The unvarnished truth

Cal Thomas will tell it like it is at Care Pregnancy Center banquet

Cal Thomas hadn’t thought much about abortion.

“It wasn’t on my radar as something I should be concerned about,” he says.

But then, in January 1973, while working for NBC News, he was forced to confront the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion. Like Norma McCorvey herself – the famous “Jane Roe” plaintiff in the case, who later renounced abortion – Thomas grew in faith and decided God is the author of life and that his creations should be honored.

Since then, Thomas, a nationally syndicated columnist whose writings appear on this page, has been one of the most articulate and ardent supporters of life. He’s been speaking on behalf of Care Pregnancy Centers – which offer comprehensive and compassionate crisis pregnancy services – for some 30 years.

He brings that message to Augusta on Thursday night as the keynote speaker at the Augusta Care Pregnancy Center Fall Banquet at the downtown Augusta Marriott.

In a phone interview, Thomas said that in his Care Pregnancy Center talks he has met the most wonderful, brave and committed women he’s ever encountered, many of whom attend with the children they chose not to abort.

“It’s an incredibly emotional thing, and I’ve never heard any of them regret their decision,” he said.

In contrast, he noted, those who’ve aborted express regrets about not having more information beforehand.

Such information, similar to that required before any surgery – or car purchase, for that matter – isn’t too much to ask and infringes on no one’s rights, Thomas maintains.

One problem is that the sex, abortion and entertainment industries make millions off the lifestyles they purvey and glorify, Thomas says.

The public dialogue doesn’t help, either, with the liberal media hyping the issue of rape, for instance. The truth: rape accounts for less than 1 percent of all abortions. And even in those cases, the child is no less innocent.

Sadly, though, the facts surrounding abortion – all of which support the life of the innocent – aren’t the issue for many people.

“In our culture, it’s about pleasure without consequences,” he said.

Thomas will share the unvarnished truth with about 580 diners Thursday night. Limited tickets are available by calling Emily at Augusta CPC, (706) 724-5531.

fedex227
fedex227 10/16/12 - 11:19 pm
Pay attention ladies.

The Augusta Chronicle proudly presents another old man who knows exactly what's best for you. After a lifetime of thinking about it, he is wise in the ways of female reproductive and life-changing issues you may face throughout the course of your lives. He is a "NATIONALLY SINDICATED COLUMNIST" for gosh sakes! Take heed.

YeCats
YeCats 10/17/12 - 12:08 am
Any ladies that use abortion

Any ladies that use abortion for birth control, well, I don't believe they would care about Mr. Thomas, his beliefs, or his job title.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/17/12 - 01:17 am
Well there you go, according

Well there you go, according to fedex227, Mr. Thomas's opinion is null and void. He's old, and he's male, therefore his opinion means nothing. Life experience, “facts and figures”, mean nothing. After all, facts are cold and hard. Feeeelings are all that matters.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/17/12 - 01:49 am
Rape Child

I beg to differ. The child concieved of rape should never be allowed to live. Can you imagine a woman having to carry a child for 9 months knowing it was concieved through violence? Are you telling me that a woman should be subjected to such torture? If your answer is yes then Aces you have no heart whatsoever.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 10/17/12 - 01:55 am
If you really want to make it "rare,"

then you should agree that it's a choice best avoided, and would surely be open to the idea of subsidized contraception for low-income Americans, which, as an investment, would more than pay for itself with a healthier and more productive future tax base. You don't really want more poor people, do you?

specsta
specsta 10/17/12 - 02:14 am
The Real Pro-Life Definition

Here's my definition of an "ardent supporter of life" - one who is concerned about the well being of people who have already been born, such as their education, safe housing, access to healthy food, access to preventative healthcare and the support of social programs that provide a safety net for the poor among us.

That's REAL pro-life.

The disturbing fact is that the majority of these so-called "pro-life" right-wingers do not give a rat's behind about those already born, as opposed to their complete devotion and worship of a mass of cells and zygotes.

justthefacts
20255
justthefacts 10/17/12 - 07:34 am
Wow shrimp

"The CHILD concieved of rape should never be allowed to live." And you say the Chronicle doesn't have a heart?? Ah heck, just kill the thing..

mikesaul
mikesaul 10/17/12 - 07:35 am
"subsidized contraception for low-income Americans"

The only problem with that concept, and it isn't a small one, is that a majority of those "low-income Americans" would NEVER utilize the one thing, free or not, that would prevent them from generating another welfare-supported child...They don't consider not having the child unless it suddenly becomes a hindrance to some other pleasures of theirs.

If we ever want to change that mind-set, we need to stop paying for unsupportable child-births! "Love is all you need" to create a child, but ti sure isn't "all you need" to support and raise it! That takes responsibility, common sense, intelligence, and (gasp) SACRIFICE!

Jane18
Jane18 10/17/12 - 07:46 am
Name-Calling by Specsta

Last night I agreed with you on one of your comments, but, today(as most times)I have to disagree. I am a, as you called us, "so-called prolife right winger". And you are soooooo wrong about us not caring about children already born! We care about them being able to make it into this world, and in organizations(and personally) the health and welfare of a child after it has been born. Many of us give time and monies to help those that need help. To say I resent your remark is putting it mildly, you need to be careful how you categorize people and their organizations. I don't agree with abortion, but I can see when a woman might need one: health reasons, and if she has been raped and cannot live with the reality of a child from that rape. As the article said, babies are innocent, but, if there is any question as to the woman not being able to cope and live with the pregnacy and having that child, so be it. If she is wrong and if I am wrong, then that's between us and GOD, no one else! Oh yeah, on your cells and zygotes, a zygote is the cell that is formed from one reproductive cell(gamete) uniting with another. So maybe until one knows for sure they are pregnant, in a few weeks or a month, you can call "it" whatever you want. And if you have ever seen a miscarriage, you would see a very, very, tiny human being--a baby human being!!

Angie H
Angie H 10/17/12 - 07:53 am
I wonder if fedex would

I wonder if fedex would render MY opinion null and void, since I disagree?

"The CHILD concieved of rape should never be allowed to live."

I sure am glad that the value of MY life isn't dependent on the morality of my parents.

Jane18
Jane18 10/17/12 - 08:04 am
One more thing...........

....when I say I do not agree with abortion, I am saying I do Not agree with it as a "convenience" or a means of "birth control. If someone doesn't want to have children, then they should know what to do or not to do before having sex.How much clearer can we say it?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/17/12 - 08:20 am
That's right justthefacts

Abort the child of rape.
What woman would want to carry the child of a violent rape.
How do you think the child would feel being concieved in such a way?
Abort it.

Angie H
Angie H 10/17/12 - 08:25 am
I personally don't hold my

I personally don't hold my child responsible for how he or she is conceived. That is utter cruelty. No woman wants to be raped, but to hold the child responsible for it is nonsense.

"Better off dead" is just heartless. If my father were a rapist, I would be THANKFUL that my mother didn't kill me because of it.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/17/12 - 08:30 am
Angie

Angie H
Angie H 10/17/12 - 08:34 am
Then YOU should be the one to

Then YOU should be the one to decide if you die or not....Your mother shouldn't be allowed to assume she knows how you would feel about it.

Techfan
Techfan 10/17/12 - 08:35 am
Since Mr. Thomas (as well as

Since Mr. Thomas (as well as the 2 GOP candidates) don't even believe in contraception, I don't think anyone who uses any type of birth control would care about Mr. Thomas, his beliefs, or his job title.
CPC is an organization that tries to pass as a medical center when in reality it's a nothing but a religious organization. False medical information, false advertising. There's nothing quite like a religious organization that's willing to lie to get you in the door, and give you false information when they get you there. http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/media/fact-sheets/abortion-cpcs.pdf

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/12 - 08:37 am
Reminder

Jon Lester posted:

. . . then you should . . . surely be open to the idea of subsidized contraception for low-income Americans. . . .

Remember that subsidized contraception for low-income Americans has been in place for decades in every county in the country. The trouble is, as mikesaul mentioned, is that many don't avail themselves of the entitlement.

Now, if you want a radical idea, we could use force. How about that, Jon?

Angie H
Angie H 10/17/12 - 08:41 am
Yet another liberal who tries

Yet another liberal who tries to render someone's opinion null and void.

You were right Young Fred....they do it all the time....I guess it's an easy way to win a debate.

Maybe I should try it.

Techfan....you are a man, so I don't know why anyone would listen to YOUR opinion on the topic....you don't know what you are talking about.

That was easy.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/17/12 - 08:57 am
Ok Angie you make a good point.

I just wonder how many women would want to carry a child for 9 months knowing it was concieved violently.
No love just a vicious attack on a woman who not only did not ask for it but must have been a traumatic experience.
I asked my wife to get a fresh opinion and she said she wouldn't be able to get an abortion fast enough.

Angie H
Angie H 10/17/12 - 08:58 am
Sure it's traumatic...but

Sure it's traumatic...but that doesn't mean the child doesn't deserve to live. I find it incredibly selfish to put your own feelings above the life of an innocent child.

Tullie
Tullie 10/17/12 - 09:02 am
Shrimp said:

Angie How would you feel knowing you were a child of rape? If it would be OK with you then I commend you. Personally I would not want to live under those circumstances.

Shrimp, I beg to differ with you. I believe many women could realize that the child had nothing to do with the circumstances of how they were conceived.

I know personally a child born of rape and I can tell you that I am so grateful the mother did not abort that child. I truly love that person and that person is such a good person that has made a difference in a lot of peoples lives.

People can dwell on any situation that happen in their lives, childhood, etc. The mother in this case chose life for her child, raised them the best she could, did not make the circumstance of the conception the focus of their world and it turned out ok. It was not the end of the world.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 10/17/12 - 09:04 am
We've lost our sense of justice

My, my, my, how perverted our concept of justice has become! We think children conceived by rape ought to be killed even though they've done nothing to deserve death, but we keep the rapists alive. Whew!

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 10/17/12 - 09:04 am
We've lost our sense of justice

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/17/12 - 12:43 pm
Techfan, as always....you

Techfan, as always....you post your opinion but fail to back it up with facts. Anyone can go to the Augusta Care Pregnancy Center website and see for themselves. The CPC states "The Augusta Care Pregnancy Center is a non-profit Christian ministry created for sharing the good news about Jesus Christ with all we come in contact. We also strive to raise a standard showing God's concern for mothers and their unborn babies"

According to the website they provide parenting and relationship classes, an infant care program while mothers attend classes, program and classes for women who have been both physically and mentally abused, they have on their website the information on types of abortion, how it effects you, and classes for women who are post abortion.

So to say they give false information or claim to be a medical center is just another hatefilled false opinion.

specsta
specsta 10/17/12 - 05:23 pm
The Historical Record

Shrimp for breakfast wrote: "The child concieved of rape should never be allowed to live. Can you imagine a woman having to carry a child for 9 months knowing it was concieved through violence? Are you telling me that a woman should be subjected to such torture?"

That decision is solely up to the mother.

The fact is, a significant amount of the current human population would not be here if every baby conceived of rape were not allowed to live. The historical record is quite clear about this (African women raped by white slave-owners, Native-American women raped by white settlers, rape as a method to control people in current war-torn Africa nations, rape camps in the Bosnian war, and Nazi Germany, for example).

The psychological implications of a pregnancy from rape are severe. However, it can only be the decision of the mother whether or not to bear that child. But a mandate preventing that abortion or requiring that abortion would be detestable.

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/17/12 - 06:50 pm
Facts and liberals are like

Facts and liberals are like oil and water. They do not mix.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 10/17/12 - 07:44 pm
The Great Ronald Reagan Once Said...

"I've noticed everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”

KSL
120958
KSL 10/17/12 - 09:38 pm
How do you have an opinion if

How do you have an opinion if you don't exist? Catchy statement, but one of his stupid ones.

fedex227
fedex227 10/17/12 - 09:43 pm
Just as an aside ...

What I find amazing is that every right-wing nut job has the perception that all Democrats are pro-abortion. I am actually pro-life and if my daughter ever came to me seeking advice concerning whether or not to have an abortion (for whatever reason), I would try to persuade her to have the child and put it up for adoption if she felt she was unable to adequately provide for that child emotionally or financially; in other words, do what was in the best interest of the child. But ultimately the decision would be hers and I would support her no matter what decision she makes. And I think the Augusta Chronicle, Cal Thomas, and others, should not try to impose their morals and religious beliefs on others who might disagree. In this country a woman has the right to choose. In some countries, that right is taken away. Women are deemed subservient and must bow to the political and religious doctrine imposed by the leaders of those countries. I’m glad I live here.

KSL
120958
KSL 10/17/12 - 09:54 pm
In 1969 I was given the

In 1969 I was given the decision to make as to having an abortion, legally before Roe v Wade. It was before all the fancy tests that could test for everything under the sun. We chose not to. And the choice was right. My scholar athlete son was rewarded richly.