The real war on women

Fourteen-year-old Pakistani girl should be new face of the fight

“Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.”

– George W. Bush, in a speech to a Joint Session of Congress
in September 2001

It took about 11 years for that memo to get to Pakistan.

We’ll see what good it does even now.

President George W. Bush was pilloried for putting the war against terror in such plain, unequivocal terms. But he was right then and he is right now. The Taliban, al-Qaida and other terrorists are the enemy of every civilized human being on Earth.

Only three governments ever officially recognized the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan: Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan. After the attacks on the U.S. in 2001, launched from Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates cut ties with the Taliban. Pakistan never did – and, in fact, has provided the Taliban – and Osama bin Laden, until his death – a safe haven inside Pakistan ever since.

Now that an outspoken and courageous 14-year-old Pakistani girl has been shot and critically injured by the Taliban – for wanting nothing more than an education for females – Pakistanis seem to be awakening, finally, to the monsters in their midst.

Or maybe they’ll just kowtow to the Taliban some more: Reports indicate Pakistani families may be less willing to send girls to school now.

And, as one report noted, a recent public show of support for the wounded girl, Malala Yousufzai, “pales in comparison to the tens of thousands of people who held violent protests in Pakistan last month against a film produced in the United States that denigrated Islam’s Prophet Muhammad.”

Clearly, some people in Pakistan get it. But do enough?

“Malala Yousufzai is a beacon of knowledge. She is the daughter of the nation,” one supporter said.

If so, she may be an orphan – unless the rest of the civilized folks in Pakistan rally behind her and against the terrorists. Pakistan has the same choice to make today that George W. Bush referred to in 2001.

Of course, back then it was someone else’s ox – ours – that was getting gored. Now it’s a 14-year-old Pakistani girl’s. And she is only the latest victim of that mob of Neanderthals. There have been many others.

Malala Yousufzai is a victim of the real war on women – a war, it must be said, that U.S. and NATO forces have been waging, against the evil creatures who would shoot a child in the head for promoting the education of girls.

There is a war on women in the world, and we’re on the side of the women.

It’s about time Pakistan signed up with us.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/16/12 - 04:05 am
ACES

I believe that certain countries in the middle east keep their women in chains because if they were to succeed it would bruise the fragile male ego of the men. They make their women dress so that you cant see what they look like. I believe this is so men wont look at other men's wives. They are so afraid that a woman might find a man besides her husband "cute" that they dress them like darth vader.

carcraft
carcraft 10/16/12 - 05:34 am
Shrimp spent a few months in

Shrimp spent a few months in Saudi during Desert Shield and Desert Storm and you are correct!

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 10/16/12 - 05:39 am
Not another war, please

Let's remember that our nation is financially broke. We can't afford to keep fighting other nation's wars with money borrowed from the Chinese.

If the ACES wants more fighting, let's follow the Constitution by having Congress declare war and by persuading citizens to pay for the war by buying U.S. savings bonds.

Angie H
Angie H 10/16/12 - 08:06 am
Shrimp....can't say I

Shrimp....can't say I disagree with you, but I have to point out this:

"it would bruise the fragile male ego of the men. "

A bit redundant.

harley_52
harley_52 10/16/12 - 09:31 am
What A Great Editorial...

This paragraph especially... "It’s laughable when Sandra Fluke becomes a liberal cause célèbre in this country because (gasp!) she’s not getting free taxpayer-funded contraceptives in order to enjoy as much consequence-free sex as she’d like – and her “plight” becomes evidence of a “war on women.” Democrats in this country should forever be shamed by that gross perversion of the term, and the resulting trivialization of the true plight of women around the world."

The democrat party has so perverted reality in this Country that it really approaches the absurd.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/16/12 - 09:47 am
huffington post articles:

"Actress seen on red carpet in low-cut slinky dress". "Republicans hate women". "Typical Walmart" women shoppers and a crude photograph. "Republicans hate women". "Actress caught in love triangle". "Republicans hate women". "Octomom wants another child". "Republicans hate women". "Octomom denied claim for 52nd child". "Republicans hate women".

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/16/12 - 10:17 am
Ditto Harley

Absolutely on target. We are heading into the pay-off for allowing such a morally stunted and obtuse bunch of people to get into positions of power, and even more than it has been, it will be very costly to us as a nation.

Angie H
Angie H 10/16/12 - 10:43 am
I certainly don't expect

I certainly don't expect anyone to pay for MY birth control.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/16/12 - 11:34 am
The only war on women is the

The only war on women is the one that is driving up the cost of food for their families, gasoline for their soccer mom vans, health insurance for their families, and that's driving down the value of their dollars. And THAT war is being waged by the energy and monetary policies of the current administration.

You can fall for the "birth control pill" war if you want to but that is a case of not seeing the forest for all of the trees in the way.

HomeinHarlem
HomeinHarlem 10/16/12 - 11:57 am
Don't dislocate your arm

Don't dislocate your arm, patting yourself on the backs like that ACES. Out of all the places I have lived, I have never felt like I was a lesser person because I was a woman. Living in Georgia has changed that, and it's not fun. When I read comments like those made by Harley about birth control, it makes me sick. Never mind the fact that Planned Parenthood also provides condoms and treatments for STD's for for MEN as well. But hey, those women must be having so much sex with themselves, that they have the ability to impregnate themselves. And if you suffer from heavy monthly cycles and need birth control pills to get some relief from the awful cramping, bloating and headaches, a woman must be a slut who wants to enjoy "consequence-free sex"

When it took the Augusta National 80 years to admit women as members, I have to roll my eyes in disgust. In the 21st century, I have had my behind slapped by an elected official when I approached him about a problem with people driving too fast down a street where kids are walking home from school.

I've been told by a male employer during a performance review for work, that I should consider dressing less conservatively, wearing more makeup and getting a different hairstyle because "men spend more money when they have something sexy to look at"

I'm sure someone will point out the Chronicle's "war on breast cancer" as evidence that they care about women, but there are many other issues that affect women such as heart disease,strokes,cervical cancers and diabetes. Of course, those health issues don't generally cause women to loose their breasts, so apparently they aren't as important to raise awareness for.

Ya'll might not be calling for us to wear a burka, but you're not far behind.

Angie H
Angie H 10/16/12 - 12:50 pm
I certainly have NO problem

I certainly have NO problem with Harley's post. The truth is hard for some to swallow, but he speaks it anyway. I respect that.

"Ya'll might not be calling for us to wear a burka, but you're not far behind."

What an absurd statement.

scoobynews
scoobynews 10/16/12 - 01:00 pm
Harlem has been in Harlem for too long.

The point was to compare that the plight of women being mistreated all of the world is a true "war against women" not the fact that planned parenthood is threatened. In fact I saw those silly celeb commercials about how there was a "war" on women being able to get the healthcare they deserve. Since when do we deserve to be given birth control. I pay for mine. I don't think it is any one else's responsibility but mine. My body my responsibility. I think some people need to read up on how women are treated in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East before they start thinking we have a "war" here in the US.

Angie H
Angie H 10/16/12 - 01:23 pm
Too many on the left believe

Too many on the left believe that without government funding, nothing can exist. They feel the same about PBS, birth control, endowment for the arts......the list goes on.

harley_52
harley_52 10/16/12 - 01:59 pm
Homeinharlem....

I'm sorry if you feel so badly treated in Georgia, and particularly in Harlem. Having traveled around the world and lived on several continents, I can't imagine what it is about Georgia and especially Harlem, Georgia that causes you to feel so diminished as a woman.

Is it the legal system in Harlem? The Harlem police? The citizens of Harlem? The schools? The way they treat you in the grocery stores? I'd love to hear the specifics because my wife and I have visited Harlem often and never noticed the anti-woman sentiment that diminishes you so.

As for me, I love women. I have one wife (a female), two children (both females), and two grandchildren (both girls). I love them all dearly and treat them accordingly. As a matter of fact, most all the pets I can remember having since I was a child were females.

My comment about the absurdity of what comes out of the political left makes plenty of sense to normal people who understand that to claim there is a "war on women" by the Republican party is nothing short of ludicrous. Nobody treats women better than Americans and among Americans, nobody treats women better than Conservatives. I know absolutely nothing about you beyond the post to which I am responding, but I'm going to suggest if you feel so terribly diminished in Georgia and, particularly Harlem Georgia, it's probably much more a function of your circle of friends/family than it is any broader sociological pattern.

Maybe you need to get out a little more.

burninater
burninater 10/16/12 - 02:05 pm
Kind of depressing that for

Kind of depressing that for some people, the most pertinent point of an editorial about the violent oppression of women is that it makes Democrats look bad.

Angie H
Angie H 10/16/12 - 02:33 pm
Well...it IS the Democrats

Well...it IS the Democrats that have conjured up the fictional "war on women" when there really IS a war on women in other parts of the world. It DOES make them lool pretty bad. The violence against women around the world isn't what makes the Democrats look bad. It's the fact that they exploit the term "war on women" and apply it to situations where it doesn't belong.

burninater
burninater 10/16/12 - 02:45 pm
So do you think that's the

So do you think that's the point of this editorial? That speaking about the plight of women under the Taliban is really just a pretext to throw a jab in the national political fight? What do you think is the intent of the ACES, and those posters who thought the Fluke paragraph was "especially" "great", when they use victimization of women under the Taliban as a vehicle for attacking Democratic rhetoric? What do you think their level of sincerity is, when their focus is on how the fact of the former provides an excellent opportunity to attack the latter?

Angie H
Angie H 10/16/12 - 02:55 pm
The title of the editorial is

The title of the editorial is "The Real War on Women." As opposed to what? I think you are reading this editorial differently from the rest of us. The Editorial is about how the left is trivializing real abuse of women by saying that I shouldn't have to pay for someone else's birth control is "war on women." THAT is what makes them look bad. It's sort of like throwing the race card for any and all perceived injustices. It diminishes REAL racism.

harley_52
harley_52 10/16/12 - 03:10 pm
Democrats...

...invented the term "war on women," invented the circumstances they use to advertise it, invented the notion that American society SHOULD pay for an adult woman's birth control pills/devices, and ignore and trivialize the REAL "war on women" that exists throughout the muslim world. And ALL of it, for political gain.

Democrats don't need any help from the ACES, or from me, to make themselves "look bad."

They do just fine all by themselves.

burninater
burninater 10/16/12 - 03:42 pm
Ah, I'm reading it the way

Ah, I'm reading it the way you're reading it now Angie. I thought the editorial was about the plight of women under the Taliban, not an exercise in using that plight as a convenient political hit piece. Thank you for the clarification.

harley_52
harley_52 10/16/12 - 03:54 pm
Let Me Help, burninater...

....I know these things are sometimes difficult.

The Editorial is about the hypocrisy of the democrat party creating a "war on women" where none exists, while ignoring the real "war on women" throughout the muslim world (the Editorial highlights Pakistan and the Taliban, but the problem is a broader one).

Who was trotted out and given a prime speaking role at the democrat convention a few weeks ago to address this critical issue? Was it a woman who had experienced first hand the terror of being oppressed by fanatical muslim males, or was it a former student at an ivy league college whose claim to fame was that she made a big stink about getting publicly subsidized birth control pills?

Who is REALLY concerned about women and who is REALLY politicizing the "war on women?"

Hmmmmmm?

burninater
burninater 10/16/12 - 04:07 pm
...

---------
Harley, I feel pretty comfortable in putting people who exploit the attempted assassination of a 14-year old girl, Malala Yousufzai, to score partisan points in the latter category.

harley_52
harley_52 10/16/12 - 04:10 pm
"Laughably Asurd"...

....I don't hear one peep out of the Obama Administration regarding the maltreatment and oppression of women by muslim fundamentalists like, for example, those who just took over in Egypt. The Muslim Brotherhood is involved in genocide against Christians and oppression and brutalization of women. What does the Obama Administration do about it? They increase foreign aid to the radicals.

The Iranian civilians attempted to overthrow the mullahs and Ahmadinijad a couple of years ago and were shooting women in the streets. They begged us for support. What did the Obama Administration do? They ignored the plight of the Iranian women (and men) and headed out the door for another round of golf.

What is it that's "laughably absurd?" It's using Sandra Fluck as proof there's a "war on women" coming from the democrat party who hold women in such high regard.

burninater
burninater 10/16/12 - 04:22 pm
You're a quick typing hand,

You're a quick typing hand, I'll give you that -- I edited the "laughably absurd" post because it was basically a repeat of the one before it. But, since you take issue with it, it's only fair that I address it.

In Egypt, what do you think would would be more damaging to women? A stable and secular gov't assisted by emergency funds, or a collapsed gov't and a descent into interfactional violence?

And as far as Iran goes, I think our actions there have a little less to do with who's playing golf and a little more to do with who's military was overstretched by two wars overseas and years of extended deployments.

I agree, if we had a magic wand, it would have been great to wave it over Egypt and Iran. Unfortuntely, we live in a real world, not a radio studio where the only primary reality is the voice echoing in our own head. Policy needs to be crafted with reality, not just-so-stories, in mind.

burninater
burninater 10/16/12 - 04:49 pm
....I don't hear one peep out

--------
Let me help you.

"The U.S. secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, on Monday accused post-revolution Egypt of failing its women and denounced the stripping and beating of a female protester as “shocking” and a “disgrace."
In unusually strong language, the impassioned Clinton accused Egypt’s new leaders of mistreatment of women both on the street and in politics since the street revolt nearly a year ago that overthrew leader Hosni Mubarak.

“This systematic degradation of Egyptian women dishonors the revolution, disgraces the state and its uniform and is not worthy of a great people,” Clinton said in a speech at Georgetown University, according to AFP.

She denounced a “deeply troubling pattern” of military authorities and the major political parties alike keeping Egyptian women out of decision-making.

“At the same time, they have been specifically targeted both by security forces and extremists,” the top U.S. diplomat said.

“Women protesters have been rounded up and subjected to horrific abuse. Journalists have been sexually assaulted and now women are being attacked, stripped and beaten in the streets.”

"Responding later to a question by a student, Clinton said that Egyptians and not Americans should be the first ones disturbed by poor treatment of women.

“Beating women is not cultural, it’s criminal and it needs to be addressed and treated as such,” she said to applause.

That's just to directly refute your specific charge. In general, the treatment of women globally has been a CORNERSTONE of diplomatic action under Clinton in the Obama administration. You are poorly informed on this issue.

harley_52
harley_52 10/16/12 - 05:15 pm
" You are poorly informed on this issue."

Not at all.

As usual, democrats confuse talk with action.

It's much like the democrat favorite, the United Nations. Ruthless dictators slaughter their own citizens, invade their neighbors' territory, threaten to "wipe" sovereign nations "off the map" and the total extent of United Nations response is usually to "express outrage." Meanwhile, back at the ranch, people are being tortured and slaughtered, women are being raped and abused, children undergo unspeakable horrors and what do democrats do? They "denounce." They "express outrage." They whine, they whimper, and they otherwise ignore. There aren't many things more ineffective in standing up to brutal dictators and inhumane behavior than the United Nations, but the Obama Administration is one of them.

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/16/12 - 08:29 pm
The AC staff has it pretty

The AC staff has it pretty much correct about the democrats, honesty and sincerity among them is akin to virtue amongst prostitutes. The real solution to our involement in the middle east is to find a viable and affordable alternative to oil as our primary fuel source and change the exchange rate with them to a barrell of corn for a barrell of oil, just for generosity on our part. If they don't like it, they could eat their oil or sell it to China and Russia, we would have our own thing going. Then, besides protecting Israel, we could pretty much ignore the fools, let them stone each other to death and chop heads off and all that other stupid nutty stuff they still do there, I know I would be glad to let them disintergtate into oblivion, forever hopefully.

fedex227
fedex227 10/16/12 - 10:25 pm
What a joke.

Ladies, there is no 'war on women' in this country, so says the male dominated ACE staff. Now get back to the kitchen where you belong.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/16/12 - 11:19 pm
fedex22710/16/12 - 10:25 pm

You forgot to add "And make sure you get my shirt ironed for tommorrow, Sugah!"

Angie H
Angie H 10/17/12 - 07:49 am
"Ladies, there is no 'war on

"Ladies, there is no 'war on women' in this country, so says the male dominated ACE staff.

So says this woman as well. Nice attempt to belittle someone's facts though.