Protecting God's children

Child abuse strikes worst blows on the most vulnerable among us

How many children do you have?

No matter your life situation, maybe the proper answer is none. You don’t really “have” children. And they’re not “yours.”

For one thing, they’re God’s children, not yours. For another thing, you don’t “have” them so much as you host them for the first couple of decades of their lives – or much longer, in some Western European countries.

If more people understood that – that children don’t belong to us – we’d have a lot fewer abused, neglected and deceased children on our hands.

Consider the case of Elizabeth Escalona of Dallas, Texas – who has been shipped off to prison for 99 years because she thought “having” a child gave her the authority to beat a poor little 2-year-old and glue her tiny hands to the wall in order to explain the finer points of going to the bathroom. Yes. You can find that tip in most potty training books. Not.

The little girl “suffered bleeding in her brain, a fractured rib, multiple bruises and bite marks, and was in a coma for a couple of days,” according to the Associated Press. “You savagely beat your child to the edge of death,” the judge told her.

Well, for his part, Roger Anthony Williams didn’t stop at the edge. He perpetrated one of the most sickening cases of child abuse you’ll ever hear about, right in Moncks Corner, S.C., in June 2010. Mr. Williams abused his 2-year-old son Rodricus Williams over time until the boy died, apparently from a blow to the head. Williams then wiped the boy’s body with peroxide to remove finger prints, wrapped it in trash bags and encased it in a barrel of cement.

He was dutifully and expeditiously convicted Thursday and sentenced to life in prison.

When you think you “have” children, and therefore seek to control them as opposed to guide and nurture them, then one supposes you can rationalize tactics that, if used on terror suspects, would be considered torture.

Have you ever known anyone who was literally tortured as a child? We have. And we can tell you that the damage is bottomless and lifelong.

Let’s be clear about this: No one – not a parent, not a legal guardian, not a concentration camp guard – has the right to abuse or torture another human being, regardless of that person’s youth or diminutive size.

Children are born into a world of giants who are, by mere virtue of our size, intimidating enough. We needn’t raise our hands to our little friends or in any other way torment them.

Especially since they’re not ours to begin with.

We encourage you to enlist in the effort to protect children however you can. In the Central Savannah River Area, Child Enrichment Inc. helps abandoned, abused, neglected and sexually abused children. Contact Child Enrichment at (706) 737-4631, www.childenrichment.org.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/15/12 - 05:04 am
Your life should revolve

Your life should revolve around taking care of your kids. I am so sorry for abused kids. I know about the lifelong effects. Enough.

Tullie
Tullie 10/15/12 - 05:40 am
Elizabeth Escalona

The child welfare agency put all of her children in foster care after Jocelyn was taken to the hospital. All five of them, including Jocelyn, are now in the custody of their grandmother, Oefelia Escalona.

Elizabeth is 23 years old and has five children, including one born since her arrest.

She has admitted to taking drugs and drinking, says she is not a liar, no mention of fther(s) so far in any searches I have done on this woman.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/12 - 06:15 am
The damage

Sometimes the damage can't be undone...I have seen this too many times.....

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/15/12 - 07:01 am
Man!

What a bummer!

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/15/12 - 10:09 am
ACES writes: "Let’s be clear

ACES writes: "Let’s be clear about this: No one – not a parent, not a legal guardian, not a concentration camp guard – has the right to abuse or torture another human being,"

I heartily agree with all the points made in this editorial. I also hold the ACES in contempt of it's own words, until this thought is extended to ALL of God's children, regardless of age, race, creed, gender or sexual orientation.

Our government, in our names, has and continues to endorse torture of human beings through the process of rendition to governments who still use torture of the most barbaric sorts.

No doubt I will see a barrage of disclaimers, excuses, justifying rationalization and angry rebuttals if not cowardly thumbs down to this comment. However, as a former combat soldier who has seen much of the worst that human beings are capable of and then justified in the name of God, I will continue to speak against both torture and hypocrisy at any opportunity.

Oh, and the "they do it too" arguement doesn't float with me. Our purpose should be to rise above that sort of thinking.

faithson
faithson 10/15/12 - 10:25 am
Houston, I think we have a problem...

There must be an ethical answer to these women who birth children with no acumen to parent them. If we truly held children in the regard so many espouse, we would take 'action' to give them parents worthy of our 'ideals'.

grouse
grouse 10/15/12 - 11:00 am
Funny, that the all-powerful

Funny, that the all-powerful God needs us to protect children, many times from his own priests...

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/15/12 - 11:01 am
faithson

Maybe that is why the AC informed us of the website noted in the article. So, people could take action.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/15/12 - 11:02 am
grouse

Why is that funny?

faithson
faithson 10/15/12 - 11:08 am
jtf

action AFTER the fact... I was speaking of 'before' the FACT. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure from the wisdom literature comes to mind.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/15/12 - 11:21 am
Great idea

Love to hear your thoughts on it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/15/12 - 01:15 pm
RA "However, as a former

RA "However, as a former combat soldier who has seen much of the worst that human beings are capable of and then justified in the name of God, I will continue to speak against both torture and hypocrisy at any opportunity."

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/15/12 - 01:21 pm
grouse, I fail to see where

grouse, I fail to see where this article states that God NEEDS us to protect his children. I'm thinking more like He commands us to take care of His children but then He's not Lord over everyone's life so why should they listen to Him. Most do as they please, that includes poor parenting or actually none at all.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/15/12 - 01:49 pm
In Christs Love asks:"Please

In Christs Love asks:"Please expound on when and where, as a former combat soldier, you have seen humans being torture in the name of God here in the US?"

What in the fiddlesticks of all creation does this have to do with the statement?

Sean Moore will rightfully not allow me to type exactly what I think of THAT question, but absurd would be rather a mild form of response. I'll put it down to lack of coffee and leave it at that.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/15/12 - 01:53 pm
God specifically spoke about

God specifically spoke about the wrath that is to come to anyone who harms his little one's. Whenever He begins with,"Woe, unto you," it is going to be horrendous.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/15/12 - 03:03 pm
RA, after doing some word

RA, after doing some word search on the term you used "process of rendition to governments " I have a clearier picture of what you are referring to. I still fail to see how this is done in the name of God.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/15/12 - 03:36 pm
RA, My coffee intake for

RA, My coffee intake for today has met it's quota but since someone has your back and my comment was pulled refer to my 3:03pm comment. I now understand your previous comment (not that I agree with your view) but if you had been polite we could have avoided this misunderstanding. Referring to your lack of vocabulary since you were worried about getting your post pulled, was not polite and I do apologies, and to whomever reported my post, so childish is all I can say.

faithson
faithson 10/15/12 - 03:37 pm
jtf

that is the rub. it would be MY thoughts. I think we need more of a collective to address just where we are and the problems inherit in allowing the status quo to go on. Once the issues are articulated, again a good debate should be had about ethical ways to address them. These discussions need to be open, without the usual 'we don't want to talk about that' attitude that is so inherit in so many discussions these days.

YeCats
YeCats 10/16/12 - 12:25 am
I agree totally with the

I agree totally with the editors. I just see the "mechanics", 180'.

My Mother would give her life for HER children, (all 45+). I have seen her demonstrate the closest thing to agape love, for us. "Mother" is a special title, and not just given because of childbirth.

Same for "Father".

This lady and man, referenced in this editorial, as well as all who treat their children as distractions, are surely not parents. They are are part of the selfishness, "it's all about me", characters that even our governments have enabled, as if we couldn't just do it on our own, with no extra help. When we were going to school, every morning, we had breakfast with Momma. Breakfast that she had fixed, lovingly. It's my most special memory of childhood. Her taking time with us, before we went to school. Now,,,, the children can get breakfast at school, because no one will take the time to feed them. Thank you, school boards, for raising the children, and giving the parent(s) time to do other stuff, whatever.

And while I've got the truck backed up, I might as well dump the whole load: And if a single lady becomes pregnant, the government will pay for the pregnancy full term, IF she doesn't get married. So much for promoting family.

Thank-you, ACES, for recognizing His ownership. Yes, we all belong to God. And one great day, all accounts will be settled by Him. He gives the children to us. And we should love and respect them, for the rest of our lives.

rebellious
20780
rebellious 10/16/12 - 12:28 am
Late Thoughts on this subject

I admit to NOT having read all of the comments on this today, but I sincerely hope many read this thought.

Whether at Church, or School, or in the neighborhood, get to know the kids. Build a bond. Don't always act like a stodgy old person. Sometimes cut up with them. Ask questions if they have drawn something on their hand, if they wear new clothes make a comment. When you get to know them, they can be really cool little folks. Always remember many have horrible home lives. Parental love and guidance is mostly absent. Be an adult friend. They know you are grown. They know you are going bald. They also, many times need someone to talk to and vent with. They need to know that someone loves them and cares without being judgmental.

I voluntarily adopted this role at my church. Kids will now ask for permission, with signs and eye contact, from across the church to go to the restroom! We have reduced the teenage "Popup" (where they leave the congregation 15 times during the service) to roughly 1 to 3 times. I called a group of the boys together, and told them that if they couldn't hold their water for 60 minutes, I was going to bring diapers and put on them. They laughed, cause we had relationships, and the pop ups started decreasing.

I get frequent chat pop ups from kids when on Facebook. They ask how I am doing. I ask how they are. They have no one else in many situations. In the course of this approach, I have uncovered borderline physical abuse. When I ask questions, I can determine whether it was just discipline, or it was abuse. When it is discipline, I talk through the disobedience that brought on the discipline. Everytime….the child really understands. The events beyond discipline, but not abuse….. I have called DEFACS once, In another situation I have met one on one with the parent to let them know that I am watching.

Bottom line, get to know the kids. They are still moldable, impressionable, and need grown up friends to provide moral compass and definition of right and wrong. If you do this, you will receive the greatest reward.
And in the process, you may save a little kids life, or at the very least, change it forever.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.