Meanwhile, back at the raunch

Academy aims low in selection of crass Oscars host

Hollywood struck crude years ago. Now, it’s going for a real gusher.

Seth MacFarlane, the King of Crude Cartoons, has been tapped as the next Oscars host – despite a rather thin résumé when it comes to either hosting or performing.

What’s the logic or goal here? To be as edgy as possible? To push the envelope and see how far it travels?

Be careful what you wish for. As condescendingly as movie elites look down their noses at ordinary Americans, particularly those with a traditional or conservative bent, the industry still depends on their ticket-buying.

It’s hard to imagine MacFarlane will go over well with Oscars viewers. His animated television series, Family Guy chief among them, and his jaw-droppingly lewd movie Ted have set new lows for raunchiness.

Is that what the Oscars are looking for? In a similar vein to the Golden Globes’ disastrous choice of ultra-offensive Ricky Gervais?

It’s the Academy’s business, of course. But the movies are an American icon, and they do set a tone for the culture, as does the Oscars telecast itself.

MacFarlane is a decidedly poor choice for that task. His productions have been rightly criticized for such things as mocking the insidiously painful Lou Gehrig’s disease and Sarah Palin’s child with Down syndrome. One episode of Family Guy took note of Florida’s epic struggle over the life of brain-damaged Terry Schiavo with “Terri Schiavo: The Musical,” in which the show’s characters sang lightheartedly about Ms. Schiavo’s “mashed potato brains.”

The Parents Television Council has repeatedly warned parents about the profanity, violence and nudity on Family Guy, an adult-themed cartoon inexplicably broadcast by Fox during prime time hours when children would be lured into the animation. The PTC has more than once classified the show as one of the “worst prime-time shows for family viewing,” and has filed complaints with the Federal Communications Commission.

The government in a free society, happily enough, is ill-equipped to arbitrate such matters. That chore is up to us. But it’s disconcerting, to say the least, that MacFarlane’s crass fare is not only a staple on television, but has now catapulted him to the same pedestal once populated by the likes of Bob Hope, Laurence Olivier, Jack Lemmon, Will Rogers and Douglas Fairbanks.

That right there tells you everything you need to know about the state of American culture.

fedex227
fedex227 10/07/12 - 11:18 pm
Poor choice I agree. Not a big Seth McFarlane fan myself.

Never could see the humor in Family Guy- maybe I'm just getting old. But with so many denunciating references to Family Guy in the editorial, I’m surprised you failed to mention that the Fox Corporation, a subsidiary of Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation produces the “worst prime-time show for family viewing.” Probably just an oversight.

Techfan
Techfan 10/08/12 - 04:26 am
The movies used to be silent

The movies used to be silent too. Ah, nostalgia.

Jane18
Jane18 10/08/12 - 05:29 am
Culture Shock!

.......and we wonder why other "cultures" look down on America now. If I am shocked and ashamed of things I hear and see in movies, television, music videos, I can understand why we are thought of as immoral.................and just plain ole' low class!

Techfan
Techfan 10/08/12 - 07:10 am
Maybe to some we're thought

Maybe to some we're thought of as immoral. For much of the world we're thought of as prudish and puritanical.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/12 - 07:15 am
Not my 1st choice but

We don't have a Bob Hope on every corner....but country music awards are not the same either...sigh.....

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/08/12 - 07:25 am
Gratuitous Gross and Gore.....

The dynamic duo of movie scripts. But we live in a sick society where detailed autopsy videos are considered entertainment.

America, where a female nipple is considered obscene and a gunshot blast to a human head exploding is art.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/08/12 - 09:13 am
Convoy of Black Sedans

We should send a convoy of black sedans to the Oscars and clean out the place. Send them all to the Gulag. Wipe out a few thousand communists will one fell swoop.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 10/08/12 - 10:57 am
Are you seriously asking me to care

about the Oscars ceremony? And why is Ricky Gervais offensive, because he's intelligent? You don't hold most entertainers in high esteem, yourselves, so why are we even talking about this?

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/08/12 - 12:02 pm
fedex727.....did you actually

fedex727.....did you actually read the article or just hit the high spots?

"profanity, violence and nudity on Family Guy, an adult-themed cartoon inexplicably broadcast by Fox during prime time hours"

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 10/08/12 - 04:17 pm
They could fish out

...Osama and prop him up as host for all I care. I don't watch either program; both are nothing more than self-congratulatory political correctness parades masquerading as entertainment.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/08/12 - 05:22 pm
Why I watch?

Once in while they have a wardrobe malfunction. Sophia at the last one.

specsta
specsta 10/08/12 - 08:49 pm
A Simple Solution For The Prudes

Here's a thought - if you don't like Family Guy, don't watch it! What an amazingly simple solution!

I choose not to watch shows like CSI due to the nonstop graphic depictions of gunshot wounds, stabbings, decapitations and other horrific means of murdering human beings. I also choose not to watch TV preachers and their fake gospel and pleas for money and bad doctrine.

But guess what? The US is a free country and just because I don't like something, it does not give me the right to tell someone else that they shouldn't like it either. To each his own.

As far as the Oscars, Seth McFarlane is an extremely talented writer and voice-over actor. His shows are cutting edge and poke fun at everything and everyone. It is that irreverence for the things that folks hold sacred that makes the shows funny and original.

F4therTime
F4therTime 10/08/12 - 09:13 pm
Wow...

I may never say this again...I agree with specsta. This is why TV's have power buttons and kids have parents. I don't want anyone telling me what to watch and what is obscene. I think I am wise enough to decide for myself.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/08/12 - 10:51 pm
Oscars

I have never watched Family Guy, but I have a hard time imagining it could be any raunchier than the Oscars Award Ceremony. That show is sickening.

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/09/12 - 06:57 am
The funny part of the

The funny part of the hollywood bunch is they ride up to these events in stretch limos, wearing expensive clothes and jewelry, brag about the new castle or mansion thet just bought, but when the cameras start rolling they speak about how evil it is to be rich. Ha!, and the democrats actually buy their BS! Unbelievable