Candidates, unfiltered

Strong debate showing confounds media, catapults Romney

Two media narratives were exploded at the presidential debate Wednesday night.

First, that the race was largely over.

Polls, some of which tend to overestimate Democratic strength anyway, were giving the president potentially decisive leads in key swing states. But it seemed likely after challenger Mitt Romney’s command performance Wednesday night that those polls would tighten, if not flip to Romney’s favor.

Second, the debate proved Mr. Romney does not, in fact, have horns on his head or a foot in his mouth, as many in the media would like you to believe. His grasp of the issues was unassailable, his demeanor genteel and compassionate, his ideas born of common sense and American ideals.

Moreover, the traditional media spin on presidential politics just doesn’t work this time around: The “mainstream” media every four years rush to depict the GOP presidential nominee or vice presidential pick as somehow intellectually deficient. They can’t do that this time, with either Mr. Romney or his razor-sharp vice presidential running mate Paul Ryan.

Meanwhile, nearly every public observer of every political stripe, from pundits to focus groups, found Barack Obama uncharacteristically flat and ineffective at the debate. There weren’t necessarily any memorable one-liners, as there often are, so what may be remembered most from this affair may be what was unsaid: the body language. Romney appeared upright, forthright and engaging; Obama seemed downright downcast.

“I don’t know what he was doing out there,” lamented inveterate Democratic cheerleader Chris Matthews of hard-left cable network MSNBC. “He had his head down; he was enduring the debate rather than fighting it.”

“President Xanax just doesn’t cut it,” wrote The New York Times’ Charles M. Blow.

“You know how much I love the guy,” Andrew Sullivan wrote of Obama on the left-wing website The Daily Beast, “... and I can see the logic of some of Obama’s meandering, weak, professorial arguments. But this was a disaster for the president ... Obama looked tired, even bored; he kept looking down; he had no crisp statements of passion or argument; he wasn’t there. He was entirely defensive, which may have been the strategy. But it was the wrong strategy. At the wrong moment.”

And that’s from the president’s supporters. But most of the nation agreed. A post-debate poll by liberal network CNN found that an astonishing 67 percent of Americans saw Romney as the clear winner in the debate.

“No presidential candidate has topped 60 percent in that question since it was first asked in 1984,” CNN Polling Director Keating Holland was quoted on CNN’s website.

Of course, the important thing is that the Romney “win” was in a debate of substance. Again, even Democratic-leaning observers agreed it was one of the most substantive presidential debates in the television era.

In addition, this debate was America’s first look at the two candidates on the same stage – unfiltered by media spin and unaided by prepared remarks.

No doubt the president’s camp will go on the attack next debate, and it could get personal. That may well backfire. The Obama camp would love to define Mr. Romney in its own terms – but America got its own look at the candidate Wednesday, and liked what it saw and heard.

Instead, we hope the president presents a positive, specific vision for his second term. Voters deserve to have something to compare against the one presented by Mr. Romney at the first debate.

justthefacts
20027
justthefacts 10/05/12 - 10:06 am
Answer

I just like Romney in general. Do you think I should vote for President Obama?

allhans
allhans 10/05/12 - 10:07 am
On Obamacare. Romney says

On Obamacare. Romney says replace it. Let each state write its own plan, a plan that is good for their particular area. A plan like Romneycare in Massachusetts. Leave healthcare to the people - and do away with the huge federally controlled Obamacare package.

TParty
TParty 10/05/12 - 10:15 am
Romney can be more liberal

Romney can be more liberal than Obama- so I just find it weird the far right loves him. It's feels like the people who love Obama, without even knowing where he stands. Did Obama sign any stricter guns laws? Did Obama do anything different than Romney when it comes to health care?
And no, shouldn’t vote for Obama, but there is a third party candidate that is not an etch-n-sketch, who is conservative.

justthefacts
20027
justthefacts 10/05/12 - 10:27 am
Sorry

To important an election to pee your vote away on someone who has no prayer.

TParty
TParty 10/05/12 - 10:34 am
Just vote for Romney, it's

Just vote for Romney, it's literally a crap shoot!!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/05/12 - 10:39 am
OBAMA Campaign Now Using Gestapo Tactics

Since neither CBS or the NAACP can be considered Pro-Right wing Extremists, there must be some credibility to the report, and the illegal actions.

A Chicago CBS station reported NAACP area President David Lowery stated he was threatened during a phone conversation with Louis Raymond, the Illinois political director for Obama for America.

Lowery said Obama Political Director Raymond added, “We’ve been watching you, and since you don’t support Obama, we’ll deal with you,” before hanging up.

Lowery filed a report with the Oak Forest police report, he says, “in case something happens.”

Sure sounds like Obama has his Thugs working the phones and they don't care who they threaten or beat up, even the NAACP. In order to get him reelected.

Evil Regal
Evil Regal 10/05/12 - 10:53 am
Ok, here's the truth, and

Ok, here's the truth, and most folks will not want to hear it. Whoever wins the election this year will be known as the "recovery" president. It will happen in the next 4 years whether a dem or a repub is elected. Whoever wins will get the added advantage of the economy beginning to rebound. In the last election, many of us knew that the economy would not be able to recover from the previous administration's mistakes in just 4 years, so either McCain or Obama would be vilified for that, depending on who won. You may not like the truth, but it doesn't change facts. Some of us can see beyond blind partisanship.

justthefacts
20027
justthefacts 10/05/12 - 11:02 am
"Some of us can see beyond blind partisanship"

Would that include you? Or are you more enlightened that the rest of us?

bubbasauce
20572
bubbasauce 10/05/12 - 11:14 am
Amen on Wayne2410's 6:01

Amen on Wayne2410's 6:01 post. It's all over but the crying . Now we're going to have to listen to that for 4 years! Oh wait, unemployment just went to 7.8%. Obama saved us. Hail to the almighty chief! Can't wait to see him announce that on national news.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 10/05/12 - 11:22 am
Seriously,

were any of you waiting to see the debate before deciding how you'd vote? I knew four years ago, so I went and did something else Wednesday night.

Evil Regal
Evil Regal 10/05/12 - 11:36 am
"Would that include you? Or

"Would that include you? Or are you more enlightened that the rest of us?"

Yes it would. Not the more "enlightened" part because I don't think I'm better than anyone else here. But I don't identify with either major party and plan on voting 3rd party in this election. Socially I do lean left but fiscally I am very conservative.

justthefacts
20027
justthefacts 10/05/12 - 11:42 am
Evil Regal

"Socially I do lean left but fiscally I am very conservative." So do I. So, I find it hard to believe you would throw your vote away and risk allowing the current administration to drive the National Debt through the roof. Call me skeptical of your intentions.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/05/12 - 12:02 pm
if obumler gets re-elected

if obumler gets re-elected the economy WILL NOT recover he has no designs on recovery..he has stated that he isnt finished yet ..so we will have more rules and regulations to kill business and to make things fair...he will continue to spend trillions more than what we dont have. plus obumler health care kicks in next year further penalizing business with costs and costs that they havent even come up with..dirty little secret is that most rules havent even been implemented yet or written..its left to secrtary of health another commie..

TParty
TParty 10/05/12 - 12:19 pm
This is Romney's endgame. He

This is Romney's endgame. He knows that the time from the first debate to the last is his last chance to do anything to change the election, so in typical Romney fashion, he is flipping every unpopular stance and policy he has carried to this point. Mitt can yell the "I'm a far-right Conservative!" war cry when on the campaign trail, but that doesn't fly on the national stage. Within a week he has suddenly morphed himself into a moderate who has been championing these policies all along. During the debate, Obama looked like a deer caught in headlights because he just couldn't believe the [filtered word] that was coming out of Romney’s mouth.

-First he backed up his 47% claim, now he says he was wrong

-First he supported a tax plan that would cut taxes on the wealthy, now he apparently does not.

-Says he would completely repeal Obamacare, now he says he would keep popular aspects like the pre-existing condition clause.

-First he was apposed to any additional regulation on Wall-St., now apparently he supports regulation

and that was only in the last week...

TParty
TParty 10/05/12 - 12:25 pm
"if obumler gets re-elected

"if obumler gets re-elected the economy WILL NOT recover"

You misspelled Obama. Economy is recovering. The stocks are up 65% since Obama took office. Job report today, 7.8%. Under 8%. Recently how many American waited in lines for a new phone they didn’t need?

Economy is recovering. You can attempt to make argument that it is not recovering fast enough- but it would be difficult as no one predicted it would recovery quickly.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/05/12 - 12:30 pm
Since no one has addressed

the opening post on this thread let's get back to asking about flip flopping or ist just plain ol' lies.

These are documented Mitt Romney statements. is there any doubt about the truthfullness of the man?

"I was not responsible for what happened at Bain Capital" - Mitt Romney

"I was the Sole shareholder, Sole director, Chief executive officer and President of Bain" - Mitt Romney

"The Arizona immigration policy is a good model" – Mitt Romney

"I didn't really support the Arizona immigration policy" – Mitt Romney

“The Massachusetts healthcare plan should be a model for the nation” – Mitt Romney

“Healthcare reform should be left to the states” – Mitt Romney

"Let Detroit go bankrupt" -Mitt Romney

"I'll take a lot of credit for saving the auto industry" -Mitt Romney

“I believe Roe v Wade has gone too far.” – Mitt Romney

“Roe v Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it.” – Mitt Romney

“I respect and will protect a woman’s right to choose.” – Mitt Romney

“I never really called myself pro-choice.” – Mitt Romney

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam.” – Mitt Romney

“I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and represent our country there.” – Mitt Romney

“I’m not trying to return to Reagan-Bush.” – Mitt Romney

“Ronald Reagan is… my hero.” – Mitt Romney

“I think the minimum wage ought to keep pace with inflation.” – Mitt Romney

"There’s no question raising the minimum wage excessively causes a loss of jobs.” – Mitt Romney

“I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.” – Mitt Romney

“I did not see it with my own eyes.” – Mitt Romney

“I would like to have campaign spending limits.” – Mitt Romney

“The American people should be free to advocate for their candidates without burdensome limitations.” – Mitt Romney

“I supported the assault weapon ban.” – Mitt Romney

"I don’t support any gun control legislation.” – Mitt Romney

TParty
TParty 10/05/12 - 12:34 pm
Oh- and for those thing

Oh- and for those thing Romney would be better at creating jobs- do you mean American jobs? During the debate, Romney said “You said you get a deduction for taking a plant overseas,look, I’ve been in business for 25 years. I have no idea what you’re talking about. I maybe need to get a new accountant.”

Even though Romney has been trying avoid the image of a ruthless corporate raider, it was clear Romney would fire his accountant for not making him more money ontop of the money he made shipping jobs overseas.

So Romney might be good at creating jobs- but they won't be American.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/05/12 - 12:46 pm
Tparty since you believe

Tparty since you believe everything they tell you will you. Buy my bridge in New York.? 114k jobs created. Unemployment drops .5 percent in 30 days. How can you believe this?.. It takes approx. 130k. Jobs to keep up with growth in job seekers. To break even! Yet you are so giddy about obumler you will believe anything no matter how much it can not pass the smell test.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/05/12 - 12:50 pm
But is it a fair comparison

But is it a fair comparison to equate what Mitt did as govenor to what he might do as Prez. Examine George Bush as govenor compared to what he did as prez. He made texas number one in wind power-green energy. Also compare Obama as senator to Obama as prez. Comparing apples and oranges. They are both fruits but that is about it.

TParty
TParty 10/05/12 - 12:58 pm
I'm not giddy about the

I'm not giddy about the President with this job report- I'm happy about the fact things are clearly getting better. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, so yeah- I do believe in the numbers. If the numbers went the other way, to 8.4% for example- would you doubt the numbers?

MeParty
MeParty 10/05/12 - 01:11 pm
Hey Look,

EvilR and Retired Army both copy and paste from the same far-lefty websites (10:59 and 12:30). Come up with something original if you are able.

MeParty
MeParty 10/05/12 - 01:12 pm
AndTParty?????????

And what's the deal with TParty? Does anyone really believe she is anything other than an ultra-leftie in a really bad wig and sunglasses? Your constant pretense at being a middle-of-the-road Tea Party member speaks volumes for what the left is all about.

justthefacts
20027
justthefacts 10/05/12 - 01:14 pm
Flip Flop

Wow, Let's talk about the Prez for a second: Guantanamo? Close it during the election. As Prez. Nope. How about military tribunals? Well, heck no. What, well OK then. Rendition? NO, well Yes. Military attacks without Congressional approval. Can't do it. OK, let's do it. Gay marriage? No, er Yes. Space program? Fund it, yes. Nope, can't fund it. I could go on....You can google this stuff you know.

allhans
allhans 10/05/12 - 01:23 pm
A fact...Not the whole thing,

A fact...Not the whole thing, but one thing to add to the 114,000 jobs issue, later on in the report was that many of the jobs were part time and thousand more had stopped looking.
----------------------------------------------------------------

It is the weekend..TGIF. Time to get ready for three of "my" teams, the Braves tonight. GA Tech tomorrow, Falcons on Sunday, Paul Ryan debate next week. HOW SWEET IT IS!!!...

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 10/05/12 - 01:26 pm
And the question still remains...

What the heck are we going to do about the terrorists who killed 4 Americans in Lybia? Obama, get off your butt and do something to defend this country!

TParty
TParty 10/05/12 - 01:27 pm
Apparently this “newcomer”

Apparently this “newcomer” believes I’m a lefty because I do not believe the following are global liberal media conspiracies:

- jobs report
- climate change stories
- story that doesn't paint Obama as the socialist antichrist
- theory of evolution
- stories that indicate Obama born in the United States

Just because I don't carry water for etch-n-sketch Romney, who is a liberal (Look at his record and what he said during the debate) doesn't make me an ultra-leftie. Just another baseless conspiracy out there.

allhans
allhans 10/05/12 - 01:29 pm
TParty..It more likely that

TParty..It more likely that Mitt Romney checked with his accountants (Price-Waterhouse I believe)to get the correct information before he confronted Obama. If they misled him.... OFF WITH YOUR HEAD..

TParty
TParty 10/05/12 - 01:34 pm
Confronted Obama on what,

Confronted Obama on what, Allhans?

justthefacts
20027
justthefacts 10/05/12 - 01:37 pm
Someone needs

a chill pill.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/05/12 - 01:52 pm
ACE In The Hole.

Gas prices going up out of site....The King SMNCICBHO Ace will appear before the election. All those that are now on his free-bee entitlements will be receiving a free gas card, it may also include all Illegal Immigrants, Muslims and all pregnant women using the abortion clinics.

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.