The answer is 'no'

Key question of 2012 campaign has Democrats squirming

The question, surprisingly enough, has actually been asked this week by the liberal media, principally ABC’s George Stephanopoulos and CBS’s Bob Schieffer: Are Americans better off now than they were four years ago?

It’s a question that helped propel Ronald Reagan to the White House in 1980, after the answer was quickly obvious to most Americans about the Jimmy Carter debacle.

The answer also is plain today, and a majority in The Hill newspaper’s poll said so: No.

Yet, answers coming out of the Democratic camp were described as “halting” in an Associated Press story Tuesday. Halting? More like completely incoherent.

On Sunday, Democratic Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley answered that, “No,” Americans aren’t better off – while quickly attempting to blame George W. Bush, who retired nearly four years ago now. A day later, O’Malley made a U-turn, claiming, “We are clearly better off as a country, because we are now creating jobs rather than losing jobs ...”

Vice President Joe Biden claimed we’re better off at a Detroit campaign rally, though he added it was too hot at the rally to go into details.

Asked the question multiple times Sunday by Stephanopoulos on ABC’s This Week, President Obama’s senior White House adviser, David Plouffe, dodged it again and again.

“Dems continue to dodge 4-years-ago question,” read a headline on Politico.com.

Even ultra-liberal Slate online magazine, in an article headlined “Democrats Struggle With ‘Are Americans Better Off Question,’ ” noted, “(Obama) campaign strategist David Axelrod also declined to give a straight answer to the question ...”

There can be little question as to the answer, if you’re honest, that Americans as a whole are not better off than they were four years ago.

Now certainly the 2008 crash took a heavy toll, and Mr. Obama was dealt a difficult hand. Absolutely. But a report last week shows that real median household income has dropped 4.8 percent even since the supposed “recovery” began in June 2009.

That number alone indicates that things have gotten worse on Mr. Obama’s watch.

But that’s just a snapshot of whether things have gotten better or worse for Americans. Another, very germane, question is whether things have gotten better for America.

Clearly, that answer is “no” as well.

While things have continued to stay the same or get worse for Americans, the balance sheet has become decidedly worse off for the country as a whole. This administration – and a Democrat-led Senate that hasn’t even tried to pass a federal budget in three years – has saddled younger and future generations with some $5 trillion more in debt, a record amount by far for any administration.

Young people who are so starry-eyed over Mr. Obama’s smooth charms may not like it in a few years when they start paying on his debt.

If they can find a job, that is.

Consider just the future tax implications for today’s 20-somethings: By 2045, says the Heritage Foundation, Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security will eat up every single dollar of federal tax revenue.

We are, frankly, surprised that the Democrat-loving media stooped to ask the “Are you better off” question. Apparently, the Democrats are just as surprised, as they were wholly unprepared to answer it. Or maybe just not eager.

The Obama campaign has made repeated attempts to politically assassinate the Republican candidates, and the tone of Mr. Obama’s “Sarcasm Over America” tour may be cute and funny, but these, too, are an artful dodge of the painful truth: Neither Americans nor America are better off after four years of this.

We eagerly look forward to hearing why four more would be any different.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/05/12 - 05:51 pm
Ever notice

that democrats (liberals and left-wingers) continue to blow smoke up your derrieres with little or no facts to support their claims. Some learned it in marxism 101 at their alma mater or were taught it Sunday afternoon after church services. dick harpootlian, dnc chair of S.C. has compared Gov. Haley to nazi eva braun. Such innuendo is damaging because most of the left are uneducated. Staunchly left and democratic blacks have a drop-out rate in high school more than 50%, illegal aliens- who knows because they're "undocumented", bill ayers (well known communist, terrorist) an obama advisor, jerimiah wright ( world famous racist and fascist) an obama advisor, slick willie clinton ( well known liar, sex-addict and adulterer, though hilary is no prize) an obama advisor. Where do they come up with their facts? They pull them from their derrieres. I can say something true or not and some people will believe it. I heard from a rather reliable source that harpootlian was involved in several gay affairs but I wouldn't mention it as it might get a "rumor" started and may or may not be true. How are you lefties doing?

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 09/05/12 - 06:16 pm
Sorry..

I didn't have time to read all previous posts..I was working all day trying to do my part to redistribute wealth as per "Our Dear Ruler's" edict. But the answer to this editorial in my case (and I suspect enough cases to warrant a landslide) is a resounding .....NO NO NO !!!!!
On to November 6th!!

KSL
KSL 09/05/12 - 06:29 pm
Yep

He needs to go. Otherwise, we will not recognize this country.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/05/12 - 07:48 pm
"With, George W. Bush the

"With, George W. Bush the worst president ever seated in the White House,34 million jobs vanished during his two -term." Might want to try the truth...net Gain of over a million jobs during the Bush administration.

harley_52
harley_52 09/05/12 - 07:58 pm
The Democrats Were Caught....

....being democrats with their removal of the word "God" and "Jerusalem" from their Party's platform. Once caught, they were forced to lie about it and act like they really weren't democrats at all. It was hilarious to watch their floor vote trying to get a 2/3 majority of the delegates to act like normal people instead of democrats. They couldn't do it. After repeated, failed attempts to get the 2/3 majority they were forced to act like real democrats again and simply lie about having the 2/3 majority they needed to reverse their earlier decisions. When the chairman announced "God" and "Jerusalem" would be put back in the democrat platform, the decision was met by loud "Boos" and hisses from the democrat delegates. What a sight.....

All in all.....very, very funny. And sure to be discussed frequently during the next 63 days, or so.

dade30906
dade30906 09/05/12 - 08:16 pm
The new vehicle fuel -

The new vehicle fuel - efficiency standards announced on August 28 are the Obama administration's biggest climate accomplishment - a game changer and the biggest step any administration has ever taken to move us beyond oil. This latest victory will result in 570,000 new jobs, $1,7 trillion saved at the pump, and a nearly 10 percent drop in U.S. carbon emissions from current levels. I applaud President Obama for finalizing these standards, which will slash climate pollution and raise new vehicles' efficiency to an average of 54.5 mpg.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/05/12 - 08:29 pm
the new vehicle efficency

the new vehicle efficiency standards will be followed by legislating that fusion reactions will replace all fission reactions..

KSL
KSL 09/05/12 - 08:34 pm
Dade, is it al all possible

Dade, is it al all possible for you to explain why developing countries get a pass on that dastardly and dangerous pollution we can't do? Like Brazil can drill for oil off our shores, but we can't? I would appreciate you enlightening me!

KSL
KSL 09/05/12 - 08:37 pm
By the way, while you are at

By the way, while you are at it, please give the rest of us either your sources or your educated expertise credentials that enable you.

jack234
jack234 09/05/12 - 08:38 pm
I can hardly wait to hear

I can hardly wait to hear former President Clinton speak tonight. I am sure his speech will lock in the remaining Independents. I did a quick poll of my neighborhood of the undecided. 98% have told me they were on the Obama team and wanted a seat on the Obama train. The seats are going fast. You can't really trust Fox poll. That little fat guy that does their polling seem to be bias. My bad, I shouldn't have said that. The "Five" is a joke and Fox and Friends are very lame and boring. My bad, I souldn't have said that. Former President Clinton will raise the roof tonight, I have no doubt. As an Independent, I urge you to get on the Obama train as the seats are filling up fast. TOOT! TOOT! I saw KSL in my phone I.D. , I guess he wants a seat too. Thanks for your attention and patience. Signing off for tonight. TOOT! TOOT!

KSL
KSL 09/05/12 - 08:40 pm
Or just put, "This is my

Or just put, "This is my opinion."

KSL
KSL 09/05/12 - 08:41 pm
I will do the same.

I will do the same.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/05/12 - 08:49 pm
WOW....98 out of 100 at 401

WOW....98 out of 100 at 401 want Obama elected? Might be cause Jack is offering them TOOT?

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 09/05/12 - 09:32 pm
Clint made my day. The Romney

Clint made my day. The Romney campaign produced a video biopic to show Americans how Mitt Romney is a regular guy - just like them. But most American missed it, because its prime time slot was taken up by Clint Eastwood talking to an empty chair. ( occupied by an invisible President Obama). You just can't make this stuff up.

KSL
KSL 09/05/12 - 09:36 pm
Your name is so revealing.

Your name is so revealing.

KSL
KSL 09/05/12 - 09:39 pm
Most Americans? Wow. That is

Most Americans? Wow. That is a huge amount of credit. Did you really intend that?

KSL
KSL 09/05/12 - 09:44 pm
Is Obama a regular guy, just

Is Obama a regular guy, just like you? Did you go to Columbia and Harvard for law school? Did you get a deal on a special house in Augusta like he did in Chicago?

KSL
KSL 09/05/12 - 09:48 pm
The truth be known, I bet

The truth be known, I bet you are just as intelligent as he is, kiss. And I sincerely mean that. Perhaps misguided, but intelligent. Opinion.

willie7
willie7 09/05/12 - 10:05 pm
I am better off than I was 4

I am better off than I was 4 years ago. I have a very good income and investments. I have to pay quarterly estimated tax and don't mind it.
Go live in a country that nobody or few people pay taxes. Yes, 48% of our of population doesn't pay federal income taxes because they don't make enough to qualify.
We are our brothers keeper and should help those with small income. Many of these people serve our many needs.
In a capitalistic society, you have the top , middle and the bottom.
Some people are capable to move to the middle or top and some remain on the bottom for various reasons.
My father was wealthy and had many contacts and a big network.But I
chose to make it on my own and I am happy that I did. I will never have the wealth my father had because I didn't have his drive. I am very happy for choosing my own career

allhans
allhans 09/05/12 - 10:14 pm
Jack..You had better have a

Jack..You had better have a cover on that train....Then you won't need to make excuses if nobody shows up.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/05/12 - 10:25 pm
so...52% of the people should

so...52% of the people should carry the 48%?

More uncredited direct quotes from MoveOn.Org....Sean you allowing BOTS now?

carcraft
carcraft 09/05/12 - 10:32 pm
Jack had better hid his

Jack had better hid his tooter and train it sounds like it is coal fired and steam powered, Obama's EPA is going to shut her down! Jack needs to go to little toots!

EEreader
EEreader 09/06/12 - 10:49 am
Am I better off today than I was 4 years ago?

Well.... Consider this: My investments are doing OK (my blind trust managers are top-notch!) And, although I only make about $350,000 a year from miscellaneous activities, speaker fees, etc., I'm doing OK there too. When you add in 4 years' worth of Bush tax cuts, I'd have to say yes, I'm better off, pod'ner, much better off. And thanks, George. I'll try to keep it goin' for both of us. (We wouldn't want to slip down to the upper 98th percentile, now would we?)