Spinning a hurricane

As Isaac approaches, media still cast Katrina aftermath as Bush failure

With hurricane Isaac bearing down on the Gulf Coast on much the same path as Katrina, the left-wing media were almost gleeful this week to repeat their earlier narrative that the 2005 Category 5 storm was pretty much Bush’s fault.

They no doubt found Isaac’s proximity to the Republican National Convention delicious, and seemed to hope Isaac would cast a partisan pall over the proceedings.

In truth, while the Bush administration badly fumbled both preparation and recovery, a later congressional investigation cited significant failures at the state and local levels as well – notably with Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, Democrats both. Nagin, in particular, seemed to be in way over his head as much as his flooded constituents, failing to provide for timely evacuations; his belated evacuation order came less than 24 hours before landfall.

And no one adequately prepared for the hell that the Superdome became, with 25,000 frightened, hungry and thirsty refugees.

A poll days after Katrina found that more people blamed state and local officals than federal. That held true in a subsequent poll. Today, it’s all Bush’s fault, according to the media. Thus is the simple power of repetition.

What’s most important now is what was learned. What was learned by all those officials who dropped the ball can be summed up neatly in the old adage: better safe than sorry. No one in public office today wants to wear the scarlet letter of Katrina – and so, warnings and preparations today for Isaac are hopefully more than adequate.

We should also remember that not even the best preparations can protect against every whim of nature. Ultimately, we are not in charge.

Nor should it be lost in the flood of post-Katrina recriminations that the most important and pivotal level of emergency preparedness occurs not at the federal, state or municipal level – but with each individual and each family and each neighborhood.

Failure can occur at every one of those levels. And so can success.

Comments (27)

nola829
nola829 08/28/12 - 01:37 am

1.) Katrina made landfall as

1.) Katrina made landfall as a Category 3
2.) For goodness sake, please stop referring to New Orleanians who were stranded in their own city/country as "refugees"
3.) I'm a disaster scientist/anthropologist. I've read everything under the sun about this storm over the past few days, and while there have been comparisons to Katrina and mention of the aftermath, I have NOT ONCE read Bush's name or any mention of failures associated with Bush. Perhaps I missed something, I'll admit that. But, given the amount that I've read, I feel one would have to search long and hard to find this liberal media glee that you speak of . . . in fact, I think the delay of the Republican convention and other matters have been handled quite respectfully.

So, I guess leave it to the right-wing media and its paranoia/self-obsession to perceive coverage of an impending crisis as an "attack" on one of their own. No one cares about Bush right now, all people in the path of this storm care about is current preparations and policies - safety of people and property.

Not sure what sparked your anger over Isaac's coverage thus far, but I urge you to direct your editorials toward more important issues in light of what is about to occur, and perhaps tone down the hate.

carcraft
20670
carcraft 08/28/12 - 05:40 am

I watched NBC news last

I watched NBC news last night and they mentioned the "iconic" picture of Bush looking at the devastation from inside Air Force one as he flew over New Orleans.

Rhetor
Rhetor 08/28/12 - 06:03 am

I also haven't seen any

I also haven't seen any nonsense like what the ACES alleges in the supposedly left-wing media. Nor does this editorial cite any evidence or examples to support this seemingly wild accusation. Mentioning a picture of Bush doesn't count as blaming Bush for the hurricane.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/28/12 - 07:03 am

Key West Folks said...

“Just a summer day in Key West,” Harris said.
That kind of ho-hum attitude extended farther up the coast. Edwin Reeder swung by a gas station in Miami Shores — not for fuel, but drinks and snacks.
“This isn’t a storm,” he said. “It’s a rain storm.”

Why is it they always take things in stride......having fun while others worry.....

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/28/12 - 07:37 am

robert reich article posted

robert reich article posted 8-27-12 huffington post..george bush as hurricane isaac. please the media like chris mattews has a tingle in its leg to try to dampen the RNC convention tie it to bush and katrina...cant run with obumlers record ***so they got to look for any distraction or story to take the spol light off obumlers failed and dangerous policies..to deny this is beyond reason...

Techfan
Techfan 08/28/12 - 07:46 am

Did the AC editorial board

Did the AC editorial board forget that New Orleans weathered Katrina fairly well? The flooding hit after the failure of the levees. The anniversary of the breach is tomorrow. Reports of the breaches began at 8:30am, while at 6:30pm, the head of FEMA, Michael Brown (Bush appointee, former head of the International Arabian Horse Association until he had to resign due to conflict on interest) said, "We have some, I'm not going to call them breaches, but we have some areas where the lake and the rivers are continuing to spill over."

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 08/28/12 - 08:14 am

Gas prices

Federal assistance and a sharp rise in gas prices over night, and the TS hasn't even hit land yet. Is that considered preparation, or is Obama trying to buy votes? It seems that all we do as a country anymore is panic and throw money at a situation with hopes it will go away. A hurricane is an act of nature, and all we should do is "be prepared" for what we think might happen. We should not act until an emergency is declared.

Maybe the real test will come to see if the multi-billions of national taxpayer dollars that were spent to rebuiild New Orlean's storm defences was worth it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/28/12 - 08:39 am

Give me a break. "Brownie,

Give me a break. "Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job," made it into every liberal publication there was.

Angie H
Angie H 08/28/12 - 08:44 am

No mention of Bush? Good

No mention of Bush? Good lord....if you just deny the truth enough you can make your own truth, I suppose.

Bush's name is mentioned 18 times in this article alone. There's TONS more.

Angie H
Angie H 08/28/12 - 08:45 am

"Did the AC editorial board

"Did the AC editorial board forget that New Orleans weathered Katrina fairly well?"

I guess that's why so many died....because they weathered it fairly well.

allhans
21934
allhans 08/28/12 - 09:08 am

I don't know about Katrina,

I don't know about Katrina, but I while clicking away this morning a TV host was chastising a left-wing guest for attempting to make Republicans look bad for continuing their convention today but his own man, THE PRESIDENT!!! Obama is on the road campaigning.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/28/12 - 09:46 am

Get

ready for the "flood" of urban folk pulling their same financial scams as done after Katrina. As we all know most urban folk are conservative, take responsibility, crime free and never would defraud the fed. The left-wing media would never abet them either. Santa Claus will be at 5th and Broad this afternoon at 4 p.m.

Rhetor
Rhetor 08/28/12 - 11:45 am

Shifting and squirming again.

Shifting and squirming again. The ACES's claim was that the "liberal media" pretty much blamed the hurricane on Bush: "their earlier narrative that the 2005 Category 5 storm was pretty much Bush’s fault." That is silly. The citations above refer to Bush's weak performance in organizing subsequent relief efforts, which is pretty much beyond dispute. I will agree with the ACES that local authorities also messed up. Stick to the point, please.

Rhetor
Rhetor 08/28/12 - 11:45 am

Shifting and squirming again.

Angie H
Angie H 08/28/12 - 12:15 pm
Techfan
Techfan 08/28/12 - 02:05 pm

Try reading the entire post

Try reading the entire post Angie. Otherwise it's not possible to comprehend the comment. Before reaching New Orleans, Katrina had droppped to a category 3 storm from a category 5 and unexpectedly turned and they missed a direct hit. They thought they had "dodged the bullet". It did cause damage, but nothing like they thought it would. The main flooding and devastation came because the levees failed, not from a direct hit from the storm.

Angie H
Angie H 08/28/12 - 03:10 pm

hmmmmmm....what caused the

hmmmmmm....what caused the levees to fail?

Oh.....I forgot....Bush blew them up.

Angie H
Angie H 08/28/12 - 03:13 pm

Hiroshima weathered the

Hiroshima weathered the atomic bomb just fine......it was just the blast, radiation and fires that caused all the problems.

nola829
nola829 08/28/12 - 03:15 pm

@ Angie H

"Give me a break. 'Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job,' made it into every liberal publication there was.

Nola829 must only read scientific papers and not the news. The fact is the hurricane wasn't that bad until the levee broke the next day. That's what caused the destruction."

I was referring to coverage of THIS storm (Isaac), and as I understand it, the AC editorial staff was as well. I see mention of a Huff Post article written by Robert Reich on this comment board, indeed that's one example. I read it, and it seems like one man's opinion of a former president and our current state of the nation - not so much about Katrina itself (nor Isaac). None-the-less, it is an example of Bush's name being mentioned in relation to the current storm, I'll admit that (just as I admitted I may have missed a few of these Bush articles in my initial post).

I'm a reader. I've read just about everything on Katrina - scientific or not. I've read about the levee failures, about the hurricane itself, about the people affected, about the rebuilding process, about possible mitigation procedures for the future, about the future of our coast, the list goes on . . . And, I imagine I'll do the same for Isaac, after all, it is part of my job.

And, as part of my job is also community outreach, I also often read the comments associated with coverage on New Orleans, its relationship to the environment, and the natural disasters it faces. These comments are often bustling with hate, most often fueled by frustration over issues that are indirectly related to New Orleans at best. It's unproductive. And, frankly, Mr. Reich's article is much of the same.

Look, it's no secret we're in a severe political atmosphere right now - the right is this, the left is that. All I can say as this storm approaches the Gulf Coast, and as we approach the anniversary of Katrina, is that we need to work together. We're all Americans, regardless of where we live or what threats we face, and we need to start acting as a whole. I disagree with left-wing, subjective coverage of issues just as I do with right-wing, subjective coverage. The only thing we can do is not give it credit. Read the NEWS, the facts. I never should have given this editorial a second thought, but I did, and so here I am commenting again . . .

If there's anything folks on this comment forum take away, just contemplate for a moment what editorial/news pieces like this do to us as a collective people - do they create more harm than good? What exactly is the purpose of these types of commentary? Is it simply reactive? Are they based on fact? Do they help to create an informed public better capable of making political and everyday decisions?

Maybe the answer for some is, "Yes," but personally, I'm tired of the mud-slinging. It's distracting, and once again, it's unproductive. Let's just spend the day with the people we care for and hope that this most recent storm passes without devastation. Then, let's wake up tomorrow and NOT give these types of editorial rantings any credit, work together, and stay informed of the facts as much as we possibly can . . . sound like a plan?

Angie H
Angie H 08/28/12 - 03:16 pm

I wonder what the backlash

I wonder what the backlash would be if someone wished the hurricane hit the DNC?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/28/12 - 03:24 pm

nola829

Good points on your 1515 post. I agree.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 08/28/12 - 03:28 pm

Libs Still Fear Bush

And for good reason - Bush controls the weather from a bunker at the headquarters of of the Carlyle Group. Dick Cheney is working on a super bug, a pathogen, that will wipe out liberals in a few years.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 08/28/12 - 03:29 pm

Obama Could Stop The Hurricane

but he wants all infidels to die. Watch what I tell ya: if the levee breaks, only those who worship Allah will live.

TParty
TParty 08/28/12 - 04:38 pm

"We should not act until an

"We should not act until an emergency is declared."

Good thinking Gary Ross, no one should prepare for anything until it's too late.

socks99
socks99 08/28/12 - 06:24 pm

What a difference 7 years

What a difference 7 years makes!

Unfortunately for the social liberals, more citizens are interested in the U.S. economy than are interested in this hurricane. They are asking questions about the leadership of PBO, and asking if they are better off now than before Obama took power.

I predict a devastating political Hurricane in November! FEMA can't help, either!

fedex227
fedex227 08/28/12 - 07:42 pm

I would love for the ACES to back up the statement ...

"the left-wing media were almost gleeful this week to repeat their earlier narrative that the 2005 Category 5 storm was pretty much Bush’s fault."

As a political junkie, I read everying from the huff post to the drudge report, ny times to the wall street journal, and watch fox news and msnbc with equal fascination. Bush was blamed for Katrina? Hyperbole is one thing. Simply lying is quite another.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 08/28/12 - 10:04 pm

Waiting with bated breath for

Waiting with bated breath for Kanye West to assign blame.....

fedex227
fedex227 08/28/12 - 10:25 pm

"Waiting with bated breath for Kanye West to assign blame" ...

Please keep waiting. Continue to hold your breath.