Bottom line

Whenever there’s a whiff of a chance for America’s chronically liberal media to imply that violent crime is spurred by conservative values, reporters seemingly fall all over one another to file stories.

But when the shoe’s on the other foot – the left foot – all of a sudden the media isn’t nearly as interested.

So it was this past week when a gunman barged into the Washington, D.C., offices of the conservative Family Research Council. Floyd Corkins is accused of shooting a security guard in the arm to express his anger over the FRC’s Christian values and policy positions.

Corkins is a volunteer for a gay-rights advocacy group, but media were loath to draw any conclusions about the suspect’s left-leaning politics.

But why were media outlets so eager to peg the recent Aurora, Colo., theater shooter as a right-winger – until that
assertion turned out to be utterly false?

These kinds of public shootings are spawned from a repulsive climate of hatred – and although many liberals wish otherwise, that hatred isn’t the exclusive province of a particular political ideology.

Just report the facts.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/20/12 - 01:06 pm
scandal***how about a prez

scandal***how about a prez who hasnt signed a fiscal budget since being elected... and where does it say that one has to show his tax returns??? we didnt scream about the lack of KERRY's tax returns in 2004 and he is worth more than romney...and romney doesnt do his taxes he probably has a cpa doing it..as far as we know he hasnt broken any laws ...otherwise it would be brought up ..like tax cheat geighter...in the tax code there are legal deductions that we are allowed to take... i did..obumler did..you probably did...so if they are legal quit crying about the amount he paid**only the libs and their cohorts in the media seem to care...and money used in investment for capital gains or losses has already been taxed at the regular rate b/4 investment....and for all the screaming not one lib that i know of sends additional money to the treasury or doesnt take legal deductions..after all romney did NOT make the tax laws ...he just complies with them..

Angie H
Angie H 08/20/12 - 01:15 pm
"When was hate deemed illegal

"When was hate deemed illegal anyway?"

It's not illegal- that is why the Westboro Baptist Church can do what they do.

That is also what protects Think Progress.

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 01:22 pm
Kerry had released 20 years

Kerry had released 20 years of tax returns when he ran for president in 2004.

Congress passes the budgets- it's not the President's job. Obama has submitted budgets- just no one votes on them. That's a congress problem, which explains why the approval rating is 9%, probably lower.

Wanting to know more about the person we want to hire to be Commander-In-Chief is not a problem. I'm curious if Romney participated in the IRS amnesty program.

Romney was a democrat while Governor. Raised taxes, and put in some gun control laws, and did his mandatory health care program. We can say he was a moderate, and willing to work in a liberal state- but his records reflects one of a democrat. So checking other areas won't hurt.

And you say he did nothing illegal- but how do we know? I'm all for "Innocent until proven guilty, it's upon other to prove guilt, not for someone to prove innocence". And I'm not trying to send Romney to jail. But if he hid his money, and was a tax fraud, and took part in the amnesty program the IRS had- then yeah- we need to know about that.

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 01:25 pm
"That is also what protects

"That is also what protects Think Progress."

It protects everyone. So long as you're not infringing on other people's rights, you can be as hateful or as loving as you want.

Angie H
Angie H 08/20/12 - 01:31 pm
I agree, TParty. (see...we

I agree, TParty. (see...we agree sometimes! :-)) That is why I oppose so called "hate crime" laws. Why should it matter WHY you committed a crime? Besides, without a confession, you can only speculate what someone was thinking.

Angie H
Angie H 08/20/12 - 01:33 pm
Actually they HAVE voted on

Actually they HAVE voted on Obama's proposed budget....it failed to receive ONE single aye vote.

Angie H
Angie H 08/20/12 - 01:34 pm
Would it be OK of Romney

Would it be OK of Romney waits a few years after the election to show more and more tax returns like Obama did with his birth certificate? A really transparant person just holds on to things until everyone is whipped into a frenzy about it.....at least that is what the "most transparant President" did.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/20/12 - 01:41 pm
the prez has to sign the

the prez has to sign the budget into law...his budget are so bad he cant even get a dim to vote for it..this is not a congress problem its a prez problem.......tell me where you found 20 years of kerry budget...and you are inferring that romney is quilty of tax fraud by bringing it up ..if hes not quility he doesnt have to prove his innocence to you or anyone else..we do not live in france...funny how we want transparency for romney but not obumler..funny how we find a kid in romney past grade school days who was supposely bullied yet we cant find out about obumler college grades, thesis or anything else not even kids who knew him in college..

Angie H
Angie H 08/20/12 - 01:53 pm
I heard that Romney HAS

I heard that Romney HAS released 20 years of tax returns....he just filed them with Obama's college records.

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 02:18 pm
"That is why I oppose so

"That is why I oppose so called "hate crime" laws".

A crime is a crime for sure- but there is something heinous about a group of people getting mad at another group- so they get all amped up and go out looking for a person they hate, then attack a person and drag them behind a truck for many miles. Or use intimidation to scare people, like burning crosses on yards.... I think those should treated differently than people getting mad at one another due to road issues or crimes of passion. But that's just me. I won't try to convince anyone differently- you won't be wrong in my eyes, it's just how I see things.

About speculation though- investigators are pretty good at determining what the motives are, it's their job to present that case in a court of law.

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 02:19 pm
And I didn't know one person

And I didn't know one person voted for Obama's budget. I'm not sure which one is more sad, one person voted, or the idea that no one voted for it in support...

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 02:22 pm
Well, I've never doubted

Well, I've never doubted Obama was not an American- but I see your point. I didn't want to look at McCain's birth certificate, even though he wasn't born in America- the man is an American.

And Romney has released 20 years of his records, but he only released them to McCain. And that bothers me. He is willing to show his records in case for a job, but to get this job, he says "I've looked at them, they are good, trust me." If you were hiring someone- would you accept that answer?

Angie H
Angie H 08/20/12 - 02:37 pm
Maybe I worded it incorrectly

Maybe I worded it incorrectly .... I meant to convey that not a single person voted for the Obama budget.

If tax records are a Presedential requirement...then pass an amendment. Romney agreed to 2 years and they want 10....if he agrees to 10 they will want 15.....just make it a standard...When I got my security clearance, they didn't keep moving the bar. And why do we not demand the same disclosure from the President?

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 03:07 pm
It's not a requirement- there

It's not a requirement- there are only so many things that are. It's not a requirement that debates occur, or anyone travels around soliciting money for their job- but they do it anyways.

And they move the bar for the security clearance on some things! Filling out the the EPSQ's are easier- but I digress.

People want to see the papers Obama wrote when he was 20 years old, and people want to see the tax records from Romney, whose own father set a good example, saying one or two years might be a fluke.

allhans
allhans 08/20/12 - 03:51 pm
John McCain released two

John McCain released two years of his returns in 2008.
The Obama bunch will stoop as low as you go to create distractions. The American people don't give a hoot about Romney's tax returns. How utterly boring will we get. I doubt that you can find a single person who lying awake at night in anticipation of seeing Romney's tax returns.
What we have here is made-up by Obama talking points.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/20/12 - 03:54 pm
TPARTY -still cant find kerry

TPARTY -still cant find kerry 20 years of tax returns on the internet or your source .**and i dont know why tax returns are of such importance to you...
.tp--if you are hiring someone would you accept their word on college transcripts????? you have a double standard...gee we really are reaching today

burninater
burninater 08/20/12 - 03:55 pm
If the ACES strongly believes

If the ACES strongly believes that coverage of a tragedy is diminished if a news outlet shares the views of the shooter, then the ACES' complete silence on the massacre of Sikhs in their temple by a white supremacist leaves me profoundly chilled.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/20/12 - 03:57 pm
tparty ***cant remember but

tparty ***cant remember but on every job application ive ever filled out they all wanted school records ...and income at previous jobs but never tax returns..of course i have been with the same company for 26 years

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 03:57 pm
Over 50% of American polled

Over 50% of American polled do want to see Romney's tax returns, where as under 40% don't care to any more. I hope Romney does release them, and I hope they are boring, and I hope Reid has to resign for using the Senate floor to slander a private citizen.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/20/12 - 04:02 pm
burn ---perhaps you missed

burn ---perhaps you missed the story on aug 5th with the picture and write-up on the wisconsin shooting ***or perhaps you didnt even look...

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/20/12 - 04:06 pm
tparty***i can make a poll to

tparty***i can make a poll to say anything i want to say also...its childish to worry about what someone else makes...and dont think that obumlers crew hasnt looked at his returns ...just like the fbi folders that were missing for months in the clinton administration that suddenly appeared. this is an evil corrupt administration and with his allies that will stoop to all new lows to win...

burninater
burninater 08/20/12 - 04:17 pm
Nofan, I checked the

Nofan, I checked the editorials specifically, as the ACES wrote editorials on the Tucson shootings, the Aurora shootings,, and now this most recent shooting -- but not a peep about the Sikh Temple shooting.

harley_52
harley_52 08/20/12 - 04:20 pm
No Conservatives...

...who are already Romney supporters will change their vote to Obama if Romney doesn't release multi-years of tax returns. No Obama supporters will change their vote to Romney if he releases multi-years of returns.

It's strictly a ploy by democrats to obfuscate the real issues. The more he releases, the more democrats will have fodder for their campaign of diffusion, deceit, obfuscation, and slander.

He'd be a fool to release any more than he's already promised.

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 04:22 pm

You can search through here to find folks.

I don't know what you do for a living- but if I was looking to hire someone for being a great business man, and can influence the tax code- I would want to see information pertaining to the job. Romney is not touting his lack of foreign experience skills, or his time as liberal Governor. He is doing showing how successful he has been- and it's within reason to see the records. Someone once said "One year could be a fluke, perhaps done for show”

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 05:28 pm
And let me just expand on

And let me just expand on this, why it's important to know who we are putting into office. This Akin guy who is running for office- clearly doesn't know anything, by saying there are different kinds of rape, and how women bodies work. He has no clue. But he wants to have a job where he can make laws on women's bodies, make health care decisions on things he does not understand.

People in congress are regulating things that they clearly don't understand. And now we have liberal Romney saying he knows how to fix the economy, and fix our debt, and deficit- and yet he is so secretive. Why is he being secretive about his life? Is he going to have to conservative ideas like he says now, or will he be the liberal he was while in office?

EDIT: I was wrong- I thought Akin was running for office as if it's his first time. He is a six-term GOP congressman. And he has been making laws and decisions, and it's obvious he is clueless. And he is on the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology....

harley_52
harley_52 08/20/12 - 05:06 pm
TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 05:18 pm
I'm more concerned about how

I'm more concerned about how Obama ran on transparency, and how that hasn't been the case. But sure- want to throw Obama in there, that's fine. We are gong to hire one of these guys. We should know about them.

harley_52
harley_52 08/20/12 - 05:33 pm
"We are gong to hire one of these guys.....

....We should know about them."

I wholeheartedly agree. And I submit we know far, far, far more about Romney's life than we do about Obama's and Obama has been the President for almost four years.

To suggest Romney is "being secretive about his life" is nothing less than ludicrous. We know everything about him, except the specifics on some of his federal income taxes. How about Obama's school records? His friends? His source of funding for his education? We know NOTHING about Obama and I don't see you whining about it.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/20/12 - 05:37 pm
nice try t*party we know far

nice try t*party we know far more about romney than we do obumler...wheres his school records applying for a job and all the left going bananas over his intellect yet we have no proof about grades thesis..class attendance anything in college yet you ignore this ..while romney has a record that can be easily addressed olympics, bain capital and gov... dont tell me we dont know anything about romney.. .obumler has no record to hang his hat on.. voting almost 200 times present as a state legislator is not a profile of courage or openness. we simply dont know who oblumer is he hides everything. so if you want to define the debate lets start with your horse in the race...one who can now harm us by executive orders..lay his cards out

TParty
TParty 08/20/12 - 05:50 pm
Ha! Yes we do, but people

Ha! Yes we do, but people just don't want to believe it, people like conspiracy theories.

Romney has been hush-hush, and complains when his record is brought up. Can't talk about his time when he was Governor! Can't talk about how he dodge the draft, or his religion. Can't talk about Bain now, because it looks bad that Americans lost their jobs when they were sent overseas. Can't talk about his work with the Olympics, because of the money he needed from the federal government. And now we can't talk about his taxes? What we do know about Romney's tax return- it offers a peek into the tax savings and financial transactions utilized by the super-rich to avoid paying taxes on much of their wealth. The use of the carried interest and charitable deduction rules, along with offshore IRAs and defective grantor trusts grow tax-free, illustrate how the affluent circumvent the tax code. Don't believe me- go look into the Luxembourg tax scheme. (Romney is not the only one). Romney won't release them because either 1.) It will show he used the IRS amnesty program, because he did commit tax fraud. He would fix it when he can, just like when he was hiring illegals for landscape purposes because after all, he is running for office for pete's sake! or 2.) Use of these loopholes affirms Warren Buffet's famous quip, "There's class warfare, all right, but it's my class, the rich class, that's making war, and we're winning."

Partnerships needed in cyber sectors, NSA director says

Adm. Michael Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, said the nation's security rests on breaking down bariers between private and government sectors specializing in cyber defense. ...