Running mate brings reason

GOP's Paul Ryan shifts focus of presidential race to actual ideas

“This guy is amazing.”

– Erskine Bowles, chief of staff for former President Bill Clinton, speaking of Rep. Paul Ryan in a 2011 speech

It’s a sad statement about this country when a vice-presidential pick is considered bold, daring and maybe even dangerous because he believes in not spending more than you take in.

But that’s precisely the state we’re in – and why Paul Ryan is such an exciting choice for presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s running mate.

The Wisconsin congressman exudes a youthful everyman
persona while bringing major-league budget expertise, and a cheesehead-sized conscience, to his role as House Budget Committee chairman.

The choice was a surprise and a delight for fiscal conservatives worried that Romney would be more sedate or strategic in his VP pick.

“Gov. Romney is signaling he wants to change the course of government, not manage it,” one prominent Republican was quoted. “This is the start of an
aggressive, ideas campaign!”

Of course, he could’ve signaled that in other ways. And it’s a risky path for Romney to go with Ryan. Because Ryan has actually put pen to paper on how he’d fix the government, he’s an easy target for the opposition, who can pick apart his ideas line item by line item – even though they don’t have any proposals of their own. In fact, the Democrat-controlled U.S. Senate hasn’t even passed a budget in three years.

So the focus of the national media will be Ryan’s thinking, not the Democrats’ complete lack of it. Sigh.

So be it. We love Ryan’s refreshing candor – and the faith he shows in our ability to handle it.

Therein lies the risk: He won’t tell us what we want to hear; he’ll tell us what we need to hear. That’s what a real leader does.

Ryan’s vice presidential candidacy is the ultimate test for voters: We will now be asked to choose between reason and emotion this November.

“President Obama and too many like him in Washington have refused to make difficult decisions, because they are more worried about their next election than they are about the next generation,” Ryan said in his first public appearance on the ticket.

“Over the years I have seen and heard from a lot of families, from a lot of those who are running small businesses and from people who are in need. But what I’ve heard lately – that’s what troubles me the most. There’s something different in their voice, in their words. What I hear from them are diminished dreams, lowered expectations, uncertain futures. I hear some people say that this is just the new normal.

“Higher unemployment, declining incomes and crushing debt is not a new normal. ...

“We can turn this thing around. We can. We can turn this thing around. Real solutions can be delivered, but it will take leadership and the courage to tell you the truth.”

The Demagogic Party is said to be thrilled at Ryan’s selection. They can’t wait to try to scare old folks into thinking he’d toss them over a cliff. The Demagogues even depicted that in a commercial once – even though they, themselves, voted to cut Medicare by hundreds of billions of dollars in the health-care reform act.

The truth is, if Paul Ryan were a Demagogue, the media would love him. As it stands, they’ll do their best to make you afraid of him.

“I always thought I was okay with arithmetic,” said Bowles, who helped write a deficit reduction plan for President Obama that the president has largely ignored. “(Ryan) can run circles around me, and he is honest, he is straightforward, he is sincere. And the budget he came forward with is just like Paul Ryan. It is a sensible, straightforward, honest, serious budget.”

Barack Obama himself, without any outward sense of irony, once praised Ryan for making a “serious” budget proposal.

Most importantly, as ABC News acknowledged, “Ryan’s addition to the ticket has shifted the conversation from tax returns and outsourcing to policy ideas and the decisions the country faces about what to do with its entitlement programs.”

Hallelujah!

With the economy and perhaps the country hanging in the balance, we’ll see if the Demagoging works – or if Americans are grown up enough to be told the truth about our fiscal situation.

In short, whether an American presidential election can be won on reason.

Techfan
Techfan 08/15/12 - 03:13 am
If only millionaires and

If only millionaires and billionaires could pay an 0.82% tax rate, the economy will be saved. And pigs will fly.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/15/12 - 05:35 am
Paul Ryan is like Dave Ramsey

Paul Ryan is like Dave Ramsey telling people how great it is to pay your bills and get out of debt. Democrats believe there's always more money to take from someone else so things can keep merrily rolling along.

Of course the fear tactics are going to come out now. Joe Biden has already dropped into a Southern accent to say Romney-Ryan want to put people back in chains.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/15/12 - 05:42 am
Tells you what you NEED to hear

Yes....I am warming up to Ryan.....that is what we need......an honest talking---shoot from the hip type of guy...yeh...like Freddie Sanders.....vote for one in Richmond county & put the other one in DC...

Freeatlast
Freeatlast 08/15/12 - 06:54 am
Mitt Ronmey just committed

Mitt Ronmey just committed political suicide. Paul Ryan is the author of the most extreme right - wing budget ever proposed in Congress. He wants to dismantle Medicare, privatize Social Security, and cut taxes for millionaires while raising taxes on the middle class. Mitt Romney and Congressional Republicans are trying to do exactly what they did with George W. Bush - convince people that he's someone you would like to have a beer with, and then ram though a far - right agenda that screws the middle class.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/15/12 - 07:04 am
Democrats will burn the trailers steps

Democrats will burn the trailers steps before they will cut firewood. Obama talking about HIS economic program is like painting cinder blocks pastel pink. They're still cinder blocks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/15/12 - 07:09 am
Angst when a Democrat has to pay bills

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/15/12 - 07:13 am
Freeatlast, actually the Ryan

Freeatlast, actually the Ryan plan lowers capital gains taxes for everyone, not just the rich.

jack234
jack234 08/15/12 - 07:25 am
Of course there is

Of course there is excitement. There was excitement when Sarah Lee was picked 4 years ago. I really believe all the other choices turned him down. Now everyone has turned on poor "non-stop talking Sarah Lee" and blame her for being a "maverick" - whatever that is. Ryan talked against the stimulus, voted for it, then tried to get money for his state. He must be wearing Rommney's flip-flops. I will be meeting with all the rest of the Independents as we fire up our base for President Obama. The Republicans should realize the more they disrespect our president, the bigger our turn out will be. The Economy will turn around quickly his second term because the business world will realize he can't run again and they don't have to try to make him look bad. For them not to grow their businesses, expand and hire more people has been expensive for them. But, they did exactly what Rush told them to do. It takes a lot of built up hate and frustration to give up your own profits just to make your own President look bad. But, he has been "cool" through it all, and that's what burn them up more than anything. A person that looks like him just shouldn't be his own man. But that's the way he rolls, accept it and move on. The Independent "Obama Train" will be coming through your neighborhood soon and I have a few seats available. Last, I am about tired of Beck and his founding fathers - he's made his money off people - he needs to move on - after appealing to people's emotions but not really saying anything. The Independent Obama Train - TOOT! TOOT!

Techfan
Techfan 08/15/12 - 07:39 am
So the whopping 0.7% capital

So the whopping 0.7% capital gain and dividend income that goes to the bottom 80% of Americans will be taxed lower. Glad it's not skewed towards the rich.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/15/12 - 08:00 am
The truth is always extreme to a Democrat.

"Paul Ryan is the author of the most extreme right - wing budget ever proposed in Congress."

Let's see....we are broke and everyone knows it. If you took everything the "rich" make it won't make a teeny dent in the debt and everyone admits it. Social Security WILL be broke in 20 years and everyone knows it. Medicare is already broke due to fraud and mismanagement and everyone knows it. And now we finally have a politician who stands up and tells us the truth, a truth that we already know is fact, and the Democrats call him a radical.

What's radical is the Democrats not having ANY plan. All they can say is "We want to tax the rich. We know that won't fix anything but it sounds good. We admit that Social Security and Medicare are broke but we don't want to talk about that." Now THAT is radical.....radical ignorance.

TannerManor
TannerManor 08/15/12 - 08:03 am
Jack234 I think you meant the

Jack234 I think you meant the "I'mdependent Obama Train".

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 08/15/12 - 08:05 am
Despirate times require despirate action

Romney-Ryan are who we need right now. Thank you good Lord! We may not like what they have to do when they get to Washington, but they are thinking of the country's survival as a whole and the future of our children. The difficult work will start for them after the election. They will not throw granny off the cliff or put anyone in chains.

On the other side of the coin, who is Obama-Biden trying to fool? They can't even come up with a budget. Stick with that team and you'll get your entitlement check with all zeros.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 08/15/12 - 08:43 am
I don't doubt Ryan actually believes this stuff,

but have the rest of you ever actually read Ayn Rand?

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 08/15/12 - 09:03 am
Techfan what is your problem

Techfan what is your problem with rich folk,that they made better choices in life than you did.The job i took 30 years ago i knew it was a thankless job and that i would never be rich but its what i wanted to do.I raised 5 children which all are doing pretty well and my wife and i do pretty much what we want.Know matter what you say the rich in this country pay most of the taxes.

allhans
allhans 08/15/12 - 09:25 am
The difference in the two

The difference in the two campaigns is that when Republicans speak they do so with the belief that they are talking with intelligent human beings, while Democrats talk as if they are speaking with children. Using a fake dialect and preaching hate as Biden does is not helping their cause. The few who fall for it, and it is very few, will not take them over the top.

allhans
allhans 08/15/12 - 09:32 am
jon lester...Ryan has said he

jon lester...Ryan has said he enjoyed the NOVEL "Atlas Shrugged" but he never believed in Rand's philosophy, such as her atheism. (He is a strict Catholic.) We have heard that story..
BTW..I saw the movie last year and enjoyed it thoroughly. At least it makes people think once in a while.

Angie H
Angie H 08/15/12 - 09:50 am
freeatlast. You DO realize

freeatlast. You DO realize that the Ryan plan affects NO ONE over 55, and those 55 and under can keep the current medicare plan if they choose to. Explain how that dismantles medicare? You are just repeating the same lies that the Obama campaign is using. Why not say they want to kill seniors while you are at it.

TParty
TParty 08/15/12 - 10:50 am
I like Ryan- he brings ideas

I like Ryan- he brings ideas to the table, and willing to discuss them with anybody. He is way better than Romney on every level. With that said- I have a couple of concerns.

1.) He is a career politician. It's hard to say people need term limits, then support Ryan. I know if he becomes the VP, he won't go back into congress- but if he doesn't make it, and he retains his seat... I'm just saying, you can't have your cake and eat it too. (I don't think term limits are ever going to happen, I don't support them since we can vote them out. I'm just bringing this up for those who want term limits, which is popular on this page.)

My second concern is the biggest:

2.) Paul Ryan voted for two wars, unpaid for. He voted for the massive Bush Tax Cuts, unpaid for. He voted to expand Medicare, he voted for TARP, he voted for the bank bailout, all unpaid for. The CBO says this makes up a majority of US debt. With a voting record like this, how can we trust him when it comes to the financial problems?

TParty
TParty 08/15/12 - 10:57 am
Allhans

Ryan makes it very clear how Ayn Rand has shaped him and inspired him.

He said:
"I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are. It's inspired me so much that it's required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff."

Also: "But the reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand. And the fight we are in here, make no mistake about it, is a fight of individualism versus collectivism."

If you want to read that as he only enjoyed her novels, that's on you.

I wonder what the Fox News would do if they found out Obama loves the philosophy of a Russian atheist.!

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/15/12 - 11:00 am
Right

Vote for the one running who supports term limits. Who would that be? Tparty, would you please at least TRY to be a little less transparent?

TParty
TParty 08/15/12 - 11:24 am
"Vote for the one running who

"Vote for the one running who supports term limits. Who would that be?"

Well no politicians are- why would try to lose their job? Just like they make sure they can't get into trouble for insider trader, and make so many loopholes to allow bribes, while making it look like it's illegal. I just brought up the career politician for the folks who want to make term limits, (Maybe 2-3 times a month it's brought up?)- but that means losing people like Ryan.

I'm very transparent, thank you very much.

grouse
grouse 08/15/12 - 11:30 am
Hilarious! The Republicans,

Angie H
Angie H 08/15/12 - 11:40 am
"Hilarious! The Republicans,

"Hilarious! The Republicans, the purveyors of emotion, being called the voice of reason...:

This from the party who lies and says that the Ryan plan will end medicare, tells African American's that Ryan wants to put them back in chains, and makes commercials pushing an old lady in a wheelchair off a cliff. But it's the Republicans that are the purveyors of emotion.....makes sense.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 08/15/12 - 12:26 pm
lets try to understand

lets try to understand this...erskine bowles a democrat praises ryan..also erskine bolwes i believe was appointed on the much obama hyped debt committee then he ignored their findings and reccomendations. sorta like the much hyped jobs committee..which meet once for a photo op..no one the last couple of years voted for obamas budget in the senate..in fact harry never passed a budget in the senate or tried..which is required by law.....so we get grown ups who want to face our fiscal cliff and try to resolve our problems...and obumler and biden who have never offered a serious plan, hide their heads in the sand, call other names and pretend the tooth fairy will come and all will be well and rosy if they are re-elected..and we are the radicals and now we worry what ryan read in college...heck lets look at obumler record in school oh i forgot its sealed..how about him sitting under the rev in chicago who spewed hate ..oh he was a sleep..and doesnt remember...thats our prez time for him to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/15/12 - 12:55 pm
the obama

nazi regime is at it again. joe biden telling blacks that Republicans are going "to put them in chains, again" is the latest example. The democratic regime makes no apology for the comment for two (2) reasons: they have put everyone "in chains" and biden (seriously) suffers from a traumatic brain injury that cannot be corrected. Whether this injury was self-inflicted, an accident or an act of God I know not. My wife's well-respected neurosurgeon has apparently been part of a study to determine the extent of the damage to biden's brain. obama is a disaster but biden is mentally out of control, literally.

specsta
specsta 08/15/12 - 02:58 pm
It's Tough To Be Rich

Riverman1 wrote: "Can't you imagine the angst when a Democrat has to write checks to pay the bills? Why do I have to pay this? How come rich people and corporations can't give me free medical care, food, housing, electricity, gas, cars, clothes, cell phones, cable TV, internet connections, birth control and booze?"

Imagine the angst when a wealthy conservative/Republican would have to pay bills - minus his millionaire tax breaks, corporate subsidies, hidden offshore tax-free accounts, and stock options that utilize fuzzy math.

"Why do I have to pay more taxes just because I make more money? Don't the poor realize that the more money I have, the more money will trickle down to them? Why should any of my income go to help any of those lazy poor people? They should pay a higher tax so I can pay less. They choose to be poor. Don't the poor realize that I will be unhappy without my Benz, my European villa, and my 50-room house? Why should I suffer just because I'm rich? Why, why, why???"

Cue the tears.

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/15/12 - 03:06 pm
my reasoning tells me not to

my reasoning tells me not to bother voting in the presidential election as either offering is not to my liking to the same degree. my emotion tells me to grab a drink. i think i'll do both.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/15/12 - 03:16 pm
omnomnom

That sounds like a good plan, especially in light of the fact that Ga. will go heavily to R/R anyway regardless of how you vote.

allhans
allhans 08/15/12 - 03:17 pm
TParty Let's change the

TParty Let's change the name from Ryan to Biden....
Joe Biden voted for.......every voted for two wars, unpaid for. He voted for the massive Bush Tax Cuts, unpaid for. He voted to expand Medicare, he voted for TARP, he voted for the bank bailout, all unpaid for. The CBO says this makes up a majority of US debt. With a voting record like this, how can we trust him when it comes to

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/15/12 - 03:51 pm

UGA seeks Gurley reinstatement

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia will file paperwork today with the NCAA to seek reinstatement for suspended star running back Todd Gurley, the school said in an announcement Wednesday morning.