Appetite for intolerance

Liberals, conservatives alike decry concocted Chick-fil-A controversy

So, gosh, this is what tolerance looks like!

Liberals have been crying out for tolerance for years. Turns out, they’re some of the last ones to offer it.

When the media recently whipped up a tempest over how Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy had supposedly lashed out at gay marriage, actress and far-left presidential candidate Roseanne Barr wrote on Twitter that anyone who eats there “deserves to get the cancer that is sure to come from eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ.”

Of course, she substituted “Chick” with a rhyming vulgarity.

Meanwhile, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino pledged to deny a business license there to a company “that discriminates against a population.”

This is quite an interesting imbroglio – a media-made brush fire to fill the dog days with fun-and-easy anti-conservative controversy.

Several problems with it, though.

First, Mr. Cathy never attacked anyone or condemned anything, and never used the term “gay marriage.” He was quoted in several stories as acknowledging that the family-owned chain believes in the traditional, biblical view of marriage and family.

“Guilty as charged. We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit,” he said in several interviews.

That’s it.

For stating his family’s view – one that is still shared by millions of Americans – this very successful and philanthropic businessman is to be denied his right to have his company and its very happy and loyal employees earn a living in some cities?

Is that American? Or is it fascist?

Even liberal newspapers in Chicago, Boston and Los Angeles have blasted city officials for threatening Chick-fil-A, with the Chicago Sun-Times telling Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to “back off”: “Government has no business withholding zoning permits and licenses just because it objects to a businessman’s religious or political views.”

And get this: An American Civil Liberties Union lawyer in Illinois sided with Chick-fil-A too, saying, “The government can regulate discrimination in employment or against customers, but what the government cannot do is to punish someone for their words.”

Moreover, while the mayor of Boston later backed off his threats, his claim of discrimination is pure nonsense. As Kyle Wingfield notes in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “I have yet to see the first shred of evidence Chick-fil-A is actually discriminating ...”

If a conservative had publicly wished that a segment of the population contracted cancer, as the acidic Ms. Barr has just done, you’d never hear the end of it. It would top Anderson Cooper’s show on CNN every night for a week.

The truth, which you won’t hear much in the “mainstream” media, is that Chick-fil-A, and thousands of other Christian-based businesses just like it, are not only world-class tolerant but endlessly generous and giving. Chick-fil-A’s good deeds alone could fill a book and a heart, from scholarship to foster care and other ministry.

They don’t condemn anyone. But neither should they be condemned for living out their faith and being true to their basic beliefs. Nor should they be discriminated against for speaking their minds peacefully, sincerely and openly.

Unless their critics’ goal isn’t tolerance but submission.

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 03:03 pm
"Are we just making up

"Are we just making up scenarios?"

Answering with a question is a good way to show you have no substance to stand on. You can't beat the facts so you avoid them. All your arguments about gay marriage have been based on theory, when mine have been on fact. That is clear when you finally answer with such a silly quetion, knowing I was just using the scenario as an example to say what would be IF all persons or animals were gay. Implying that I'm saying ALL PERSONS are gay is pathetic and ridiculous.

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:04 pm
Bachmann went on a recent

Bachmann went on a recent witch hunt, looking for Muslims in the administration. And she lies all the time. That does not make her a good person.

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:04 pm
You have no facts, just your

You have no facts, just your religion.

Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have for religion — we protect religion. And talk about a lifestyle choice — that is absolutely a choice. Gay people don’t choose to be gay. At what age did you choose to not be gay?

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/28/12 - 04:02 pm
Jon Lester, you stated at

Jon Lester, you stated at 10:37am, if the Cathy family really cared about Biblical principles, they would immediately stop selling bacon and sausage, and they would close on Saturdays instead of Sundays. Don't get me started about slaves, concubines, and making rape victims marry their assailants, and don't try to tell me none of that matters anymore, because Jesus specifically said he did not come to change "one jot or tittle" of the law.

……….your response so adamantly demonstrates that you have no clue what the Bible says. Yes, Jesus specifically said he did not come to change the law….HE CAME TO REPLACE IT. Do some studying and you will discover God replaced the Old Testament Laws and we follow His teachings under the New Covenant. The Old Covenant is still studied (not followed) so that we may be reminded of His sacrifice, His death, and His resurrection. Next time you wish to use scripture, don't.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 07/28/12 - 05:28 pm
Nobody

Does a better job at taking the Bible literally than a liberal.

First couple of things that they always go for is Old Testament stuff from back when God was a little bit meaner - stone adulterers; kill people who work on the Sabbath; etc.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/28/12 - 05:34 pm
60 Comments Later

Is why you will never see me get into a religious debate. There is never a winner but just more bad feelings. "I do My Thing, You Do Your Thing" OK

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 05:35 pm
@Tparty

Yes sir, you must be right in your superior wisdom. The idea that same sex of any species CAN NOT procreate must be my religion and can't be fact, right? Seems that someone has a problem with understanding what a FACT actually is. The actual FACT is, we could sit here all day and debate on whether homosexuality is a choice and it would get us nowhere. Why? Because there is absolutely ZERO evidence to prove either side. I believe it isn't choice because it goes completely against the laws of nature. You believe its a choice because........well, someone tells you it is or you feel it is, neither is proven, I suppose.

One more point to prove the hatred on the left; On a recent thread "Don't Change our morality" the left relentlessly blasted Dr. Ed Payne and his profession. Questioning his professionalism as a Dr. only because he disagrees with them. They said he wasn't worthy to be a doctor. They attacked him with vile personal attacks, again only because he wrote a column that disagrees with their beliefs.

This is the problem, I would have no problems seeing a medical doctor who was openly gay. Why? Because I know several gays and know their personal lives don't effect their job preformance. Many are the best at what they do. Many are just plain good human beings and care greatly about others. But you rarely (if ever) hear this from extreme leftists about people of the Christian faith. Because we stand strong against Gay Marriage, we are vilified. This is what is getting people of faith fed up with leftists.

Leftists want us to look at vicious pitbull and see a cute little teddy bear. Michelle Bachman has plenty of reason to question whether extreme muslims are a part of this administration. Why? Because they ARE. There is MASSIVE EVIDENCE to at least call someone to question it. I'm not going to take the time to name all of them (because I would have to look it up again) but Obama has appointed members of the muslim brotherhood to cabinet positions, and many of them. He has befriended extreme muslims. Look it up yourself, its quite easy to find. Look up the recent statements by the new Egyptian President and what his goal is. I do believe he openly stated his goal is Jihad. He is a ranking member of the muslim brotherhood. But liberals will tell you the muslim brotherhood is not a terrorist organization. Yeah, I guess that not where Osama Bin Laden got his start either, huh? It is as I've stated, Liberals want us to look at a terrorist and see George Washington. The Bible tells us all about this, they make right seem wrong and wrong seem right. Confusion is their biggest weapon.

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 05:35 pm
"Funny how an "atheist" is

"Funny how an "atheist" is always quick to fire off some stuff out of Leviticus or sumthin'."

That's the god people worship. The one that wants other humans to stone other humans to death for wearing fabric with mixed fibers. Your god made those rules. And then Christians want to use Leviticus (only one part) where it says a man should not lie with another man as he does a woman as an excuse to say homosexuals are against gods law.

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 05:40 pm
@Cobalt

I agree with you in part but I disagree somewhat. I realize you can't convince committed atheists or liberals but we must still witness and speak up. I will stand strong for my beliefs and know that I don't hate anyone. I use common sense reasoning in speaking to others about my beliefs. I know I get overly passionate sometimes and thats because I AM passionate about it. I will not just sit back and be a doormat for liberals to wipe their feet on. I don't hate them for what they say but I will make our voice heard in whatever format I am able.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 07/28/12 - 05:43 pm
Tparty

I'm Catholic. We just do weird costumes and rituals. Most of us don't take the Bible literally.

Those of us who have done some reading know that the bible has been manipulated by mankind for centuries.

I mean, look what Martin Luther did to OUR bible! LOL!

Not every religious person is into literal interpretations of the Scripture. And I for one don't go for any of the apocalypse themed hyperbole.

You just have a deep contempt for anything remotely conservative and you like to use that good book to beat people over the head too.

Right?

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 05:54 pm
"Because I know several

"Because I know several gays"

Then you should ask them if they were born that way.

What are the laws of nature?

And Dr. Payne tried comparing homosexuality to pedophilia. That the reason children are harmed by adults sexually is because of homosexuals. That's the problem, because that is so wrong, it makes me sick. You say you know several gays who are professional- you tell them to their face they are the reason pedophiles are around.

Chick-Fil-A, you and others can believe and promote your "traditional" marriage stance. And others can object to that stance. The problem comes from people saying gays are deviants, and they choose to be that way. Another thing you and others have to realize is that as you promote your ideals- there will be people who stand on the other side who will fight against it.

When Don't ask Don't Tell was over turned, and gays can now serve openly in the military- the world did not collapse. IN other nations where gay marriage is allowed, the world did not collapse. When it happens here in America, nothing else will change. You'll see.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/28/12 - 06:00 pm
myfather15

You are doing a very good job and can do it in a PC way, where as, I can't. You can speak for me. OK

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 06:03 pm
Liberals that use those

Liberals that use those scriptures haven't taken the time to find out what the text actually meant in the ancient Hebrew language it was written. Here is a newsflash for liberals; The Bible wasn't written in English, it was translated or better said; transliterated into the English. As with anything, Men missed many of the correct translations and symbology used in the Bible. Did God allow this? Of course He did, He has always allowed man to error. If he didn't he would be manipulating man's FREE WILL. Why? Because he knows those that care enough will investigate deeply to find the TRUTH. He knows many will not care enough with their FREE WILL to find Truth. In that aspect he can still hold them perfectly accountable for their lack of desire to find the Truth.

People like that will never understand God because they don't believe in Him. If they did, they would understand that God believed in sacrifice for the good people. In the old testament, God did command that SOME of those who wouldn't obey, be sacrificed for the well being of those who were good people. Its the same reason many will go to the lake that burneth with fire and brimestone. God doesn't want a single soul to perish but He will do it for those that deserve a truly peaceful life. A life without murder, rape, stealing, child molestation, lying, war, genocide, ect. The ONLY way to have this life we dream of, is that ANYONE who would WILLINGLY commit any of those offenses, does not exist any longer.

Thats another aspect of the "Traditional" Christain faith I personally disagree with. I don't believe people will just sit in the FIRE and burn for eternity. I believe the fire will devour their souls and their very existence. They won't suffer for eternity, they will receive the second death. There are many scriptures to back this belief.

Atheists can NOT think spiritually because they don't believe in God. If they could see with their own two eyes, what we have faith in, they would understand how God operates. Death in this flesh life isn't death at all to him. A person who dies in this flesh has never been more alive to Him. Everything He has commanded in the Bible was for the betterment of His children.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/28/12 - 06:04 pm
Willow

...put it best hours ago when she posted,

"Acceptance of another's decision and beliefs doesn't mean I must lay down my own."

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 06:43 pm
@Tparty

I have actually had this same conversation with friends of mine. We have disagreed and DIDN'T call each other names. Why? Because when I speak to them and them to me, we don't do it in judgemental and condemning name calling. They know I'm a decent person and I know they are as well. We just disagree on some issues. They know I don't care personally who they love or have a relationship with, but I stand against legalization of gay marriage.

What is the laws of nature? I will leave that up to you to decide for yourself, I think you know exactly what I meant by laws of nature. I was specifically talking about the laws of nature that apply to procreation. But you come up with whatever you decide, I don't care.

I could be wrong but I don't recall anyone from Chick-fil-a calling gays deviants. They just said the same thing I do, that I stand for traditional marriage between one man and one woman. The problem is that Chick-fil-a has done nothing but express their beliefs. Then the "gay community" has to use their influence to supress their beliefs. They form a National Kiss-the-same-sex day at Chick-fil-a. How ridiculous is this? They are trying to force their opinions on people who don't believe as they do. This man built His business on his own (not according to Obama) and he owns it. Why do they have the right to invade and disrupt his restaurants just because he believes different than they do and expressed it? But with liberals, there is no limits to what they will do to further their agendas.

Your right, when "Don't ask don't tell" was overturned, life went on as usual. There weren't Christians on every corner demanding JUSTICE. Some openly expressed displeasure with it, but there weren't riots and backlash you would have when a liberal agenda is overturned. I was in the Marines in the mid 90's. I knew there were gay people serving and couldn't have cared less. A gay person wanting to serve their Country shouldn't be forbidden from doing so. My only question about the whole thing was; How do you seperate during such things as boot camp, when you are showering in open showers. I'm sure the female recruits WOULD NOT want to shower with me in an open shower. Why? Because I'm attracted to the opposite sex. Not that I would sexually assault them but the temptation would be there to look and admire what your attracted to. To deny that is too deny human nature. Same things for gays, I just don't see how they say they would have ZERO temptation to even take a glance at someone they are ATTRACTED too.

I know I wouldn't personally have a problem with showering with them because I'm perfectly confident. If a gay person was to hit on me (and they have) I would just simply say "Dude, that ain't me." and laugh it off. But others might not feel as comfortable, so where does there rights come in? Don't they have the right not to shower with someone who might be attracted to them? I'm a deputy, a good friend of mine that is gay is an EMT. He used to walked up to me constantly and put his hand down the V in my work shirt. He used to tell me all the time that he loved my hairy chest. NEVER did I get offended, I knew this man and he knew me. I knew he was doing it in a playful manor. He knew I was married and pure hetro but he loved to cut up with people.

I know this was a long boring post but I just wanted to make some points. I'm not a hater of anyone for any reason. I treat ALL people with respect until they provide me reason to do otherwise, but many do.

happychimer
19610
happychimer 07/28/12 - 06:55 pm
I agree with cobalt on

I agree with cobalt on religous debates.There is never a winner but just more bad feelings. "I do My Thing, You Do Your Thing" OK
As for me,add politics to that.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/28/12 - 07:10 pm
Yes Happy

I got that attitude while in the Army, I saw debates on religion turn good men against each other and never saw a reason for it.

myfather15 has spent a long time on this issue and has spoken some real good feelings on the subject. He should have been a preacher instead of a deputy.

Happy, with politics, at the end there will always be a winner and loser. The human race will never have a winner or loser when it comes to religion.

happychimer
19610
happychimer 07/28/12 - 07:30 pm
Elections have winners, but

Elections have winners, but debaters don't. My daddy told me never argue politics and religion. He was right.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/28/12 - 07:48 pm
"There is a huge Chick fil A

"There is a huge Chick fil A in the heart of the Gold Coast area of Chicago completely packed with all types of customers and employees. Has there ever been a better business model than this company? I really don't think so. Everything they do reflects love and respect for others."

What she said. CFA's business model is to be envied; their service is superb with employees always pleasant and polite, their food is consistent and of good quality, they respect their employees and don't ask them to work late nights or Sundays, etc. I've NEVER had an order messed up at a CFA, and I've eaten at them for many years.Their food is much less unhealthy for you than most fast food, they've led the way with removing sat fats, trans fats, etc.

dwb619
dwb619 07/28/12 - 08:02 pm
politics and religion

It's just my opinion, but I think a wise business man should keep his politics and religion at home and not take them to the "store'.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/28/12 - 09:55 pm
Don't like Leviticus

Don't like Leviticus TParty....try Romans then.

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even [1] their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also [2] the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense [penalty] of their error which was meet [due]" (Rom. 1:26-27).

First of all, all that is to follow in this dissertation by Paul comes under the general category of "vile affections." The word vile in this verse is Strong's #819 atimia, which means, "infamy, indignity, disgrace, dishonor, reproach, shame, vile." And so the things of which Paul is going to speak, are things that are: infamous, indignant, disgraceful, dishonorable, reproachable, shameful, and vile. Not a pretty picture; not a dissertation on godly virtue and morality.

Yeah, go ahead and say it....this was writings from Paul. Since the Word of God is inspired by God and His own breath, given to Paul to write, then I'd say these words have come straight from the horses mouth (so to speak). You don't have to believe it, you don't even have to follow it, but your nonbelief and denials doesn't mean it's not the truth.

myfather15
myfather15 07/29/12 - 05:18 am
I personally don't like to

I personally don't like to call my faith "Religion". I refer to it as Reality because God is not religion but reality. We shall have a winner in "Religion" when the time comes. Maybe not during this dispensation of time, but as soon as Christ returns, we start a new dispensation of time. A time of learning Truth and many shall be starting over at the kindergarten level. I certainly can not wait for that day, a day when EVERY knee shall bow. But God's plan must be fulfilled first, and I nor anyone else should wish to expedite that.