Appetite for intolerance

Liberals, conservatives alike decry concocted Chick-fil-A controversy

So, gosh, this is what tolerance looks like!

Liberals have been crying out for tolerance for years. Turns out, they’re some of the last ones to offer it.

When the media recently whipped up a tempest over how Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy had supposedly lashed out at gay marriage, actress and far-left presidential candidate Roseanne Barr wrote on Twitter that anyone who eats there “deserves to get the cancer that is sure to come from eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ.”

Of course, she substituted “Chick” with a rhyming vulgarity.

Meanwhile, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino pledged to deny a business license there to a company “that discriminates against a population.”

This is quite an interesting imbroglio – a media-made brush fire to fill the dog days with fun-and-easy anti-conservative controversy.

Several problems with it, though.

First, Mr. Cathy never attacked anyone or condemned anything, and never used the term “gay marriage.” He was quoted in several stories as acknowledging that the family-owned chain believes in the traditional, biblical view of marriage and family.

“Guilty as charged. We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit,” he said in several interviews.

That’s it.

For stating his family’s view – one that is still shared by millions of Americans – this very successful and philanthropic businessman is to be denied his right to have his company and its very happy and loyal employees earn a living in some cities?

Is that American? Or is it fascist?

Even liberal newspapers in Chicago, Boston and Los Angeles have blasted city officials for threatening Chick-fil-A, with the Chicago Sun-Times telling Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to “back off”: “Government has no business withholding zoning permits and licenses just because it objects to a businessman’s religious or political views.”

And get this: An American Civil Liberties Union lawyer in Illinois sided with Chick-fil-A too, saying, “The government can regulate discrimination in employment or against customers, but what the government cannot do is to punish someone for their words.”

Moreover, while the mayor of Boston later backed off his threats, his claim of discrimination is pure nonsense. As Kyle Wingfield notes in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “I have yet to see the first shred of evidence Chick-fil-A is actually discriminating ...”

If a conservative had publicly wished that a segment of the population contracted cancer, as the acidic Ms. Barr has just done, you’d never hear the end of it. It would top Anderson Cooper’s show on CNN every night for a week.

The truth, which you won’t hear much in the “mainstream” media, is that Chick-fil-A, and thousands of other Christian-based businesses just like it, are not only world-class tolerant but endlessly generous and giving. Chick-fil-A’s good deeds alone could fill a book and a heart, from scholarship to foster care and other ministry.

They don’t condemn anyone. But neither should they be condemned for living out their faith and being true to their basic beliefs. Nor should they be discriminated against for speaking their minds peacefully, sincerely and openly.

Unless their critics’ goal isn’t tolerance but submission.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/12 - 11:44 am
Rahm Emanuel in 2016

Rahm Emanuel is raking in huge campaign contributions these days even though he's not running for anything. Democrats meet your candidate for 2016. Aren't you proud?

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 12:22 pm
Chick-Fil-A has every right

Chick-Fil-A has every right to donate to whatever they want.

Here are donations made by the franchise.

They can do that, no problem. What I don't understand is, how is a rejection of speech that is offensive to most Americans- the same as the offensive comments themselves?

If I reject someone stating that black people are inferior, my rejection is "intolerant?" Come on...

grouse
grouse 07/28/12 - 12:56 pm
Chick-fil-A has every right

Chick-fil-A has every right to donate to whatever cause they wish. Those disagreeing with them have every right to to boycott them or speak against them. However, If Chick-fil-A gave donations to the KKK or even liberal organizations, the ACES would be singing another tune. The mayors, et al, are engaging in bombast and hyperbole. They, alone, have no power to prevent Chick-fil-A from opening restaurants.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/28/12 - 01:52 pm
Techfan

When I read your comments and see 10 thumbs down on one and 9 on another it reminds me of a WWII story that made the rounds in the early forties. A nice old lady was visiting her sons first parade after he joined up. When his company passed the reviewing stand her son Jack would put his left foot down while all of his mates were putting their right foot down. The nice old lady turned to a friend and said " Look, everyone is out of step but my Jackie boy".

Jake
Jake 07/28/12 - 02:21 pm
Out of step

I am thankful that some people get out of step sometimes. That is how many new ideas and changes are born.

harley_52
harley_52 07/28/12 - 02:35 pm
Not That....

...."new ideas and changes" are necessarily good, mind you.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 07/28/12 - 02:39 pm
OUT of step

It seems that some that comment here have lost their sense of humor. Three so far.

socks99
socks99 07/28/12 - 02:41 pm
Hard-hitting, on-target

Hard-hitting, on-target Op-Ed! Very nicely done!

One thing to add might be to connect this concocted story BACK to the Associated Press. It's their baby, let them keep it!

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 02:44 pm
What is the "concocted"

What is the "concocted" story?!

Jake
Jake 07/28/12 - 03:54 pm
Sense of Humor

I saw the humor in the post but since it was directed at a certain individual who's thumbs down almost always outnumber his thumbs up because of his views, I felt compelled to post what I did. I mean you called him out because he had a lot of thumbs down which implied, at least to me, is that if you get a lot of thumbs down that means you are wrong and if you get a lot of thumbs up that means you are right. All the thumbs up or down mean to me is that you are going along with the prevailing sentiment of the posters, not necessarily a right or wrong issue.
"Not that 'new ideas and changes' are necessarily good, mind you" - Agreed, I was thinking more along the lines of Galileo and his absurd (at the time) view that the sun was the center of our solar system.

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 02:56 pm
@Tparty

You claim to want civility, but you finish your post by insulting Christian's by calling our religion "Mythology". That is the problem with extreme left wingers. They are full of hate. They can't have a debate or discussion without insulting and calling names. I debate on here all the time with folks but I have never talked bad about gays. All I say is that I disagree with gay marriage and give my reasoning for it. Leftists are constantly calling us crazy, imaginary sky god worshippers, dreamers, lesser educated and the list goes on.

Also, if a hetrosexual couple can't have children, it is because of health reasons, period. Answer this question, if you dare, which I highly doubt because liberals always ignore what they can't refute but here it goes. Is the reason homosexual couples can't procreate because of health reasons??? Hhhhhmmm, I don't think so.

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 03:11 pm
@techfan

"So the 1,500 or so species that are known to prcatice homosexual behavior are all unatural? See:Bonobo, sexual bahavior. Evidently you confuse sexual behavior with procreating. Asexual reproduction? Hermaphroditic reproduction? Animals that can change sex? All unatural? "

I just can not believe I actually hear this argument over and over. "Because animals do it, we should accept it."

My dog will hump another male dog, any stuffed animal, my leg, my neighbors leg, a cat and dang near anything you put in front of him. So I suppose since he acts like this, WE SHOULD?? Liberals love to spout off about their higher educations and indeed how smart they are, then tell us we need to act like animals to serve their agenda. We are a higher intelligent being that ANIMALS. This is this most ridiculous example of excusing bad behavior but liberals continue to use it.

I guess since I seen a monkey at the zoo the other day picking his nose and eating it, I should start that behavior. I witnessed a dog the other day eating his own feces, Weeeeell, sounds like I don't even need a toilet anymore, just a dinner tray. That is exactly how ridiculous it sounds when liberals say that dumb animals do it, so its natural for us to do it as well. Well, liberals may not consider themselves any higher intellect than a dumb animal, but I do consider myself to be better than animals. Please all you PETA lovers, don't get on to me for calling animals dumb. THEY ARE DUMB, but very tasty!!

Jake
Jake 07/28/12 - 03:09 pm
Mythology

Is the term "mythology" an insult when directed at an established religion? The Greeks and Romans had their mythology which was very well established and accepted by many in their times but has since been debunked by modern standards and theologies. In the future, who is to say that all of the modern religions won't be debunked as well?

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:20 pm
"Answer this question, if you

"Answer this question, if you dare, which I highly doubt because liberals always ignore what they can't refute but here it goes. Is the reason homosexual couples can't procreate because of health reasons?"

I'm not a liberal. Maybe you guys keep thinking I am because I do not believe hurricanes are caused by gays. It's obvious why same sex couples cannot procreate with one another. Is that the litmus test for marriage though- you need to be able to procreate? Because again- there are couples that are sterile or mothers just continue having miscarriages, and couples that decide to not have children- bu they love each other very much, and so they get married. Should they not be allowed too?

And yeah- I'll continue to call every religion a mythology, and you Christians can continue to treat homosexuals as abominations, and second class citizens.

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:22 pm
And how many gay people does

And how many gay people does your god have to continue bringing into this world before you accept gay people?

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 03:22 pm
@Jake

Why can't someone just say they disagree with a certain religion without calling it mythology? I disagree with Islam, Catholics, Jewish and a lot of traditional Christian beliefs, but I don't insult them by calling their beliefs mythology. I just witness what I believe and let the chips fall where they will. The TRUTH shall be proven very soon and these debates will be over, FOR EVER.

For example, there are MANY traditional Christian beliefs that I disagree with. I do not believe in a rapture, I don't believe Eve ate an apple, I don't believe the earth is only 6000 years old approximately, I don't believe we must love everyone (Even God hated, "Jacob I loved, Esau I hated") I believe God is capable of every single emotion that we have.

I'm not getting into a debate on here with other Christians about those beliefs I stated above. It would take way to long and too much typing.

My point to that is that I DO NOT fall along the normal lines of Traditional Christians. But I DO NOT sit around and call their beliefs names. That divides us and I don't see any purpose in causing division. I just witness and leave it alone. Liberals always have to make fun and call ANYONES religion fake, dumb, mythology, imaginary sky god, crazy. Why can't they just say they don't believe how we believe?

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 03:30 pm
@TParty

See, there you continue.....

Your claiming people are born that way with ZERO Proof besides YOUR WORD and others like you. Spouting blather as if its FACT, which it IS NOT. God didn't send them into this world like that, THEY CHOOSE to be that way. Stop comparing them to other minorities that are CLEARLY BORN THAT WAY, such as blacks and women. Thats an insult to people of different races and sex.

No, its not a litmus test, but it is A PRETTY GOOD INDICATOR THAT ITS AGAINST NATURE. However you believe we came about, NATURE made a NATURAL ORDER. All animals MUST Procreate or they go into extinction, PERIOD. So if all animals and humans were GAY, there would be NO ANIMALS OR HUMANS. How hard is this to understand. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT CARE who people sleep with in the privacy of their homes, BUT I WILL NOT SUPPORT IT AS MARRIAGE. AND IM NO BIGOT FOR DOING SO!!!!!

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:30 pm
You know... this feigned

You know... this feigned shocked and anger about your religion being called a mythology baffles me- when Christians use their religion to attack people who live their lives differently (Homosexuals).

It saddens me that Christians can say what they want about anyone, and if anyone should stand up to that- they believe they are under attack. Reminds me of this cartoon:

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:40 pm
"Your claiming people are

"Your claiming people are born that way with ZERO Proof besides YOUR WORD and others like you."

The only proof I need is that I do not wake up every wondering what kind people I'm attracted too. Do you struggle and wonder "Hmm, should I like ladies or gentleman today?"

Some more proof is that there are children who are gay- and high school is tough enough as it is being slightly different. So why a kid would choose to be gay and harassed and bullied is beyond me.

Some more proof is that I have gay friends, and you can ask them. It's who they are.

This idea that we'll go extinct unless everyone procreates is also silly. Again- animals are born sterile, can find a mate, or can't carry off spring. Not EVERY animal NEEDS to procreate or else. We are seeing it now- with a population of 6.5 billion. There are a lot of gays in that number, and a lot of sterile people and yet we are surviving.

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 03:40 pm
Also,

I'm not a member of Westboro Baptist Church sir or madam. So I don't believe hurricanes are God's way of punishing Gays, but nice attempt to sterotype all Christians.

I have never treated a gay person as an abomination, EVER!!! Yes, the Bible says its an abomination to God, because he created the natural order of things and it GOES AGAINST HIS ORDER. Its not the person thats an abomination, but the ACT that is. Again, because that is NOT how he created it. But the Bible doesn't tell us to TREAT THEM THAT WAY. Send your BLATHER somewhere else, you can't beat TRUTH.

"By their fruits, ye shall know them." Just because someone says they are no liberal, doesn't mean they aren't. But it was a good attempt at smearing a certain group with the choice of your screen name. Attempting to make people believe that Tpartiers believe as you do, when the truth is far from it. Liberals use such tactics all the time to smear those they disagree with. They have actually sent "Spies" to Tea Party events to act like idiots and nutjobs, just to smear the REAL Tea Party.

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:43 pm
"I just witness and leave it

"I just witness and leave it alone."

Apply that to the gays. It's exactly what I do to other every other religion and lifestyle myself- so long as they do not force their religion or life style in our lives. And I say when people try to make laws based on their religion- that is forcing.

Just witness and leave it alone. Very great advice. I love it!!

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:44 pm
Pat Robertson is not part of

Pat Robertson is not part of the WBC- but he says those things. Very prominent leader in the Christian world.

carcraft
carcraft 07/28/12 - 03:46 pm
God allows gays into the

God allows gays into the world the same way he allows all forms of sinful people into the world (me included). God allowed Christ His Son to redeem us and calls upon is to take advantage of this grace and love. Now if you take advantage of this offer from God is YOUR choice! Because people exist with all kinds of sinful proclivities (greed, lust, gluttony, envy, etc) doesn't mean this is God's will for man!

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:47 pm
The TEA Party is not a

The TEA Party is not a religious party, it's a fiscally sound party. Nice try though trying to get the Christians message into everything. Keep it out of our party, it's ruining it. Thanks to religious nut jobs like Bachmann, it's making the TEA party look like crazies

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 03:48 pm
OMG!!!

I'm going to comment just once more on this then I'm getting ready for work.

I NEVER SAID that we would go extinct unless EVERYONE Procreates. I said we must have procreation or animals and humans would be extinct. AND THAT IS A FACT. How in this world are you trying to refute that??? No, not every human must procreate but you better believe that SOME MUST DO SO. What I said was that if EVERYONE HUMAN WERE GAY, we would go into extinction and YES, that is a FACT. So thats enough for me to believe gay marriage shouldn't be legalized. It is against the laws of Nature. All species of would be extinct, period.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 07/28/12 - 03:57 pm
Whiney

Is it just me, or all these Chick Fil A boycotters a bunch of sissies?

When y'all cross dress, do ya ever put on yer big girl panties?

If you are so proud to be gay, just go on and be gay. I'll betcha this much though - Chick Fil A won't go down because of any boycott.

Remember Cracker Barrel? Lot of good that boycott did, huh?

How about when the Southern Baptists boycotted Disney?

There is a Chick Fil A up the road from my house which is located in a "blue" district. Doesn't look like their biz is suffering.

Wishful thinking on the part of gays.

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:53 pm
And even if I was liberal-

And even if I was liberal- who cares. There are so many kind of liberals out there- but you and others try to lump them all in the same group. But then you Christians make it clear that it's unfair to lump all Christians together. "Oh, that Christian that blew up those clinics, not one of us. Nor that one that killed people in Norway. And those Westboro Bapist Church? They are not one of us Christians either. Nor the Christians that believe the world is 6,000 years old, and the bible is the literal word of god, that are the not same as the Christ I follow." And the list goes on and on and on about the differences. YOu made the case yourself the differences- and to explain would take up too much time.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/28/12 - 03:55 pm
Ridiculous controversy

Liberals are great at making mountains out of molehills, unless it is their guy who is getting his butt kicked. Notice how they rallied behind Obammy when he put his foot in his mouth, talking about businesses and how the owners didn't build them. Of course, liberals are glad to have another subject to take the focus off of Barry and the dismal job he's done as president for nearly 4 years now. Guess you can't really blame them for that. It must be embarrassing, trying to defend Obama's poor record and support his re-election bid.

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 03:57 pm
Not everyone is gay, and no

Not everyone is gay, and no one said everyone is gay. "What I said was that if EVERYONE HUMAN WERE GAY, we would go into extinction and YES, that is a FACT."

Are we just making up scenarios?

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 03:57 pm
Point proven, another

Point proven, another reference to a Christian as a "Nutjob" just because you don't believe they way she believes. She is a good, decent human being. I bet she treats people with far more respect than you sir or madam. I still have not a single time referred to a gay or atheist with a demeaning name. I just stated that I disagree with them and explain why.