Appetite for intolerance

Liberals, conservatives alike decry concocted Chick-fil-A controversy

So, gosh, this is what tolerance looks like!

Liberals have been crying out for tolerance for years. Turns out, they’re some of the last ones to offer it.

When the media recently whipped up a tempest over how Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy had supposedly lashed out at gay marriage, actress and far-left presidential candidate Roseanne Barr wrote on Twitter that anyone who eats there “deserves to get the cancer that is sure to come from eating antibiotic filled tortured chickens 4Christ.”

Of course, she substituted “Chick” with a rhyming vulgarity.

Meanwhile, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino pledged to deny a business license there to a company “that discriminates against a population.”

This is quite an interesting imbroglio – a media-made brush fire to fill the dog days with fun-and-easy anti-conservative controversy.

Several problems with it, though.

First, Mr. Cathy never attacked anyone or condemned anything, and never used the term “gay marriage.” He was quoted in several stories as acknowledging that the family-owned chain believes in the traditional, biblical view of marriage and family.

“Guilty as charged. We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit,” he said in several interviews.

That’s it.

For stating his family’s view – one that is still shared by millions of Americans – this very successful and philanthropic businessman is to be denied his right to have his company and its very happy and loyal employees earn a living in some cities?

Is that American? Or is it fascist?

Even liberal newspapers in Chicago, Boston and Los Angeles have blasted city officials for threatening Chick-fil-A, with the Chicago Sun-Times telling Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to “back off”: “Government has no business withholding zoning permits and licenses just because it objects to a businessman’s religious or political views.”

And get this: An American Civil Liberties Union lawyer in Illinois sided with Chick-fil-A too, saying, “The government can regulate discrimination in employment or against customers, but what the government cannot do is to punish someone for their words.”

Moreover, while the mayor of Boston later backed off his threats, his claim of discrimination is pure nonsense. As Kyle Wingfield notes in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “I have yet to see the first shred of evidence Chick-fil-A is actually discriminating ...”

If a conservative had publicly wished that a segment of the population contracted cancer, as the acidic Ms. Barr has just done, you’d never hear the end of it. It would top Anderson Cooper’s show on CNN every night for a week.

The truth, which you won’t hear much in the “mainstream” media, is that Chick-fil-A, and thousands of other Christian-based businesses just like it, are not only world-class tolerant but endlessly generous and giving. Chick-fil-A’s good deeds alone could fill a book and a heart, from scholarship to foster care and other ministry.

They don’t condemn anyone. But neither should they be condemned for living out their faith and being true to their basic beliefs. Nor should they be discriminated against for speaking their minds peacefully, sincerely and openly.

Unless their critics’ goal isn’t tolerance but submission.

fedex227
fedex227 07/28/12 - 03:00 am
Of course, she substituted “Chick” with a rhyming vulgarity.

Rick? Click? Trick? Toothpick? Son of a Brick? Can the ACES be more specific please? Much as they were in their 26 July editorial quoting Jon Stewart's “What Story Does a Guy Have to Blow to Get in Trouble at ABC?” piece. Please provide some clarity and not leave your readership guessing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/28/12 - 04:30 am
The AC said..

I doubt they are either.....we all get riled up with our emotions...don't we...I would bet money that they have many gays & gay managers working at these restaurants.

Techfan
Techfan 07/28/12 - 05:49 am
Why would anyone think that

Why would anyone think that if they donate millions to groups that lobby for laws that discriminate that there might be some blowback? "We don't condemn, we just fund those that write the laws that do"

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 06:37 am
Here we go again........

Just as always, its discrimination to stand up for traditional marriage. Bla, Bla, Bla, Yada, Yada, Yada..........

As I stated on another thread here, homosexuality is against the laws of NATURE. Whether you believe God created us or we evolved from monkeys, its still against the laws of nature. Two male monkeys can NOT PROCREATE and neither can two female monkeys. It has NEVER happened, and it NEVER will. How is that FACT for you?

Has anyone ever noticed that three of the liberals main beliefs have one thing in common, that is diminishing the belief in God? Gay Marriage is agaisnt God's natural order. Global warming; How can you believe in global warming and believe God is in control? Abortion, if you believe God placed that soul in the fetus and he creates life, how can you just kill it? You must diminish, in a society, any belief in God to continue to practice such things. A strong belief in God does away will all of them. There is plenty more but I'm a little tired and don't feel like getting into it at the moment.

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/12 - 06:40 am
@techfan

Why do you go back to the article "Where's the responsibilty?" and read my response to the scripture you used to make your point? I would love to see your response to it. Thanks

Techfan
Techfan 07/28/12 - 07:09 am
So the 1,500 or so species

So the 1,500 or so species that are known to prcatice homosexual behavior are all unatural? See:Bonobo, sexual bahavior. Evidently you confuse sexual behavior with procreating. Asexual reproduction? Hermaphroditic reproduction? Animals that can change sex? All unatural? God is in control of everything? Man can have no influence. That might be an interesting defense in a murder trial. Your belief says a persons soul enters a fetus. The Jewish faith believes it's at birth. Not to mention what many others faith believe of even having a soul. Lastly, where do you get your definition of traditional marriage? Many societies over the years have had plural marriage as the norm. It can't be from the Bible since much of it talks of multiple marriages and concubines.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/28/12 - 07:14 am
Cathy and Chic fil A

I rarely eat Chic fil A because I care about my weight. I applaud their position on being closed on Sunday so the teens and others who work there can go to church or spend time with their family. Those who disagree with their position on other religious matters should simply decide not to do business there and be quiet. I do that all the time. When I go into an establishment that does not seem to appreciate my hard earned $$, I keep them in my pocket or spend my $$ elsewhere.
If I am purchasing an investment, I seek those funds that invest in entities that I agree with philosophically.

I think both mayors were premature in their positions that the business is not welcome in their cities. That should be the people's decision by how
they spend money in the business.

I give Mr. Cathy credit for telegraphing his position. I only wish I knew who these silent PAC donors are so I could make my decision to support or not support their businesses (assuming they are businesses that deliver products).

It's a shame the ACLU is too often demonized for supporting so-called "liberal" positions when, in fact, they have supported the civil liberties of many characters that most of us would not, Cathy not included, but the KKK group that wanted to adopt a GA. highway for beautification was defended on principle of them exercising their civil liberties, comes to mind.

Chris 232
Chris 232 07/28/12 - 07:22 am
Well said tech fan! Anyone

Well said tech fan! Anyone who subscribes to MF's logic is living in a biblical bubble

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/28/12 - 07:26 am
Selective outrage

Nothing makes me madder than seeing hypocrisy. These liberals, including "limousine liberals," have their panties in a wad over Mr. Cathy's company supporting traditional marriage. Funny how NOTHING is said about the billions of barrels of oil we import into this country from Arab countries with their version of tradition, including the degradation of women and gays. But I don't fear for Chick-fil-A. I was in one yesterday, and it was PACKED! Cracker Barrel went through a controversy like this several years ago. 20/20 did a story on the restaurant chain, and in the end, an outraged BARBARA WALTERS said, "Well, I think I can find another place to eat!" Now...really Babs, I don't think there's ANYBODY that can picture you eating at Cracker Barrel. Imagine her there. "Hey Joe Bob, pass me some of those biscuits there." "Yes, Ms. Walters." Hey, I went from mad to laughing. Liberals, gotta love their lack of logic!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/12 - 07:28 am
Guess we don't have to worry

Guess we don't have to worry about the Chick-fil-A Bowl moving to Chicago.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/28/12 - 07:54 am
Too crowded anyway

I support a boycott. It will cut down on the crowd and I can get my stuff quicker.

Jane18
Jane18 07/28/12 - 08:13 am
Sooooooooo tiring

Please, oh please techfan, give it a rest. You know deep down in that common sense place of your brain that you are wrong, don't you? You make me sooooooooo tired with all that negativity and ignorance(to ignore)of biblical times and happenings. You remind me of a cousin of mine that is not happy unless she is "stirring the pot"(saying or doing something just for the heck of it)!!!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/28/12 - 08:18 am
Well

I have only had Chick-Fil-A a couple of times but as I remember it was quite good. I may go out and have one today. I couldn't care less about the owner's politics as long as the food is good. Big deal he supports marriage between a man and a woman. I personally don't care who marries who but I do draw the line at having alternative lifestyles thrust into my face constantly. Ok GAY PEOPLE WE GET IT! YOU"RE GAY AND YOU"RE PROUD. Now just go about living your life instead of celebrating your alternative lifestyle every minute of ev ery day. I DON"T CARE!!!
You think you're something special but you're not.Get over thinking you're so special because you have sex with a person of the same gender.
I really wish you would go back into the closet so I don't have to hear how proud you are that you're weird.

carcraft
carcraft 07/28/12 - 08:34 am
1500 species practice

1500 species practice homosexuality. Awe, the wonders of nature! Some speciesthr males kill young they didn't father if the female is in a reproductive phase! The black widow female often kills the male! Many creatures abandon the young. I guess we really need to follow natures model. In many cultures female genitalia are mutilated, wives ate treated as property. Lets adopt some of this here multy culturaalism stuff in Ameereaca huh!

carcraft
carcraft 07/28/12 - 08:35 am
1500 species practice

carcraft
carcraft 07/28/12 - 08:40 am
The mayor of Chicago, good

The mayor of Chicago, good Obama buddy ",will welcome Calypso Louie but not CHIC Fil A .Go figure liberal logic

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/28/12 - 09:02 am
Chicago

@carcraft
And who are your friends so that we might all judge them for keeping your company? Name them, sir/madam. I'm just saying.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/28/12 - 09:08 am
lefties

can be compared to the little boy on the playground who whines and cries when things don't go his way. he starts calling other kids names, throws his natural tantrum, kicks the ball at someone, blames the person he just hit with the ball for his shortcomings and picks up the ball and goes home to parents just like him.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/28/12 - 09:17 am
There is a huge Chick fil A

There is a huge Chick fil A in the heart of the Gold Coast area of Chicago completely packed with all types of customers and employees. Has there ever been a better business model than this company? I really don't think so. Everything they do reflects love and respect for others.

Acceptance of another's decision and beliefs doesn't mean I must lay down my own.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/28/12 - 09:46 am
Of course sexuality in the

Of course sexuality in the biological world is complex but we mammals naturally reproduce by the combining of the two sexes gametes. This is natural-other sexual practices are not natural although though they occur. Like there is normal cell division which is natural and then unregulaed cell growth which is unnatural-cancer. Now we do "naturally" produce cancer cells (our immune system and Natural Killer cells take care of them=which is natural) but we don't all develop cancer. I guess it is true you could say they are all natural (because they biologically occur in nature) just not "normal" hee,hee,hee. There is heterosexuality which is normally how we reproduce and all other forms whether homo, pedo, beasti-, etc are not "normal" sexual practice we need as a species to procreate. Other animals display of homosexual behaviors isn't the same as humans-some is juvenile behaviors in other mammals like deer, etc. So just because it occurs and maybe natural doesn't mean its normal. Like mental illness maybe natural but it isn't normal, cancer is natural but not normal, and all the posters maybe natural but I don't how many of you are normal. LOL. I guess it's clear what crowd I'm in. Think of it like intellect which displays a standard or "normal" distribution and curve. Most people fall in the middle in the normal intellect but smaller percentages will fall in the above normal and below normal in intelligence. There isn't anything wrong with either extreme just neither are normal.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/28/12 - 09:32 am
If I were gay I would ask all

If I were gay I would ask all my friends to flock to Chick-fil-A. Demonstrate by example there is no threat.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 07/28/12 - 09:49 am
Every right to speak.

Mr. Cathy has every right to speak his mind about how he feels. Just as Roseanne Barr has every right to repeatedly prove what a mental midget SHE is. Just as this society is preached to by the left that we should have no problem with gays, neither should THEY (the left) have a problem with us espousing traditional values....
Point of disclosure, I have a gay relative and I love him dearly.Just as he has been honest with me about his sexuality, I've been honest with him about my dislike of pushing for "Gay Marriage". Civil partnerships? Of course. There is no reason that two people who love each other and want to commit should not be able to enjoy the rights the rest of us enjoy. But marriage? No. The word "marriage" has a meaning and the meaning can't be changed.
Just as I don't like discrimination because of someone's color, sexuality or social status, I dislike Rahm,sand Menino's attempt to discriminate against a businessman for stating his opinion. THEY are acting like the "fascist's" the left accuses US of being.....

SGT49
2078
SGT49 07/28/12 - 09:55 am
So, when are Boston and

So, when are Boston and Chicago going to stop buying gas and oil? The folks we get those products from kill homosexuals in their countries.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/28/12 - 10:04 am
My guess is that their sales

My guess is that their sales in existing stores are going to go up after this flap. If it was a public company I would buy some stock.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 07/28/12 - 10:37 am
If the Cathy family really cared about Biblical principles,

they would immediately stop selling bacon and sausage, and they would close on Saturdays instead of Sundays. Don't get me started about slaves, concubines, and making rape victims marry their assailants, and don't try to tell me none of that matters anymore, because Jesus specifically said he did not come to change "one jot or tittle" of the law.

Techfan
Techfan 07/28/12 - 10:37 am
To disagree with a negative

To disagree with a negative editorial is to be negative? I don't care what Chick-Fil-A does. . Everyone knew they closed on Sunday and had no problem with them practicing their religion. They then started using their charitable organization to get into politics. That's where this started going downhill, but very few knew about it. The blowback was still almost nonexistenet until Dan Cathy opened his yap and people started to look into where Chick-Fil-A's money went and found out their political ties and lobbying efforts. When you are giving to Phyllis Schlafly's Eagle Forum, the Family Research Council and Focus on the Family (both SPLC listed hate groups), and like minded groups, you're giving to some far right political organizations. They have become no longer just "christian" businessmen, but political players and pardon the phrase, their chickens have come home to roost. BTW: I very well remember eating Chick-Fil-A sandwiches at Atlanta Falcon games in the 1960's. Evidently Cathy had no problem with them being sold on Sundays then.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/28/12 - 11:12 am
So I guess everyone should

So I guess everyone should also ban actors too who voice their political opinions, give money, and also lobby for any progressive or conservative cause? I find some irony that progressives have complained how christians cram their ideology down folks throats and now we see progressives retaliate in kind with the cramming (you would think they would take the higher ground). I think both should celibrate the freedom they have to be and appreciate the voice each has-the same freedom protects both. Now if either side becomes fascist about it at the expense of the other-then freedom dies. I think people will rally on both sides-I see family members on both sides of this issue. Personally I don't care but I like both having the voice.

harley_52
harley_52 07/28/12 - 11:21 am
If You Didn't Care...

...what Chick-Fil-A does, why on earth would you spend so much time whining about it?

TParty
TParty 07/28/12 - 11:24 am
"As I stated on another

"As I stated on another thread here, homosexuality is against the laws of NATURE. Whether you believe God created us or we evolved from monkeys, its still against the laws of nature. Two male monkeys can NOT PROCREATE and neither can two female monkeys."

People who cannot have children get married all the time. Is that also agains the laws of nature and god?

Chick-Fil-A sends millions of it's own dollars out to support their ideals. They have that right. And customers have the right to not put their money into Chick-Fil-A.

I always find it amusing that when Christians spout off their ideals, that's just them practicing their religion and speech. But if there is any resistance to their mythology, then that means America is under attack and there is no tolerance, and Christians are the victims.

Fun double standards.

harley_52
harley_52 07/28/12 - 11:27 am
"The Word.....

"marriage" has a meaning and the meaning can't be changed."

The words "pride" and "gay" used to have a meaning too, but those meanings have sure as heck been changed.

How about "investing" in our future. What's happened to the meaning of the word "investing?"

Or how about "special?" "Sanitation Engineer?"