The Peebles choice

Race issue needlessly injected into campaign for sheriff

Elephant, meet the rest of the room. Rest of the room, meet the elephant.

When several black law enforcement officers purporting to represent the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives endorsed white Richmond County Sheriff’s candidate Capt. Scott Peebles recently, it turns out they really didn’t – and couldn’t – speak for the organization: The national organization clamped down, saying the officers don’t represent the group and, after all, as a 501(c)(3) the organization can’t endorse political candidates.

The five Waynesboro police officers, including the respected Chief Alfonzo Williams, appear to have overstepped their bounds, and have apologized. But they’re not retracting their personal support for Peebles.

Good for them. They were guilty mainly of over-enthusiasm. Surely they can be forgiven for that, particularly since they believe they’re doing the right thing.

Interestingly, Charles Lyons, a lawyer for one of Peebles’ black opponents, Richard Roundtree, is on the warpath about it all – but he claims, “This controversy is not about race.”

Really? Didn’t you just make it about race?

The fact is, it’s an endorsement of Peebles by black officers that isn’t about race. They’ve seen a candidate whose qualifications are head and shoulders above his opponents’ – and they don’t care what the heck he looks like.

Yet, some folks – particularly the race hustlers in town, who see everything through the prism of skin color – would absolutely love for this tempest in a teapot, and the entire sheriff’s campaign, to be about race.

How dare any prominent blacks endorse a white candidate!

The truth is, race may be Roundtree’s main “qualification” for sheriff. He was a bust at the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office before mercifully leaving. He was demoted after inexplicably, recklessly and unprofessionally leaving boxes of murder files, SWAT gear and a personal firearm and ammunition in a residence he’d moved out of earlier.

Then, to shore up his image, someone using the name “GratefulMother” just happened to post glowing praise for Roundtree on The Augusta Chronicle’s website. Coincidentally, “GratefulMother” happened to have access to Roundtree’s own work e-mail account – because that’s where “she” posted the comments from.

“(Roundtree’s) name, a birth date and the address of the sheriff’s office – 401 Walton Way – are linked to the account,” a Chronicle news story reported at the time.

Can you say “shameless and dishonest”?

Now Roundtree’s supporters are apoplectic over the black Waynesboro officers’ well-meaning endorsement of Peebles. Why? Again, most likely because it cuts away at Roundtree’s main qualification: his race. Chief Williams and the others had the impertinence to leave the herd and publicly endorse a white guy, and it clearly galls them.

When is Augusta going to grow up and get past such silly, backward racial contretemps?

Well, this election would be a great start.

We urge folks to see beyond Roundtree’s lawyer’s phoney-baloney indignation – and ask yourselves: Which party in this episode is acting out of the color-blind best interests of Richmond Countians?

The elephant in the room has been duly noted.

Now, let’s walk right by him.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/10/12 - 03:54 pm
Ms Knox

Some posters keep this place interesting 24/7.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/10/12 - 04:03 pm

Just call me B4...:()

This is a very important race...I really do wish all would study & watch the candidates......I hope all candidiates will try to put more info. on the AC ......all of that helps....
I will try to stay on topic for the Bossman!!

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/10/12 - 05:12 pm
Memories must be slipping.

Memories must be slipping.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/10/12 - 05:54 pm
Elephants ...

Didn't this article start out talking about elephant?

A little history lesson about elephants.

"Elephants memories help them retain essential survival information, they also allow these animals to recognize the past."

Elephants NEVER forget ... they are kind of like computers and other memory devices.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/10/12 - 09:05 pm
RM ... I haven't been on my

RM ... I haven't been on my MySpace account in YEARS! No, this will not be interesting ... nothing to see here ... move along people!

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/10/12 - 09:08 pm
Last thing I remember about

Last thing I remember about MySpace was getting a phone call from someone telling me to look at a post that said "Don't play games with _______ who know how to play them better!"

Elephants and their memories are amazing!

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/10/12 - 10:04 pm
Wow and double wow ...

RM ... it appears that people who have not posted on the AC as many years as you, I, SeenIt and others have posted (whether under their own name or a screen name) do not understand the concept of "cut and paste" being done PRIOR to them deleting comments. :)

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/10/12 - 11:27 pm
This has gotten weird.

This has gotten weird.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/10/12 - 11:27 pm
This has gotten weird.

This has gotten weird.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/12 - 07:15 am
Weird and Deceptive

Why don't people tell what they KNOW and keep their posts up? We won't pick on them. I'm not sure why SOMEONE wouldn't want to be on our side? It certainly makes sense. Hang in there. We understand.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 08:33 am
RM

You are NOT getting my story for free river...I'm selling to the Enquirer..:):) so there!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/12 - 09:22 am
SeenIt, Tell Us About Freddie

Tell us about Freddie and his cars back then.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 09:34 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/12 - 10:51 am
Karen, we should call this

Karen, we should call this the ooops thread.

The article is about the elephant in the room, but it neglects elephant memories. Some should work on their Sudoku or something to help with their recall. It would be less embarassing that way.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/11/12 - 11:45 am
Willow ... strange things

Willow ... strange things happen on the AC every day. Strange, strange things.

River ... I honestly cannot think of anything to say regarding yesterday's posts. Craziest thing I have ever seen in my life. What is that quote “Politics makes strange bedfellows.” ... yep that just about sums it up.

SeenIt ... Don't you squeal on Freddie ... I'll have to "armrassle" ya! haha

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/12 - 01:48 pm
Boy, more posts gone. Even my

Boy, more posts gone. Even my explanation why I voluntarily took mine down when I found out someone had changed her mind about using her name and had removed her posts. I wanted y'all to see what a nice guy I am.

There have been so many posts removed it's hard to keep up, but I recall one about reminding us the candidates are family men with kids. I still have it in a quote of someone on the thread. That was an interesting post....looking back at it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/12 - 09:52 pm
I wish someone would remove

I wish someone would remove my posts when I say something stupid and all the posts in reply to mine. That's a sweet deal and goodness knows I say some dumb things sometime.

But the problem is if the original post didn't violate the TOS and others replied, it doesn't seem quite right to remove their replies, also. I mean we could all on a whim decide to remove a post for any reason. If we do that should all others comments in response be removed?

Of course in this case, as I said, I voluntarily took mine down that copied the commenter's name that she had posted previously and then changed her mind. I'm a nice guy...heh.