The Peebles choice

Race issue needlessly injected into campaign for sheriff

Elephant, meet the rest of the room. Rest of the room, meet the elephant.

When several black law enforcement officers purporting to represent the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives endorsed white Richmond County Sheriff’s candidate Capt. Scott Peebles recently, it turns out they really didn’t – and couldn’t – speak for the organization: The national organization clamped down, saying the officers don’t represent the group and, after all, as a 501(c)(3) the organization can’t endorse political candidates.

The five Waynesboro police officers, including the respected Chief Alfonzo Williams, appear to have overstepped their bounds, and have apologized. But they’re not retracting their personal support for Peebles.

Good for them. They were guilty mainly of over-enthusiasm. Surely they can be forgiven for that, particularly since they believe they’re doing the right thing.

Interestingly, Charles Lyons, a lawyer for one of Peebles’ black opponents, Richard Roundtree, is on the warpath about it all – but he claims, “This controversy is not about race.”

Really? Didn’t you just make it about race?

The fact is, it’s an endorsement of Peebles by black officers that isn’t about race. They’ve seen a candidate whose qualifications are head and shoulders above his opponents’ – and they don’t care what the heck he looks like.

Yet, some folks – particularly the race hustlers in town, who see everything through the prism of skin color – would absolutely love for this tempest in a teapot, and the entire sheriff’s campaign, to be about race.

How dare any prominent blacks endorse a white candidate!

The truth is, race may be Roundtree’s main “qualification” for sheriff. He was a bust at the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office before mercifully leaving. He was demoted after inexplicably, recklessly and unprofessionally leaving boxes of murder files, SWAT gear and a personal firearm and ammunition in a residence he’d moved out of earlier.

Then, to shore up his image, someone using the name “GratefulMother” just happened to post glowing praise for Roundtree on The Augusta Chronicle’s website. Coincidentally, “GratefulMother” happened to have access to Roundtree’s own work e-mail account – because that’s where “she” posted the comments from.

“(Roundtree’s) name, a birth date and the address of the sheriff’s office – 401 Walton Way – are linked to the account,” a Chronicle news story reported at the time.

Can you say “shameless and dishonest”?

Now Roundtree’s supporters are apoplectic over the black Waynesboro officers’ well-meaning endorsement of Peebles. Why? Again, most likely because it cuts away at Roundtree’s main qualification: his race. Chief Williams and the others had the impertinence to leave the herd and publicly endorse a white guy, and it clearly galls them.

When is Augusta going to grow up and get past such silly, backward racial contretemps?

Well, this election would be a great start.

We urge folks to see beyond Roundtree’s lawyer’s phoney-baloney indignation – and ask yourselves: Which party in this episode is acting out of the color-blind best interests of Richmond Countians?

The elephant in the room has been duly noted.

Now, let’s walk right by him.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 01:07 pm
AC

Great idea for AC

Why not take away that popup car add & put YOUR ad for Sheriff on there instead...I mean why not----you have blasted him all over these pages day/day after day...It could be a flashing ad with sirens going off--whistles & lights....you know make it special.....colorful-sparkles the whole enchilada....use some flags in the background for special effects......maybe have a fire truck & police car siren going off too......
man .....GO ALL THE WAY FOR YO MAN!!

Cause we are for our man!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 01:13 pm
SeenIt, it couldn't be more

SeenIt, it couldn't be more obvious, could it? Interesting that the long time straight shooting commenters are going with Freddie. Just say what you are, tell the truth and see if the people will support you. That's Sanders' plank.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 01:13 pm
hahah

Kinda makes me want to buy an ad for Freddie on here....flashing-sparkles & etc...but he is too classy for that..:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 01:23 pm
Sean

I might want to put an ad on here like that popup car ad...could you possibly email me about the cost of that...say 1 week.......I don't know why the other candidiates aren't thinking of using this place for that.....even though some get the limelight for free ......

Pumped Up Kicks
Pumped Up Kicks 07/09/12 - 02:21 pm
RM1 said: However, in this

RM1 said:
"However, in this case when it was learned the Waynesboro men had used the national group's name and given an edorsement against the rules for nonprofit organizations, his campaign had to point out the wrongdoing. This is clear as day. The editorial is wrong as going the opposite way on a one-way street."

Did Peebles' hold a press conference about Roundtree's unpaid taxes? No. The media covered that heavily, as they did with the endorsement blip last week. So, why again did Roundtree's campaign need to hold a press conference? And the better question, why didn't you think Ivey or Godowns or Sanders or Silas should have been the one to hold a press conference about it?

Oh, and one more thing: You always talk about your issues with Peebles running as a democrat and you also have pointed out a time or two that you are fair in your comments. Newsflash: Silas is also running as a democrat.

Here's a link to an older AC article that you might find interesting: http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/government/elections/2012-03-13/4-cand...

Quoting the article:
"Both Peebles and Silas said they are working to organize their campaigns this week. Peebles will run on the Democratic ticket, but Silas said he is weighing his options.

Historically, the winner of the Democratic primary has gone on to win the general election in November, many times unopposed.

With several candidates running, however, Silas said he also is considering qualifying as a Republican, which could keep him in the race against whoever survives the primary in July. “I haven’t made a decision yet,” Silas said."

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/09/12 - 02:29 pm
I wish everyone would focus

I wish everyone would focus on the real issues and not race. There is a problem with crime and nobody seems to be talking about that.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 03:36 pm
Who Said I'm Supporting Silas?

I've said since Freddie entered the race that I was for him. Before that I supported CAPTAIN P THE OBAMA SUPPORTER if you remember. What I do now is try to keep things fair with the Democrats. Three of the four candidates currently working in law enforcement are dead set against Peebles. That should tell you something. This was another foul up and Roundtree being the front running black candidate would have been foolish not to have addressed it.

CAPTAIN P THE OBAMA SUPPORTER should get another campaign manager.

Pumped Up Kicks
Pumped Up Kicks 07/09/12 - 03:13 pm
RM1, you skirted that one. I

RM1, you skirted that one. I did not say you were supporting anyone, I asked why you routinely point out that Peebles is running as a democrat and not Silas. Especially given the article and direct quote I posted above. You did not answer that, which is fine, just worth pointing out.

I had a hard time following your sentence but I think you said that four of the candidates working in law enforcement are dead set against Peebles. I guess the same could be said for ALL of the candidates, that they are dead set against another, since they all want the same job. Duh.

My support of course is for CAPTAIN P THE BEST CANDIDATE.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/09/12 - 03:25 pm
Riverman ... what is that

Riverman ... what is that sound I hear?

Sounds like a siren on an ambulance coming after me ... Nope wrong again ... it's just an AMBULANCE CHASER trying to catch me!!! I will post the link later to my PayPal account for donations. Whatever is left over out of the account we can have a Pizza & Beer Party! :p

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/09/12 - 03:38 pm
PUK because Silas has always

PUK because Silas has always been a democrat is probably why RM doesn't bring it out in the open. Peebles voting record shows that in the primaries in 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2008 he voted Republican. So it shows one thing on the public record but then he said he was at the Obama Inauguration and he doesn't have an Obama sticker on his car because it is a county car. If he voted Republican in the 2008 primary for president are we suppose to believe that he then voted democratic in the general election?

That is why it keeps coming up on here. It is not whether someone is republican or democrat, it is trying to portray yourself to be a democrat to gain votes by a group that would NEVER vote for you if you were running republican.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 03:40 pm
Pumped Up, I corrected the

Pumped Up, I corrected the typo. I said three of the candidates are dead set against Peebles. That should tell you something.

I get on Peebles for being a Democrat because he and Roundtree are the frontrunners on the Democrat side. Roundtree, no one disputes being a Dem. Peebles is a questionable Democrat, but also plays up his support of Obama big. To me anyone supporting Obama is out to lunch. That's even bigger than him being a Democrat. The simple fact he is a big Obama supporter is enough for me.

However, I would say more about Silas being a Democrat, but I haven't heard him supporting Obama.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 03:42 pm
Karen, Hang in There

Karen, hang in there. We are with you. I wonder if it would make the news some of the things going on?

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/09/12 - 03:59 pm
River ... It is what it is.

River ... It is what it is.

Where would people be today if Rosa Parks just kept right on sitting in the back of the bus? Or if Martin Luther King, Jr. and Medger Evers stayed quiet and sat back and took inequality?

"A man (or woman) who stands for NOTHING will FALL FOR ANYTHING." ~ Malcolm X

Pumped Up Kicks
Pumped Up Kicks 07/09/12 - 04:03 pm
Got it, but

Thanks for the answer and maybe we disagree on the frontrunners. But, if Silas has always been a democrat, why would he need to "weigh his options" about what ticket he was running on?

Oh, and if you are having a beer and pizza party without me I am going to pout.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 04:21 pm
Lawsuits Everywhere

Everybody suing everybody it appears. I wonder how long before all this hits the paper.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 04:23 pm
Pumped Up said, "Thanks for

Pumped Up said, "Thanks for the answer and maybe we disagree on the frontrunners."

You don't think Roundtree and Peebles are the two front runners? Who do you think is?

specsta
specsta 07/09/12 - 05:13 pm
Young People and Crime

Roundtree has better ideas concerning the youth issue - to look for solutions apart from the "lock-em-up" mentality that is so prevalent.

Too many young, ethnic men are introduced into the system at an early age, and it is almost impossible to get out of it. Prison and jail is not a deterrent to crime; mentors and quality education and emotional support are deterrents to crime. There must be alternatives to incarceration and Roundtree seems to have a better understanding of this.

Reaching the youth is a key issue in law enforcement.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 07/09/12 - 06:20 pm
You are kidding right?

I know you are not comparing running your yap on a comment board to the sacrifices of Rosa Parks, Medgar Evers and Martin Luther King Jr.

Gage Creed
19453
Gage Creed 07/09/12 - 08:54 pm
Aww......now it's time to

Aww......now it's time to sing Kumbaya....(eyeroll)

Truthbetold74
Truthbetold74 07/09/12 - 09:13 pm
Two things I am wondering about.

Why is the past voting of a candidate such an issue? People can change their mind about things as they get older and their beliefs change. I heard a saying once that went something like, if you’re not a democrat when you’re under 30 you don’t have a heart and if you’re not a republican after your 30 you don’t have a brain.
On a serious note, how can you say the personal life of a candidate is not an issue? The leader of the largest Sheriff’s Department in the State should be somebody you can count on as a good, moral, honest, and reliable person. I think if somebody has had multiple affairs or done anything else immoral that is an issue. If he runs he’s personal life that way how can he expect his employee’s to be what he is not? I think if the candidate has done such actions and they cared at all about anybody other then themselves then they should not run for public office. Once you run for office things like this are an issue.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 07/09/12 - 09:16 pm
Must be visible to someone...

I get thumbs up and down sometimes

Truthbetold74
Truthbetold74 07/09/12 - 09:27 pm
I was away for a few days so

I was away for a few days so I may have missed it, but I haven't seen any comments on the Pebbles interview in the Metro Spirit when he trashed the people in South Augusta.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/09/12 - 09:31 pm
That was hilarious iwannakno

That was hilarious iwannakno and you are greatly missed . You may get mail from me if I have a few extra minutes tomorrow.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/09/12 - 10:13 pm
Patty-Freddy is, talking

Patty-Freddy is, talking about crime that is.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/10/12 - 09:12 am
Various Subjects

Counter suits are the mother of all lawsuits.

It appears CAPTAIN P THE OBAMA SUPPORTER, has at least one supporter who doesn't think Roundtree is a front runner in the race. I assume he thinks Silas is the other frontrunner? Interesting and could be true.

CAPTAIN P THE OBAMA SUPPORTER trashing South Augusta shows his frustration with them because they are backing Silas.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/10/12 - 09:42 am
Your wit has not gone

Your wit has not gone unnoticed, River:)

Pumped Up Kicks
Pumped Up Kicks 07/10/12 - 10:00 am
Assumptions

Let me make it more clear: I think the 3 strongest candidates are Peebles, Roundtree, and Silas....in that order. But I'm just one person and that's just my opinion. We will all find out soon.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/10/12 - 10:57 am
Booked only through Hotwire.

Booked only through Hotwire. com.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/10/12 - 02:06 pm
Truthbehold said, "On a

Truthbehold said, "On a serious note, how can you say the personal life of a candidate is not an issue? The leader of the largest Sheriff’s Department in the State should be somebody you can count on as a good, moral, honest, and reliable person. I think if somebody has had multiple affairs or done anything else immoral that is an issue."

Heh, heh, heh....Well, Augusta, we have a problem..... this election.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/10/12 - 02:34 pm
RM said...

Hey, Christene. I treat female posters diffently. It's good to know you are a woman.

and sometimes Ole River forgets how to spell around female posters....
oh boy----howinteresting this will get..:)