Shameful shouting

Reporter's outburst at Obama announcement was flat-out wrong

Webb Simpson’s moment in the sun after his U.S. Open victory Sunday was interrupted by a bizarre man in a goofy hat stepping in front of the camera and cawing like a bird.

Conservatives don’t look much better when they rudely interrupt President Obama during a White House speech.

That’s exactly what a “reporter” for the conservative Daily Caller website did Friday, shouting questions to Mr. Obama from the press pool while the president was delivering his announcement that he’ll cease deportations of young illegals who were brought here as children.

We’ve purposely waited to comment on this unfortunate episode, to see what other conservative outlets and commentators would say. And we’re not buying what they’re selling.

The main defense of the culprit, Neil Munro, is that Sam Donaldson used to “heckle” President Reagan. Or that reporters once shouted questions to him while he was trying to turn the microphone over to another administration official.

Nonsense. Certainly Donaldson is famous for shouting at President Reagan – but usually when the Gipper was jumping in or out of a noisy helicopter. In the example of the press conference shouting, Reagan had clearly concluded his remarks.

Mr. Obama had not. Munro’s claim that he thought the president had finished speaking is as goofy as the Birdman.

“Reporters can/do/should shout questions AFTER a statement or presser — that’s cool. Interrupting is anarchy & rude,” one Republican strategist wrote on Twitter.

He’s right.

Conservatives should know better. They’ve been the most frequent victims of hecklers and others trying to silence their speech. And they claim to be in favor of civility.

Shouting questions in the middle of a staid and pretty formal presidential announcement at the White House is a line that should not have been crossed.

Shame on the man who did it, and those who blindly defend him.

owensjef3
owensjef3 06/21/12 - 01:30 am
I agree

I agree

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/12 - 06:19 am
Hecklers on BOTH sides are a

Hecklers on BOTH sides are a pain..

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 06/21/12 - 06:27 am
perhaps if obumler explained

perhaps if obumler explained why one year he could not do it and now he can and how does it help the unemployment for legal citizens...i will buy the rudenesss.. now.... NO ONE has the right to act out of the boundaries defined by our constitution..king hussein has to explain and if he is silent then he has to be challenged...thats the job of the press in a free society...or should be!!!!!!!!

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/21/12 - 06:59 am
Where are those who claim

Where are those who claim that the ACES never criticizes conservatives when they behave poorly?

carcraft
carcraft 06/21/12 - 07:59 am
Well when is Obama going to

Well when is Obama going to explain exactly why Obama thinks he can exempt about 1 million people from a law? I think 1/2 the population should not be forced to pay income tax when 1/2 the population doesn't so I am ordering the IRS not to inforce the income tax laws, Gee do you think that would work?

owensjef3
owensjef3 06/21/12 - 08:14 am
Some folke just can't help

Some folke just can't help themselves, stick to the subject.

curly123053
curly123053 06/21/12 - 08:16 am
Wrong

I do not approve of President Obama's conduct as president and I do not approve of the conduct of that reporter in the news conference either. There is a time and place to question the president on policies, but that did not appear to be one of them.

David Parker
David Parker 06/21/12 - 08:48 am
all i'll point out is what's

all i'll point out is what's the net gain of calling out that reporter for being disrespectful to the man's face, then going on here and calling our President cutesy disrespectful names behind his back, ala emporer, King Hussein, BSCMIEHNS:GDHDU (or whatever that acronym is), Obumler, Korean (no offense to them), etc. I'm a humanist so whether it's Obama or Bush or Romney up there, I'm going to look for the good.

It's just a little hokey to speak with a forked-tongue the way some do here.

iLove
iLove 06/21/12 - 08:51 am
The Office

Even you dont care for the man, atleast respect the Office of the President. I wouldn't even interrupt a teacher in the classroom, let alone THE PRESIDENT. Morals--->out the door.

As far as the editorial:
HAHAHA! David Parker said it best.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/21/12 - 09:02 am
Liberals are so funny.

You guys loved it when a shoe was thrown at Bush and you took every chance on this board to disrespect him whenever possible. Some even calling him a war criminal. Don't give me the high and mighty "respect the office" speech now. I'm not buying it.

marien
marien 06/21/12 - 09:05 am
Again in the words of the

Again in the words of the late Rodney King can we all just get along.

Bruno
Bruno 06/21/12 - 09:39 am
I agree that Mr. Munro's

I agree that Mr. Munro's actions were wrong. I would also add that Sam Donaldson's statement that "Let's face it: Many on the political right believe this president ought not to be there - they oppose him not for his policies and political view but for who he is, an African American." is also wrong.

I personally believe that the press should only show up to events in which there will be a question and answer period. Otherwise they are simply being used as a commercial outlet for whoever is speaking.

justthefacts
20419
justthefacts 06/21/12 - 09:43 am
Thanks David

Good for you....

burninater
burninater 06/21/12 - 09:50 am
perhaps if obumler explained

perhaps if obumler explained why one year he could not do it and now he can
-------
Let's play Guess Who The Liar Is.

Hannity tape on Fox:

President Obama: "There's been a great disservice done to the cause of getting the Dream Act passed, and getting comprehensive immigration passed, by perpetrating the notion that by myself, I can go and do these things. It's just not true."

Actual full text of statement:

President Obama: "There's been a great disservice done to the cause of getting the Dream Act passed, and getting comprehensive immigration passed, by perpetrating the notion that by myself, I can go and do these things. It's just not true. Now what we can do is prioritize enforcement, since there's limited enforcement resources, and say, 'We're not going to go chasing after this young man or anybody else who has been acting responsibly and would otherwise qualify for legal status of the Dream act passed.'"

The response to the statement "perhaps if Obumler explained ..." is that he DID explain it, and then did exactly what he explained he could do.

Then somebody in the media lied to your face about what Obama said.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 06/21/12 - 11:05 am
The reporter who

The reporter who 'interrupted' Obama later explained his behavior. He understood that he was finished speaking and then asked his question.
Somehow that little detail has been obscured or conveniently ignored for the benefit of the editorial writers.

So, how will the change in immigration status affect employment? No one is interested in that question.

justthefacts
20419
justthefacts 06/21/12 - 10:28 am
Burn?

So you're Ok with the President, any President by the way, openly declaring, that there are laws they have no intention of enforcing?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 06/21/12 - 10:34 am
the dream act did not

the dream act did not pass..the prez

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/21/12 - 10:36 am
I do not disagree with

I do not disagree with changing the policy for the children of illegal aliens who have grown up here, graduated from school, speak the language, etc. I vehemently disgree with the way Obama did it and his motivation. It is temporary. Strictly vote buying. Can be done away with with the stroke of a pen by the next guy. Solves nothing permanently. And I do not beilieve the president has the authority to tell law enforcement to ignore the law. The only way to do this is by a law, passed by Congress. It needs to be a permanent solution, part of a comprehensive immigration package that seals the border, stops illegal immigration, and gives some type of status to long term illegals that have integrated into our society productively. Emphasis on "productively". Too bad that many of our citizens can't take a lesson from them.

burninater
burninater 06/21/12 - 10:38 am
The reporter who

The reporter who 'interrupted' Obama later explained his behavior. He understand that he was finished speaking and then asked his question.
Some how that little detail has been obscured or conveniently ignored for the benefit of the editorial writers.
-------
You obviously haven't watched the tape. He continued interrupting even after the President directly stated, repeatedly, that he was not finished speaking. The detail that the reporter thought he was finished hasn't been obscured or ignored, because it is blatantly false.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 06/21/12 - 11:10 am
OK, I missed hearing or

OK, I missed hearing or seeing the tape. So, how will the change in immigration policy affect unemployment and the American worker?

Newsflash
Newsflash 06/21/12 - 11:18 am
decorum

decorum ......very few reporters , politicians or preachers possess this trait anymore , it is defined as .....dignified propriety of behavior, speech, dress, etc.

burninater
burninater 06/21/12 - 11:24 am
So, how will the change in

-------------
Well, considering that we're talking about 0.3% of the population, I really can't see how this will have much of any effect on unemployment.

If anything, it is a benefit to our bottom line, as it is these young workers whose payroll taxes will be financing the pyramid schemes of SSI and Medicare. We aren't as bad off as Europe, China, or Japan in terms of a pending retirement bubble with a much smaller force of younger workers financing their retirement benefits, but it is still a concern.

Additionally, these are educated, English-speaking young people that understand the culture and are beginning entry-level jobs -- it would be a bit blind to send such a valuable economic resource off because their parents didn't have legal status.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/21/12 - 11:50 am
Let me pose a hypothetical.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/21/12 - 11:51 am
The reporter shouldn't have

The reporter shouldn't have interruped. However, the President shouldn't have usurped the constitution either....who is more wrong?

justthefacts
20419
justthefacts 06/21/12 - 12:00 pm
Slippery Slope

Maybe the next conservative President can say, I can't change the laws regarding, lets say abortion. But, since there's limited enforcement resources, I am not going to enforce them. Oh boy, you know what would hit the fan.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/21/12 - 12:07 pm
"I can't change the law

"I can't change the law regarding the affordable care act, but since there's limited resources, I'm not going to enforce it."

justthefacts
20419
justthefacts 06/21/12 - 12:14 pm
Regulations

"I can change all these darn inhibitors the feds have put on businesses, but since there's limited enforcement resources, I'm not going to enforce them"
Hey, this is starting to sound pretty good. If your man is in the WH of course.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/21/12 - 12:23 pm
WRONG IS WRONG

Even though I think he's the most incompetent excuse for a president, Obama should not have been interrupted during his news conference. However, again, this is no where close to the disrespect Bush put up with during his terms. I remember at a rally in Atlanta, a group of young AA men, each holding up a sign that said, (Expletive) BUSH! Liberals never acknowledge such things done by their own. But, before you say it, I know...two wrongs don't make a right.

carcraft
carcraft 06/21/12 - 01:16 pm
Burninator- How do you know

Burninator- How do you know they are educated? Like most young people they will be starting at entry level jobs and higher tier jobs are hard for our own citizens to find. About 33% of young adults are underemployed at this time! Oh lets put a million more young people seeking those jobs, makes sense to me!

kmb413
kmb413 06/21/12 - 01:31 pm
Southern Leslie wrote:

"Let me pose a hypothetical. If I break into your house, and bring my children with me, and I start living there, would it be cruel to force my children to leave, since they were brought there against their will?"

I would think if they were living somewhere against their will, they would want to go home.

Commission rejects tax jump

Seven commissioners nixed a proposed tax increase Monday that would cost a typical homeowner $70 a year, leaving the countywide millage unset with just a few days to meet state deadlines.