Patriotism offensive?

What's offensive is succumbing to political correctness for no good reason

There may have been some legitimate reasons for a New York principal to yank Lee Greenwood’s God Bless the U.S.A. song from a kindergarten “graduation” ceremony set for June 20.

But “offending other cultures” – one of the reasons stated – is certainly not one of them.

PS 90 Principal Greta Hawkins said the song, which has become an informal anthem for die-hard patriots, was not age-appropriate for kindergarteners. You could buy that. In one lyric, the song talks about starting over with one’s wife, “If tomorrow all the things were gone/I’d worked for all my life.”

Still, Hawkins initially allowed to remain in the program a Justin Bieber song that is clearly age-inappropriate from a sexual or romantic standpoint. Why the difference? She has since been shamed into eliminating the Bieber song, too. But the delay betrays her hypocrisy on the “age inappropriate” explanation.

One gets the feeling the principal’s real beef is with the song’s patriotism. She is said to have worried it might “offend other cultures.”

Really? It’s offensive now to profess pride and patriotism? And near 9-11’s Ground Zero, no less? Outrageous.

What about offending Americans – by removing a patriotic song? Is ours the one and only culture she’s not afraid of offending?

But once on the program, you’d better have a good reason to take it off.

Offending other cultures? That’s no reason. It’s a wholly despicable surrender to runaway political correctness. It’s un-American.

And it’s a horrible lesson for pliable young minds.

KSL
KSL 06/12/12 - 11:36 pm
Absolutely!

Absolutely!

specsta
specsta 06/13/12 - 02:31 am
A Better Anthem

Brown's anthem drives home the sense of wonderment and gratefulness of being in America; it is a celebration of the sights, sounds and cities across this country.

Greenwood's anthem delves into more of the elements of blind patriotism.

I think that Brown's anthem wouldn't have caused a problem in that school.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 06/13/12 - 02:37 am
Educators have a duty to screen bad teaching

"God Bless the USA" fails both grammatically and factually. It was not "the men who died" who "gave that right" to you and me. Human rights are considered to be natural and universal. Our veterans (at least up through WWII) helped to secure those rights, but said rights were not theirs to give.

It's also very bad songwriting in subjective musical terms, to those of us with anything resembling taste. The fact that many people like it does not make it a better song, and there is no obligation for any otherwise proud American citizen to even like the thing.

Techfan
Techfan 06/13/12 - 03:34 am
Kids will start listening to

Kids will start listening to bad music soon enough. We don't need to force it on them at such an early age.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/13/12 - 07:21 am
P C Pukes

I've lived in many nations. Not ONE ever worried about offending other cultures other than their own. This principal must not be as proud as Michelle Obama of being an American. And JON, respectfully, our "rights" like freedom are not rights at all...they are privileges introduced by our forefathers, passed by our legislators, and given to us by the men and women who've shed their blood in service to our nation. If you believe that rights are not given to us, I got a long list of nations you can visit.

southernguy08
southernguy08 06/13/12 - 07:23 am
TECH...REALLY?

You consider God Bless The USA bad music? That speaks volumes to your attitude as an American. But then, seeing your posts, I'm not surprised. Try having a good day in this terrible country, pal.

copperhead
copperhead 06/13/12 - 07:36 am
Folks that HATE America

Folks that HATE America should get out!

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 08:10 am
What boggles my mind is that

What boggles my mind is that they said the song was not "age appropriate" but Jusin Beiber's "baby" WAS.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/13/12 - 08:55 am
What's new

Liberal Talk Show host Bill Press says he is embarrassed everytime the National Anthem is played. I suspect that's pretty common among libs.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 09:00 am
What on earth is there to be

What on earth is there to be embarrassed about. Does he explain that?

avidreader
avidreader 06/13/12 - 09:26 am
A Simple Idea

How about "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"? Will this offend anyone? Life is but a dream.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 09:29 am
It may offend narcoleptics.

It may offend narcoleptics.

TParty
TParty 06/13/12 - 09:52 am
JTF: Neal Boortz, prominent

JTF: Neal Boortz, prominent right wing guy who I listen too every day believes the National Anthem doesn't apply to American or American's anymore because few are brave among other things; thus we need new a new National Anthem.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 10:17 am
Or perhaps people should be

Or perhaps people should be more like those the National Anthem was written for.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/13/12 - 10:30 am
"James Brown's "Living In

"James Brown's "Living In America" is a far more inclusive patriotic anthem than "God Bless The USA"."

Maybe, maybe not; but that isn't the point of the editorial is it?

This was ACES's point: "We don’t know about the song’s original inclusion in the program, just because its lyrics may be a bit involved and over the kids’ heads. For that matter, we don’t know about having a kindergarten graduation to begin with.
But once on the program, you’d better have a good reason to take it off."

burninater
burninater 06/13/12 - 10:30 am
I don't get the offending

I don't get the offending other cultures part either, but having 5 and 6 year olds sing that they couldn't be free unless people died? That's just sick.

Shea_Addams
Shea_Addams 06/13/12 - 10:34 am
Yeah....it's sick for

Yeah....it's sick for children to know that people gave their life to secure their freedom. We must shield them from all truth.

KSL
KSL 06/13/12 - 11:11 am
No it is not. People did die

No it is not. People did die so they could be free. They know it. What is sick is saying that the song is harmful to anyone.

burninater
burninater 06/13/12 - 11:17 am
KSL, I think we'll have to

KSL, I think we'll have to disagree on kindergarten being the appropriate age to discuss human warfare. To each their own.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/13/12 - 11:32 am
Never thought "The Star

Never thought "The Star Spangled Banner" was much of a national anthem, really. It describes the 1812 battle over Fort McHenry in Baltimore Harbor -- not so much about America as a whole. Actually, the last verse of the anthem -- yes, we only sing the first verse -- would be a lot better as an anthem. I much prefer it.

The tune for TSSB is derived from an old bar song, something like "Anacrion in Heaven". It's difficult to sing, anyway.

"American the Beautiful" would probably be a better candidate for the anthem.

It's pretty much true that man can't really bestow freedom and rights. We can only take them away from others. According to the Declaration, the Creator has provided the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Man has spent years working to limit or take away those rights from individuals.

I love the song "God Bless the USA", and believe it has sort of become an unofficial national anthem or patriotic song. And, it is true that without the deaths of many we would not enjoy the rights we have today. Those sacrifices need to be understood and honored, even by young children. I have no problem with instructing them on the debt we owe to those who died so we could be free to debate topics like this.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/13/12 - 01:03 pm
Living in America

Here are some of the lyrics:

Living in America - hit me
Living in America - yeah,
I walk in and out
Living in America

I live in America - state lines,
gonna make the prime, that
I live in America - hey,
I know what it means, I

Living in America - Eddie Murphy, eat your heart out
Living in America - hit me, I said now, eye to eye,
station to station
Living in America - so nice, with your bare self
Living in America - I feel good!

In my opinion, this song doesn't say a heck of a lot. Inclusive? What does it include? Can't see it as even vaguely being a national anthem. There's hardly any complete sentences here. Besides, no one could sing it like James Brown anyway.

KSL
KSL 06/13/12 - 11:23 am
Copperhead, I just don't

Copperhead, I just don't get this thing about people being allowed to come to America for a better life and then also be allowed to demand changes that take us away from what America has been. Or for that matter, so-called Americans who demand they be allowed to.

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/13/12 - 12:48 pm
Whats really American is

Whats really American is questioning other Americans' opinions. "If you don't like it, leave it." Well, last time there was a consensus to do that, there was a Civil War.

But anyway, here we are arguing about some ridiculous action by a nobody thousands of miles away.

Meanwhile, TSPLOST, TEE intrigue, new school buildings, no money to staff them.

I wonder if GHSU/ASU will have "free speech zone" like so many other colleges.

whyme
1998
whyme 06/13/12 - 12:48 pm
reason for ban?

I had heard this but wanted to see for myself:
The principal, a Jehovah’s Witness, does not recite the pledge because her religion forbids followers to salute any nation’s flag. Staffers gripe she doesn’t stand in respect during the school-wide ritual.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/school_silences_patriotic_so...

I have relatives who are of this denomination and have found them polite in their decline of patriotic activities. It is unfortunate that this particular individual has taken things to a new level

specsta
specsta 06/13/12 - 01:03 pm
@howcanweknow - you might

@howcanweknow - you might want to get a better reference for song lyrics, because what you posted is mostly inaccurate...especially with your edited cut-and-paste approach...

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/13/12 - 01:05 pm
I'll check to make sure I

I'll check to make sure I pasted the correct version. But, I did no editing at all. Just took it directly from a googled website for "lyrics living in America". If the site had the wrong lyrics, I apologize.

But again, I did no editing. These words were right off the website.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/13/12 - 01:08 pm
lyrics

Well Specsta, I checked 3 other lyrics sites, and they all pretty much had the same thing. One didn't have the Eddie Murphy reference, but that was the only variance.

Not sure what you are suggesting. I posted the last 2-3 stanzas of the song, and this appears to be what the song actually says.

If you have another version, please feel free to post and let us see what you have.

Again, I did not edit. Just pasted directly from lyric websites.

burninater
burninater 06/13/12 - 01:15 pm
In regards to whyme's 12:48

In regards to whyme's 12:48 ---

It is exceptionally interesting that the ACES makes no mention that her objections were possibly religiously-based, particularly since the interface of religion and politics is such a hot topic hereabouts. Perhaps they were unaware.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/13/12 - 01:16 pm
Should have just done the

Should have just done the "Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm, Barack Obama" song.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/13/12 - 01:18 pm
Haven't heard that song sung

Haven't heard that song sung much over the past year or so, have we?

May have been a one hit (uh, one term) wonder.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.