A tarnished halo

Media push deification of Obama to an absurd new level

They did it as much for themselves as for the president. It’s a great way to get attention, after all. And weekly news magazines desperately need attention these days.

But really. A halo?

Even by today’s lack of standards, Newsweek’s cover depicting Barack Obama with a rainbow-colored halo as the “first gay president” is an astonishing low in the annals of American journalism, and an alarming reminder of just how far the media will go to glorify and advance this man.

These news magazines have long had a nagging habit of trying to get so far out in front of the parade that they look hopelessly lost. But this – mimicking the 1990s referral to Bill Clinton as the “first black president” – will be hard to beat for its sheer fatuousness and naked adulation.

In a vacuum, it might be
written off as a mere publicity stunt masquerading as some sort of journalism. But Newsweek is not alone among the supposed “news” media in its attempt to influence this election.

The Washington Post recently ran a lengthy front-page story about an alleged bullying – a forced haircut – of a reportedly gay student by presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney nearly 50 years ago in prep school.

So they’re drawing quite a contrast for this election: a halo vs. horns.

A relative of the alleged bullying victim, who has since died, told NBC that the Post’s portrayal was “factually incorrect.” But assuming even accurately retold 50-year-old youthful incidents are relevant in a 2012 election that will decide the fate of the country, commentator Judy Miller asks, rightly, “Where are the comparable pieces about Barack Obama’s missing background?”

The media are completely ignoring huge gaps in our knowledge of Barack Obama’s past, as Miller notes. In just a couple examples, she says, “Where is the law school period in New York? Where are the string of girlfriends that he now doesn’t want to talk about?”

Fact is, Obama recently had to admit that a “New York girlfriend” he wrote about in his memoir was actually not a real person, but a “composite.” So his autobiography contains a little fiction. No problem.

Can you imagine the media forgiving Romney for making stuff up about his past? Or for admitted non-isolated illegal drug use? Can you imagine the media showing no interest in large gaps in our knowledge of Mr. Romney?

Can you imagine the media deifying a Republican who, like Obama, has come out in favor of gay marriage but won’t lift a finger to further it? If he thinks gay marriage is the right thing, even a civil right, why won’t he fight for it? Thank goodness the Civil Rights leaders showed more commitment!

How do the media canonize someone this way? What has happened to this nation’s free press?

Well, other than the need for these magazines to shock – a Time cover just showed a full-blown preschooler breastfeeding – in this particular case there are two self-enabling phenomena at work: First, the insidious, documented, undeniable liberal bias in the legacy media. Second, the cult of personality that has been erected around Barack Obama like Greek columns.

That cultish devotion to the man, first seen in JFK and replayed for Mr. Clinton, and so suggestive of a dictator’s fawning following, is a pretty poor barometer for elections in a free republic. Rather than lick his boots, we instead might want to examine the man’s policies and leadership and how they are impacting America – and how they might continue to do so.

First, of course, check the halo at the door.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 05/15/12 - 01:24 pm
Faithful changed to

Faithful changed to Faithson, sorry iPhone.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 05/15/12 - 01:28 pm
Excellent point, Bruno. Not

Excellent point, Bruno. Not much wiggling room there, doubt you'll receive much response.

specsta
specsta 05/15/12 - 03:23 pm
The Chronicle's feigned

The Chronicle's feigned offense at the Newsweek magazine cover is "much ado about nothing". Where was the anger when The New Yorker Magazine depicted our President and First Lady as Muslim/Militant radical flag burners? I guess that was okay with the Chronicle editors since it depicted every right-wing negative stereotype embraced by the conservatives concerning our President.

President Obama did a good thing, even an awesome thing. He helped to break down one more wall of inequality and injustice - and the Right hates him for it.

I think that the only time conservatives will be happy is when the rich pay no taxes, the poor and homeless disappear, corporations have no regulations, the military can afford gold-encased bullets, healthcare is "don't get sick", labor protections are "be glad you got a job", and every zygote is declared a US citizen.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 05/15/12 - 04:07 pm
Specsta, that's all so

Specsta, that's all so dysfunctual.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 05/15/12 - 04:16 pm
"Firsts"

So Obama is the first "gay" president.And also the first woman president.The first Jewish president. The first Hispanic president. The first Irish president.......and so on and so on...That means he's a president for the collective. NOT the individual.....This is PRECISELY why he must be defeated in November....America is not a country of "groups"....we are a country of individuals. Striving to help ourselves AND the country....

Bruno
Bruno 05/15/12 - 04:49 pm
Specsta, that was a satirical

Specsta, that was a satirical cover caricaturizing the right-wing stereotypes about then Senator Obama and it did cause an uproar.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/15/12 - 05:23 pm
When Bush was Prez the AC

When Bush was Prez the AC posters beat him up pretty bad -not that some wasn't warrented, but now we have Obama (Bush lite in many ways) adopting many of the same strategies (like even more of the Patriot Act) and all we get is silence. Such hypocrisy reveals the ideologue mind. Pitiful.

Jake
Jake 05/15/12 - 06:47 pm
Don't know about that

I have been reading the online edition of the AC for at least 8 years and the majority of the posters sure were not "beating up" on Bush. Quite the contrary. The negative editorials or letters to the editor concerning Bush were about as scant as any that are pro-Obama.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/15/12 - 07:44 pm
Jake I've posting that long

Jake I've posting that long too (under two different monikers) but I remember the posters would rag on him and Cheney. Like I say, some was warranted. I ragged on him too. Lots of anti-Iraq war posts don't ya remember. But I'm sure if we looked back we would find the same for Clinton, Nixon, Reagan, Carter, Ford ya name em.

Spec as long as we have a progressive tax code there will never be equality under the law. I have family members who are gay, gay friends, I support gay unions and equal legal rights,but I would be a bold face liar if I didn't say I find homosexuality personally foreign, disgusting, and a perversion (likely homosexuals find heterosexuality foreign and disgusting too). I don't have mindblindess related to their beliefs but I do find the acts disgusting-basically because I'm full bloodied heterosexual. I was molested as a young boy by a older teen so perhaps that may have something to do with my disgust (he wasn't a pedophile just a homosexual teen (I guess really preteen is more accurate) and he grew up to be a homosexual man-learned he died homeless of AIDS and his siblings disowned him-which is sad). .
But I feel the same about brussel sprouts-God bless America you can still have freedom of speech to mention things you find distasteful. I dont' want to ban brussel sprouts. What I fear is that, despite my appreciation of civil rights, that people will say I'm a hater or guilty of a hate crime. I also think that abortions are disgusting and immoral but I've always supported the right of physicians to perform abortions. Different domains. What makes America great is that people can have different views and we don't have to agree with it but appreciate their beliefs and rights as American citizens. I use to find Christians disgusting but (ironically) I became one very late in life.I guess I'm evolving. hee,hee,hee.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/15/12 - 08:39 pm
Obama doesn't believe in

Obama doesn't believe in equality if he did he wouldn't have assassinated an American citizen without due process nor kill "supposed" terrorist with drones-possibly losing vital intel too. He believes in getting re-elected and will placate any group vying for their vote. Likely he would pull an Arlie and change parties too if he thought he would get re-elected. Typical politician-not the change he promised. If he was what he promised I'd be the first in line to vote for him because I am disgusted with politicians of either party. I am surprised the international community is not perturbed for taking no prisoners of war and worst than torture-killing them on the spot. So much for the Geneva Convention eh.

Jake
Jake 05/15/12 - 08:30 pm
Bizzaro?

Could it be?

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/15/12 - 08:32 pm
But all this really about

But all this really about nothing, because Obama just stated his opinion basically to get money and support from Hollywood and lefties. This inequality will persist because the Dems aren't going to touch this with a twenty foot pole-(the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act of Clinton). Has Clinton come out against his act??? I know the Rep would resist but likely a majority of Dems too in both houses. Interesting how even the Europeans see thru Obama and are disappointed in him. Watch Obama evolve back to civil unions if this becomes a hindrance. Obama will feign it's just my opinion not anything i plan to act on. It is weird he is so popular (the Cool Culture President) but the majority dislike Obamacare, the stimulus, his foreign policy, etc. A real paradox.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/15/12 - 08:36 pm
Bizarro for El Presidente!!!!

Bizarro for El Presidente!!!! Were you in his cabinet??? hee,hee,hee.Must just be a bizarre coincidence.

Bruno
Bruno 05/15/12 - 09:49 pm
RA, rational human beings

RA, rational human beings choose to do things that carry a stigma all of the time. That isn't a great argument.
I do think that people should have the right to marry whomever they like but I don't see this as a civil rights issue and I think that in attempting to frame it as such polarizes the issue even further.
I also agree with Bizkit that this was simply pandering on Obama's part and an attempt to move the focus away from the poor state this country is in to something that will do nothing to improve the average person's life.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/15/12 - 10:26 pm
Christians choose their

Christians choose their religion and are also stigmatized daily on the AC forums and by posters. If the issue was framed as a civil right and about gays having their loved ones handle health issues, etc. it wouldn't be such an issue but you are right it is a religious issue and unconstitutional as it and related to church and state where they are pushing gay marriage-not civil unions or civil rights. You need to think those arguments through. And stop stigamtizing christian-you religophobe. hee,hee,hee. Really poor arguments given it isn't about civil rights but about wanting to force religious acceptance-otherwise civil unions and right would be enough. They want to be accepted and trump what they consider as religious zealot. Once again with the illusory superiority and now a lack of rational logic. You can't make the arguments for civil rights and complain about stigmatization and then usurp the civil rights and stigmatize christians-you look foolish. Christians have the civil right to their beliefs -even about homosexuality. All the laws prohibiting homosexual activity are all gone no one is prohibiting their activity just people don't accept a sexual preference is meritous for a civil right-the civil right comes in that any two individuals should be able have a civil union and have the right to have their loved ones involved in their affairs. Even Obama shifted from it being about unions and right to gay marriage. You can tell that Obama has no respect for religious freedoms. Why not let the homosexuals have their unions and rights and let christians have their marriage and rights. That's fair and equal. Even homosexuals are divided on whether it is biological but really everything in human behavior is ultimately biologial and genetic (there is just no strong evidence to support it yet), nor are homosexuals united on the gay marriage issue either. Even religion is likely biological and likely genetic because it is a meme and a replicator. They all evolved.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/15/12 - 10:36 pm
Comon Bizkit. You must be

Comon Bizkit. You must be tired tonite. That was flip-floppy at best and you should know it. I always hope for better from you.

But let's go ahead and entertain your first arguement about Christians being stigmatized. When's the last time you heard of a Christian here in America dragged out to the country, hung up from on a barb wired fence, beaten and left to die because of the way God made him?

You further state that Christians are stigmatized for their choice to be a Christian. Nope not true, least not by me. I don't mind pokin' fun at the hypocrites of Christianity(Prosperity Jesus types)but never will you hear me tell another what he must believe on his spiritual path. All I ask in return is that you leave my search for Spiritual wellness out of your political agenda.

As a practicing heterosexual white male of a certain age, I have evolved through personal experience and contact to believe all should have the same freedom and benefit of the law. If that can be achieved through civil unions(which I doubt)then good, but if not why should another human being be denied his/her civil rights because of anothers religious beliefs?

Isn't that God's business and won't the hateful sects of Christians get their "revenge' on their idea of Judgement Day? Have they so little faith that they must have a civil government do their bidding? I do have the feeling that hell(if there is indeed such a thing)would be having to spend eternity with them as I'm sure many of them think the same of me.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/16/12 - 06:13 am
I apologize Retired ticked at

I apologize Retired ticked at the wife not you-your just by whippin' post. We agree on freedom so we are brother at heart. I agree too Christians tend to beat up on homosexuality and abortion as though this is the worst in Dante's hell-I too find that hypocritical-sin is sin.It is God's businees to judge-not the average christian-but is surely doesn't stop it.
Sorry if I was bustin your kahunnas.