Weapon of mass distraction

In gay marriage flip-flop, Obama again opts for political expediency

Chalk up another huge election-year distraction – but this time, one with lasting and uncertain implications.

Instead of debating our government’s unsustainable spending, and the danger of crashing the currency and falling into Europe’s black hole of roiling debt, or discussing how to create a new economy that leads to job growth, we’re talking about gay marriage.

However awkwardly the Obama administration got into the gay marriage arena – through Vice President Joe Biden’s getting embarrassingly out in front of his equivocating president – it’s still a useful distraction from his mournful record on the economy, energy, jobs and more.

The focus should be on reducing the deficit, growing jobs and making our nation safe. Period. But here we go again down the Boulevard of Tangents.

The president also is being disingenuous, at best, when he claims that his years-long “evolution” in thinking on gay marriage just happened to end right in-between Biden’s remarks and a star-studded fundraiser in Hollywood – and all in time to shore up his liberal base for the election.

And when he wants you to believe it’s a states’ rights issue – well, that’s the biggest joke since the last White House Correspondents Dinner. When has he ever been in favor of states’ rights? The cold, hard truth is, we’ve rarely seen a president with a dimmer view of states’ rights: His administration is currently suing several states over their immigration enforcement laws and their voter ID laws, and his National Labor Relations Board tried to prevent South Carolina from bringing in a Boeing plant. Oh, and his health-care act ignited a full-blown rebellion of more than half the states.

In addition, Mr. Obama
famously decided not to enforce the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which grants states express authority not to recognize gay marriages from other states.

Nor is it as if Mr. Obama has only changed his mind since opposing gay marriage in the 2008 election cycle. Frankly, he has merely said whatever was politically expedient at the time. In 1996 when running for the Illinois Senate, he told a Chicago newspaper, “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.”

That’s not in the least bit equivocal.

Then, in 1998, he was “undecided.”

Then, in 2004, he said, “I am a fierce supporter of domestic-partnership and civil-union laws. I am not a supporter of gay marriage ...”

Then, facing a nationwide electorate in 2008, he flat-out opposed gay marriage.

Somehow or another, his view “evolved” from favoring gay marriage to being undecided to being mostly against it to opposing it and then, suddenly on Wednesday, to supporting it again.

That’s not just a flip-flop or two. That’s a Slinky slinking down a stairway.

Ask yourself this: What happens when push comes to shove and someone is trying to force a church or individual opposed to gay marriage to perform, host or recognize one? Do you trust that this administration, if given a second and final term, wouldn’t go to court – as it has with a number of sovereign states – to force someone to participate in a ceremony or recognize an institution he or she finds morally objectionable?

And what happens when someone goes to court to challenge one of the 30 state prohibitions against gay marriage?
It seems clear he won’t hesitate to go to battle against such states.

Though Mr. Obama’s personal views seem to change with the prevailing winds, his administration’s record is clear: Political correctness wins out over religious freedom every time. Just look at the contraception issue, in which the administration has tried to force birth control and even abortion pills on religious entities that oppose them.

Moreover, the president’s hastily thrown-together pronouncement this week is tinkering with an institution – marriage – that has been a cornerstone of human societies for all of recorded history. How can one possibly know all the repercussions? A decline in traditional marriage, for instance, already has directly led to increases in poverty and other social ills.

But heck, as long as there may be votes in it – and it diverts attention away from the state of the Union.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/11/12 - 11:26 am
Perspective

Jane, really the country was in decline long before President Obama or GWB for that matter. And when he is relected, it will continue, no doubt. But, you can't lay all the blame on him. Society as a whole is to blame. Consider BHO an enabler. One of many.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 05/11/12 - 11:42 am
Disagreeing with ICL

ICL, Obama is not focused on appeasing the world, he is focused on being the World.... He is his own God. He says just enough truth to fool many into believing he is godly, he is just, and that he cares about others. His trickery and deceit is as ancient as time.

Many of you have posted political excellence on this article, and I could not agree more with you I.e. Scott Hudson, carcraft, dichotomy, and et al, but ICL takes the most important voice in this matter, by saying our God matters and using Him to cover up evil is by far the worst part of his agenda.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 05/11/12 - 11:46 am
Welcome back harley52. You

Welcome back harley52. You have been greatly missed.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/11/12 - 11:59 am
Thanks Willow, but it appears

Thanks Willow, but it appears that your subject is a bit misleading. Is it that you disagree or agree with my comment?

harley_52
harley_52 05/11/12 - 12:23 pm
Thank you, Willow. I have

Thank you, Willow. I have missed you too.

ekharonne
ekharonne 05/11/12 - 12:28 pm
I can't wait to read the

I can't wait to read the Chronicle's editorials after PRESIDENT Obama wins re-election. Also the posts from nofanofobama and copperhead.
one posts sophomoric sarcasism, the other posts hate. Check out this post from one a while back. "truth matters...everyone i know has no doubt that i do not respect obama one iota...he does not respect our constitution..our seperation of powers...he lies ....hes an ego-maniac and he blames everyone else for the mess we are in.and he is selling us out to our enimies..YES I RESPECT OUR COUNTRY AND THE OFFICE..that doesnt mean the fake we have in office gets my respect...and i do teach my children to respect AND I DO TEACH THEM TO WORK HARD AND NOT TO LIE but when an individual in such a postition of power ABUSES that power there will be no respect period..and i have had 5 or 6 letters published in the paper expressing my displeasure of the prez..truth does matter." Have you ever read a more seething post? He or she was mad as h__l. I wonder where all of this is really coming from.

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 12:39 pm
Has anyone besides me noticed

Has anyone besides me noticed that when it comes to the President, no matter the topic, there are a handful of posters who write the same thing day after day? You could go back on just about every LTE or editorial and find virtually the same comments over and over. Are they so obsessed over the few issues, or that they don’t have the ability to formulate a new thought for a new topic? Foreign policy, same posts. Domestic issues, same posts. A speech, same posts. Even if Obama said the sky was blue, there’d be the same posts. I can’t decide if it’s funny or sad.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 05/11/12 - 12:56 pm
I was having a little fun

I was having a little fun with the subject line ICL, I completely agree that God matters over all. His Word is final. The part I didn't agree with, not that it is important at all is the CIC's motivation which you said was to appease and I opined was to rule over God and all others. You were more generous to him than I was.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/11/12 - 01:03 pm
Haters

Tech: I've said it before but for those that didn't hear it, our President could declare that he was in favour of little kids getting to hold warm cuddly puppies and this same small group would accuse him of everything from pandering to father raping(Thanks to Arlo Guthrie and the Group W Bench for that one)

Gets "Romneycare" for all Americans and now he's a Socialist Marxist liar.

Ya think it could have something to do with the melatonin count?

Duck, here come the fervent and spittle sputtering denials.

thriller n manila
thriller n manila 05/11/12 - 12:58 pm
They Did It Again,GOP Senators Strangle Student Loan Bill

Despite Majority Support. A bill that would keep student loan rates from doubling on July 1st died in the Senate on Tuesday afternoon after Senate Republicans successfully closed off debate and prevented the passage of a law that 52 members of the Senate were on the record supporting. The vote come on a day when President Barack Obama issued a " to- do list" for Congress, but Senate Republicans ignored his concern and continued their record- setting pattern of OBSTRUCTION, taking advantage of Senate rules that prevent voting on a bill unless the Democratic majority is able to reach 60 votes. As it stands now, 7.4 million students use the Stafford Subsidized Loan program to borrowing an average of more than $4,200 a year. If Congress can't reach a solution, their interest rates will double from 3.4 percent to 6.8 percent. We're frustrated and angry/ as you are/ about the way things are going in Washington. Republicans have failed to accomplish anything and are intent on OBSTRUCTING everything. It's time to stand up and let our voice be heard,in the next election. It's time to send the Tea Party home.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/11/12 - 01:02 pm
thriller n manila, when your

thriller n manila, when your largest political cash cows are banks and financial instutions what would you expect?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 05/11/12 - 01:04 pm
The most important decision

The most important decision of All Time is not gay marriage. It is not adultery, fornication, stealing, lying, taxes, economy, military, border patrol, birth control, or murder. it is and always will be...First, who is our God? King David modelled that lesson for us exceedingly well.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/11/12 - 01:17 pm
It's been the same the last

It's been the same the last 12 years but it was just Bush bashing then-Cheney is the anti-christ or Bush is, the culture of corruption, impeach!!, war crimes, etc.etc.etc. The Student loan bill would apparently cost me an extra $4,200 dollars or something because over 250k. I still have two kids in college of my own I don't need your burden too. Took my wife and I a good 15 years to pay off our loans. Likely this year we will fall behind 200K so then it will only be $400, but still I got my own problems. They all want to pass the bill the difference is in how to pay for it-Dems want to tax those over 250K Reps something else. I've lost my hiney the last 5 years and everybody is taking a hit in this economy. So likely I'm not a 1% no mo'-ya happy after decades of humpin' it goin to college, raising kids, working like a dog. But a beat dog still barks. I played the game fair and square and was succeeding finally reaching the American Dream, but no the govt just can't keep its grubby hands off of it so the can waste it and give themselves a raise.

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 01:16 pm
ekharonne, You're close.

ekharonne, You're close. Virtually all of the editorials and comments from the AC or the posters about Obama come from a position of hate. With the AC, even if it’s something they agree with, there often is a “but”. I was always taught that when you add “but”, you’ve contradicted what you’ve said before. A good example is the old, “I’m not a racist, but…..”. They often use questionable sources, and at times throw in things that look like they came from chain emails and have been disproven. For many of the posters, their comments just come from straight out hate. Be it racism, or just that they look down on anyone who has a differing opinion; I’m not sure what their problem is. They’ll never agree with anything he’s done, and like my previous post said, repeat the same items over and over no matter what the topic. They’re basically using evasion and diversion. We may be talking about “A” but they’re always going to talk about “B” or “C”. They make it virtually impossible to have an intelligent debate about an issue since they always fall back on the same tried and “true” topics.

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 01:21 pm
Good one RA. I have an

Good one RA. I have an autographed copy of "Alice's". Vinyl of course.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/11/12 - 01:24 pm
Tech you find the same on

Tech you find the same on Wikipedia. Try the Race and Intelligence article for instance-a disturbing view of humanity. On Wikipedia it really doesn't matter how much peer-review info you present to support an argument (and how you can demonstrate with impunity a clear picture) you have to concede to this consensus of editors who watch or maintain an article-frustrates the heck out of me but if you persist-like took me 4 years to get them to add epigenetics to the Evolution article-you can slowly win folks over. But good look on that one on the AC

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 01:26 pm
I fail to see how “losing my

I fail to see how “losing my hiney” and complaining about an AGI over $200k-$250 can go in the same comment.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/11/12 - 01:30 pm
They use to have an Alice's

They use to have an Alice's Restaurant in Athens back in the 70's. It had set tables upside down on the roof. Pretty cool.

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 01:33 pm
When they start quoting WND

When they start quoting WND or Brent Bozell and the MRC, you know they’re pulling a fast one.

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 01:33 pm
Ate there many a time.

Ate there many a time.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/11/12 - 01:33 pm
LOL, sounds like the pot

LOL, sounds like the pot calling the kettle. (2:16pm)

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 01:37 pm
I try to stay on topic,

I try to stay on topic, unlike some. I also try to research something before I post. I do try to avoid the, “Because the Bible says so” rebuttals. You might not like what I say, but I do try to be accurate.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 05/11/12 - 01:41 pm
Accuracy is debatable,

Accuracy is debatable, respectful is relatively obvious.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/11/12 - 01:42 pm
I've said the same about you

I've said the same about you dude. Ya a righteous dude. Fair and informed. I am not as serious and like to have fun and stir the pot. I gave up smokin it so I took up stirring it.hee,hee,ee. Yeah sometimes bizarre, sometimes silly, but just one of my perversions-LOL>

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/11/12 - 01:45 pm
Weird if we knew each other

Weird if we knew each other back in the day. It is a small world after all. I remember a lot of great concerts during that period. I get that tingly feelin like Chris Mathews, hee,hee.

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 01:49 pm
A good example would be G W

A good example would be G W Bush. I didn't hate the man. I think he's a pretty nice guy, if not the brightest bulb in the box. I do think he allowed Cheney and the neocons in his administration to make too many of the policy decisions. I agreed with his decision to go into Afghanistan, although I think he should have used the force he used in Iraq. We might have been done with it years ago. I totally disagreed with Iraq and lowering taxes when we were starting two wars. I also disagreed with the Patriot Act, etc., and can’t stand that Obama continued a lot of those policies. With too many posters on here it’s on a personal level. They HATE the man. I’ve never felt that way. Heck, I even thought Reagan was a nice guy.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/11/12 - 01:51 pm
Ahh...the important word here

Ahh...the important word here is "try", meaning an attempt to....it does not always mean success. Research does not always result in accurrate information so validity of results can be questioned.

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 01:57 pm
I didn't go to UGA (perish

I didn't go to UGA (perish the thought), but did have a lot of friends that did so visited a lot. Athens was a cool town, and still is. Saw Arlo at the Old Post Office. Miss that place. Not many choices for what I call good music around here. In clubs that is, there are some decent concerts. Not a big Elton fan but have seen Dylan and went to see Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi. Looking forward to the Blind Willie McTell Festival. I'm a big blues fan (James Cotton, Delbert McClinton, and Guy Davis! Death or near death will be my only excuses.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/11/12 - 01:59 pm
That's funny. I have pretty

That's funny. I have pretty much the same opinion of Bush -a really nice guy but not too bright. I think Cheney was planning Iraq long before the election. I think they should have concentrated on Afghanistan-Pakistan border rather than trying to fight two fronts. I think regime change in Iraq was a noble goal just really really bad timing after 9/11. I don't understand Obama's penchant for the Patriot Act after so much Dem ranting against it.

Techfan
Techfan 05/11/12 - 02:00 pm
It beats the heck out of not

It beats the heck out of not trying and posting what you know is bull. All too many on here are experts on that (as is the AC editorial staff).