Robbing youth

Posing as a mentor to act as a predator is beneath contempt

There are always multiple layers of depravity whenever an adult despoils the scenic beauty of childhood.

In this case, there are extra layers of hideousness.

Travis McCauley, 33, was sentenced to 30 years in prison Tuesday for molesting a 15-year-old male music student in his care. And it’s not nearly enough time.

Not only did this trusted friend violate that trust and the sanctity that, even today, should remain intact at age 15, but McCauley’s crime was worse than that. You see, he did it all – at least four trysts, including at the circus – knowing that he was HIV positive.

“You could have given that child a death sentence,” Superior Court Judge Sheryl Jolly told him.

McCauley is listed in a MySpace site as a co-founder of something called the CSRA All-Star Marching Band. He used that position as an instrument with which to pillage the innocence of youth. Vile doesn’t quite describe one who would take a minor to the circus in order to rob him of his youth.

That McCauley was HIV positive makes the desecration all the more atrocious.

He should be grateful that this state doesn’t consider his crime an assault with a deadly weapon or attempted murder.

That would apparently make too much sense.

HighSociety
HighSociety 05/05/12 - 12:16 am
Sick individuals like this

Sick individuals like this should be given the death penalty. It should at least be an option for the jury to consider.

Jane18
Jane18 05/05/12 - 05:26 am
I agree HighSociety, for So

I agree HighSociety, for So many reasons.....................

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/05/12 - 08:58 am
The dude is sick, but

The dude is sick, but pedophilia is believed to be biological-just like homosexuality. There doesn't seem to be a cure-what to do? The fact is too that over 50% of african-americans between 15-19 (and there is a disparity from 1980 to the present with most STD in african-american community) have contracted a STD. You have two societal problems-pedophilia and prosmiscuity in our african-american youth. This is just one of many health disparaties in the african-american community.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/05/12 - 08:59 am
Bizkit, I agree on the

Bizkit, I agree on the promiscuity, but I have to differ on the pedophilia.

First of all, desiring sex with sexually mature but underage subjects is not pedophilia, it is called something else that I can't remember right now. Pedophilia is generally defined as "having a sexual orientation towards prepubescent children", and one doesn't have to actually follow through with that desire to be a pedophile, they just have to think it and have the desire.

Child molesters can be defined as anyone having sex with a person 5 or more years their junior and under the age of consent, or so the literature says.

Now, back to the subject at hand; I don't have stats (I tried but couldn't find any- that is where I got some of the above info), but the overwhelming majority of news stories about pedophiles and molesters usually involve white males. Based on that anecdotal observation I would say it is a white problem.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/05/12 - 09:25 am
I know what your sayin, but

I know what your sayin, but the law makes you a sexual predator and doesn't distinguish whether an individual was 19 and 14 or 50 and 5. I don't know about race and pedophilia, but I wasn't inferring anything about african-americans and pedophilia. I have an interest in health disparaties in african-americans (I want to help) , and the issue of STDs is one that is more readily addressed than stroke or prostate cancer, etc.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/05/12 - 11:04 am
More than half of Black

More than half of Black youths have an STD? What a frightening statistic.

How's that free love, no-strings-attached, one-night stand, forget marriage, do what feels natural, promiscuity working out for ya' now?

faithson
faithson 05/05/12 - 11:24 am
justice should be swift and

justice should be swift and certain. a committee of professionals should be empowered to hear cases of child molestation. I had a young man once I advocated for while working for CASA. lt was my my suggestion that he be 'neutered' as his sexual compulsions were beyond his control. Everyone in the courtroom gasped at the suggestion. I promise you, if this young man (in custody for sexually abusing a child) is allowed out into the population one day, he WILL reoffend unless his hormones are neutralized.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/05/12 - 04:16 pm
I really don't think that

I really don't think that sexual compulsions are totally out of control. They can be fierce, but can be controlled. People control these compulsions every day.

Far too many folks use the defense of addictions -- even a supposed sex addiction gets a lot of press these days. I think that sometimes these "addictions" could be greatly reduced -- maybe even overcome -- if the person truly wanted to do so and dedicated themselves to doing so. Too often we tend to blame our actions or lack of self-control on some psychological disturbance, when, truth is, we enjoy indulging our compulsions and don't really want to stop.

socks99
socks99 05/05/12 - 05:29 pm
No doubt today's editorial is

No doubt today's editorial is well-informed. Of course, spawning a course of self-immolation or lynch mob violence is unlikely to advance the interest of youth. What might advance this interest is better management of the human personnel who are charged with assisting developing adults.

faithson
faithson 05/05/12 - 04:59 pm
hcwn; believe me, this young

hcwn; believe me, this young man had NO CONTROL... and his ability to develop any was limited by his psychological dysfunction.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 05/06/12 - 08:18 am
I can't believe there are

I can't believe there are several people writing here that have no clue about the evidence surrounding what they think they are talking and have so confused the statistics. 50% of black teens (age 15-19) have an STD. Think about that Bizkit....does it REALLY make rational sense to you? Then, go back to your source and read it again.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/05/12 - 08:38 pm
No matter what percent black

No matter what percent black african american young people represent or what percentage white american young people represent....all of it is too much.

From 2004-2007, 72 percent of HIV/AIDS diagnoses in young people aged 13-24 were in males, and 28 percent were in females. The majority of HIV/AIDS cases diagnosed among young men were attributed to male-to-male sexual contact.

In 2007, African Americans/blacks and Latinos/ Hispanics accounted for 87 percent of all new HIV infections among 13- to 19-year-olds and 79 percent of HIV infections among 20- to 24-year- olds in the United States even though, together, they represent only about 32 percent of people these ages