Still doubt the need for voter ID?

When a poll worker mistakes you for the attorney general, it's time for a change

One of the best things the Obama administration has going for it, besides a lapdog media, is a news cycle that changes subjects like a teenager with a remote control.

Can you say “Fast and Furious”?

Consider the scandalous exposé released just last week regarding voter identification.

Don’t remember it? Too much else coming at you in the news? That’s just how the administration likes it.

Well, just so the tale and its moral don’t get lost in the stampede toward the next big story, we’ll take note of it here.

It seems an enterprising young muckraker – the same one who revealed and brought down corrupt left-wing organization ACORN – secretly filmed someone walking into a polling place during a recent primary and being offered Eric Holder’s
ballot. No identification necessary.

That’s Eric Holder. The attorney general of the United States of America.

Making the episode more comical is the fact that the undercover crusader, working with investigative videographer James O’Keefe, is young and white; Holder is black and in his 60s. It’s unlikely the two will ever be mistaken for each other, at least outside of a U.S. polling place.

Making the incident even more outrageous is the fact that Holder has previously said that laws requiring photo IDs in order to vote aren’t necessary. He’s even used the U.S. Department of Justice to block voter ID laws in South Carolina and Texas.

And, as commentator John Fund notes, “Holder’s opposition to ID laws comes in spite of the Supreme Court’s 6–3 decision in 2008, authored by liberal Justice John Paul Stevens, that upheld the constitutionality of Indiana’s tough ID requirement.”

Adds Fund: “When groups sue to block photo-ID laws in court, they can’t seem to produce real-world examples of people who have actually been denied the right to vote.”

In direct contrast, however, we now have real-world video proof that not even the nation’s top lawyer’s ballot is secure.

It won’t sway Holder. Nothing moves a committed ideologue, and certainly not facts or evidence.

But Holder has one other problem as well. The poll worker at his precinct has no idea who our attorney general is!

On the way outside to supposedly get his photo ID – even though the poll worker didn’t want it – the undercover correspondent says, “I’ll be back faster than you can say ‘furious.’”

Nope. The man didn’t catch that, either.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/16/12 - 05:14 am
Can't we just do away with

Can't we just do away with these silly notions that voters need ID? This is America and EVERYONE should be allowed to vote if they want. If Mexicans are living here, they should be allowed to vote for those who pass laws to help them. They will become citizens one day soon enough when amnesty legislation makes them all automactic citizens.

We are all living in one world today, afterall. The Chinese have lots more people than we have and, therefore, their people should be allowed to vote here, too. Issues such as global warming affect all of mankind, thus the people of other countries voting here is only fair.

Wink to the Russians...once Obama is reelected, tell Putin we'll allow those Russians he wants to vote in our elections to do so.

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/16/12 - 05:19 am
If you are doing nothing

If you are doing nothing wrong then pulling out an ID to vote shouldn't faze you. I know it doesn't when I go to vote. No different than cashing a check, driving a car, and using my credit card it is a safe guard to make sure I am who I say I am. I think the only ones who find issue with this would be ones that are breaking the law and we all know that is the only reason it is a problem for them.

carcraft
carcraft 04/16/12 - 05:34 am
I have had no trouble voting-

I have had no trouble voting- If you know some one who lacks proper ID to vote you have 7 months to get them proper ID!!

Techfan
Techfan 04/16/12 - 05:44 am
James O'Keefe? When did they

James O'Keefe? When did they let him out of his parents basement? It's pretty sad when the best the AC can offer is from convicted fraudster and attempted rapist O'Keefe.

Rhetor
Rhetor 04/16/12 - 06:36 am
Poll taxes, grandfather

Poll taxes, grandfather clauses, literacy tests, voter ID laws. All of them sounded reasonable at the time. Why can't people pay a small fee to vote? Why can't the local officials verify literacy of voters? All in a line of conservative tricks to keep legitimate minority persons from voting. PS: the "lapdog media" (more name-calling, ACES? Can't the ACES write like grown-ups? If not, can't you at least find a different rude name for them? Lapdog is getting old) reported the incident thoroughly:

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/16/12 - 06:42 am
It's pretty sad when the best

It's pretty sad when the best the US can offer is from the Chicago political machine and a racist attorney general.

copperhead
copperhead 04/16/12 - 07:06 am
Rhetor,do you think the 11 to

Rhetor,do you think the 11 to 30 million illegal immigrants are a minority? And do they have the right to vote? SHOULD they have the right to vote?

Techfan
Techfan 04/16/12 - 07:20 am
Where are these 11 to 30

Where are these 11 to 30 million illegals registering to vote?

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/16/12 - 07:42 am
It's a sad day when we have

It's a sad day when we have plain as day video evidence, yet people still bury their heads in the sand and deny the obvious.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/16/12 - 07:48 am
didnot know this was a

didnot know this was a problem...when i vote i am always asked for my ID . when i buy beer i am asked for ID. even though im 57 and greyish/white beard. never felt put out. i live in hamilton crossing..quess we all out here black asian and white[ my neighbors] are being discrimnated against that vote in our precent. get real ...quit whining ...ID is no hardship...you need it basically in every aspect of your life.. and to be honest some sort of test should be considered for voting/ or saying having skin in the game as a taxpayer. too many voters just get..while the rest pay...

Techfan
Techfan 04/16/12 - 07:49 am
Are you even remotely

Are you even remotely familiar with O'Keefe's previous "plain as day video evidence"? He's nothing more than a kid punk propagandist who edits footage to suit his needs.

TParty
TParty 04/16/12 - 07:53 am
If the state and federal

If the state and federal government are willing to hand out ID cards free of charge- the sure. But since they cost money- it can and will be considered a poll tax for people to purchase an approved ID to vote.

The Twenty-fourth Amendment was put in place to stop the south from putting in measures to prevent African-Americans from voting.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/16/12 - 07:55 am
The Georgia Voter ID cards

The Georgia Voter ID cards are issued at no cost to the recipient. The taxpayers pay for the ID card. I'm pretty sure the South Carolina law has the same provision.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 04/16/12 - 08:06 am
One of MR's more feeble

One of MR's more feeble efforts to convince readers that white is black and black is white. The assertion that someone walking into a precinct voting place and being offered someone else's ballot proves the necessity of voter ID is absurd. When the "real" Eric Holder (or whoever) turns up to vote and is told he has already used his ballot, that would be news. If this were happening frequently in states with no voter ID laws, there would be data to cite. But uncomfortably for MR and other proponents of voter ID laws, no such data exists! The point is that the only time such "fraud" is likely to occur is when it is staged by right wingers, as it was here. On the other side, MR asserts there is no data showing individuals showing up and being denied their vote. Well, duh!, individuals in no ID states are not going to be asked for proof they cannot produce, and in ID states, individuals who do not have required ID are not going to show up to be denied! MR, not all your readers agree with what you write simply because you write it....

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/16/12 - 08:13 am
"He's nothing more than a kid

"He's nothing more than a kid punk propagandist who edits footage to suit his needs." Sounds like all the rest of the news outlets doesn't it. :)

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/16/12 - 08:30 am
Techfan, the editing was so

Techfan, the editing was so good that even Eric Holder isn't denying the accuracy of the tape.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/16/12 - 08:34 am
SOP for liberals. Don't like

SOP for liberals. Don't like the message?; destroy the messenger.

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 04/16/12 - 08:48 am
Last time I voted I used my

Last time I voted I used my drivers license for I.D. Cost me around $100.00 for that thing. By TPartys logic that's one heck of a poll tax!

Bruno
Bruno 04/16/12 - 08:54 am
Techfan, O’Keefe pleaded

Techfan, O’Keefe pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor of entering a federal building under false pretenses not "fraud". The rape charge is also false in that he was facing harassment charges that were dismissed. Now, do you have anything to say about the actual events or will you simply attack the messenger with false information?

The voter ID = poll tax is false. It sounds good but once you unpack it you realize that it is without merit.

TParty
TParty 04/16/12 - 09:05 am
It's not false Bruno- it's a

It's not false Bruno- it's a tax if you have to pay to vote. Little Lamb is right when Georgia will give you a free voter ID card- so this state is good.

faithson
faithson 04/16/12 - 09:34 am
200 + years of voting and NOW

200 + years of voting and NOW we need voter ID... Yea, right ! All of those who are being hoodwinked by the republican corporatacracy need to reflect on just WHY this is an issue NOW. I just have a problem with all the lockstep positions the right espouse. This issue is especially pertinent because there is NO, scientifically NO significant reason for a voter ID law. This illusion is a creation of those in power who understand the 'simple mindedness' of their followers, that is all it is. an ILLUSION perpetrated in the name of 'fairness', only to actually be an impediment to voters in the majority party. Wolf in sheep's clothing comes to mind.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/16/12 - 09:46 am
funny how the party of

funny how the party of cheats, dead votes, voter fraud and sending black panthers to discourage voters wink and yawn over voting abuse..if you cant win with the message....kill the messager , cheat ,steal and blame the other guy..

happychimer
happychimer 04/16/12 - 09:49 am
I remember having to show my

I remember having to show my voter registration card to vote. I put my name and address on a paper, and my signature was compared to what they had on file. Now the law in GA is I have to show a government issued ID, and I have no problem with that.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/16/12 - 10:00 am
"and I have no problem with

"and I have no problem with that."

I don't either Happy. What befuddles me is what some people are so afraid of with having to provide positive ID. It shouldn't be a problem unless someone wants to cheat, and has no impediment whatsoever to someone voting if the state provides them with an ID for free. Heck, voter "promoters" go around on election day giving free rides to those who they believe will vote "their way", so why can't they also have drives to ensure those same people have an ID? We are talking about a very small minority of eligible voters who don't have a state issued ID, so why all of the fuss? That fuss just smells fishy to me. It should be a piece of cake to get ID's in the hands of the few who need them.

carcraft
carcraft 04/16/12 - 10:05 am
Democrats think it is OK to

Democrats think it is OK to tax us to pay for other peoples food, other peoples health insurance, other peoples housing, whats wrong with taxing people to vote? Tax me four times what the poor are taxed so three other people can vote, that is the Democrats way!

carcraft
carcraft 04/16/12 - 10:07 am
Now all Social Security

Now all Social Security checks have to be deposited into a bank account..Can't open a bank account with out ID..how are those poor folks with no ID going to get their SS checks?

allhans
allhans 04/16/12 - 10:11 am
The ones who are protesting

The ones who are protesting the use of voter I.D. have the most to lose. Why shouldn't they object?
Most of us like it...so we rule..they drool.

happychimer
happychimer 04/16/12 - 10:11 am
There are rare cases where a

There are rare cases where a person can't get an ID. I read about a woman in SC who was born at home without a nurse or dr, and her mother did not get a birth certificate. The woman can't get one, and can't get a drivers license, and can't register to vote. She learned this when she got old enough to drive. I don't know what can be done in a case like that one.

Rhetor
Rhetor 04/16/12 - 10:14 am
OK, I'll be less flippant.

OK, I'll be less flippant. There are reasonable arguments for voter ID laws, just as there were, in the past, for poll taxes and literacy tests. The problem is when these laws are manipulated, often in very clever and subtle ways, to discourage minority voting. Keep in mind that many poor people were born at home, do not have birth certificates (and never did), don't have driver's licenses, and don't have easy transportation to government offices that are open only during limited hours. It's no problem for me to produce an ID, but it is a serious issue for some other people. Some of these same states (Florida is the worst) have also put unreasonable restrictions on voter registration drives. It all is made to sound so noble, but there is no nobility behind the motives, which are to manipulate the political system to one group's advantage. Also, O'Keefe didn't actually vote. When they asked him to sign as Eric Holder, the danger of criminal prosecution for voter fraud discouraged him and he fled. He didn't actually get a ballot. Thus, the system worked in this case. It's true that several safeguards failed, but the last one held, and he didn't get a ballot. As far as aliens: neither legal or illegal aliens can vote, and as a rule illegal aliens are trying to avoid getting noticed. Legal aliens have no wish to get deported. Voter registration lists are carefully scrutinized with reference to other government records to catch people who move, die, etc. Sorry, words and actions just don't line up in this case. Have a great day.

happychimer
happychimer 04/16/12 - 10:15 am
I remember my parents having

I remember my parents having to take a short reading test before they voted. I don't know if they had to pay a poll tax or not. those laws were outlawed, and for good reason.