Tebow strikes another pose

It's called the epitome of character, and it stands apart these days

“This is the city that once embraced Broadway Joe. Tebow would fit better in – well, if Branson, Mo., had an NFL team, that would be a perfect fit.”

– New York writer George R.R. Martin

So the media have stirred up another controversy, and called the subject of the controversy controversial.

This time, they’re wringing their hands about whether former Denver Broncos quarterback and newest New York Jets player Tim Tebow’s conspicuous Christianity is a good thing in the Big Apple.

As if New Yorkers never go to church.

We love his answer, when asked essentially if he’s relishing his new NYC megaphone or whether he needs to walk on secular eggshells in the New York market or in the locker room:

“Well, I think first and foremost it doesn’t matter what market I was in; I don’t think that necessarily played a big part in (coming to New York). I just want to be myself. When I’m asked about it, I won’t be ashamed of saying that I serve my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. In the locker room, it’s not something that I’m super outspoken about. It’s just that’s who I am and that’s how I live. I don’t try to share it with a lot of guys. I don’t try to approach a lot of guys with it, because I think the greatest way to share the gospel is by acting it and by them seeing who you are as a person.

“That’s how I approach it. It’s not by what I say; it’s more about how I act and who I am as a person. I think it is the greatest way you can have an impact on people’s lives is your integrity, character and how you go about handling yourself.”

This kind of character used to be admired in America. Now it’s “controversial.”

That says a lot more about the country than the man.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 03/28/12 - 04:43 am
Amen............

Amen............

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/28/12 - 04:54 am
Tim Tebow enters Sodom and

Tim Tebow enters Sodom and Gomorrha.

Techfan
Techfan 03/28/12 - 06:59 am
Let us know when he can

Let us know when he can complete more than 50% of his passes.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 03/28/12 - 08:08 am
This will be interesting.

This will be interesting. He's likely to face opposition from the media (see above), some fans, and even some teammates. For example, Plaxico Burress responded to Tebow joining the Jets by tweeting "Just shoot me!" (which, by the way, is really ironic if you know the self-inflicted problems Plaxico has had with guns in the past -- the guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed).

From a Christian perspective, God has placed Tim on the world's biggest stage. It's going to be a challenge. Because of his principles, many will be hoping for Tim to fall -- and are all too eager to report that. It's far easier to bring someone else down to your level than to raise yourself up to a higher standard. So, if anyone even sniffs of Tim doing something "unchristian", it will be all over the news. But, if he maintains his standards and truly lives his faith, what a wonderful testimony that will be.

I wish him the best, and pray for his success in "Sodom and Gomorrah".

deadline
deadline 03/28/12 - 08:56 am
"I don’t try to share it with

"I don’t try to share it with a lot of guys. I don’t try to approach a lot of guys with it, because I think the greatest way to share the gospel is by acting it and by them seeing who you are as a person."

Spoken like a true believer.

meginlea
meginlea 03/28/12 - 09:14 am
The Jets want to win games.

The Jets want to win games. They'll complete his passes. I think. ... Actually I have no idea....

Honestly, there has been a lot of comparisons going on up here in NYC between Jeremy Lin (just signed onto the Knicks) and Tebow. People are saying that Jeremy Lin is much more cordial and amicable with his faith but that Tebow (despite what he says in this article) is a more 'in your face' type of guy. Of course I don't know if there is truth to that about Tebow. That's just what the 'rumors' going around are... Maybe that's good. Maybe the rumors will paint him as such an annoying and in-your-face-i-want-to-convert-you-christian that when people actually meet him, they'll be pleasantly surprised and like him a lot. Hopefully it all goes down well. I know the Jets could use a pick-me-up, and I know New York kids adore their sportsmen and could use another good guy to admire. I'm sick of seeing my junior high community center kids worshiping A-Rod and Carmelo Anthony. Yuck.

Techfan
Techfan 03/28/12 - 09:19 am
I think a lot of the wishing

I think a lot of the wishing he will fail hinges more on him being a former Gator.

allhans
allhans 03/28/12 - 10:47 am
Techfan..Are you serious?

Techfan..Are you serious? What did he do that was so bad as a Gator? The first sophomore to ever win the Heisman Trophy, 2 National Championships...So you dislike success..AmaZ-ING!
(My daughter lives in Orlando and they all adore him.)

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/28/12 - 11:40 am
It is weird all the ta-do

It is weird all the ta-do about racial profiling in the Zimmerman-Martin incident yet no problem with discrimination against a fellow because of his faith. I wonder if he was Muslim and he knelt towards Mecca would it be politically correct to generate such controversy. I doubt it.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 03/28/12 - 12:10 pm
Biz, don't you know that it's

Biz, don't you know that it's part of popular culture to criticize and put down anything Christian, while any other idea or philosophy is beyond reproach?

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 03/28/12 - 01:07 pm
@Techfan Why 50%? 48% was

@Techfan

Why 50%? 48% was enough to beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 03/28/12 - 02:02 pm
@cdr4500, doesn't seem like

@cdr4500, doesn't seem like it's the Christians that keep bringing it up.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/28/12 - 02:05 pm
Why does his faith bother

Why does his faith bother people so much? As far as I know, he doesn't go around proselytizing.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/28/12 - 02:37 pm
allhans, Techfan is actually

allhans, Techfan is actually right about the Gator part. I am a huge Gator fan and an even bigger Tebow Fan, but if you keep up with college football at all, you'd know thats just one of the most hated teams there is. Mainly because of their success. =)

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/28/12 - 02:41 pm
^5 Philo!! Haha

^5 Philo!! Haha

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/28/12 - 02:54 pm
allhans, just BEING a Gator

allhans, just BEING a Gator is enough... ;)

scgator
scgator 03/28/12 - 06:47 pm
The BEST thing Tebow can do

The BEST thing Tebow can do is exactly what he has been doing all along.....just be Tebow, the human being, the athlete, and the Christian; we are at a point in our history, where anybody standing for anything just "chaps" the world.The majority of these people just cannot stand that someone can be successful and be a Christian at the same time. Many people tried trashing Bill Gates (not trying to implicate his christianity or his lack of it here), but people who are by choice.......LOSERS, never have good things to say about those who perservere; where would we be without the computer advances that his ideas brought to us? it proves to them that they too can accomplish something, if they quit whining and crying and do something constructive with their lives. I went to high school with Tom Petty, and you would not believe the number of people who tried to discourage him when he was starting out with a "garage band". These were also the same people who did nothing with their lives.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 03/28/12 - 08:26 pm
(5)”And when you pray, do not

(5)”And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. (6)But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (7)And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. (8)Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. – Matthew 6.5-8 NASB

NrthAugustaSam
NrthAugustaSam 03/28/12 - 08:27 pm
Why is it that we know so

Why is it that we know so much about his faith? He advertises it! Is he the first Christian in the NFL? You would think so.....

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/28/12 - 10:41 pm
ForeverFrog, it would make

ForeverFrog, it would make more sense if you did some research on the context of Matthew 6:5-8 scripture, whom Jesus was speaking to and why he stated this.