No peace, no justice

Before we hang someone, let the facts come out in Trayvon case

We’ve seen plenty of lynch mobs and rushes to judgment over the years. But rarely has there been such conditioned national distress as we’ve seen with the Trayvon Martin case.

Reactionaries – some of whom make a very nice living out of reacting – have tried to compare the black teen’s death in a gated Florida community to the civil rights fight in Selma.

That’s just beyond dopey, and is a gross insult to the pioneers of the Civil Rights movement. For one thing, whatever young Trayvon Martin was, he was not a freedom marcher. Fact is, troubling reports of antisocial views and compromising positions are surfacing that put into serious question the Boy Scout image his supporters have put forth.

Secondly, whether his killing was justifiable or not, he wasn’t killed by a government or a society or a race.

If Neighborhood Watch volunteer George Zimmerman was overzealous and is found to be at fault in the case, he will, and should, face the consequences. But the scene in Florida resembles nothing less than a lynch mob, which African-Americans might be the first to recoil from.

We need to calm down and let the facts come out – while no doubt watching the system like a hawk.

Instead, professional parade-jumper Al Sharpton and others are whipping people into a frenzy and further dividing the nation. Meanwhile, President Obama has failed to bring any coherence to the table – oddly noting that if he’d had one, a son would look like Trayvon. Really? That’s the best our first black president can do?

And cynically, Democrats in Washington and Florida see the surf’s up and are trying to catch a political wave – holding hearings in D.C. and seeking a special legislative session in Tallahassee, all while the criminal investigation goes on.

This isn’t a political football with which to try to win points. It’s a tragic confrontation, the full picture of which has yet to emerge.

Beware those who seek to exploit it.

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 03/27/12 - 10:38 pm
As usual the AC editorial

As usual the AC editorial staff is consistent pointing out only the
comments of "the liberal left" Maybe a mention of the disgusting comments by Geraldo Rivera and Bill O'Reilly and the photo of Martin on Twitchy which just happens to be run by Michelle Malkin. Yes the AC is consistent-consistently biased and misleading.

specsta
specsta 03/28/12 - 12:39 am
I am so offended by this

I am so offended by this drivel that passes for an editorial commentary that I am beyond astonished. It's like having your small child yell out an embarrassing word in front of company; except in that case we can all laugh it off; in this case, one can only shake your head.

Let's make this simple - the outrage and protests are because Trayvon could have been anyone's child. Most teens in this country wear hoodies, talk on their cell phones while walking around, post Facebook pictures where they emulate some celebrity, and just about all of them would "stand their ground" when confronted by a stranger who had been following them around.

Zimmerman is directly responsible for the death of a young man. No one else is responsible for that. He racially profiled Trayvon, stalked him, and murdered the teen in cold blood. Those are the facts.

Folks are not going to allow one more young minority teen to suffer, simply because they have been as deemed as "suspicious" by some gun-toting vigilante. That's why tens of thousands of people all over the world have stood up and supported Trayvon. This cannot happen ever again to anyone's child.

It is an atrocity that the Chronicle editorial board can't see the bigger picture of what this movement is about. It is about ALL of our children and their safety.

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 03/28/12 - 01:27 am
good for you SPECSTA

good for you SPECSTA

carcraft
carcraft 03/28/12 - 02:51 am
specsta- Please provide some

specsta- Please provide some evidence that Zimmerman racially profiled Martin. Please explain how all the physical evidence supports Zimmerman's story. Please explain how the eye witnesses support Zimmerman's story. Please explian why you think Martin was racially profiled or did Martin look like suspects in burglaries that had occurred in the area. Please explain why it appears Zimmerman was headed back to his car when Martin confronted Zimmerman.

carcraft
carcraft 03/28/12 - 05:15 am
The other very sad thing is

The other very sad thing is that people don't seem to get nearly as upset when the Augusta gangbangers and gangsta wantabes kill each other. I guess from the lack of outrage etc it is OK for blacks to kill blacks while trying to glorify the "gangsta " culture that destroys so many lives. The out rage and anger runs deep when the Jacksons and Sharptons jump on the band wagon and the sheeple respond like Pavlos dog. Yet nothing for all the young blak men that are killing each other and destroying thier lives and communities. http://www.wfxg.com/story/16690905/spike-in-murders-has-richmond-county-...

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/28/12 - 03:50 am
I don't get this one bit. It

I don't get this one bit. It seems to me it's reasonable for neighborhood watch people to ask those they don't recognize in a neighborhood what they are doing there? It also seems reasonable that those walking in a neighborhood would understand a neighborhood watch person might ask them such a question and respond in a reasonable way.

carcraft
carcraft 03/28/12 - 06:34 am

Where is Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? Where are the boycotts and marches on the producers of videos and music that portray the “thug Life” and “ gansta garbage” as being normal “black Culture”. Where music glorifies the drugs and drug life style that killed Whitney Huston. Where is the outrage against rap music that describes and portrays women in the worst vilest ways?
My last question is when is Jesse Jackson going to march against himself for racial profiling? There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved. — the Reverend Jesse Jackson, as quoted in US News, 3/10/96

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/28/12 - 06:36 am
So the AC asks for

So the AC asks for non-violence, patience, and let the legal system work and that is considered offensive.I guess they support anarchy and the vigilante mentality. "Stand your ground" What!!! Zimmerman could have been a police detective for all Martin knew. Since when do you attack people for following or asking you a question??? What idiot would jump a man with a loaded gun-obviously you've never had a gun pointed at you. A snubnose pistol has a short range of accuracy so you run because the closer you get the more accurate. From the record Zimmerman has called the police many times and reported suspicious activity-how many of those were hispanic, white, or asian? If they are all black then you've got a case. I find it odd with the racial profiling of Zimmerman as white when he is obvioulsy is as hispanic as our president is african-american. Nexst he will be a vicious jew because of his last name. What is disgusting about this sad incident is the Saul Alinsky influence of never letting a disaster go buy without political ploy. The Dems have had the family up to DC for political gains. Sad, Sad, Sad.

ForeverFrog
ForeverFrog 03/28/12 - 06:40 am
Kudos, specsta. Trayvon

Kudos, specsta. Trayvon Martin was tried, convicted and given the death sentence by a cop wannabe for the crime of “walking while black”. If nothing else, perhaps this story will cause other vigilante types to stop and think before taking the law into their own hands.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/28/12 - 06:53 am
Bizkit wrote: What idiot

Bizkit wrote:

I have seen no news reports claiming that Zimmerman was brandishing the pistol. The very attack that has been reported would indicate that Zimmerman had the weapon concealed, and only showed it and used it after he had been violently attacked by Martin.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/28/12 - 06:56 am
ACES wrote: That’s the best

ACES wrote:

That’s the best our first black president can do?

Actually, President Obama is a mixed-race president.

carcraft
carcraft 03/28/12 - 07:14 am
foreverfrog, On what evidence

foreverfrog, On what evidence do you base you statement "Trayvon Martin was tried, convicted and given the death sentence by a cop wannabe for the crime of “walking while black'''? It is clear from eye witness testamony that Zimmerman was on his back having his head pounded on the sidewalk by Martin.

carcraft
carcraft 03/28/12 - 07:16 am
Little Lamb, There seems to

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 03/28/12 - 07:19 am
What ever happened to

What ever happened to withholding justice and judgment until all the facts are in? Can't we wait until the police investigative report is done before we hang anyone?

If Zimmerman were black, there would be marches against profiling him before the facts were out. But, because he shot a black person he's automatically condemned by the protestors and marchers even before anyone knows the truth about the incident.

Let's put aside the emotions and the blatant hypocrisy, and let the facts be known before we condemn anyone. If the evidence suggests Zimmerman is guilty, then prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law. But let's try him in the court of justice and NOT in the court of public opinion.

I get sick of the Sharptons (and now even the Democratic Party) praying on the emotions of the masses simply for their own self-promotion and benefit.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 03/28/12 - 07:28 am
Specta's rant above is a good

Specta's rant above is a good example of the problem. The facts are not known, but Specta is ready to hang Zimmerman simply because a black guy was shot.

More blacks are murdered by other blacks than by any other ethnic group. But, no protests there. We only see thousands get upset and march when a black person is killed by a non-black person. The transparency and duplicity of so many has become so tiresome.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/28/12 - 07:25 am
Howcanyou that was my

Howcanyou that was my argument yesterday ,but that Genie is outta da bottle. Incidents like this and worse happen everyday but this one incident is being politicized. Dem political machinations. I find the Draconian mentality of many Americans frightening. Let's all brandish weapons , form a posse, round up someone to hang for somethin. The Good Ole Days of Judge Roy Bean. Miss Lilly!!!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/28/12 - 07:28 am
If that evidence in your 8:16

If that evidence in your 8:16 post is true, carcraft, then the shooting was justified. Martin either attacked Zimmerman while the weapon was concealed and then continued fighting once the gun was revealed; OR Martin attacked because he saw a weapon and thought he could take it away. Either way, Martin started the fight. Self-defense is a reasonable claim for Zimmerman.

The key element is Martin's attack on Zimmerman. As Austin Rhodes mentioned on his radio program yesterday, whoever throws the first punch escalates the incident to a place where the stand your ground law protects the one on the receiving end of the first punch.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/28/12 - 07:26 am
I wonder why the justice

I wonder why the justice department is rounding up the Black Panthers who were on the tube expounding violence. Peaceful demonstrations is one thing but putting a bounty on Zimmerman's head is beyond measure.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/28/12 - 07:30 am
I use to work with an asian

I use to work with an asian man. I guess I am racially profiling because I noted his asian descent. Race is neutral in this incident as both are of a minority population who suffer the same discrimination, health disparities, poverty, IQ, etc. The issue is why is a neighborhood watch guy carrying a gun rather than a tazer or some non-lethal deterrant, and why is one guy instead of two on watch.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 03/28/12 - 07:49 am
I'm not defending Zimmerman,

I'm not defending Zimmerman, but neither do I condemn him until all the evidence is presented. But, what I do condemn is people protesting and marching demanding "Justice" before we know what happened. That's hypocrisy, for sure, but also smacks of racism. I'm tired of the double standards. Let's end ALL racism, and stop making racism OK for one group of people or another.

deadline
deadline 03/28/12 - 07:47 am
"Little Lamb, There seems to

"Little Lamb, There seems to be evidence that Martin was trying to get the gun from Zimmerman after he saw it on Zimmerman and the fight then became over the weapon."

I guess Trayvon should have just on his hands and knees with his hands behinds his head, head bowed, and taken a bullet.

deadline
deadline 03/28/12 - 07:51 am
When you are confronted by an

When you are confronted by an individual that has been following you in a car and then on foot in the dark, I think you have every right to defend yourself. In some cases, the defender may become the aggressor , it is where this gets murky.

Personally, if someone follows me and confronts me and I defend myself, I am not really thinking about their safety, but more about mine and getting home to my family.

TParty
TParty 03/28/12 - 08:03 am
"If Neighborhood Watch

"If Neighborhood Watch volunteer George Zimmerman was overzealous and is found to be at fault in the case"

The problem is there seemed to be no investigation. Zimmerman went home that night, kept his gun, and the police moved on. Only after the community demanded to hear the 911 calls did this make national news- because something is amiss.

For those saying Zimmerman had a right to shoot this kid, because this kid attacked him- you cannot be serious.

If I started a fight and ended up biting more than I can chew and started to lose- I can't just shoot the person and go home that night. This Zimmerman guy followed this kid, said he looked like he was up to no good, because walking in a community is suspect.

Community watchman are suppose to watch. They are not Batman, they don't get to chase down, interrogate and fight bad guys. If some watchman, or anyone who does not ID themselves as a police officer follow me, or question my activities- they'll find how hostile I can turn. And I don't think I'm unique in this.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/28/12 - 08:06 am
No one seems to be

No one seems to be questioning why Trayvon was walking around the homes "looking around" as Mr. Zimmerman told the dispatch. If he was walking home from a store heading back to his dad's fiance's house, normally people walk on the side of the road or a side walk, not through people's yard. Why didn't he hang up from his girlfriend and call his dad? If I was that scared I'd be calling my dad, saying hey, someone's following me can you come meet me, I'm walking back to the house.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/28/12 - 08:09 am
" Zimmerman went home that

" Zimmerman went home that night, kept his gun, and the police moved on."

According to the police report, Mr. Zimmerman was handcuff, put in a patrol car, transported to the police station, questioned and TParty, his clothes and gun WERE taken. You make it sound like no investigation has taken place (just cause you haven't been involved doesn't mean it's not being done).

Haki
Haki 03/28/12 - 08:14 am
Before reading the comments,

Before reading the comments, I knew which usual posters would agree with this rubbish. I'm so ashamed of my local community. Sadly so many people will voyage to this area next week for one function, not knowing what's really going on outside of it.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 03/28/12 - 08:17 am
I really don't think it's

I really don't think it's "rubbish" to call for restraint until all facts are known. What is "rubbish" is to rush to judgment before the evidence is clear.

virgilkane
virgilkane 03/28/12 - 08:20 am
I absolutely agree with you

I absolutely agree with you Haki. And divisive editorials such as this, day in and day out, don't help that's for sure.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/28/12 - 08:24 am
"He racially profiled

"He racially profiled Trayvon, stalked him, and murdered the teen in cold blood. Those are the facts."

As we learn more it appears that those may not be the facts. There is, at a minimum, conflicting facts. A Grand Jury and possibly a federal hate crime investigation will decide. I don't think the feds can prove a hate crime and the Grand Jury might, and I say might, could come up with a manslaughter charge.

On the other hand, the New Black Panthers involved in the Wanted Dead or Alive reward poster, if anything does happen to Zimmerman because of the reward, should be arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping and premeditated murder.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 03/28/12 - 08:32 am
Why is it "divisive" to seek

Why is it "divisive" to seek the truth? I think it is divisive to assume innocence or guilt BEFORE the evidence is known. You should not promote prejudice and racism, which is what some on here are, in effect, doing. Let the evidence speak to us, not the protestors.