Message in a battle

Democrats win public relations war, as GOP shoots itself in foot

There’s a certain rich irony in the fact that ProFlowers pulled its advertising from Rush Limbaugh’s show after he called a birth control proponent a “slut” and “prostitute.”

Sending flowers was the least he needed to do.

But neither his patently offensive remarks, nor their potential impact on the election, are laughing matters.

Limbaugh has since apologized – unlike his even-worse liberal counterparts – for his gratuitous insult of Georgetown University student Sandra Fluke, who testified before congressional Democrats last week in favor of federally mandated birth control insurance. But the apology wasn’t accepted, and Democrats now have another tool with which to divide the electorate and defeat Republicans in the fall.

Democrats are winning this war of words – over birth control, over Limbaugh’s intemperance – in two ways.

First, they’re making Republicans look like the Taliban. Somehow, Democrats and the left-leaning media have made this issue about women’s health and access to birth control. The truth, of course, is there is no problem with access to birth control. The only question is who should pay for it – well, that, and whether health insurance providers should be forced by the government to offer it over their own moral objections.

Conservatives feel that neither taxpayers nor private insurance customers should be made to pay for someone else’s birth control – which is often little more than a ticket to
promiscuity. To conservatives, that is being forced to fund someone else’s irresponsibility.

Yet, Democrats and their compliant media have turned the birth control pill into not just a right that others must
provide, but something of a
sacrament.

Democrats also win in this silly debate by changing the subject from the economy, the president’s dismal record, foreign policy storm clouds on the horizon, the national debt and more.

Republicans have helped them do it, too – from presidential Rick Santorum’s getting sucked into the discussion repeatedly, to Limbaugh’s disgusting rant. The latter’s flame-throwing has most people missing the point.

Which, as has been pointed out, is just peachy with Democrats.

bjphysics
bjphysics 03/06/12 - 10:56 am
Speaking of Endorsements: I’m

Speaking of Endorsements:

I’m from the Left and I endorse this continuing debate; let’s see if we can keep up until November.

And to the Right I say: “Don’t let go of that lure, keep biting down hard on that hook.”

faithson
faithson 03/06/12 - 10:59 am
gotta love MEN arguing

gotta love MEN arguing contraception. Men have NO perspective on this issue, none. All they can argue is the 'consequence' of its use. On the issue of rational consequence the hypocracy by some is lamentable. On one hand they want to address the abortion, single parenting issue and on the other they don't want to support women in preventing these same issues. Having your cake and eating it too just will not square with a rational discussion of the issue. and by the way, having 4 sisters, a wife and 3 daughters, I say let the women figure this out, not a bunch of men who already have an agenda the congressman brought out in his committee hearing, let alone the likes of ole Rush the bohemian.

raul
raul 03/06/12 - 11:38 am
@bjphysics. I enjoy your

@bjphysics. I enjoy your comments, even if you are from the Left. However, I have noticed on some issues such as 2nd ammendment rights, you lean more to the right. That was you wasn't it?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 03/06/12 - 11:49 am
faithson-your arguement that

faithson-your arguement that men have NO perpspective on the issue of contraception is a little odd..without men there is no need to have contraception for women..therefore men who love their wives or girlfriend usually take an active role in birth control. after we had our family i went under the knife...if you women are not finding partners who want to be a part of the responsibilty then you are looking in the wrong places ....after all its all about responsibilities, yours and your lover, no one else...so higher standards might be needed.

bjphysics
bjphysics 03/06/12 - 12:07 pm
Yes raul, guns good, my bad.

Yes raul, guns good, my bad. Initially I was simply reprimanded by Soros and my Vegetarian Overlords but after multiple pro-gun infractions they tore off my Liberal epaulettes and banished me to lib-purgatory:

That's why I'm here.

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/12 - 12:23 pm
Faithson-NOBODY IS DENYING

Faithson-NOBODY IS DENYING ANYBODY BIRTH CONTROL- You can go buy all you want, you can get it for free at Planned Parent Hood, you can buy it in a vending Machine at Circle K. If we follow Obama and the liberals argument that since birth control is a right then the government must fund it, I want the government to provide me with a new gun since owning a gun is a right. I want one of those AR 15 knock offs with about a 1-4 power variable scope and lazer site. Since they only cost about $2,000 it will be much cheaper than Fluke birth control for a year!

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/12 - 12:25 pm
Say has anybody heard how

Say has anybody heard how Obama's pond scum energy plan is going? I know the battery and solar panel thingy isn't working out to well..BWAHAHAHAHA

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/06/12 - 12:42 pm
Just curious....if it's a

Just curious....if it's a woman's right to have birth control covered by her insurance why don't men have the same right to have condoms covered by insurance? I'm just asking.....

I'd much rather my son take the responsiblity of preventing a pregnancy than rely on the young lady to be responsible enough to take a single pill every morning, which may or may not work.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 03/06/12 - 01:45 pm
Bj just posted something for

Bj just posted something for once I can agree with at 10:56; or more accurately, I should say, BJ, finally agreed with me. . Yes, shut up and get back to the economy! Obama wants to talk sex, move him back to jobs and the economy.

Right, have you voted today? Voter turn out thus far is sparse.

allhans
allhans 03/06/12 - 01:11 pm
Santorum fell for it. Now

Santorum fell for it. Now Rush has fallen for it. When will Conservatives stop and think, surely they know what the liberals are about.
Why do you think they talk about algae?

raul
raul 03/06/12 - 01:17 pm
@BJPhysics. Good one. @

@BJPhysics. Good one.
@ WillowB. Yes, I did vote this morning, and you are right, it was sparse.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 03/06/12 - 01:46 pm
allhans, that's an easy one,

allhans, that's an easy one, because they like slime.

yakirz
yakirz 03/06/12 - 03:03 pm
The republicans *are* the

The republicans *are* the taliban - christian branch. Rick Santorum is their Muhammad Omar.

burninater
burninater 03/06/12 - 03:20 pm
Block quote from a piece by

Block quote from a piece by Joanne Bamberger:

"The larger issue is one that most news outlets are missing. By calling Fluke a slut and prostitute, Limbaugh called every woman in America who gets prescription birth control through her health insurance those same things. While my daughter isn't old enough (yet) to think about her reproductive years, my two stepdaughters are. And my nieces are. And loads of my friends still are. And that's where Limbaugh crossed the line.
No woman, regardless of political party, is going to stand for anyone calling her daughters or her friends sluts. And we sure don't like politicians who won't stand up to bullies who try to smear the good names of the girls and women in our lives. I'm talking to you Republican presidential contenders who refuse to take on the Limbaugh power machine and who kowtow to his kind of hateful misogyny. You're forgetting that we're the majority of voters and at the end of the day, we have a lot more power over your political future than Limbaugh."

raul
raul 03/06/12 - 04:01 pm
@burninater. Great source,

@burninater. Great source, the Huff and Puff. Ha.

burninater
burninater 03/06/12 - 04:09 pm
Okay Raul, women's opinions

Okay Raul, women's opinions mean nothing if they appear on the HuffPost. Got it. It's a relief to know that there will be no general election fallout from Repub candidates tying not to offend a man who just called the majority of American women sluts and prostitutes. Someone saying so on HuffPost has just made it insignificant. Phew, dodged that one!

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/12 - 04:55 pm
I've change my mind on the

I've change my mind on the weapon I want the government to buy me because of my right to keep and bare arms (with large tatoos). I want a semi auto 50 cal sniper rifle and all the amunition I need! I will wait for the libs to insure nobody tramples my right to own a gun by purchasing it for me!

Bruno
Bruno 03/06/12 - 05:51 pm
I don't know why this is even

I don't know why this is even being debated in front of Congress. If your insurance company doesn't cover something such as birth control you are free to go find and pay for one that does. This should never be an issue for government. (BTW, some of my best friends are sluts so I am getting a kick out of these replies.)

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/12 - 06:13 pm
I think President (err

I think President (err scratch that) , King ( uh not quite right), hummm, Dictator Obaama should order my home insurance company to buy me a AR 15 and then order my car insurance company to buy me a glock pistol. After all stoping me or my neighbors from being robbed or stoping a car jacking is less expensive than replacing the items stolen or the car that is stolen. If everybody was armed criminals would be less likely to rob and crimee would go down...That's it, Obama can just order what ever he wants, right?

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/12 - 06:15 pm
Hows powering our cars with

Hows powering our cars with pond scum going, do any of the liberals know. Obama talked today about how serious it is being President, maybe he should get serious about our pond scum energy...

SouthernChic
SouthernChic 03/06/12 - 07:55 pm
Impossible says: "Some more

Impossible says: "Some more examples would be: love of fishing, alcohol, recreational drugs, chocolate, newer car, golf balls, etc."

Show me in a medical journal where recreational drugs, chocolate, a new car or golf balls are beneficial to ones health and why insurance should cover them you will have won a point.

Out of all of the points I put on the table, and the facts about what Fluke was really saying, that's all you got? New cars and golf balls? Sounds to me like you get your debate points from the current round of GOP hopefuls.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/06/12 - 08:14 pm
Golf balls are certainly good

Golf balls are certainly good for your health. Exercise and all that. It wouldn't be hard to find something on Medscape about that. It sounds to me like you get your debate points from the Dem candidate. But he's not a bad guy, just in over his head trying to understand capitalism, which just happens to be what pays the bills in this country.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/06/12 - 09:09 pm
Well there sure is a lot of

Well there sure is a lot of individuals who "claim" recreational drugs are good for them, any women will tell you chocolate is excellent for you. Men tend to agree if it calms the raging beast in us. A new car, well that one is a little difficult but it sure would make me happy. I think I'll leave the golf to River....he does have a point about exercise. Ever walked 18 holes of golf, you'd agree too.

impossible
impossible 03/06/12 - 09:19 pm
SouthernChic None of the

SouthernChic None of the things I mentioned is harmful. Promiscuous sex, regardless of who's paying the freight, is harmful. Amorality is always harmful. Spending $3000 on contraception during law school makes one wonder why the person is in law school at all. Does that leave any time for study?

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/12 - 09:54 pm
By the way, how many miles to

By the way, how many miles to a gallon of pond scum, or the battery that doesn't exist yet? Oh $ 5/ gallon for gas is OK if we all get free birth control that you can get at planned parent hood any way!

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/12 - 10:16 pm
Southernchic, you once said

Southernchic, you once said you work at the VA, then you should know a glass of wine in the evening is actually good for you. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089 So I want King Obama to order my health insurance company to buy me wine ( none of the cheap stuff, I want the real expensive stuff with a cork in the top). I just wish he would order my car insurance company to buy me my glock and the house insurance company to buy me my 50 cal semi auto sniper rifle with amunition..Please King Obama..please, I promise I'll stop saying things about you...

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/12 - 10:03 pm
Wine is my alcohol and

Wine is my alcohol and alcohol is my recreational drug of choice, your all for choice aren't you?

impossible
impossible 03/06/12 - 10:17 pm
Faithson.  Your comments

Faithson.  Your comments raise some questions.  Did your “priest” suggest artificial birth control?  A Catholic priest has no right to teach contrary to the Church’s Magisterium. Is he still a priest today?
You’ve got Rome confused with Obama. Rome issued no such mandate. It is Obama who has cleverly “made the issue of contraceptive rights a wedge position” much like the other wedge positions he has created or exacerbated to distract folks from the economy, unemployment, apologizing to those who murder Americans and having unsafe sex with the Constitution.
When some within the Church (not the Church itself) pontificate on pseudo-science or man-made global warming, the second amendment, and such they are way off base, whether in the pulpit or outside of the pulpit. The official Church has itself said it has no competence to make concrete pronouncements on secular matters like those.
The issue isn’t access to birth control. The issue is religious freedom - the Constitution. Don’t get suckered into playing on Obama’s disinformation team

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/12 - 10:32 pm
I promise I'll stop saying

I promise I'll stop saying bad things about Obama like he promised to keep unemployment below 8%..Honest, just order my home insurance company to buy me a 50 cal semi auto sniper rifle and order my car insurance company to buy me a glock..please.. I'll even sing umm umm umm to Obama, promise like he promised to close GITMO..

SouthernChic
SouthernChic 03/07/12 - 10:23 am
Really? I mean really you

Really? I mean really you guys? Please tell me that you are being facetious. Partisan politics mean more to you than the actual facts?

We are talking about a MEDICATION! From a FDA approved pharmaceutical company!

You know what-have it your way. Play your little games and call the president names, because it's obvious to me that you don't care about the issues. Silly me for thinking there was an ounce of rationality left in this town.