Civilization makes a comeback

This week ranks among area's best in terms of crimefighting

It was a bad week for the bad guys in these parts.

In particular for the misanthropic buzzards who think they have a right to enter your home at will and take your hard-earned possessions.

Fact is, burglars may never have had a worse week in this area’s history.

Mid-morning on Monday, a would-be burglar in Harlem – with a woman and 2-year-old child waiting in a sport-utility vehicle – made the mistake of treading straight into the heart of Second-Amendment Land: As he was trying to break into a house, an armed neighbor stopped by to see if he could be of assistance. He was: He held the burglar at gunpoint for the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office.

On Wednesday night, as his father struggled with a couple of brazen home invaders, a Martinez 15-year-old managed to retrieve his father’s .22-caliber rifle and kill one of the attackers, while the other slunk off to where the wild things are.

Though completely justified in every manner possible, we can’t imagine how difficult that was for the young man. But while no death should be celebrated, his family should be eternally proud of his fortitude and quick thinking. Defending one’s hearth and home is a wholly righteous, noble act. Moreover, the family should be gratified that it raised a young man so readily equipped for
self-reliance and even heroism.

But for the shotgun approach to battling burglars this week, we had Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength – whose forces swept through town like a spring storm to round up 80 burglars and thieves Tuesday, the climax of a seven-month undercover operation resulting in 110 indictments.

Strength’s Raiders assembled dozens of stolen guns and half a million dollars’ worth of pilfered possessions – largely by setting up a sting operation
posing as an illegal pawn shop at a shady south Augusta cigarette store. Once the
ne’er-do-wells heard about the faux fencing operation, they flocked to it like the return window after Christmas.

In fact, several of the crooks were so productive they had to be taken off the streets before “Operation Smoke Screen” concluded.

Yep. A really bad week for burglars in these parts.

Sad to say, they may be having a better time in Atlanta, where state lawmakers are toying with criminal justice “reform” that may go easier on some burglars in order to save the state money on prisons. Let’s hope the state’s savings don’t end up costing yours or your neighbor’s.

For now, the people of this community just can’t adequately thank Sheriff Strength and his officers – as well as the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the U.S. Marshals Service – for risking everything to protect our homes and lives. They get it. They get that burglary and theft are about much more than “stuff.” It’s about our peace of mind. It’s about the “right of the people,” as the Fourth Amendment put it, “to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures.” Our founders were talking about protection from the government – but the concept applies to low-lifes as well.

It’s about whether we have a civilized society or not.

This week, civilization made a nice comeback here.

charlesaiken
charlesaiken 03/03/12 - 07:41 am
You better get your guns

You better get your guns while you can. if Hussein is reelected they might be hard to get.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/03/12 - 07:44 am
With all the big crime sweeps

With all the big crime sweeps in Richmond County that they publicize so often, I've decided criminals are like sandspurs. Cut one down and ten more pop up. But Scott Peebles wearing his bullet proof vest saying "SWAT" at the press conference makes me believe he plays with his handcuffs at home a little too much.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 03/03/12 - 07:46 am
Yes, great editorial ACES. I

Yes, great editorial ACES. I lost thousands of dollars due to an overnight burglary at my business, and while we made mistakes that made it easier for them to ply their trade, they still had no right to take what was mine. My business is now protected better than Fort Knox, but I wish I would have been on hand when they showed up because rather than printing a burglary occurred your news organization would be printing their obituaries.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 03/03/12 - 08:06 am
Oh, and Rverman1, work a day

Oh, and Rverman1, work a day in Scott Peebles shoes and then you have the credibility to make remarks like that, until that day has passed you should refrain from such comments.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 03/03/12 - 08:07 am
Contempt for the law is too

Contempt for the law is too strong a term. The law would have to be a strong factor in criminal's thinking and lives, and as it is now, it's not. Right now, the strong arm of the law is one holding open the revolving door.

It begins at school; juvenile jailbirds getting sentenced to days off from school for felonious assault, then in what can only be described as comedic moment, the judge turns around like someone peed on his peruke and locks up another child for simulating the same act- minus the violence and gang activity.

They see their peers commit crime after crime, usually while on bail or parole from their last spree, being caught yet again. Then they're released back on the community they prey on by a legal system that cannot or will not take them off the streets until they murder.

Of all the "sweeps" and mass arrests, I would be very interested to know where they will be sleeping next week. Hint: not in jail.

And by the way, editorial staff, the idea of safe and secure in one's home is from the government. That, like the rest of the Bill of Rights, has been null and void for decades.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/03/12 - 08:12 am
Oh, Scott-Hudson, about

Oh, Scott-Hudson, about giving the conditions before others can post, it doesn't work. When you do your sensationalized reports about various public officials, do I tell you something like that? What is it about people who want to play up to authority figures? Strange personalities.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 03/03/12 - 08:26 am
Riverman1, you can toss

Riverman1, you can toss stones at me all day and you can call me sensationalistic. You have the right on this forum to accuse me of 'playing up' to authority figures and make any other claim you want allowed by this forum. The difference is that I SIGN MY NAME to everything I write and SPEAK MY NAME to every report I submit...Who are you? An anonymous person...so you have no credibility.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/03/12 - 08:32 am
Scott-Hudson, so I'm an

Scott-Hudson, so I'm an anonymous person who has no credibility? Geez, this is like the editorial and the copious comments we had the other day. You choose to post here where using anonymous names is the standard and want to criticize those commenting?

I suspect readers put a certain standard of credibility and humor to my comments that I've managed to build over time. So what you said is not true. It could be many put a negative connotation to your comments because they know the REAL Scott Hudson.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/03/12 - 08:39 am
Here's my theory about people

Here's my theory about people who can't accept mild jokes about authority figures. They believe they somehow ingratiate themselves to these figures when they jump up and scream on their behalf. They feel they will one day be rewarded for being such a loyalist. Possibly they feel like they live their lives on the edge where such a connection may be helpful one day. Personally, I don't and doubt I'll ever call an authority figure on my behalf. So I joke about them and appreciate them at the same time.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/03/12 - 08:39 am
The fact is Scott Peebles is

The fact is Scott Peebles is a public official and now a political one because he is going to run for Sheriff apparently. Matter of fact, with the other possible candidates that I know of, I'd probably support him even if I think the administration of the RCSO under Strength (see, there I go again) has been abysmal. I simply call silly public behavior when I see it no matter who it is.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 03/03/12 - 09:23 am
It's a beautiful morning...

It's a beautiful morning...

Bruno
Bruno 03/03/12 - 10:08 am
"Protections for anonymous

"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse. Allowing dissenters to shield their identities frees them to express critical minority views . . . Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . . It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation . . . at the hand of an intolerant society." Supreme Court 1995 McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/03/12 - 10:12 am
Back at the ranch........lock

Back at the ranch........lock and load. The judges will be putting all of the crooks caught in the sweep out on bail, followed by probation, pretty soon. Think of it as one of those carnival shooting galleries where the same targets keep popping back up.

allhans
allhans 03/03/12 - 10:35 am
Can we just back up and start

Can we just back up and start over please.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 03/03/12 - 01:04 pm
Allhans - I agree, let's

Allhans - I agree, let's start over...the RCSO can't be everywhere all the time, sometimes citizens have to step up and (within the law) protect their property. My property is protected with surveillance and firearms. And I have witnessed over the years as a reporter the excellent job the RCSO does and that is not sucking up to anyone, it is simply the truth. They do their best despite an ever decreasing budget and judges that routinely slap wrists rather than throw the law book at repeat offenders.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/03/12 - 02:01 pm
We've got a "Three Coins in a

We've got a "Three Coins in a Fountain" police ADMINISTRATION in Richmond County is one of the major factors with the crime.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 03/03/12 - 04:04 pm
Riverman, don't worry! Scott

Riverman, don't worry! Scott learned his arguments from Austin Rhodes! It's always the same thing: we aren't qualified to state our opinion because we don't use our real name. Maybe that really proves our point. Why do they really want us to use our real name: so they can investigate us and pull up dirt that they can use on their public airwaves. Not saying that they do or don't but that is something to consider.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 03/03/12 - 04:51 pm
Scoop- you are right, I am

Scoop- you are right, I am proud to call Austin a friend and colleague and no matter what moniker you use, if you are a corrupt government official it is highly likely AR and I will expose you and drag you through the airwaves...No one has filed a libel suit against me yet and I have broadcast the better part of a decade...Ben Franklin wrote anonymously, so I have little problem with it, except when people make personal attacks and hide behind a moniker, ie. calling me sensationalistic and indicating I support law enforcement because I have something to gain, neither of which is true.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 03/03/12 - 05:09 pm
I didn't witness much, make

I didn't witness much, make that any, starting over. Just saying.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 03/03/12 - 07:18 pm
LOL Riverman....LOL...Okay,

LOL Riverman....LOL...Okay, I'll do just that...hahahaha

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 03/03/12 - 07:31 pm
This is getting bizarre.

This is getting bizarre.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 03/04/12 - 08:59 pm
Oh Scott, I am so sorry for

Oh Scott, I am so sorry for you and Austin. What a sad life you must lead only to find joy in digging up dirt on people. I knew a police officer and he said that it was hard to keep a good perspective on life when all you see is the ugly things people do. Not everybody is dirty and not everybody is perfect. One of the reasons I would never run for office is because I don't need someone confronting my 3rd grade teacher asking about why I threw spitballs in class. Our world is the shape we are in because of corrupt people yes but it doesn't help that men can't see the good anymore in people because they are just waiting for the next breaking story from Scott and Austin.