A significant sweep

Santorum's Tuesday trifecta exposes Romney's continuing challenge

With Tuesday’s stunning election results, it will be fascinating to see exactly who decides which Republican candidate is “electable”: the voters or the media.

Truth be known, primary voters’ biggest hesitation with candidate Rick Santorum may be whether the “mainstream” media will find him acceptable.

Voters may ultimately determine they don’t give a hoot what the media think – and that conservatives are tired of being told to go sit in a corner and pipe down.

Yet, close observers have long known that if Santorum ever got traction in the race, the media would paste his picture next to “extreme” in the dictionary. After all, he’s for family values and against abortion. He holds other conservative views, which will likely make him constitutionally ineligible to hold office in the left-wing media’s view – but being ardently pro-life and a passionate advocate of the nuclear family is probably enough.

This, despite the fact that Gallup puts the pro-life and pro-choice populations at about equal. That means, of course, that half the country is “extreme,” which is one of the media’s more impressive feats of mental acrobatics.

The fact is, there is nothing significantly wrong with Rick Santorum and no reason why he shouldn’t be considered for the presidency. Three states’ voters said as much loud and clear Tuesday in Minnesota, Colorado and Missouri.

You do have to wonder whether Santorum’s traditional American values are too quaint, even objectionable, to the anything-goes crowd that seeks total control over American society these days. How sad if such a candidate is deemed unfit. If so, it says more about the country than the candidate.

As for the horse race, Santorum’s surprising sweep again calls into question on-again-off-again frontrunner Mitt Romney’s ability to connect with conservatives.

Some of it may be that he’s a Mormon, and that would be pitiable and self-defeating: This election is about the country’s soul, not man’s.

Though Romney also has been bloodied by his Ultimate Fighting cage match with Newt Gingrich – while Santorum has happily soared above the fray – we’ve previously noted that Romney has lingering deficits with regard to conservative voters. His governing record is a tapestry portraying varying ideologies and occasional U-turns. And Romney is haunted by the ghost of George W. Bush – which frightens away many who’ve been traumatized by ersatz conservatives.

The bottom line is, Romney still must find a way to exhibit his conservative credentials. Unfortunately, birth certificates are easier to produce.

At the same time, Republican voters may have to decide who picks their presidential nominee – them or the liberal media.

blues550
blues550 02/09/12 - 01:06 am
Doesn't matter. Too many

Doesn't matter. Too many people lapping up Obama's stash and with the media in tow Barry will have four more years.

blues550
blues550 02/09/12 - 01:07 am
Doesn't matter. Too many

faithson
faithson 02/09/12 - 01:19 am
the POUS is elected by

the POUS is elected by independent swing voters. PERIOD. Santorum lost his encumbent senate seat by the largest margin in senate history, yes, senate history. Questions exist about his affability when serving in the senate. I have no idea how this man has got this far except that he continually plays the 'religion' card on the citizenry. Of all the candidates in the field He is the most creditable, He just cannot and will not move that segment of the voting public called 'independents' who elect the President. Sorry, but it has nothing to do with the MSM, it has to do with Rick's passionate ultra conservative religious convictions. He reminds me of Ron Paul, a man who tells it like he sees it, but has a snow balls chance in ---- of being President of the United States. think your stuck with Mitt... good luck, your gonna need it.

wtinney
wtinney 02/09/12 - 01:29 am
Well, as I said before,

Well, as I said before, evangelicals will not vote for a Mormon and the evangelical populations are more concentrated in southern and midwestern states. I like Santorum, really, but Romney, if not a Mormon, would have this primary race in the bag. Romney, as predicted, has not won one culturally southern or midwestern state yet. Iowa - Santorum, South Carolina - Gingrich, Colorado - Santorum, Minnesota - Santorum, and Missouri - Santorum. Romney took New Hampshire, Florida (not culturally south), and Nevada. It is a race folks and the real, only, true conservative, Rick Santorum, is now in the thick of it because, and ONLY because, Romney is a Mormon. Don't believe me? Look at the exit polls among those that consider themselves strongly religious. A real test will be Michigan. With the economy deep on everybody's minds and a significant proportion of urban voters - that tend not to be evangelical or moral issues voters, will be going to the polls in that primary. We'll see if Santorum finally gets the bump he deserved back with his win in Iowa that took a week to declare (after mis-declaring Romney the winner).

burninater
burninater 02/09/12 - 02:46 am
I'm pretty sure it's

I'm pretty sure it's individual voters, not the MSM, that are casting these ballots. I know Saul Alinsky's radical Marxists have been working on brain rays to force people to vote the liberal media agenda, but we've done a pretty good job so far of shielding polling stations from most forms of nefarious thought control radiation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/09/12 - 05:47 am
Well, I have it on good

Well, I have it on good authority that those identifying themselves as "socialist Democrats" or "Communist leaning" will only vote for Obama. Thus there is no danger of Hillary usurping him.

On the other hand, polls now show Santorum would beat Obama. I guess espousing conservative views such as not spending more than you have are not quite so extreme with the American public. That's a subject only the bizarre, Bill Maher loving media and OWS crowd using the streets for sewers can find controversy in. Isn't it time America went back to common sense government and kicked out the OWS emulating president along with removing the sewage buildup around the OWS crowds? We need fire hoses on the whole mess.

Techfan
Techfan 02/09/12 - 06:02 am
“One of the criticisms I make

“One of the criticisms I make is to what I refer to as more of a libertarianish right...This whole idea of personal autonomy, well, I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world, and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone. That there is no such society that I am aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.”

Techfan
Techfan 02/09/12 - 06:03 am
“Many of the Christian faith

“Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that’s okay, contraception is okay. It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be.”

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/09/12 - 06:19 am
I will have to disagree with

I will have to disagree with some about birth control......it is necessary imo......can you even imagine what this earth would look like w/o it...we would be killing each other over food shortages....
Countries w/o it have an exploding population that they can't feed---can't house & fighting is the name of the game...
Should others pay for bc ----no....that is a choice.

Techfan
Techfan 02/09/12 - 06:26 am
"polls now show Santorum

"polls now show Santorum would beat Obama". That should be the singular poll. Of 6 polls, only the right leaning Rasmussen has Santorum leading (by +1). http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_electi...

avidreader
avidreader 02/09/12 - 07:25 am
I like Santorum. He's fairly

I like Santorum. He's fairly close to being a real person. I'm looking for a CEO that will run our nation with fiscal responsibility and provide a dividend to the investors. The talking heads are only concerned with prestige and power. Of course, a lot of people supported Obama as a real guy, with sensible ideas. But that's a story for another day.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/09/12 - 09:14 am
Saantorum is a good man. Good

Saantorum is a good man. Good men make bad Presidents. I would vote for him if it wasn't for one fact...
He doesn't believe in abortion for victims of rape and incest.
Can you imagine a woman carrying a child in her womb that was concieved by violence?
Can you imagine a woman carrying a child in her womb that was concieved by violence by a family member not to metion the chances of mental and physical deformities because of the closeness of the DNA?
Personally if I was a woman who was impregnated by rape every day I would relive the violence of that act. On another note just what do you tell the child? Oh by the way son/daughter you are a child of violence.

David Parker
David Parker 02/09/12 - 09:20 am
folks in olden days before

folks in olden days before modern contraceptives, used sheep parts no? That alone should convince anyone that it's here to stay.

I'm just not clear on why some people would choose a candidate based on their stance regarding something so intimate and personal. Bottom line is government is not an appropriate third party in the bedroom. Our global reputation, national debt, unemployment, alternative energy, and such are the meat and potatoes. Contraception is like a little sprig of parsley.

faithson
faithson 02/09/12 - 10:48 am
when the

when the preacher/priest/bishop say the USA is a culture of death from the pulpit, you turn on the radio and all you hear is how the 'other' party are Marxist/Leninist radicals, you turn on the TV and hear your government is oppressing your religion and the President is behind it all. What would you expect. A bunch of neurotics looking over their shoulder, expecting the Apocalypse at any moment. Interesting how nihilism has infected the republican party, in part because of the influence of the 'moral majority' and faux news. ' Let not anger and hate master you. Speak harshly of no one.' wise words from my daily reading. These words don't work real well with a nihilist philosophy.

allhans
allhans 02/09/12 - 01:43 pm
I like Santorum but I have

I like Santorum but I have never seen him as a presidential candidate. When he says "Romney doesn't care for the poor" I cringe. Santorum knows better. He knows very well what Romney said and he never said "I don't care about poor people", so I am left wondering. How can a good, conservative family man make such blatant statements that are untrue.
Politicians are a tricky bunch. It is a shame we have to select one.

Freeatlast
Freeatlast 02/09/12 - 01:49 pm
These Republican candidates

These Republican candidates are extreme,, and their ideas are dangerous for our nation.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/09/12 - 01:55 pm
Feel free to vote for the

Feel free to vote for the other extreme in November.

allhans
allhans 02/09/12 - 02:01 pm
I should have said that the

I should have said that the trickiest, sneakiest one is not on the Republican ticket but the Democrat one.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/09/12 - 03:36 pm
If you bear a child from a

If you bear a child from a rape and do not give the child up for adoption, you raise that child, love that child, and tell that child you love him/her. It is not the child's fault that a rape happened. It is not the child's fault his or her life resulted from rape. If you have an abortion, you have murdered an innocent victim. Why should the innocent child be murdered because you were raped? Aren't you punishing the wrong person? I wonder if there would be as much rape if rapists didn't think the victim could get "rid of" a possible pregnancy? Rapists should be held accountable; but an innocent child shouldn't be the second victim after the rape victim. The only way to win in this situation is to choose life.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/09/12 - 04:54 pm
AL, rapists aren't thinking

AL, rapists aren't thinking of any consequences.

TParty
TParty 02/09/12 - 05:25 pm
AL- I cannot for a second

AL- I cannot for a second ever get on board with your stance on a woman should be forced to carry the child of a rapist, nor should she ever feel guilty about taking any kinds of medication to prevent a pregnancy, or terminate a pregnancy that resulted from a rape.

I am curious you still hold that belief if the rape victim was a 14-15 year old girl?

faithson
faithson 02/09/12 - 05:40 pm
AL; the point is that it is

AL; the point is that it is the WOMEN's decision, not yours or mine. She is in charge of her eternal soul, not me, not you, not the state, not ANYONE or ANYBODY else. Allowing people to make 'bad' decisions is as old as mother time herself. Here is where Ron Paul makes a good point.

allhans
allhans 02/09/12 - 05:54 pm
A popular video youtube shows

A popular video youtube shows a paralyzed puppy being rescued from a trash bin and given a second chance.. This is a puppy.. Could we not have as much sympathy for a baby?

Bruno
Bruno 02/09/12 - 06:51 pm
I like that Real Clear

I like that Real Clear Politics averages many polls for predictions. I hate that all of their recent predictions show Obama winning against everyone in the Republican field.

Bruno
Bruno 02/09/12 - 06:54 pm
@ faithson, I find it

@ faithson, I find it interesting that it is the woman's right to choose to abort the baby and the man has no say in the matter but if the woman chooses to keep the child then the man must pay child support. (Notice that I didn't come down on either side of the debate.)

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/11/12 - 04:02 pm
Sorry I was not able to

Sorry I was not able to respond earlier TParty, yes, I still think the child should have the baby. I think it would be far less traumatic for the child to have the baby and give it up for adoption than to murder it in the womb. Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't think she could be an emotionally healthy person if she chose to kill the baby. If we wouldn't kill a three year old if it was discovered that the child was a product of rape, why would we kill a baby in the womb, the most helpless and innocent of all victims? I would consider that the child that was raped, to be a victim twice, if that so-called "choice" was made. It's traumatic already for the rape victim, but why is it legal to kill babies under ANY circumstance? That is just adding trauma to trauma, wrong to wrong. Abortion and abortificants are procedures which kill an already conceived child. What possible good can come of that? I'm not saying it would be easy to "choose" life, it absolutely would NOT be easy, under these circumstances, but it would be the RIGHT thing to do.