Bottom line

Arizona requires elected officials to know English – which recently prompted a judge there to kick a Latina candidate off a city council ballot for her lack of proficiency.

No one thinks fluency in English in an English-speaking nation is more important than we do. But the Arizona law is vague and, it seems to us, unenforceable. How much English do you need before you “know” it?

Moreover, the law is misguided. We don’t need ill-defined lingual litmus tests for candidates. What we really need is for all government communications in America to be conducted in English. Bilingualism may feel good, but is capable of keeping people trapped. Generally speaking, to be successful one must speak the language.

The law needs to focus on the language of government, not on subjective, constitutionally questionable value judgments of individuals. That’s the prerogative of the electorate: It should be up to voters to decide whether to elect a representative who doesn’t speak the language.

TParty
TParty 02/01/12 - 12:25 am
I've never understood the

I've never understood the language debate in this country. The Constitution is in English. I really have no idea what it's like when a second or third generation family doesn't speak english and attempt to make it here- so I feel as if I'm lacking that... walked in their shoes insight. But- I just say the Constitution is in English- and every American citizen should read it and understand it. And if you are going take an oath to serve or defend the Constitution- then.... yeah- understanding English is important.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/12 - 02:30 am
I think it would be pretty

I think it would be pretty funny to make a comment in Spanish here.

wtinney
wtinney 02/01/12 - 03:33 am
Good comment, TParty. I agree

Good comment, TParty. I agree with you 100%.

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/01/12 - 08:12 am
TPARTY, there shouldn't be a

TPARTY, there shouldn't be a debate. You don't go to Mexico or another Hispanic country and expect them to speak English. You sure don't hear companies there have phonelines with a recording that says, "For Spanish, press one. For English, press two." But, for some reason, the USA has to provide these for the "Hispanic speaking public." Go to Florida and see how many roadsigns and billboards are printed in Spanish. Try to even bring up the subject of passing a law making English the official language, and you'll get called everything from a Nazi to a Fascist. Yeah, you're right...ITS RIDICULOUS!

david jennings
david jennings 02/01/12 - 08:46 am
Marmota est dios manana!

Marmota est dios manana!

agustinian
agustinian 02/01/12 - 09:01 am
Just curious, could my dog

Just curious, could my dog run for council? She understands "sit", "eat", "walk" -- she's not so good on "come" and "fetch" -- proficient? You tell me.

charlesaiken
charlesaiken 02/01/12 - 09:24 am
''She understands "sit",

''She understands "sit", "eat", "walk" -- she's not so good on "come" and "fetch" -- proficient? You tell me.'
She should run for president she would be bettet than what we have now.

yakirz
yakirz 02/01/12 - 03:34 pm
Ask the Native Americans how

Ask the Native Americans how they felt when the illegal immigrants arrived from Europe, killed and displaced them, and imposed English on someone else's land?

English, and all European languages, were forced unto North America, and deserve no higher regard than any other. Spanish, English, I like both but don't consider them holy.

What white Americans have problems with is an unfamiliar culture growing in strength in their midst. But that's what's happening, creo que necesitos aprender Español.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 02/01/12 - 08:31 pm
If your dog has the birth

If your dog has the birth certificate from the USA, meets the age requirements and sign with a party affiliation, I guess it could run for office. I wonder what type of plans it would come up with to make this country better, since a human being can't seem to do it right. I wonder how this dog would make your life better charlesaiken, since Obama has you in the worse possible position you've ever had in your life so much so, that a dog would be so much better being in charge of your life!

Georgia to monitor potential Ebola travelers

Georgia is one of six states that will soon begin active monitoring of all travelers from three Ebola-stricken countries in West Africa for the 21 days during which they could develop an infection ...