A pattern of petty contempt

The president can be dismissive, even rude, to leaders he dislikes

Some folks, in an attempt to smear conservatives, have tried to make an issue out of the color of the president’s skin.

In truth, as Michelle Malkin also notes today, the problem may be with its thickness.

It has become clear Mr. Obama is shockingly thin-skinned for a chief executive, and he particularly doesn’t like uppity conservatives, even Republican governors.

Apparently angered by something she wrote in a book about an encounter with him, President Obama last week reportedly walked off from a conversation with Arizona Republican Gov. Jan Brewer when she was in mid-sentence on an airport tarmac – a moment caught on camera.

One could expect them to have a tense relationship. Brewer is no doubt outspoken – an admired quality in some quarters, but an attribute that is more often characterized as “controversial” or worse when it’s a conservative.

Moreover, the Obama administration is essentially at war with Arizona over illegal immigration; Arizona’s leaders are trying to do something about it, while Mr. Obama’s Justice Department is trying to stop them.

But this isn’t the first instance in which this president has been boorish, rude and dismissive of other leaders.

In early 2010, The Telegraph of London wrote, Mr. Obama dropped a list of some 13 demands on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House – and when Netanyahu balked, Obama reportedly rose, brusquely announced he was leaving to have dinner with his family and told the prime minister to let him know if his position changed.

“Netanyahu is being treated as if he were an unsavory Third World dictator, needed for strategic reasons but conspicuously held at arms length,” Jackson Diehl wrote in The Washington Post last year.

Obama also refused to pose for photographs with Netanyahu at the time, a rare and conspicuous diplomatic insult.

In another instance, Louisiana Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal wrote in a book about an unpleasant brush with this president when he arrived in the state during the gulf oil spill.

“I was expecting words of concern about the oil spill, worry about the pending ecological disaster, and words of confidence about how the federal government was here to help,” Jindal wrote. “Or perhaps he was going to vent about BP’s slow response. But no, the president was upset about something else. ... Actually, he wanted to talk about a letter that my administration had sent to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack a day earlier.

“The letter was rudimentary, bureaucratic, and ordinary. ... We were simply asking the federal government to authorize food stamps for those who were now unemployed because of the oil spill. Governors regularly make these sorts of requests to the federal government when facing disaster.

“But somehow, for some reason, President Obama had personalized this. And he was upset.

“There was not a word about the oil spill. He was concerned about looking bad because of the letter. ‘Careful,’ he said to me, ‘this is going to get bad for everyone.’”

We understand how Mr. Obama might disagree with conservatives and Republicans. And no one likes having unflattering things written or said about himself. But he appears to need to grow another layer of skin. Presidents must endure all manner of criticism. And they need to work with governors of both parties to solve the country’s problems together, while treating them – and foreign dignitaries – with the very basics of courtesy.

specsta
specsta 01/30/12 - 12:35 am
Gov. Brewer disrespected

Gov. Brewer disrespected President Obama with her angry finger-pointing, so I don't blame the President for walking off. Better to walk off from nonsense before saying something regrettable. Who wants to hear a woman fussing - anyway? I'm surprised the Secret Service didn't tackle her.

This certainly wouldn't have happened if the First Lady was next to the President. Jan Brewer wouldn't have dared to talk to the President like that with First Lady Michelle looking on.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/30/12 - 04:20 am
Speaking of being upset about

Speaking of being upset about things written in books, what about Obama’s book, “Audacity of Hope,” where he talks about meeting George Bush for the first time? Even Obama has later admitted Bush has been pretty nice to him and has avoided political debate, understanding the difficulties of the job as few can.

In his book Obama says he shakes hands with Bush and then Bush turns to an aide “who squirted a big dollop of hand sanitizer in the president's hand." It's an attempt to imply racism and there’s no basis for such a claim.

Bush related on Fox News later he thought that was an unfair depiction of their meeting. I couldn’t agree more. So let me ask this, if Bush confronted Obama about that statement in his book, do you think Obama would apologize?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/12 - 04:36 am
Answer to your question....No

Answer to your question....No

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/12 - 04:40 am
Arizona wants the President

Arizona wants the President to go to the border & see for himself what drugs are doing to this country....the small towns have been taken over by drug lords.....why won't he go??

Techfan
Techfan 01/30/12 - 05:28 am
Thin skinned? For a guy who's

Thin skinned? For a guy who's been called everything but a woman, he's taken it fairly well. Maybe he just asked Brewer if she was lying in the press conference after their 2010 oval office meeting when she said, "It was cordial. Very, very cordial." or in her book? Of course Brewer probably needed to ask Jessica Gavora what was in her book. As to the hand sanitizer: The rest of the quote," "Want some?" the President asked. "Good stuff. Keeps you from getting colds." Not wanting to seem unhygienic, I took a squirt." Sort of blows the implied racism claim.

blues550
blues550 01/30/12 - 05:49 am
Thriller - what a racist

Thriller - what a racist statement that was.

As for Obama, the appropriate term is rabbitt ears. He's got 'em

carcraft
carcraft 01/30/12 - 05:50 am
Yes the liberal media, once

Yes the liberal media, once again, do as I say not as I do! http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2839870/posts

carcraft
carcraft 01/30/12 - 05:52 am
Obama needs to ask William

Obama needs to ask William Ayers what's in his book, other than Ayer's old dead girl friend!

Techfan
Techfan 01/30/12 - 06:22 am
I'm sorry, when was Brian

I'm sorry, when was Brian Williams elected to office?

Rhetor
Rhetor 01/30/12 - 07:05 am
No one knows for sure what

No one knows for sure what the two of them said except for Brewer and Obama. Thus, this editorial is based on pure speculation. The finger-pointing was rude no matter what. Considering the personal abuse (depicting his wife as a monkey, for example) and filthy outright lies that the right wing has spread about him (the birther foolishness, saying he's a Muslim born in Africa, that he's a communist, that he hates America, that his health care plan includes death panels, etc.) I think he's been remarkably cool about things. This petty editorial is just further proof.

allhans
allhans 01/30/12 - 07:18 am
carcraft..It was okay for

carcraft..It was okay for Williams to use the gesture with George Bush, after all...

12barblues
12barblues 01/30/12 - 07:29 am
yawn....same 'ol editorial

yawn....same 'ol editorial day after day

charlesaiken
charlesaiken 01/30/12 - 08:31 am
Folks, these people will

Folks, these people will support the fool we have for a president no matter what he does.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/30/12 - 09:47 am
Retired Army posted: Am I the

Retired Army posted:

Am I the only one to take notice that the Monday editorial in the Auigusta Chronicle seems to be a response to whatever Bill Maher has to say in his monologue on Friday nights over on HBO?

Well, you have to figure that the Monday editorial was actually written last Friday before the end of the workday. So if Bill Maher's Friday night monologue includes the subject matter of the Monday Chronicle editorial, perhaps Maher has a mole inside the ACES!

OJP
OJP 01/30/12 - 10:28 am
Yawn

Yawn

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/30/12 - 11:14 am
Specsta, I doubt very much if

Specsta, I doubt very much if the governor would have been intimidated by Michelle Obama. And besides that, I talk with my hands also and the hand gesture may not have even been what the media has played it up to be. The governor of Arizona just like governors of other border states and citizens of these states are feed up with the government not doing anything about illegal immigrants and their drug trade. Farmers in some of these states say they are living in a war zone. Does anyone wonder why the government is not doing anything about it????? Not just this administration but other ones who have turned a blind eye as well! And just for the record, I do not dislike President Obama because he is bi-racial....

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 01/30/12 - 11:43 am
LOL...the comment on this are

LOL...the comment on this are really funny...the AC could take a lesson

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/30/12 - 11:59 am

FROM: A pattern of petty contempt
stillamazed writes " And just for the record, I do not dislike President Obama because he is bi-racial...."

And I am amazed that stillamazed even brought that up. Is there something you are trying to say here? }

I will say it for them. For many on the left, any criticism of Obama is considered racist. They just can't fathom the right despises his policies but not the man. Do SOME people dislike him because he isn't white? Sure, but they are a minority.

Edited to add: Despise his policies AND the free passes he constantly gets from the press.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/30/12 - 11:57 am
Rhetor, with the camera angle

Rhetor, with the camera angle can you even say with with certainty her finger was pointing AT him? With the still picture I saw, I can not. If she did, then shame on her for the lack of respect for the office, if not the man; but she just as easily have been pointing south and saying "I would really appreciate it if you would come join me at THAT border to see for yourself what is going on." I sure would like to see a different angle that shows definitively where the finger was pointing and what was being said at that moment.

Michael Ryan
Michael Ryan 01/30/12 - 01:30 pm
Retired Army posted: Am I the

Retired Army posted:

Little Lamb responded:

Little Lamb is correct. And even if we worked weekends, we couldn't stomach watching Maher!

allhans
allhans 01/30/12 - 02:26 pm
We need a like button.

We need a like button. Anyhow.."like", Mr. Ryan.

harley_52
harley_52 01/30/12 - 02:39 pm
I don't see any posts by

I don't see any posts by "Retired Army."

TParty
TParty 01/30/12 - 02:45 pm
Mr. Ryan- There have been

Mr. Ryan-

There have been some editorials complaining about Maher and what he says on his late night HBO show. Do you guys watch his show, or does you get anger derive from reading other blogs/editorials that are already writing about their anger from watching the show? If you do not watch his show, do you think it fair to write editorials without knowing the full story?

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/30/12 - 02:52 pm
Its anotherday, you are

Its anotherday, you are surprised that I brought it up? Really? Every time I come on here someone is talking about people disliking him because of his race! yeah there is something I am trying to say, I am saying that I for one am sick to death that everyone who loves Obama, loves to accuse people who don't like him of being a racist, when to the majority of us it has nothing to do with his race! It is merely the fact that we don't agree with some of the things he has done and is trying to do. It should not shock you that I said what I did, I am certainly not shocked at the fact that people accuse ALL Republicans of being racist.

harley_52
harley_52 01/30/12 - 04:57 pm
Small men with huge egos,

Small men with huge egos, like Obama, find it difficult to approach big issues from any perspective beyond personal. Any policy disagreement becomes a personal attack in their minds and they approach it with defensiveness and resentment. Say something critical of Administration policy and you'd better expect a personally oriented hissy-fit as a response.

Obama has been elected to a position far beyond his capabilities. It's what happens when people vote with their emotions rather than their intellect.

Michael Ryan
Michael Ryan 01/30/12 - 05:05 pm
From TParty: Mr. Ryan- There

From TParty:
Mr. Ryan-

TParty -- Good question. We are alerted to some of Maher's worst bile and view it after the fact, although my doctor's trying to get me to quit.

Pitchfork-Ben-Thurmond61
Pitchfork-Ben-Thurmond61 01/30/12 - 06:01 pm
His tone always talking down

His tone always talking down all superior like well he aint. That smug tone makes me and everyones I now SICK SICK SICK. Cant wait for Gingrich to debate him and teach him a thing or two!!!

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/30/12 - 08:10 pm
Michael Ryan, it is nice to

Michael Ryan, it is nice to have the staff able to chime in but a little unfair that you guys get your own differential background color. By golly we should all have own personalized backgrounds.

I want one, a fractal peace sign thingy with Woodstock shadows and Predator Drones dropping GPS Love bombs.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/31/12 - 12:08 am
Stillamazed, I answered

Stillamazed, I answered INSTEAD of you to the post Retired Army made. His posts don't show up here, but they do on the discussion page. The first part of that post was his I copied and pasted.

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/31/12 - 07:24 am
Sorry itsanotherday....I did

Sorry itsanotherday....I did not see it. I see now that I should have posted that to retiredarmy. Have a great day in the AUG., it's seems everyone is going crazy around here these days.

State legislators won't push bill for mayor

The state legislators that Augusta Mayor Hardie Davis needs to draft legislation that will give him more power say that won’t happen this year, with less than a month remaining in the legislative ...