Bottom line

Mitt Romney seems on track to win the Republican presidential nomination. The trick will be to win over conservatives in the process.

The only thing seemingly capable
of stopping Romney at this point might be for other candidates to drop out and back a single Romney rival. So far, it doesn’t appear their egos will allow for that.

Even if conservative voters’ now-infamous hesitation with Romney doesn’t get in the way of his nomination, he should at least want a satisfied and energetic base. So it’s essential in the run-up to the Jan. 21 South Carolina primary that he court conservatives more than ever.

But there need to be more than platitudes. This area of the country is still hurting from George W. Bush’s lack of conservatism, particularly on the budget. So it would be reassuring if Mr. Romney would make pledges in writing to balance the budget and reduce the size of government.

In blood. It’s that important.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/12/12 - 07:22 am
I know how to get my fellow

I know how to get my fellow conservatives on the Romney bandwagon. I'm going to slap my "Kill Communists" bumper stickers on his vehicles when they are in SC.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 01/12/12 - 07:45 am
Are you asking him to lie to

Are you asking him to lie to you?

Chillen
Chillen 01/12/12 - 10:40 am
"it would be reassuring if

"it would be reassuring if Mr. Romney would make pledges in writing to balance the budget and reduce the size of government."

Mr. Romney won't do that, he's a moderate conservative who believes in big govt. He will take us to the same place the liberals will, just much, much slower (which is preferable but still not good enough).

He'll get my vote if he gets the nomination. He will not get my vote in the primary. He's not the right one who will take the drastic measures needed to fix our nation.

It took over 100 years to get to this point.
*100 years to amass this federal debt (though obama is personally responsible for 50% of it in just 3 short years.....imagine 4 more years with that loser in office).
*100 years to get masses of our citizenry totally dependent on the government.
*100 years to get to the point where half the citizens pay no income taxes - ensuring that the candidates who promise the most free goodies will get elected.
*100 years for a citizenry so out of it that they vote into office a documented marxist with communist friends & allies who hate America, it's freedoms and capitalism.

kmb413
kmb413 01/12/12 - 12:54 pm
What politician doesn't lie?

What politician doesn't lie?

harley_52
harley_52 01/12/12 - 03:05 pm
John Bolton, a man I admire,

John Bolton, a man I admire, was interviewed last night by Greta Van Sustern and he announced his support for Romney. He said there was only one man he (Bolton) believed to be the right kind of Conservative for the job of President right now and he (Bolton) had decided not to run this time. He said he was going to adopt the William Buckley method of selecting his candidate which was to support the Conservative who has the best chance of winning the election.

I am adopting that same method.

Romney in 2012!

Chillen
Chillen 01/12/12 - 02:26 pm
Best Bumper Sticker I've ever

Best Bumper Sticker I've ever seen.

"Blind faith in bad leaders is not patriotism." Apply that thought to every candidate.

We must select the best candidate for the job. Someone who has morals and will not do bad things if our country slips into dark times financially (which is almost 95% certain). When times get bad, the real personalities come out. Think carefully about who you want to lead you through those times.

Is it Mr. Healthcare? Mr. Pro-illegal immigration? Mr. Anti-War? Who will it be.......

One person I know we don't want. It's Mr. Marxism himself.

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/12/12 - 05:58 pm
harley_52: “I am adopting

harley_52: “I am adopting that same method. Romney in 2012!”

Let me see if I can remember the user name of the person posting here that said from the beginning of the Republican debates that Romney was 1) going to be the nominee and 2) had the best chance of beating Obama?

At one point others insisted it was Perry, and then they moved on to Cain, then Newt. But this poster stood his ground and consistently said: “No, it’s going to be Romney.”

What was that users name? Help me out here harley.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/12/12 - 06:00 pm
LL said Romney from the

LL said Romney from the start.

harley_52
harley_52 01/12/12 - 06:02 pm
I'm sorry, but I don't

I'm sorry, but I don't recall.

Was it Willow Bailey?

harley_52
harley_52 01/12/12 - 06:03 pm
Brad Owens, maybe?

Brad Owens, maybe?

harley_52
harley_52 01/12/12 - 06:04 pm
Augusta Citizen?

Augusta Citizen?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/12/12 - 06:09 pm
I tell ya it was LL backing

I tell ya it was LL backing Romney from the start. Right, LL?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/12/12 - 06:10 pm
LL was smart enough to see

LL was smart enough to see how it would all play out early on. I was still being emotional and fictional with Herman.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/12/12 - 06:23 pm
Hey, harley, we did have that

Hey, harley, we did have that conversation:)

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/12/12 - 06:28 pm
Brad likes Ron Paul. And

Brad likes Ron Paul. And where is he, we haven't heard from him for awhile.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/12/12 - 06:30 pm
....about the one who has the

....about the one who has the best chance of beating Obama. And also, that Biden will likely not be his running mate. Look at Hillary, she's sprucing up her appearance. Make over, again.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/12/12 - 06:30 pm
and diet.

and diet.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/12/12 - 06:32 pm
And yes, River, LL, is

And yes, River, LL, is smarter than google.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/12/12 - 06:48 pm
Willow, you said something

Willow, you said something the other day about Hillary starting to get her looks together. Maybe there's something to that.

LL is smarter than Google, but I'm not. I know nothing about anything. I always seek the opinion of experts. That's why I read your comments.

harley_52
harley_52 01/12/12 - 07:05 pm
Yes, Willow, when we last

Yes, Willow, when we last discussed it I had narrowed it down to Romney and Gingrich like you. I have subsequently dropped Gingrich. I hope that's okay. :)

harley_52
harley_52 01/12/12 - 07:20 pm
I think most people thought

I think most people thought Romney would likely be the Republican candidate. That's what everybody in the Press was saying and that's what most news commentators were predicting.

Romney wasn't my first choice. He wasn't my second choice either. But I always knew he was the likely nominee.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/12/12 - 07:35 pm
I always heard that

I always heard that Patriotism is the last refuge for scoundrels.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/12/12 - 07:58 pm
harley, yes, I was putting

harley, yes, I was putting off having yet another discussion of our candidate(s). We will go with Mitt. Newt's mouth got him into lots of trouble, but he is still probably the smartest of all of them. Hopefully, Mitt can learn a lesson from him.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/12/12 - 08:00 pm
Then, I will try very hard

Then, I will try very hard not to lead you astray, River:)

eagle
eagle 01/12/12 - 11:37 pm
Newt is good and would

Newt is good and would viscerate Obama in a debate, but 'ol Newt can't keep his foot out of his mouth (unless he's changing feet). I'm not impressed with anyone, but I'll hold my nose and vote for Mitt.
ABO...Anyone but Obama!!