Demonization and disappointment

GOP candidates' reluctance to fight saddens liberal media

The most interesting part of Saturday night’s Republican presidential debate actually happened afterward.

The ABC News “analysis” of the debate was essentially a group of left-leaning observers wholly disappointed that Republicans hadn’t cannibalized each other or beheaded the frontrunner.

They actually seemed disappointed.

The “analysis” was almost as revealing as “moderators” George Stephanopoulos’ and Diane Sawyer’s questions: The conservative Media Research Center says their questions came at the candidates from the liberal perspective by a 6 to 1 margin.

Congratulations may be due to ABC for its fairness: For the debate on NBC on Sunday, the ratio of liberal questions to conservative was even worse: 8 to 1.

Even more amazing: In the ABC debate, says MRC, 25 percent of the questions were about contraception-related issues or gay marriage.

Really? Do Stephanopoulos and Sawyer really believe those are the most pressing issues facing a country $15 trillion in debt and battling historic levels of unemployment?

Of course not. So why the skewing of the questions?

Perhaps it’s an attempt to portray the Republican field as “extreme,” particularly in its defense of life. That would be an interesting strategy, considering the media never much cared to explore Barack Obama’s views on life – or his public record in the Illinois state legislature, where he actually opposed a bill prohibiting the denial of medical care for infants born alive in botched abortions.

How is the president’s record not “extreme”?

But we also loved Mitt Romney’s answer to Stephanopoulos’ ridiculous hypothetical and irrelevant question about whether “states have the right to ban contraception.”

“No state wants to!” Romney said, wondering why the question was even being asked. “The idea of you putting forward things that states might want to do – that no state wants to do – and asking me whether they can do it or not, is kind of a silly thing, I think.” Yep.

Unless you’re less a
moderator than an advocate, and you want to conjure up some hypothetical conservative hobgoblins with which to frighten the electorate. Again, they’re just trying to paint Republicans as extreme in the defense of life.

You know what? Let them! Republican candidates ought to embrace the left-wing media’s label of “extremist” when it comes to protecting innocent life.

Still, should the media be so biased – to the point that The Washington Post’s Dana Milbank admits an “antipathy” in the “general” media toward candidate Rick Santorum’s social conservatism?

You can see why the media would be disappointed if Republicans don’t fight each other sufficiently. Dividing them may be the only way to stop them in 2012.

If the demonizing doesn’t work, that is.

TParty
TParty 01/10/12 - 12:03 am
I really liked Romney's

I really liked Romney's answer and whole dialogue to George- during that whole State's rights to ban contraception hypothetical time.

I didn't bother watching the after analysis- and I feel sorry for those who do.

With that said- there was some good fights. My favorite was when Ron Paul called Newt a chicken hawk, finding ways to get out of serving his country. Ron Paul said "I think people who don't serve when they could and they get three or four or even five deferments, they have no right to send our kids off to war," he continued. "I'm trying to stop the wars, but at least, you know, I went when they called me up." Newt of course said "I had a wife and child" (Funny how important his wife was then, but not so important when he was chasing other women). Ron Paul replied: "When I was drafted, I was married and had two kids, and I went."

I hope you heard the applause from that statement.

Huntsman also did awesome, going after Romney. He said during the debate “This nation is divided David, because of attitudes like that.” His response met with an uproar of audience applause." Huntsman said this after Romney complained he worked with a Democratic President, by being an ambassador. The next day Hunstman said:

"I was criticized last night by Governor Romney for putting my country first. He criticized me for serving my country in China while he was out raising money. Like my two sons who are serving in the United States Navy, I want to be very clear: I will always put my country first."

I thought those two instances were very powerful.

And I learned from Augusta Chronicle just now that Romney is under fire again for saying "I like being able to fire people who provide services to me."

"Gov. Romney enjoys firing people. I enjoy creating jobs" said Huntsman.

TParty
TParty 01/10/12 - 12:32 am
Oh, and "And aren’t the

Oh, and "And aren’t the “general” media out of step? A large plurality of the country identifies itself as conservative rather than liberal (Gallup says 40 percent describe their views as conservative, while only 21 percent say they’re liberal)."

The free market should decide that. Figure out how the general media stays in business, and let me know.

For the record, the media in this country carries a lot of blame for the problems we have.

wtinney
wtinney 01/10/12 - 02:11 am
TParty, you and I agree

TParty, you and I agree except on this point: the free market is not a deciding factor as to how media portrays news and editorial within its operations. First, there is no free market in the United States. Taxpayers have been paying for liberal media operations for many, many years - both directly (NPR, bailout of the New York Times) and indirectly, through products bought and companies using proceeds to buy advertisements on liberal media to "look" fair for the Washington DC insiders. Second, given how media works today (and Neilson Ratings) it takes far, far fewer households, by percentage, to have a successful program (news included) than it did 50 years ago. Even though our populations have grown significantly during that time, viewership as well as readership of the liberal media has fallen drastically (mostly due to now online sources - even many of those are liberal). Still, the number 1 slots in the U.S. television market can be maintained with a few as 550,000 viewers. Given we have 310 million in our population and 270 million of that watching television regularly, that is a staggering low number. So, you can basically maintain CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. with little interest from the "free market" and it will never go away. Television, especially liberal media, does not go by the same survival of the fittest mantra that, of course, neutral or conservative-based shows will be measured by. Many backers like George Soros and Moveon.org would take losses in private media investments just to ensure "their" liberal ideology is spread (even to the few that watch just to get propped up confirmation of what they "want" to believe).

carcraft
carcraft 01/10/12 - 02:47 am
T-party, The quote from

T-party, The quote from Romney is taken out of context. Romney said something close to "I like firing people who don't provide me with good service"

carcraft
carcraft 01/10/12 - 02:47 am
The New York Slimes barely

The New York Slimes barely stays in business, the old gray whore is constantly on the verge of bankrupcy. The alphabet soup stations are more like the warm up for ET and Extra etc than really giveing any meaninful news coverage. People watch because they are waiting for the latest "news" on Boyance and Baby Blue (for those of us in health care that is scary). Oh well!

copperhead
copperhead 01/10/12 - 03:00 am
I will be glad when hussein

I will be glad when hussein issues the executive order making it illegal to be a republican.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/10/12 - 08:45 am
carcraft, this was bound to

carcraft, this was bound to happen. The Romney quote getting cut down to merely, "I like to fire people." I knew the liberal media would do it, but hate that Huntsman did as well. I heard the quote and it was as you said above. I think the whole government should like to "fire people" as it applies to lazy government employees, bureaucrats sitting in cubicles thinking up ways to put strains on America's small businesses, regulatory agencies constantly inventing more regs. to tie small businesses hands, etc. His comment in correct and full context may well be one of the best things he's said.

Techfan
Techfan 01/10/12 - 07:21 am
"The New York Slimes barely

"The New York Slimes barely stays in business, the old gray whore is constantly on the verge of bankrupcy(sic)" What's the bottom line on the AC? The MRC? Now that's a good one. Brent Bozell is a hack, bought and paid for by the corporations that fund his biased organizations.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/10/12 - 07:33 am
Hey, if they didn't say the

Hey, if they didn't say the mindless things they say, the "liberal" media, wouldn't have any ammo to divide them, but since they all love to see themselves on TV and try to add "value" to their candidacy, they do it, and then the media shows it. Nice way to try to call out the "media", ACES, but once again, you have shown failure in trying to find the true fault for the division of the Republican candidates.

Rhetor
Rhetor 01/10/12 - 07:39 am
First of all, this editorial

First of all, this editorial ignores the vicious attack ads that Republicans have been running against one another. The liberal media isn't manufacturing a thing, my friends; the Republicans are destroying one another in what has been described as a "circular firing squad." Worse yet, many of the horrifying accusations in their attack ads turn out to be true. Oh, well. Second, what is really going on is that the debates have revealed deep philosophical tensions within the Republicans' shaky coaltion. No libertarian, for example, would oppose gay marriage, abortion, or contraception. Indeed, while true lovers of liberty want to keep government out of people's lives, a dominant view in the Republican Party says that the government should not punish white-collar crime, securities frauds, etc., and, in fact, should not even tax the rich heavily, but should impose a narrow religious interpretation on our citizens and interfere with America's bedrooms. This self-contradictory, untenable and ultimately unprincipled position might, I fear, be the downfall of the GOP.

TParty
TParty 01/10/12 - 07:44 am
I just saw some clips where

I just saw some clips where Fox News was wondering why no one attacked Romney at the debates, so it's not just liberal media that wants a circus.

Also, the Romney wanting to fire people, taken out of context.... I think it's funny people are quick to defend that, and yet years later still retain the belief President Obama was not, or is not aware there are 50 states, instead he thinks there are 47.

A Fox News article talked about how Obama won more votes in the first two small towns that voted at midnight, for the NH primary, then any other candidate. This will happen for the entire country when it comes to the Presidential election unless Huntsman is the GOP nominee.

copperhead
copperhead 01/10/12 - 07:53 am
hussein will win by a

hussein will win by a landslide. It has already been decided. I'm putting 10,000 to 1 odds.(i know the guy that wrote the prigram)

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/10/12 - 08:11 am
wtinney: "Taxpayers have been

wtinney: "Taxpayers have been paying for liberal media operations for many, many years - both directly (NPR, bailout of the New York Times)..."

When was the New York Times bailed out? Got a link?

allhans
allhans 01/10/12 - 11:39 am
You can spot a liberal right

You can spot a liberal right off. He is the one supporting Huntsman.
Romney said Huntsman was part of the problem in creating the policy we have going with China that is so one-sided in China's favor - so leave it to the lieberals to take Huntsman's side when he falsely said it was because he "worked for Obama".

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/10/12 - 08:31 am
Disappointed liberals? MR

Disappointed liberals? MR must have been in Denial Land for the past 48 hours. Things are just now getting interesting for us libs as we watch the Republican candidates in New Hampshire demonize Mitt Romney. Finally, there's real blood in the water and the sharks are circling. The "mainstream liberal media" don't have to manufacture anything--just report what the candidates and their Super PACS are saying. Newt's Super PAC just got a $5 million injection and the money is being spent on a brutal video which will blanket South Carolina. The video is a thing of beauty. Used to be that conservatives called streamlining inefficient companies "trimming the fat," making businesses "lean and mean" to survive in the competitive free [sic] market. Now, in the Gingrich attack video, Romney and Bain Capital are portrayed as slavering monsters looting companies for personal profit, which somehow now is a horrible thing. What used to be "fat" is now struggling American workers, broken families, and homes they can no longer afford. What hypocrisy! Sorry MR, if you really ever believed the Republican candidates would remain civil towards each other, even with the proof of Romney's anti-Gingrich ads in Iowa proving otherwise, you are at bestself-deceived.

allhans
allhans 01/10/12 - 08:34 am
A poster on a different forum

A poster on a different forum said yesterday that Daley was let go so he could return to Chicao to dig up dead bodies for the Nov election.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/10/12 - 08:48 am
"lieberals", I like that

"lieberals", I like that allhans. Mind if I borrow it?

allhans
allhans 01/10/12 - 08:49 am
ac..it was actually a typo

ac..it was actually a typo that I decided to leave as is. Help yourself.

harley_52
harley_52 01/10/12 - 09:04 am
Have you ever noticed the

Have you ever noticed the wild applause these Republican candidates (most often Gingrich) get(s) when they fire back at the moderators who have asked a question that's unfair or attempting to trap the candidates into saying something they wish they hadn't said? Think about it....the crowds love it when these Candidates stand up like men and let it fly rather than [filtered word]-footing around and meekly responding to whatever the moderators throw their way.

I think there's a lesson to be learned for Republicans and I think it's a lesson not just for this election, but as a guide for dealing with these democrats who've learned they can win points by dealing in half-truths, obfuscation, and character assassination.

Get off the defense and take up the offense. Stop apologizing and attempting to explain why you aren't whatever the democrats just claimed you are. You're not a "racist" just because they've made the assertion you are. You don't want to see kids starve just because they've made that claim. Stop wasting time dealing with their false charges and start identifying them for what they really are.

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/10/12 - 09:09 am
Mitt Romney said he liked

Mitt Romney said he liked firing people who didn't provide good service. The Dems are running ads that take his words out of context. When asked about this on Fox News this morning, the DNC chair, Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL) would NOT answer the question, even when the video clearly showed that's exactly what they did. Typical liberal...ignore any question you don't like. In this case, I guess I can't blame them. They know Romney will likely bring Obama down in November. Yup, more "change" is coming, but the libs sure won't like it.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/10/12 - 09:17 am
harley, yes, it was

harley, yes, it was noticeable. These so called moderators (more like Palace Guards for President Obama) tried their best. Heck, David Gregory was so frustrated his neck vein was popping out.

bailmeout4
bailmeout4 01/10/12 - 09:18 am
Harley, great post. This

Harley, great post. This country needs to hear the candidates fire back, so the general public doesn't believe the garbage spewed by the liberal media.

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/10/12 - 09:28 am
Chillen
Chillen 01/10/12 - 09:51 am
This fine nation has been

This fine nation has been co-opted by the following groups:

Socialists
Marxists
Communists
Moochers
Entitled Lazy Individuals

They cheer a President who says he wants to make policies and decisions without Congresses approval (and he is doing it). They cheer a President who says he wants to spread the wealth around. They cheer a President who is more crooked than Tricky Dick.

We are in very serious trouble.

carcraft
carcraft 01/10/12 - 10:14 am
Tparty- The press has created

Tparty- The press has created the impression Republican canidates are dumb because they occasionally misspeak, yet continually ignore Obama's major flubs, Like when Obama said he had campaigned in all 57 states, or when Obama stuttered and stumbled around about an asthma "inhalator", or "breathalizer" because the teleprompter wasn't working, or talking about "honoring the long line of fallen heros many who are here before me" during a memorial day speach!

harley_52
harley_52 01/10/12 - 10:31 am
What's in a number? From the

What's in a number?

From the bible, Chapter 3 ( John), verse 16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

3.16 is Tim Tebow's favorite biblical verse. In Denver's recent stunning defeat of the Steelers Tim Tebow completed 316 passing yards. The average distance of his completed passes was 31.6 yards. Amazingly, the TV market share for the game in the 4th quarter was 31.6.

Some will try to argue it's simply a coincidence.

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/10/12 - 10:32 am
Newt Gingrich: Don't Quote Me

Newt Gingrich: Don't Quote Me On It

"I want to make sure every House Republican is protected from some kind of dishonest Democratic ad. So let me say on the record, any ad which quotes what I said on Sunday* is a falsehood, because I have publicly said those words were inaccurate and unfortunate."

Newt Gingrich on Newt Gingrich

*Newt Gingrich: Right-Wing Social Engineering, Bad

"I don't think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable than left wing social engineering. I don't think imposing radical change from the right or the left is a very good way for a free society to operate. I think we need a national conversation to get to a better Medicare system with more choices for seniors."

Newt Gingrich on Paul Ryan Budget via Meet the Press

Chillen
Chillen 01/10/12 - 10:37 am
I just browsed through some

I just browsed through some of the comments and I have a few observations.

Hunstman is the liberal's choice for candidates. Huntsman supporters are not real conservatives - they are liberals who have been deployed to try & sway the conservative opinion. Newsflash. It's not working. Look at the polls & stop wasting your time. Time to revise the liberal chat room agenda.

Carcaft - Don't forget the ever famous mainstream media-ignored obama gaffes - like not knowing what year it is when visiting England, corpse-man, not knowing his own daughters age, poking fun a special olympians and calling himself a muslim (freudian slip) to Stephanopoulos - who promptly "corrected" him.

Copperhead is right, the community organizer will probably win. If he does, it spells the beginning of the end for the USA. Oh yes, we can recover from just one mad marxist's rule (though it would take years), but we cannot recover from the types of individuals who vote for him. We have reached the point in the USA where the communists, the socialists, the moonbats and the moochers have greater numbers than the freedom loving producers of this nation. That will cause the death of any Free Republic. Prepare for this my friends.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 01/10/12 - 10:40 am
"a group of left-leaning

"a group of left-leaning observers wholly disappointed that Republicans hadn’t cannibalized each other or beheaded the frontrunner." I wonder if MR and the rest of the ACES would care to comment on what the Republican candidates have been saying in speeches, press interviews, and especially Super PAC sponsored tv spots during the past 48 hours? "Cannibalize each other," "behead the frontrunner"? You bet, and it's hard to blame any of it on the "liberal mainstream media." The most savage attacks are coming from Newt Gingrich, whose Super PAC, freshly flush with a late $5 million donation, is brutalizing Romney. Liberals are not twisting Newt's arm to say what he is saying, and we libs truly do enjoy remembering Newt's predator capitalism attacks on Romney are indistinguishable from Ted Kennedy's against Romney whom he defeated in their Senate race. What irony could be more delicious, Newt Gingrich parroting Ted Kennedy? Want more irony? How's this: conservatives used to defend corporate raiding as the purest form of capitalism, "cutting the fat" so leaner and meaner companies could fare better in a competitive free market. Now, according to Newt, that "fat" has all of a sudden become real peoples' jobs, family security, and homes. And Romney, the capitalist wonder man has become a slavering monster seeking to make money for himself and his investors by devouring defenseless businesses. If you think the Republican candidates have turned ugly in New Hampshire, just wait until they all get to South Carolina. Any "disappointment" ACES wistfully hoped libs had until Sunday in New Hampshire will by the end of this week have turned to glee in South Carolina!

skeptic griggsy
skeptic griggsy 01/10/12 - 10:44 am
Grieve and weep! Yes, Obama

Grieve and weep! Yes, Obama cares!
You reactionaries can't stand progress- from Edmund Burke to Herbert Spencer to Sarah Palin, you lose in the long run!
After Obama's second term, will the next president be a Democrat?
As a member of the Coffee Party, I call for civility.