A 'destruction of words'

Obama's recollection of his Israel policy doesn't match the record

“It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”

– character in George Orwell’s 1984

The destruction of words – in Orwellian terms, Newspeak – is the only way one can characterize this president’s claim regarding his policies toward Israel:

“I try not to pat myself too much on the back, but this administration has done more in terms of the security of the state of Israel than any previous administration.”

It’s quite the opposite, really.

“This is really chutzpah,” says syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer. “This president has done more to de-legitimize and undermine Israel’s position in the world than any other president, and he did it by arriving on the scene and ... demanding of Israel a freeze on settlements, including the building of Jewish homes in the Jewish quarter of Jerusalem of all places, something that had never been a precondition in 17 years of negotiations.

“Of course, the Palestinians had to insist on it as well, once the president had, and that destroyed all negotiations, and it made Israel the fall guy for an era – an era of an arrogant amateur who imposed this at the beginning of his term. As a result there are no negotiations.”

Then there’s Iran, he says, the biggest threat to Israel.

“This is a president who – at a time of maximum weakness of the mullahs in 2009 – did not lift a finger to help the revolution (in Iran) because he had another delusion that if he engaged and negotiated with the mullahs he could sweet talk Iran out of its weapons. The policy is a failure. He knows it. And we are on the threshold of Iran becoming a nuclear power.”

“Well, I thought it was kind of a tall claim,” Washington Post editorial writer Charles Lane politely added.

“That would be great news, if it were true,” Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said pointedly. “Unfortunately, under the Obama administration, U.S.-Israeli relations have hit a low not seen since the Jimmy Carter years.”

Moreover, the president openly called on Israel to return to its pre-1967 borders, which was perhaps the worst maneuver in modern diplomatic negotiations, essentially taking that chip out of Israel’s stack. And his reported treatment of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is shocking.

To then claim, when he wants Jewish votes and contributions, that, “Obviously, no ally is more important than the state of Israel,” is a sickening destruction of words.

avidreader
avidreader 12/12/11 - 06:39 am
Does Israel have a GNP? I'm

Does Israel have a GNP? I'm serious; I am not in tune with Israel as a nation except for knowledge of their constant disputes with their bordering neighbors. I guess I'll goggle my question.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 12/12/11 - 08:02 am
Tell the truth; is your

Tell the truth; is your Israel position based on anything more than the perceived supremacy of Judeo-Christian heritage? Does anyone really deserve an ethnic homeland, and does it square with the American way to support any, let alone one above another? Does the sanctity of property rights end with our borders?

This, of course, is aside from Netanyahu's own words of appreciation for a cooperative Obama administration, which you could easily find, if you were actually in the business of objective and investigative journalism.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 08:36 am
What gets me is American Jews

What gets me is American Jews will still vote overwhelmingly Democratic, despite the conversation where Sarkozy called Netanyahu a liar and Obama said, "You're fed up with him, but I have to deal with him even more often than you."

If Obama wins again and let's his true colors surface regarding the Israelis and Arabs, American Jews will be asking themselves why they supported him.

TParty
TParty 12/12/11 - 08:50 am
I've never understood why we

I've never understood why we put Israel up on a pedal stool, and defame anyone who criticizes that nation.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 08:54 am
Jon Lester wrote: Does the

Jon Lester wrote:

Does the sanctity of property rights end with our borders?

No. And it does not end with Israel's borders, either.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 09:28 am
LL...ha. Ain't that the

LL...ha. Ain't that the truth.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/12/11 - 09:46 am
bjphysics
bjphysics 12/12/11 - 10:00 am
“CNSNews.com (or Cybercast

“CNSNews.com (or Cybercast News Service), formerly called the Conservative News Service…”

faithson
faithson 12/12/11 - 10:04 am
Israel is the only country in

Israel is the only country in the world America gives foreign aid to that is not encumbered with 'use of funds'. We actually write a check to them and they deposit it into there general account to use as they seem fit. At around 2 billion a year, that's a nice sugar daddy. Ever wonder why those middle eastern countries look at America with such contempt...

follower 12/12/11 - 10:09 am
yeah, 2 billion a year to

allhans
allhans 12/12/11 - 10:11 am
Israel also watches our back

Israel also watches our back in the area, which is invaluable. We have lost enough of our allies..Obama, following the master plan, would now rid us of our most trusted ally.

harley_52
harley_52 12/12/11 - 11:07 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 11:29 am
Follower said, "yeah, 2

Follower said, "yeah, 2 billion a year to Israel, and a couple of billion a day to the Arab countries for oil. How could we so mistreat the Arabs?"

I'm a supporter of Israel, but the problem with that statement is we BUY oil from the Arabs, but we GIVE the $2 billion to Israel. That is unless they supply Congress with lots of knishes that I don't know about.

TParty
TParty 12/12/11 - 12:03 pm
Yep, pedestal. It was early

Yep, pedestal. It was early when I wrote that. My question still stands. Why all the blind love and allegiance to that nation?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/12/11 - 12:32 pm
Why DO we support Israel this

Why DO we support Israel this way?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 12:38 pm
To prevent the annihilation

To prevent the annihilation of Israel by the Arabs.

Jane18
Jane18 12/12/11 - 12:39 pm
To TParty: Because that

To TParty: Because that little nation is made up of two tribes(families) of Jacob(name changed later by GOD to Israel). As you know there were twelve of these families(sons), ten were taken captive by the Assyrian, and later released. These ten northern tribes are what everyone calls the "Ten Lost Tribes of Israel". Some of us are not lost, we know who our forefathers were, and we know Judah(from where the title Jewish comes from), are our brothers and sisters. Before anyone asks, the twelfth family was Benjamin, smaller and with Judah. "Why the blind love and allegiance?" Wouldn't you have that for your family too?

TParty
TParty 12/12/11 - 12:43 pm
Jane18. That is crazy. I do

Jane18. That is crazy. I do not want my tax dollars, or any American tax dollars going towards that crazy. Donate if it's your family and you believe that. Don't force this nation.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 12:48 pm
I'm sure all of us have

I'm sure all of us have disagreements about how Congress spends our tax money, TParty. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I'd like to see our entitlements cut back at home before cutting back on foreign aid to Israel.

burninater
burninater 12/12/11 - 12:52 pm
"Why the blind love and

------
Of course that's it. The neutral stance on the Holocaust until Japan pulled us into WWII? Just a little tough love.

TParty
TParty 12/12/11 - 12:58 pm
I've never understood that,

I've never understood that, Little Lamb- maybe you could articulate your position. I'd much rather take care of Americans, give American entitlements with American dollars, before giving to any other nation. I understand the importance of aid to other nations, the diplomacy helps with preventing war and strengthening alliances. I just wonder what Israel has does for us. How many soldiers have they sent to Iraq or Afghanistan these past ten years? Does Israel make iPads, or produce oil? Can it be solely based on what Jane18 said, some book said there are two tribes in that area?

allhans
allhans 12/12/11 - 01:12 pm
There are things going on in

There are things going on in this world that is hidden from us. We don't know just what the advantages are by have a friend in that area. Covert operations, paid mercenaries, contractors by the thousands are spread around and we need bases for these guys to operate from - Israel happens to be one of them.
Reports are that around 20,000 civilian contractors will be left in Iraq after our troops leave. At what cost? More than the 2B? And no, they ain't building bridges!

harley_52
harley_52 12/12/11 - 01:25 pm
Brad Owens asked "Why DO we

Brad Owens asked "Why DO we support Israel this way?"

Here's one man's view.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/11 - 02:07 pm
TParty wrote, “I'd much

TParty wrote, “I'd much rather . . . .”

My point is that Congress does not care about you or about me and our “druthers.”

TParty
TParty 12/12/11 - 02:13 pm
Little Lamb- I missed that

Little Lamb-

I missed that point, and you're right. Add to my pedal stool this morning, I'm going to take a day off and find a way to restart my brain! Enjoy everyone!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/11 - 02:19 pm
I believe most Americans

I believe most Americans support Israel because we're realists. The Mideast is a vital region with its oil. If necessary, Israel will be our surrogate controlling the entire region. We know that, Israel knows that, and unfortunately, the Arabs do too.

harley_52
harley_52 12/12/11 - 05:40 pm
Personally, I support Israel

Personally, I support Israel because I understand Islam enough to appreciate what they face and enough to understand we're in the same boat right along with them.

I also understand enough about their history to know what has happened to Jews for centuries, leading up to WWII and Hitler.

I have great admiration for the Israelis as a people and am proud of our support and proud that we have chosen to honor our treaties with them although I'm ashamed at the way they've been treated under the current Administration.

It is my personal opinion that Bebe Netanyahu has more of the personal traits and characteristics that make a truly great leader in his little finger than Obama has in his entire body and I pray we'll soon have a new President that will join with Israel in their fight for survival, not subvert their efforts as Obama has done.

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/12/11 - 05:51 pm
I agree that Netanyahu is a

I agree that Netanyahu is a courageous man. I have liked him since his days in the military and often said it was too bad we couldn't have a man/woman cut from the same bolt of cloth for our POTUS. We certainly haven't in my lifetime.

harley_52
harley_52 12/12/11 - 08:33 pm
RunningMan
RunningMan 12/12/11 - 09:28 pm
Sometimes tough love is

Sometimes tough love is necessary to move forward. We simply cannot continue along the same path for the next 5, 10, 20 years. Its time for both sides to act like adults and find a way to make this work for the good of all. I am sure that is all the POTUS is accomplish.

Upscale addiction treatment facility opens

The facility off Bennock Mill Road is a cutting-edge residential addiction treatment facility, combining evidence-based treatment and wellness approaches like diet and personalized exercise ...