Done in by doubt

Women's allegations were too much for the Cain campaign

“I’m not going to allow this sort of thing to cause me to drop out simply because it’s tough on me.”

– Herman Cain on Nov. 28, before he dropped out Saturday

If it were only about him, and if the first woman is lying and if the second woman is lying and if the third woman is lying and if the fourth woman is lying and if the fifth woman is lying, the above sentiment might be admirable. The defiance of the human spirit can be a beautiful thing.

But you know, those are an awful lot of ifs.

And though we realize one must have an outsized ego to pursue the presidency, his statement that he wouldn’t drop out “simply because it’s tough on me” ignores the very relevant little nugget that presidential campaigns are never just about the candidate. When Mr. Cain entered this race and began asking supporters to put their faith, and perhaps their hard-earned dollars, in his hands, he owed them this much: He owed them a closet with fewer possible skeletons.

Rarely has a leading presidential candidate been taken down by the sheer force of doubt alone.

But what the media once disparagingly called “bimbo eruptions” – a term that not-so-subtly blamed the women for Democrat Bill Clinton’s famous philandering – simply cast too thick a cloud of nagging hesitation around the surprising Cain campaign.

We may never know the truth about the allegations, unless the handful of women in the Cain case can come up with more evidence of their claims. But even with doubts about the virtues of these women, their numbers had grown imposing in the background – and their stories largely uncontroverted.

We share Cain’s attorney’s contempt for how the media happily zeroed in on Cain and seemed to require him to disprove the allegations – rather than requiring some sort of corroboration from the accusers. That’s a pretty dangerous standard.

And speaking of standards, weren’t we told in the 1990s – when the president was cavorting with an intern in the White House itself – that one’s private behavior had nothing to do with one’s public job?

It’s also sadly amusing to note the feeding frenzy that accompanied the Cain mutiny – particularly in light of the media’s near-total disinterest in Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards’ verifiable peccadilloes in 2008, which included a love child with a campaign aide. It took the National Enquirer trapping Edwards in a hotel bathroom during an apparent visitation with the child to prod the other media awake.

“The Enquirer persevered,” Newsweek later noted, with no sense of irony.

But in the end, it was the doubts that did in Mr. Cain,
and not just about the women. Cain, an accomplished businessman but a political novice, also had a few “Rick Perry” moments on the trail, including total
confusion over the Libya issue and an ignorance of the Palestinian “right of return.” As a neophyte and outsider, Cain had sentimental appeal, but his newcomer status required that he show more acumen than he did.

And, of course, it necessitated a distinct lack of skeletons.

TParty
TParty 12/06/11 - 12:54 am
I think it's funny people

I think it's funny people want proof of Cain's actions, when some women have been paid for their silence. And didn't the woman Cain had an affair with for 13 years, didn't she provide phone records, text messages, gifts and even money? I guess the media is bad for reporting these kind of things...

Oh, and about John Edwards. He is a terrible human being, and no one is defending him. When ACES says "It took the National Enquirer trapping Edwards in a hotel bathroom during an apparent visitation with the child to prod the other media awake." what they mean is, no one knew of it until National Enquirer broke the story. It's not like AC was reporting on John Edwards before the National Enquirer, I wonder if AC is part of the biased liberal media.

Have we forgot how hard the media went after Gov. Schwarzenegger, or Rep. Weiner for their private time? America loves a sex scandal, that's all.

What I find sad about all of this is that it was an affair that brought Cain's run to an end, which is not illegal, and like ACES said, that one’s private behavior had nothing to do with one’s public job. It's scary that people supported and would vote for a commander in chief whose famous idea of 9-9-9 meant raising taxes on 84% of Americans. That a Commander in Chief could have zero knowledge on anything foreign. Go watch his Libya interview, instant classic, and his retorts afterwards, saying 999 when asked about foreign policy.

Cain ran as a joke, I called it here a long time ago. His aim was to promote himself to sell more of Cain and his books, and he tried everything he could to get out of the race. Just watch his campaign ads, then realize he never ran a campaign because he had no teams anywhere.

Bruno
Bruno 12/06/11 - 06:03 am
Phone calls, text messages

Phone calls, text messages and even gifts and money do not automatically mean a sexual affair. Most people know that many times lawsuits are settled with no admission of guilt simply because it is cheaper in the long run. There has been know substantial evidence that Cain had an affair or affairs. That being said, he is out of the race so why do we still care?

Rhetor
Rhetor 12/06/11 - 07:30 am
OK, I agree the allegations

OK, I agree the allegations about Cain's personal life remained unproven, although the proof (travel payments, gifts, hotel payments, etc.) was much better than what the ACES admits. What's ironic is that the silly Republicans weren't much bothered by Cain's crushing ignorance, to which ACES briefly alludes at the end of this editorial. Democrats, who of course had no say in Cain's candidacy, didn't much care about Cain's private life, although they were horrified that he knew so little about public life. In fact, of course, few of the Republican candidates know as much about civic life as a reasonably competent sixth grader. Indeed, in the twisted minds of the Tea Party crowd, ignorance seems to be a virtue, not a vice. I'm sure that there must be many qualified, intelligent, sober-minded Republicans who would make decent presidents, but the Norquist crowd and Tea Party fools, who constitute the Republican core, are unwilling to tolerate any of them. Republicans still face their basic dilemma: the Republican Party's fruitcake core wants to nominate a Tom-fool fruitcake who can gain the votes of people who aren't fruitcakes. Good luck with that.

robaroo
robaroo 12/06/11 - 07:51 am
I'm pretty certain it was the

I'm pretty certain it was the Republicans that leaked the information to the media. Here's why:

Months before the primaries, Herman Cain was leading in the polls. The party leadership did their homework and found an issue that might be trouble. The last thing they want is an issue after a candidate has already been selected.

So, the Republican leadership leaks the information now, before the primaries. If "bimbo eruptions" turn out to be a problem, their party faithful knows about it early. If it's not a problem, everybody keeps on going.

southernguy08
southernguy08 12/06/11 - 08:18 am
RHETOR, were the "silly

RHETOR, were the "silly Democrats" bothered by Obama in 2008 when he made his "57 states" remark? Of course, that's mild compared to the incompetence he's shown as president.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/06/11 - 08:25 am
I know what happened to

I know what happened to Herman Cain. He disrespected Austin Rhodes by not saying his radio career began on his show. Austin decided to destroy him.... Well, that's how I hear someone is telling it anyway. Heh.

curly123053
curly123053 12/06/11 - 08:33 am
Shame on you Austin..........

Shame on you Austin..........

TParty
TParty 12/06/11 - 08:36 am
Rhetor- "What's ironic is

Rhetor-

"What's ironic is that the silly Republicans weren't much bothered by Cain's crushing ignorance, to which ACES briefly alludes at the end of this editorial."

I'll agree to this, but not much else. It's not the Tea Party that embarrasses ignorance, although I will say it's the average American. It's the lazy media that focuses on people like Cain, Palin, and other clowns. It's the reason Trump, a reality tv show guy, is going to moderate the next debate. There is money in this circus, it's the reason why Trump does reality tv shows, and you see so much of it on tv. Taking shortcuts to make cash, for the common denominator. Cheap and easy reality tv. Cheap and easy media. It's easier and brings in more viewers to ask Cain sexual questions. Has anyone mentioned the work being done by 60 minutes recently, about Congress Insider trading, and all the corruption and fraud from banks and wall street that collapsed the economy? Probably not, because it's not easy to take all of it in and comment on, because it is difficult to understand if all you know about finance is how to check your bank account. We do understand twitter and pictures though, and cheating politicians. What fun!

It's not the tea party that keeps dumb people in the spotlight, it's the media.

I have no proof of this, but it's the reason I believe Huntsman and Paul are being ignored by the media, because it's difficult to check on their facts about foreign policy, and it's no fun when they don't flip flop and make mistakes. All of this will challenge Obama. The media is trying to pick someone silly, who Obama can beat easily. Newt is the flavor of the week right now.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 12/06/11 - 08:43 am
The national obsession with

The national obsession with sex is so two-faced, it really is difficult to reason. But I think I have it figured out. The power of the media has become the guillotine used to lop heads, and the biggest crowds show up to judge when they hear SEX! There is something kinky about knowing the details of a public craving celebrity that exposed their humanity. We can't afford to allow other humans to take positions of authority over us. That would be masochistic. Off with their heads.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 12/06/11 - 09:16 am
I totally agree with TParty.

I totally agree with TParty. Cain's whole campaign was a joke, including his theatric public appearances. Sadly, Cain created the his "holy, wise" persona but when it came down to facts, ideals, and morals, it was shown (by the Democrats, as he claims) that he was not all the he appeared to be. When will we get a politician that doesn't say one thing and do another, or comdemn something, then turn around and do it, him or her, self.

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever, in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else, where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all." --Thomas Jefferson

Such wise words.........

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/06/11 - 09:47 am
I like this, it's NOT Cain's

Duplicitous conservative positions on sex scandals are awesome.

agustinian
agustinian 12/06/11 - 09:54 am
There's an old saying: When

There's an old saying:
When three people say you are drunk -- lie down.

Goodnight, Herman.

harley_52
harley_52 12/06/11 - 10:05 am
Brad Owens said "I like this,

Brad Owens said "I like this, it's NOT Cain's fault. It's these women with spotty "virtues" who have not shown absolute "proof" that they were paid off because of Cain's lust."

Is that your opinion? I didn't see any of that in this Editorial. My take from the Editorial is that there were too many "ifs" with Cain and that he didn't perform well in some dealings with the Press.

Then he said "Oh well, I guess when a woman is volated it only becomes rape if she was not asking for it by being dresses a certain way or a virgin right?"

Where's that from? Who said that? Did you invent it to make a point?

"Duplicitous conservative positions on sex scandals are awesome."

That's a hoot. With the Kennedys and the Clintons as liberal icons you choose to indict Conservatives for having "duplicitous" positions on sex scandals.

Awesome.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/06/11 - 10:16 am
One of the truisms in life is

One of the truisms in life is that it is impossible to prove a negative. When the bimbos made their allegations, they could then slink away and let the place stink up. Cain can not prove that he did not make unwanted sexual advances or that he did not have sexual relations with Ms. White.

He now is in the unenviable position of whether to try and get the accusers to prove their allegations. He probably will not try. One approach would be to sue for libel and take them to court. Once in court, the woman would have to prove her allegation with some tangible proof or Cain would win the judgment.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/06/11 - 10:30 am
Good morning , Harley. WE are

Good morning , Harley. WE are back on a subject that we can agree upon.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/06/11 - 10:32 am
Little Lamb, I am not an

Little Lamb, I am not an attorney but I believe that politicians are fair game for slander.

harley_52
harley_52 12/06/11 - 10:33 am
He's toast. We will probably

He's toast. We will probably never know if any of the allegations were true. But we do know that none of the charges were made public before he ran for President.

harley_52
harley_52 12/06/11 - 10:36 am
Good morning, scoobydo, and

Good morning, scoobydo, and to everyone else as well.

Chillen
Chillen 12/06/11 - 10:46 am
Herman Cain was done in by

Herman Cain was done in by the political machine. I'm sure he never in his wildest imagination saw this coming. The establishment parties are vicious, powerful and corrupt. They will stop at nothing to keep the status quo - which is bad for American citizens.

TParty
TParty 12/06/11 - 11:41 am
Too many ifs? How many

Too many ifs? How many settlements are there about sexual harassment? Anyone else on this board ever settle sexual harassment claims, without harassing someone?

And this woman of 13 years? Is that not enough?

He likes woman, that's okay. The problem lies with him not knowing anything.

harley_52
harley_52 12/06/11 - 12:07 pm
There may be too many "ifs"

There may be too many "ifs" with Cain, but not with Obama.

Chillen
Chillen 12/06/11 - 12:07 pm
The NRA (where many of these

The NRA (where many of these women came from) has a history/reputation for having a climate conducive to sexual harassment. Not just towards Mr. Cain, towards MANY.

Several of Cain's accusers have a past of making accusations and suing in their past.

I say he's probably guilty of something, but not to the extent of what is being portrayed.

I also say "so what". Is he that different from Bill Clinton? Well, actually he is, Clinton has been accused of rape and is also suspected in the murder of people surrounding his shady land investments.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 12/06/11 - 12:18 pm
If he were a Democrat this

If he were a Democrat this would be a resume' enhancer....

harley_52
harley_52 12/06/11 - 12:28 pm
Clinton was impeached. Only

Clinton was impeached. Only two Presidents have been impeached in the entire history of the United States. Clinton in 1998 and Andrew Johnson in 1868. Both were democrats.

Clinton was impeached not for having sex, or even having forcible sex, but for lying to a Federal Grand Jury. Even after being impeached, the Senate gave him a pass and allowed him to remain in office. There were no "ifs" about Clinton's sexual escapades, at least not after the semen stained blue dress was presented as evidence.

harley_52
harley_52 12/06/11 - 12:34 pm
CorporalGripweed said "If he

CorporalGripweed said "If he were a Democrat this would be a resume' enhancer"

That's for sure. You need look no further than Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton for all the proof needed.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/06/11 - 01:35 pm
Harley said; That's for sure.

Harley said;

You forgot big brother , Jack, as well as Bobby. The Kennedys had it in their genes. Father Joe, so I have heard ,was a swordsman to be jealous of.

harley_52
harley_52 12/06/11 - 01:52 pm
In yet another instance of

In yet another instance of raging tyranny, the Obama Administration has announced that all foreign aid and assistance will be predicated upon the receiving nation's record as regards homosexual rights.

Here we have my government deciding to spend my tax dollars to promote behavior with which I totally disagree.

And let me add this....if you think muslim nations are going to stand by and see our foreign aid cut or stopped unless they get on board with supporting the homosexual agenda I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

allhans
allhans 12/06/11 - 01:58 pm
I'm not surprised at all that

I'm not surprised at all that Obama is supporting gay relations. Just as supporting abortions, it is his way of decreasing the undesirables. He is making no secret of his intentions even though his supporters refuse to accept what he is trying to tell them. Big labor and the media approves so it must be okay.

allhans
allhans 12/06/11 - 02:01 pm
I was never a Cain fan but I

I was never a Cain fan but I would like to see some of the evidence that some are saying the women have. All I have heard about is dates and numbers on 1(one) woman's phone bill.

harley_52
harley_52 12/06/11 - 02:05 pm
Short of dropping a nuclear

Short of dropping a nuclear bomb on a friendly nation, I can't think of a bigger foreign policy mistake than the one I just linked. Islam hates homosexuals at least as much as Jews and Christians and for us to announce our support for them is so intense that we will make it a determinant of who we support will fuel an already raging fire amongst the muslims, giving the radicals all the ammunition they need to recruit more support to kill more American infidels.

As usual, I simply cannot believe this "mistake" was made by accident and so I must assume they have purposefully poked the hornets nest with a stick because they want to be sure the "Arab Spring" is really a swarm.