Mourning civility

On Black Friday shopping day, materialism tramples holiday good will

Black Friday is aptly named. It’s getting to the point where it needs to be mourned.

While we appreciate the economic vitality it represents, the rampant materialism is getting out of hand, and people are getting hurt. It’s become a national embarrassment.

Some shoppers in a South Charleston, W.Va., store ignored, and reportedly walked over, a man dying of a heart attack. A woman in a Los Angeles-area store pepper sprayed some 20 other shoppers to claim an Xbox video game. In the Phoenix area, a grandfather was reportedly slammed by security officers face first to a store’s concrete floor after he apparently slipped a product in his waistband to grab his grandson, who was being trampled.

“You literally would’ve thought there was the cure for cancer in this box,” one witness said of the madness leading to the grandpa-slamming. “I mean, people were going insane.”

In Kinston, N.C., security officers used pepper spray to keep shoppers at bay. According to Reuters, “In Manhattan, a group of shoppers upset that Hollister’s flagship store was not opening at midnight like other locations apparently broke into the store and stole a large quantity of clothing, police said.”

Again, we celebrate the vitality of it all – sales over the four-day holiday weekend were up 16 percent from last year, says the National Retail Federation. We long for a booming economy and a return to robust consumer confidence.

But we need to be careful about the price we pay. Getting a great deal on the latest gadget isn’t worth getting hurt or selling one’s soul. Indeed, as radio host Laura Ingraham noted Monday, the reason for the season isn’t saving a few bucks, but rather being saved.

It’s hard to see that through pepper spray.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/29/11 - 11:05 pm
People who would otherwise be

People who would otherwise be considered normal in every way turn into glassy eyed animals when you mix shopping/sale/early morning hours.
I can't imagine what folks would act like if there were a food shortage (God forbid) and a bunch of these nuts went after say "the last potato".

Black Mamba
Black Mamba 11/29/11 - 11:33 pm
This is the America we now

This is the America we now live in, we wonder why were in debt. Materialism is our new religion, and our dealer China is pumping us up good with the fix we so desperately need. Video games, Tvs, computers, cell phones, fancy shoes, ipods, we need these, we need em bad man. Well hurt each other and often kill each other for them. For Junk, plastic, temporary pieces of crap. A new generation of young people, know nothing but are the new leaders of our society. The same kids that have grown up listening to rap telling them the car you drive, the gold you wear, the clothes you have make you or break you. Its pathetic, we need to get control of this monster. Thousands of kids are hungry in the US, living below the poverty line they say. I call BS, its cell phones and TVs and other crap that are priorities. Sad state of affairs.

Next Black Friday Walmart should do the right thing next time and hand out free stun guns, machetes, bats, knives and nunchucks to everyone at the door, and whoever survives the carnage get's whatever they can carry out for FREE. They can call it, Black Death Friday and put it all on Pay Per View.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/30/11 - 02:44 am
Such acquisitive frenzy is

Such acquisitive frenzy is certainly beyond the Pavlovian. Certainly not I think, therefore, I am. But, more likely, I am what I acquire.

Materialism in one of its most egregious manifestations.

What did Karol Wotija have to say about rampant materialism?

desertcat6
desertcat6 11/30/11 - 02:54 am
I'm glad my family stayed

I'm glad my family stayed away from the madness and enjoyed the day together.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/30/11 - 06:51 am
I like the Kinston, NC

I like the Kinston, NC technique where the police at the Walmart (that's funny right there) sprayed those waiting in line with pepper spray. These silly people need to be subjected to pepper spray, fire hoses, dashed in honey and bees turned loose and any other thing we can think of. Kind of a survivor type wait in line. Sane people need some entertainment, too, and watching this would be almost as good as being in the audience of a live Jerry Springer Show.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 11/30/11 - 07:04 am
I shot an 85 on Black Friday.

I shot an 85 on Black Friday. It was one of the best weather Thanksgiving weekends I can remember and I spent all four days outside. Well except for Saturday. Saw a little football that day.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/30/11 - 07:08 am
My son and I spent a

My son and I spent a beautiful day on a full, sparkling river enjoying temperatures that were perfect with a cloudless, blue sky with a wind that made Deep Step, a safe haven for hours of pleasure until he broke his $200 fly rod. But what the heck. It was worth it.

Chillen
Chillen 11/30/11 - 08:28 am
What has happened? The

What has happened? The Progressive mindset has taken over.

The media & entertainment industry (Jerry Springer, Mean Girls), the internet (cyber bullying, blogs), single parent household (yes, some work, most don't), cell phones (texting, using it while driving, videos of everything on You Tube) & greedy politicians (who pick pocket one group & give to another who is unwilling to work), parents - whose little Johnny can do "no wrong" and last but not least slimy politicians who continually pit one group against another (obama).

Add to all of that a failing economy and you have a recipe for what we see today. As a whole, we have turned into a Self-Centered, Godless, Moral-less, Uncaring society. When the progressives and the communists took over our media & entertainment industry, it was bound to happen.

Fortunately there are still good people out there, they are just rapidly disappearing like the dinosaurs.

Our challenge is to repair this. To bring up our children right. To not have children until we are mentally & financially able to care for them. To teach them values, morals, hard work, discipline. Charity should come from the heart, not from the government.

Things are changing in America. Not for the better. We must fix this.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 12:51 pm
I really hate to say this

I really hate to say this ,Chilen, but you are dead right with your comment.
It saddens me to think that I will be leaving this world with the shape that it is in. I owe it to my grandchildren(6) and my great grandchildren(5) to a better life than they will have.

harley_52
harley_52 11/30/11 - 01:06 pm
You did your part, scoobydo.

You did your part, scoobydo. One man can't do it all. What gets me is how easy it's been for some of us to see what's coming and that some remain in denial, even as the ship is going down.

Besides, I still have a little hope. I keep telling myself that people are going to wake up in time to turn things around, but then I smack myself in the forehead and remind myself that these are liberals we're dealing with here who believe neither in history, nor God, nor the U.S. Constitution, nor Capitalism, nor common sense.

We're toast. What the hay was I thinking?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/30/11 - 01:10 pm
Chillen, I completely agree

Chillen, I completely agree with you.

Scoobydo, my impression is your legacy is one of love, faithfullness, and obedience to Christ. So have heart and hope, we are guaranteed that it will not wasted, regardless of the ill choices of others. Even though, we, also have not lived perfectly... Isn't that such wonderful news?!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/30/11 - 01:49 pm
harley, all we have is our

harley, all we have is our own part. God is still in control, no matter who sits in that oval office. Truly our best defence is lots of prayer. We must seriously pray for the nation and the world. If you look at Old Testament scripture, they always prayed BEFORE the battle and God was faithful to deliver His people. He's the same God and He is still more able and powerful than we can comprehend. We are fighting many physical and economical battles, but the invisible one, is the one we should fear the most.

harley_52
harley_52 11/30/11 - 01:52 pm
Very well said, Willow. We'd

Very well said, Willow. We'd all be a lot better off if we thought about that more often.

stillamazed
stillamazed 11/30/11 - 01:59 pm
I love your post chillen. I

I love your post chillen. I was reading the article earlier about teaching abstinence is not working in schools and I remarked how can it when our children are bombarded with sex everyday. TV and the media teaches our young people to have no morals. As aging parents and grandparents all we can do is continue to teach ours good values and hope that they will learn from us and not what they see in Hollywood and on TV. If we are lucky and blessed they will continue on to teach theirs and as for the rest of the world all we can do is pray for them.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 02:16 pm
stillamazed said TV and the

stillamazed said
TV and the media teaches our young people to have no morals.
My response: So true. I can remember an outfit called the Hays office. They were a group established by the movie industry to review the content of all movies and to have changes made when inappropiate material was included. It wasn't censorship as it was not a government agency and the movie makers were not required to follow their recomendations. For the most part it was done, however. Parents did not have to worry about what their children were seeing at the movies as they knew that they were clean. There was no rating system as it was not needed. At the advent of TV it was also clean but time and public demand caused that to change. With TV offering filth the movie industry had to do it also to remain competitive. As a result the Hays group disappeared.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 02:22 pm
Thank you Willow and Harley.

Thank you Willow and Harley. I think my generation, for the most part tried to maintain a high level of morals. We failed somewhere along the line ,however, as the generations that have followed us have, to a large part, lost that sense of morality so we did not teach them properly or that would not have happened.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/30/11 - 02:50 pm
scoobydo, what you are

scoobydo, what you are describing is living in the cycle of capitivity of sin's bondage. It is frightening, because we have no control over it and fear so much for those we love. It helps me to remember there has been no perfect society, and there never will be one on this earth. God is going to bless your faithfulness and mine, whether we get to see it lived out on this earth or not. He has already told us this sinful world will come to an end and a new one is coming. Pray, scoobydo, pray and pray for your family, for this generation and those following. Prayer, and modelling right living before them is all that will be required from us. And always remember, right, is different from perfect. It's okay that we made mistakes, God is in the redemption and restoration business.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 03:19 pm
Willow, I already do as you

Willow, I already do as you suggests but I will step up the frequency in the future.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 03:41 pm
RM1, I just read your comment

RM1, I just read your comment for the first time. Taking your son fishing gives you the opportunity on a one on one basis to teach him the principles that are important to you. My son and I were never fisherman but I took other opportunities to impress upon him the importance of a moral lifestyle. I congratulate you for spending time with him. You will never regret it.

Vito45
Vito45 11/30/11 - 03:41 pm
"We failed somewhere along

"We failed somewhere along the line ,however, as the generations that have followed us have, to a large part, lost that sense of morality so we did not teach them properly or that would not have happened."

Chillen
Chillen 11/30/11 - 03:46 pm
Thanks for the kind words

Thanks for the kind words everyone. We are clearly preaching to the choir with each other.

Oddly, I notice a stark lack of liberals commenting on this editorial today. Could it be?......Nah.

Here is a song that is on the radio ALL THE TIME. I flip the station quickly when it comes on (and it does frequently on our local stations!). Listen to the whole thing - in privacy - without kids present (though I'm sure they've heard it).

Here are the written lyrics so you can follow along as you listen - you will not believe them.

put www. in front of this address.

elyricsworld.com/dancing_in_the_dark_lyrics_dev.html

This is a huge part of the problem my friends. Your children and grandchildren are listening. To THIS!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/30/11 - 03:48 pm
@Vito..."No, you did not

@Vito..."No, you did not fail. Society has been contaminated by forces greater than parental guidance, and it has largely occurred since 1960."

There is one single event that took place in 1962 that has indeed changed the direction of this nation.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 04:23 pm
Vito, I am curious. What took

Vito, I am curious. What took place in 1960 that caused you to make that statement. It seems to coincide with the beginning of JFK's term in office. Also, I would like to make the point that it begun far sooner than that. The programs that were put in place during the great depression by FDR, although they had no immediate impact, set the stage for later deterioration of our society. 1960 may be the magic year. I won't dispute that.

harley_52
harley_52 11/30/11 - 04:44 pm
I'm curious about 1960 and

I'm curious about 1960 and 1962 as well.

I agree that the stage was set earlier as scoobydo points out, but in my opinion the Vietnam war and the hippies, drugs, and rebellion associated with the anti-war movement really got things rolling for the anti-Americans and the "great society" of LBJ gave it a giant population of "victims" to keep it rolling.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 05:04 pm
Good points, Harley. I had

Good points, Harley. I had forgotten about the hippie movement. I haven't forgotten about LBJ. I actually knew him very well thru J. B, Fuqua who founded WJBF and was state chairman of the democratic party when LBJ was vice president. I have a long story to tell about that relationship, too long to place here. It also involves Carl Sanders

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/30/11 - 05:05 pm
Think about what specific

Think about what specific event took place in 1962.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/30/11 - 05:22 pm
1962, JFK was killed.

1962, JFK was killed.

harley_52
harley_52 11/30/11 - 05:30 pm
That was 1963.

That was 1963.

harley_52
harley_52 11/30/11 - 05:33 pm
Cuban Missile Crisis? Second

Cuban Missile Crisis?

Second Vatican Council?

Marilyn Monroe killed by the Kennedys?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/30/11 - 05:34 pm
What took place that directly

What took place that directly impacted the youth and changed America more than any other event in the history of this country?