Why not Newt?

With problems facing America, Gingrich deserves a look

We don’t pay attention to the presidential polls. We just look to see whom the media are attacking, and figure that person’s on top.

Magically, that just happens to be the case with Newt Gingrich, who is being attacked for having done consulting work for mortgage behemoth Freddie Mac – and who, what do you know, was in first place in increasing numbers of polls this past week.

Following sterling debate performance after sterling debate performance, increasingly Republican primary voters are asking themselves: Why not Newt?

It’s against all odds, and certainly against the headwinds of the major media. And it sure looked like his candidacy had hit the rocks when he foolishly criticized and mischaracterized Rep. Paul Ryan’s budget blueprint for fiscal sanity earlier this year. Gingrich jokes now that he was politically dead this past summer.

His revival has been inspired by others’ failings, certainly – with the slippage of fellow candidates Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry and Herman Cain. But it’s also a testament to the strength of ideas: Newt Gingrich is simply the campaign’s clearest thinker and most articulate spokesman for the conservative cause right now.

Debate moderators and voters on the campaign trail are learning that when they toss a problem at him, he responds with a well-thought-out solution. Frankly, you don’t see that much anymore out of leading politicians, who are more concerned with staying “on message” and not offending someone.

Yes, Gingrich has baggage, and we’ve got issues with him. But we happen to think the issues facing America are much more serious. We can’t keep throwing good people in the trash heap – or allowing the “mainstream” media to do it – in some holy-grail quest for the perfect candidate.

No other presidential election in our history, save perhaps for our first one, has more urgently required ultimate competence. Whatever faults can be rightly attributed to Gingrich, there can be little doubt at this point that he’s the most able candidate running from either party.

If the Freddie Mac thing doesn’t stick, they’ll try something else. And then something else. And then something else, until they find something, anything, to prevent his nomination. After all, Gingrich has become the strongest Republican candidate in a matchup against Barack Obama in a new McClatchy-Marist poll – and that can’t be allowed to stand!

Again, there’s plenty to pick at. Even in his former heyday of the 1990s, Gingrich wasn’t quite the reliable conservative he let on. And his personal life? Well, expect that to be dredged up again, as the “Clinton
exemption” doesn’t apply to Republicans.

Sadly, elections these days are waged and won more on emotion than reason. What seems to matter most isn’t a candidate’s ideas, but how he or she makes you feel. That will probably be the case again, with the media portraying Gingrich as mean, particularly compared to Barack Obama – who doesn’t “feel your pain” quite like Bill Clinton did, but at least makes note of it on his teleprompter. Indeed, the left-wing media already are pouncing on Gingrich for his “toxic” and “arrogant, disgusting, sickened” suggestion that those in the “Occupy” movement should take a bath and get a job. Yeah, that’s so sick.

In contrast, an Occupier interviewed by The Washington Post said, “Do I want to work? Only if I wanted a home, wife, kids and a dog. If not, I think you’re ruining your life.”

You decide who’s right.

At bottom, if this election is about the acute problems facing America – financial Armageddon, porous borders, emerging threats (such as a nuclear Iran) and more – then voters ought to be given the chance to take a serious look at Newt Gingrich.

Can a nation in such dire straits easily pass on any legitimate lifeline?

burninater
burninater 11/27/11 - 11:34 pm
Newt's probably going to

Newt's probably going to trounce Romney, but I can't help hearing The Who echoing in my head ... Meet the new boss, same as the old boss ...

As far as the Freddie Mac thing, after literally years of attacks of the govt mortgage agencies, the media ISN'T going to pick up on over a million bucks in consulting fees going to a candidate? Please, that's just dumb. Newt revived his career working with "the major media" ... This liberal media conspiracy thing is tired and old.

harley_52
harley_52 11/28/11 - 12:11 am
I like that Newt has

I like that Newt has challenged Obama to debates and offered to let him use a teleprompter if he wanted.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 11/28/11 - 12:33 am
Why not Newt? I can think of

Why not Newt? I can think of several reasons but I will mention one. Newt wants to fire all school janitors and hire teen-agers in their place. That idea alone shows how out-of-touch he is with the working class. Earlier I defended him in the Tiffany Jewelry story because that was his personal business. But when his judgement seems to be clouded by his own lifestyle, I draw the line. Not surprising when one can run up a $500k tab at Tiffany's that one would not understand that people who work as janitors do so to support themselves or their families. And just where are the janitors suppose to find work when he fires them all?

How about let’s fire all support staff for congress. No assistants; representatives and senators can type their own memos, answer their own email and telephones calls from constituents; they can vacuum, sweep and dust their own offices; let them clean their own toilets, after all I have to clean mine. Every school teacher I know has to respond to email and phone calls, schedule their own meetings with parents, etc. all the while they watch over 20-25 students who can’t be left alone for one minute. Until those in congress really understand what working class people go through every day to keep food on the table, we will continue to have non-sense such as what Gingrich proposes thrown at us.

Teleprompter?! I would prefer a president who measures what he says and not shoot from the lips the first thing that comes to his mind than one which every day or two changes his story. If I didn't know any better, I would think that conservatives are trying to drive the teleprompter industry out of business. Why else do conservatives keep mentioning its use as if there is something wrong with it? This is tactic yet another example of how the political landscape has been “Newtized”; constantly trying to turn positives into negatives is straight out of Newt's play book. That too, makes him unfit for the office of president. He is by far one of the most divisive politicians to date.

wtinney
wtinney 11/28/11 - 12:39 am
This is easy to answer. Why

This is easy to answer. Why not Newt?

1) Newt Gingrich, if you read his book, "To Renew America", is a significant supporter of affirmative action policies and programs.

2) Newt also, at least initially, believes the insurance requirement within Obamacare is Constitutional under the Commerce Clause.

3) Newt recently suggested conservatives and republicans should be more "humane" in their approach to restricting illegal immigration. Obviously he is not worried about the fairness of such a policy when compared to the hundreds of thousands legally going through the process to enter, work, and become citizens in the United States. To actually enforce the laws is inhumane to Newt.

Newt has so much baggage it is unbelievable that he is running for president. If you are a democrat, you can have baggage, but if you are a republican, you absolutely must be squeeky clean.

- Newt went through multiple ethics investigations and had to eventually pay the largest fine, ever, while he was Speaker. He also was censured.

- On the domestic front, if his most recent wife that would become first lady the one he cheated on during the marriage or was that Bono? In either case, Newt does not have the proper ethics or morals to bring any first family into the White House.

- I am sure he is also going to be quite favorable to homosexuals once in office. Sure, he talks a decent game but he has been incredibly silent in response to the attacks of his lesbian sister (now married to her partner and is very vocal concerning this issue).

4) Don't forget, as the AC noted, Newt was a political lobbyist (under the guise of consultant) for Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Don't fall for this guy's excuse that he gave simply advice having to do with "not creating sub-prime mortgages". Fannie and Freddie would not pay that kind of money, in excess of 1 million, just to hear that crap from a non financial services consultancy.

Haki
Haki 11/28/11 - 01:14 am
Newt has baggage?

Newt has baggage?

faithson
faithson 11/28/11 - 01:46 am
newt is to undisciplined...

newt is to undisciplined... he will shoot himself in the foot 'again'. Get over it.. Romney will be your man

Black Mamba
Black Mamba 11/28/11 - 02:47 am
In the cold light of morning,

In the cold light of morning, what we see is GOP candidates that can barely string a sentence together. I read that Newt thinks that child labor laws are stupid. He proposes that poor children be allowed to work and he thinks that schools could be a good place to start. Newt proposes that poor children be paid to clean schools, there by learning a good work ethic and making money for the family...... What about studying, learning, joining extracurricular activities? Newt's future of America would cubbyhole all the poor kids into working low end jobs so the rest can enjoy life? What a dunce.

Black Mamba
Black Mamba 11/28/11 - 02:47 am
I'm also really glad that

I'm also really glad that Newt is taking such a strong family values stance against gay marriage.

He believes that marriage is a sacred union between a man, his wife, his mistress, and the other women he's banging on the side.

carcraft
carcraft 11/28/11 - 03:52 am
Black Mamba-Nice try- Obama's

Black Mamba-Nice try- Obama's picture of America-If you work and are in a union you have a well paying job, paid for on the backs of tax payers and businesses. Obama- absent or votes present when tough issues are presented. Obama-tries to win by wealth envy and disruption of the economy, why else his vote of present on the keystone pipe line that costs over 1,600 jobs and accomplishes nothing but keeping Americans out of work? Your last screed could could also be discribing Bill Clinton, womenizer ( or is it rapist) in Chief...

carcraft
carcraft 11/28/11 - 09:20 am
Black Mamba- Have you watched

Black Mamba- Have you watched Obama try to string a sentance together with out the teleprompter? LOL http://newsbusters.org/forum/topic-discussion/handy-reference-guide-obam...

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/28/11 - 03:32 am
Does anyone with a

Does anyone with a triple-digit IQ think that majorities of participating voters in states whose electoral votes total at least 270 will elect a male who divorced a dying wife to legitimitize his fornification with a DC bimbo?

carcraft
carcraft 11/28/11 - 03:50 am
Well they elected a community

Well they elected a community organizer that voted present 136 times ...What do you think?

Fundamental_Arminian
1933
Fundamental_Arminian 11/28/11 - 04:25 am
Ron Paul seems the only

Ron Paul seems the only candidate who will attempt to stop our vicious cycle of deficits by ending big banks' control of our spending. Newt Gingrich has campaigned like a fiscally responsible conservative, but he showed his fondness of globalism while he was speaker of the House. He remains, after all, a member in good standing with the Council on Foreign Relations.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/28/11 - 06:28 am
As I have said all along,

As I have said all along, Newt is one of two candidates (Dr. Ron Paul is the other) on the GOP side that has the brain power and experience in giverment to fix the problems.

Newt understands how the House and Senate work and knows the budget process.

He is the most intelligent on the actual issues and is focused on American problems.

I think Dr. Ron Paul would be the best choice for the country and Newt by far would be the best chice next to Paul.

I think a Paul/Gingrich or Gingrich/Paul ticket would be a winner and the best for America at this point.

If you go back and read my comments, I said this about Newt all along.

Paul and Gingrich are SERIOUS people who are talking about real problems, not RINOs like Mitt who support gun control, or shallow like Cain who is a sound-bite puddle a mile wide and inch deep, or just out there like Bachmann with some just pain nutty views, or another Frat-boy dolt from Texas like Perry who can't even remember what it is his handlers tell him he is supposed to be against (grest principles there bub).

Also, Newt and Paul stand by my 2nd Amendment rights. In the coming years, that is going to be an issue that reas it's ugly head again.

Brad

wtinney
wtinney 11/28/11 - 07:13 am
Carcraft said: "... Have you

Carcraft said: "... Have you watched Obama try to string a entance together with out the teleprompter? LOL". I know this was meant for Black Mamba but I could not resist responding. No, Carcraft, I have not, but I will tell you that I noticed he cannot string complete sentences together WITH a teleprompter. And no, I'll not add to my grey matter whatever is shown on that link you provided. I make it a point not to waste any more of my time with presence or words of our current Commander and Chief.

southernguy08
southernguy08 11/28/11 - 07:28 am
Black Mamba, love the way you

Black Mamba, love the way you attack the GOP candidates, claiming they can't string a sentence together. Obama is "articulate" only as long as the words show on the teleprompter. As for Newt and "family values," I find it interesting how the libs came to Bill Clinton's defense when it was obvious he was lying about playing doctor with ML in the White House. They're defense..."Everybody lies about sex, and it doesn't take away from Clinton's ability to lead the nation." Guess the rules change with different parties, eh? Yeah, I'm laughing.

americafirst
americafirst 11/28/11 - 07:50 am
Craig Spinks. I am no

Craig Spinks. I am no particular Newt fan but I can't let you repeat that liberal lie. Newt didn't divorce his dying wife. The wife you refer to had a benign tumor removed, she had filed for the divorce and she is still very much alive today. It is a liberal lie which has been repeated way too often that people just assume its true.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/28/11 - 07:55 am
Black Mamba said: He believes

Black Mamba said:
My Response; It is so pathetic when people use this kind of rhetoric in a political discussion. It serves no purpose but to make the user lose creditability.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/28/11 - 07:57 am
The facts are these: Gingrich

The facts are these: Gingrich has been married three times.

He and his first wife, Jackie, divorced in 1981. (The circumstances surrounding the split up — including a debate about whether Gingrich informed his wife of his plans during a time when she was hospitalized — remain a point of debate.)

Gingrich’s marriage to his second wife, Marianne, ended in divorce in 1999 after he acknowledged an extramarital affair with a congressional staffer named Callista Bisek, who is now Gingrich’s third wife.

His marriages don't bother me as much as his smug attitude......know it all......he might be the candidate ....I'm not happy with any of them right now.....:(

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/28/11 - 07:58 am
Americafirst said: Craig

Americafirst said:

My response: This can be verified by googling Newt, going to Wikipedia where the truth is outlined. It is as americafirst describes.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/28/11 - 08:42 am
Seenitb4, I understand your

Seenitb4, I understand your concerns. I would prefer a candidate who has no baggage, either personal or political. However, my concern is that we elect a person that can lead us out of the mess in which we find ourselves. There is no question that Newt is the most qualified by education and experience to do that. Whether he can get elected remains to be seen.His detractors will lower the boom on him as his poll numbers rise. That is a given.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/28/11 - 08:35 am
scooby...You are right....any

scooby...You are right....any candidate will be torn to shreds by the time the election gets here.....we will say...just get the dang thing over with..24/7 news --all day & night...they fill the hours with fluff & too much negative info.
So many get paid big $$$ just to dig up trash on the other side..maybe that is the real reason we can't get decent honest guys to run for President.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/28/11 - 08:41 am
So many get paid big $$$ just

YUP!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/28/11 - 08:46 am
No matter how "smart" Newt is

No matter how "smart" Newt is considered to be, recent history has shown that nominating a person coming from the Congress, with white hair, and with a trophy wife much younger than himself will just not resonate with the American electorate. As exhibits A and B I offer Bob Dole and John McCain.

Okay, Dole did not have white hair, but how much Grecian Formula did he use?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/28/11 - 08:49 am
Haley, I heard Newt when he

Haley, I heard Newt when he challenged Obama to three Lincoln , Douglas types of debates. No moderators are to be present, just Newt and Obama facing each other slugging it out. That would be a sight to behold.There is no way that I would miss that if it materializes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/28/11 - 08:54 am
I'm sorry but when I look at

I'm sorry but when I look at Newts wife ....I don't see a trophy....he will age her FAST!!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/28/11 - 09:01 am
LL, These are strange days we

LL,

These are strange days we are living in. I don't think any history from 16 and 4 years ago will be a great indicator here.

I think that whoever is the GOP nominee, it will be their election to lose. So that means we need to think about who will do what needs to be done. The only folks up there that I see being viable as REAL change agents is Paul and Gingrich.

The others a re just a mix of clowns, amateurs and folks not equipped to fix the problems we have.

We need serious adult leadership these days. No more OJT or non-prepared folks please.

Paul-Gingrich or Gingrich-Paul is a winning ticket and would get my vote.

Brad

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/28/11 - 09:04 am
Brad...You really surprise me

Brad...You really surprise me sometimes...ugh to that ticket!

carcraft
carcraft 11/28/11 - 09:17 am
I was listening to Bill

I was listening to Bill Bennet in the Morning the other day an a caller said "I am not interested in the smartest man in the room being president but the most able leader, look at George Washington" Bill Bennet's comment was priceless "Yey, but look at who the other people in the room were". There is not a perfect canidate, Reagan was an old actor, to old to be president, Nixon was supposed to be good but got paranoid, the list of human flaws is long. Which flaws are the American people willing to forgive and can the individual reach past the "lame stream" media to have their voice and views heard over the constant din of media negativity that will be hurled at them by the press?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/28/11 - 09:19 am
Those who ignore history are

Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it.

If the Republicans nominate Newt Gingrich for president, they are destined to get four more years of Obama.

Gingrich for President will follow the same destiny as Dole and McCain.

Fort Gordon Warrior Transition Battalion closing

Fort Gordon's Warrior Transition Battalion, the second-largest in the Army, is one of 10 military medical units nationwide that will be closed by August 2016, as the number of sick and injured ...