Right decision, wrong response

Are we just sending too many people to college these days? Are there any remaining standards as to whom we allow inside the arches of higher education?

We ask because what passes for thinking on campus today is just befuddling.

After learning legendary football coach Joe Paterno had been sacked by the Penn State board of trustees Wednesday night, students not only rallied in his defense but some rioted on his behalf as well.

First off, turning over vans does nothing but dishonor their hero.

Second, the whole thing was an irrational – that is to say, brainless – reaction. Did these kids think the trustees enjoyed firing their 46-year institution of a coach? It was a difficult, courageous and necessary thing they did. Further, college is supposed to be about reading and thinking – have these kids not read the grand jury report detailing the multiple rapes of little boys that allegedly went on in the Penn State showers – and how the university’s administration, beginning with Paterno, did next to nothing about it after being informed? They even let the alleged rapist, former defensive coach Jerry Sandusky, keep an office on campus, as long as he took his personal business elsewhere.

On that darkened campus Wednesday night, did they give one thought to what they were throwing their support behind?

What Sandusky is accused of – with multiple young victims over many years – is one of the most (quoting from the thesaurus) debased, degenerate, depraved, despicable, dirty, disgraceful, disgusting, evil, filthy, foul, horrid crimes one can think of. And Paterno and Co. thought they could dispatch it with a few calls (none of which were to the police)? Outrage upon outrage.

We understand the exuberance of youth; we weren’t born old. But the minority of Penn State students who lashed out at their university for finally, belatedly, mercifully doing the right thing for the first time in this sordid affair have revealed themselves to be zombies for whom
the college experience may be a dubious indulgence.

It would have been the height of unseemliness, to say the least, to allow Paterno to be fêted at Saturday’s game, with the ghosts of unspeakable horrors wafting through the stadium. Or to have let him imperiously define the terms of his own exit at season’s end.

We hope the students’ instructors are helping them think all this through today. Otherwise, they ought to get their tuition money back.

joehill
joehill 11/11/11 - 12:41 am
for once an editorial from

for once an editorial from the AC that I can agree with. lock joepa up along with all the other administrators who knew about this and did nothing to stop it. unconscionable. makes one wonder exactly what joe's role in this crime was.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/11/11 - 12:55 am
This whole matter is beyond

This whole matter is beyond belief. Joe Pa is obviously senile to have not done more. The students rioting in support represent American society that has been dumbed down to worship heroes no matter the morals. Watch them be embarrassed as everything comes out. Joe Pa has hired a high powered attorney and he will need him in civil court if nowhere else.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/11/11 - 03:23 am
You hit the nail on the

You hit the nail on the head....From the actions of these students to the many unlawful, costly, disorderly actions of the so called "occupiers"....it is pathetic. Clueless kool-aid drinking sheeple.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 04:40 am
Jonestown had Kool-Aid,

Jonestown had Kool-Aid, America has tea.

Jane18
Jane18 11/11/11 - 06:12 am
Puh-leeeez bj, give us a

Puh-leeeez bj, give us a break! Your satire is almost more than I can take so early in the morning, well...... really any time. I never have liked Kool-Aid, but you go on and have another glass.....................

blues550
blues550 11/11/11 - 06:50 am
The editorial was dead on.

The editorial was dead on. Excusing Paterno as senile is not. Two words best describe this guy: enabler & criminal.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/11/11 - 07:29 am
Joe Paterno is far from being

Joe Paterno is far from being senile. He is immoral.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/11/11 - 07:30 am
ACES, this editorial is spot

ACES, this editorial is spot on!! I was disgusted when I heard about the rioting these students were doing. I hope they identify and lock up all that participated. Unfortunately, many of their instructors will probably not teach them of their errors. I read in one report that a faculty member was also arrested for taking part. Academia has been pushing socialist agendas for years. I even had a professor who was a proclaimed socialist when I was in college. He was always yapping about taking any income that someone earned over $50,000.00 per year and distributing it to others. (That was 1979-1980).

None of these students are even wrapping their brains around the horrific crimes commited to these boys.

curly123053
curly123053 11/11/11 - 10:01 am
Is there not a charge of

Is there not a charge of "accessory after the fact" that can be applied here? From the University President to Coach Joe, and that graduate assistant, they all knew of a rape that occurred without alerting the police! Where's the morals of these supposedly responsible people? Rapes especially involving minors should be reported no matter what the chain of command is.

Chillen
Chillen 11/11/11 - 10:08 am
The man had evidence that his

The man had evidence that his employee was molesting children. He himself is a criminal for not turning him in to the police. I hope he goes to jail. I also hope he & the University get the living crap sued out of them by parents whose kids were abused after this was institutional knowledge. I'd be furious if my son's rape/sexual abuse could have been prevented.

These students are a perfect example of why Marx referred to them as "Useful Idiots". Now we see the types of individuals protesting at OWS. Cut from the same mold.

Chillen
Chillen 11/11/11 - 01:09 pm
I wonder what happened to the

I wonder what happened to the comment I made at 10:15. It had no links to articles, nothing bad in it, yet when I posted it, it said it had to be approved by the moderators. I checked my email and have gotten no rejection email, though I have no reason to suspect I would.

I guess it got lost in cyber-space. Maybe the Chinese hacked into the Augusta Chronicle database and deleted it.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/11/11 - 01:16 pm
Can't trust those Chi-coms!!

Can't trust those Chi-coms!!

socks99
socks99 11/11/11 - 02:48 pm
No doubt Penn State can claim

No doubt Penn State can claim the title for the 'most spectacular scandal' involving a collegiate sports program, but it would seem unsporting to release the Penn State Trustees from their culpability, here.

In fact, Boards of Trustees, Regents, and other high and official overseers of state colleges and Universities around the nation are mostly responsible for making the 'Kings of Sports' found on so many college campuses.

It is with their permission, always, that colleges and universities set-up separate, legal corporate structures that control and run big-time athletics. And it is the insular separation and imperial nature of these programs that -- time and time again -- breaches the veil of official secrecy and comes back to embarrass everyone.

The rioting students ought to have demanded that the Trustees dissolve the separate administrative structure of the athletic department and allowed the University, proper, to reassert its control. Failing this, a recurrence is guaranteed!

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 02:50 pm
bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 02:55 pm
Chillen, I sent an email to

Chillen, I sent an email to the Man and he is out today so all posts that trigger the SkyNet cyborg are being sent to New Delhi for review. You should hear back after it no longer matters.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/11/11 - 03:07 pm
Hey, Chillen, I've had three

Hey, Chillen, I've had three comments enter the "must be approved by moderators" space in the last two days. Nothing ugly, nothing controversial, no filtered words. Must be kind of like random drug testing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/11/11 - 06:49 pm
Moody's said late today they

Moody's said late today they may downgrade Penn State's debt. The effect of this cover-up is going to have far reaching consequences.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/11/11 - 07:59 pm
Society has lost its

Society has lost its compassion to care and have regard for others and after all, they were just children, who only count when it is convenient, sometimes.

I still can't stop thinking about the 26 year old male assistant coach who saw the horror taking place on the 10 year old boy in the shower in the Penn State locker room, and just strolled right on out of there. No help, no call for help. What woman would ever marry him with this knowledge? May the boy's screams haunt him endlessly.

All who were involved in this cover up...
cowards, heartless, valueless, and completely emotionally dead.

Chillen
Chillen 11/11/11 - 08:05 pm
Great post Willow! Spot on!

Great post Willow! Spot on!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/11/11 - 08:07 pm
Willow, that expresses my

Willow, that expresses my outrage well. I know I said the grad assistant coach was 26 before, but he was actually 28 from what I've heard. He is a former Penn State quarterback. Why didn't he take immediate, physical action when he walked in on that horrific crime in progress?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/11/11 - 08:18 pm
Thanks, Chillen. River, I am

Thanks, Chillen.
River, I am female and small, but I will tell you my rage would have empowered me to nearly kill the man. I could never walk away from someone else being harmed, particularly a child. I wouldn't care what it cost me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/11/11 - 08:30 pm
Yep, Willow. This guy wanted

Yep, Willow. This guy wanted a career coaching there and he let that overwhelm his sense of decency. As you say, one of us wouldn't have walked out of that shower, even if it had been someone who had influence over my job. It's just one of those rare moments in life that come when you simply have to do the right thing no matter the cost. You don't have time to think it over. You have to act. He's a coward.