Shooting from the lip

In true frontier fashion, Texas Gov. Rick Perry went into this week’s presidential debate with both guns blazing. Unfortunately, they were aimed squarely at his own feet.

Perry, who’d been nosediving in the polls on the strength – or rather weakness – of several horrid debate performances, was undoubtedly counseled to unholster all his Lone Star swagger and try to lead the league in testosterone.

Problem was, for all his false bravado his six-guns were empty. A governor who champions reduced in-state tuition for the children of illegal immigrants was more than just a little disingenuous in trying to paint Mitt Romney as the soft-on-immigration candidate. How’d he try it? By recycling a worn-out story from four years ago about how the former Massachusetts governor once hired a lawn service that utilized some illegal workers. Yawn. As if we’re all expected to check the immigration status every time we hire a home-care company. It was a nonstarter when it was first hatched. Is that all Perry’s got?

Perry made his blunder worse, and totally lost the Las Vegas debate crowd, when he repeatedly interrupted Romney to tilt at his windmills. Everything may be bigger in Texas, but Perry made himself small.

There is no comparison between, as radio show host Neal Boortz put it, Romney’s inadvertently hiring an illegal leaf blower and Perry’s perpetrating a public policy that rewards illegal immigration at the expense of Texas taxpayers – and treating them better than legal, law-abiding residents of neighboring states.

Perry even defended his stance at an earlier debate with a totally over-the-top assertion that if you disagree with him, “you don’t have a heart.” Besides being the stuff of emotional blackmail, it’s also willfully deceitful on Perry’s part: No one was suggesting the children of illegals be kicked out of school or denied an education, as he claimed they were; they merely, and rightfully, questioned the state subsidizing it.

Gov. Perry’s biggest blunder is this: He, or his advisers, decided that the best way to build himself up is to tear someone else down. It rarely works. And the strategy plays into the hands of the “mainstream” media, who clearly delight in playing “let’s you and him fight” with the GOP presidential field. Interesting that they never do that with Democrats – and they never do vivisection on Democratic economic proposals the way they do with Republicans’. Then again, you can’t cut into a plan that doesn’t exist.

As for Perry, the experts and the campaign dollars keep saying he’s in the top tier of candidates. They may continue saying it long after Perry himself has said otherwise.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/21/11 - 10:41 pm
Obama, second term... Im

Obama, second term... Im going to call it now. Done. You repubs aint got nothing. Outside looking in. Im not an R or a D. Objective opinion.

KSL
KSL 10/21/11 - 10:59 pm
Hoping you don't waste you

Hoping you don't waste you vote and help O. My father taught me decades ago that you vote and try to change, but you don't waste a vote just to make a statement. Vote for the lessor of two evils and try to facilitate a transformation. It's better than conceding to the other side.

KSL
KSL 10/21/11 - 11:22 pm
Taylor, get on board. Your

Taylor, get on board. Your Lib candidate has no chance. You just insure Obama again. Once the Repub wins, you work from withing to enact change. I know you want to make a statement, but wasting a vote is not the way to do it.

KSL
KSL 10/21/11 - 11:30 pm
Here is what I'm talking

Here is what I'm talking about. You vote for someone who doesn't exactly meet all of your desires. He is elected. So you contact his office and tell him what you would like. You voted for him, you get a better chance of getting your point across than if you voted for a loser. Thinkd of the power. You are not the only vote for or against him/her. You have friends and family.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/22/11 - 05:00 am
KSL, YOU get on board.

KSL, YOU get on board. Telling Taylor to vote Republican is like me telling you to vote Democratic.

Why would you ask someone from another party to "not throw away their vote?"

Maybe voting their principles is a "throw away" to you, but I am sure they don't see it that way.

There is no difference in the two major parties, two sides of the same coin. The only difference is who they send our tax dollars to.

Brad

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/22/11 - 05:03 am
I agree with this article by

I agree with this article by the way, I think Perry is done for.

I really don't think anyone wnats another mouthy Texan with "swaggar"

It seems that the GOP is just determined to lose this election to Obama.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/11 - 06:27 am
Now wait just a dadburn

Now wait just a dadburn minute....shooter is not finished....suck it up cause if you think flip=flop Romney can make it to the big office ...we are skewered....we need MORE candidates---we just have luke warm guys running----Perry is learning as he goes....give him a little time to learn to control that Texas swagger.....BUT he is NOT shooting blanks!

Maybe CGEE can teach him a few tricks..:)

Techfan
Techfan 10/22/11 - 06:45 am
Obama's problem won't be

Obama's problem won't be because he lost the middle. it'll be because he's lost so much support on the left. He's caved to the Repubs on just about everything and continued too many of Bush's policies.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/22/11 - 06:57 am
Independents determine

Independents determine elections. Far right and far left candidates, when push comes to shove, will follow their ideological roots.

Techfan
Techfan 10/22/11 - 07:21 am
Generally yes. But if you

Generally yes. But if you don't get your base out, you're toast. That's what happened in 2010.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/11 - 07:42 am
Why is it so hard to get a

Why is it so hard to get a good man to run for President??

hounddog
hounddog 10/22/11 - 09:14 am
Techfan, ‘But if you don't

Techfan, ‘But if you don't get your base out, you're toast.’
And the community organizer’s base is hard to get out because they get their checks in the mail. But he has done a great job of creating class warfare.

allhans
allhans 10/22/11 - 09:32 am
As I posted earlier, take a

As I posted earlier, take a look at the top 3 dem candidates at this point in 2008..
Obama won because he promised change..
He certainly can't win on change next year since his own base is not happy with his idea of 'change'.
If Obama wins again it will be because Republican gives it to him, he sure can't win on his own merits.

southernguy08
southernguy08 10/22/11 - 12:21 pm
To people like TAYLOR who

To people like TAYLOR who think Obama will win re-election, have you seen the polls lately? To have this belief is, borrowing from Hillary Clinton's 2007 comment to General David Patreus, "to have a suspension of disbelief." Who says I never agree with a liberal? Obama is the greatest friend of the Republican Party now. Because of his incompentcy, his arrogant, clueless party will be losing elections for YEARS to come. Just calls em as I sees em.

harley_52
harley_52 10/22/11 - 12:25 pm
I think Perry is "done for"

I think Perry is "done for" too. I think he's probably a good man, but he wasn't ready for prime time. I think his early poll numbers made him overconfident and caused him to believe the campaign and the nomination would be a cake walk. As a result, he didn't prepare himself for the buzz saw he ran into and he came out looking like a petulant, arrogant, Ted Baxter kind of character. Now, I think the campaign money is drying up and he might as well announce he wants to "spend more time with my family" and exit stage left.

I could be completely wrong, of course, and he may come back strong, but I doubt it.

harley_52
harley_52 10/22/11 - 12:41 pm
SeenitB4 asked "Why is it so

SeenitB4 asked "Why is it so hard to get a good man to run for President??"

I'll give you a few reasons: First, it's exhausting. You sign up for at least two years of 18 hour days, six or seven days a week. And that's if things go well. Second, it's mortifying. You will be called every name in the book, lied about, investigated, lied about some more, embarrassed, mocked, laughed at, did I say lied about, and your family will have to put up with it too. Third, it's expensive. Some of these people spend millions of their own dollars, others exhaust their personal finances. Fourth, it's largely a personality/beauty contest. No matter what they say, homely people are at a significant disadvantage before they even start. Fifth, you'll probably end up a "loser." Only one gets nominated and the rest are forever viewed as "losers."

There are just five of the reasons. There are many more, I'm sure, but that's probably enough to discourage most people.

harley_52
harley_52 10/22/11 - 01:03 pm
allhans said "Obama won

allhans said "Obama won because he promised change.."

True, but there was a lot more to it.

Obama won because most people gave him a pass. Most of it was because of media inspired white guilt. 'Wouldn't it be nice to prove how nice and non-racist we are by electing a black man as President.' It made us feel better about ourselves.

The Press gave him a pass as well. His relationships with known America haters and racists would have been used to destroy him if he were a white Republican. The press trivialized them and gave them little notice.

We elected a man we knew almost nothing about and what we did know about him was bad. We elected a man with zero executive experience and very little legislative experience. We elected a man whose entire academic record was unknown, whose friends were largely unknown (except for the America haters and racists), and whose citizenship was questionable.

We did it because he was black, we felt guilty about claims we were all "racists," and because we were presented with a black man who spoke well and as you pointed out "promised change."

I wasn't fooled. I knew I wasn't a racist. I also knew he had no business being elected with the qualifications I could see.

Obama was a "feel good" candidate for lots of middle class white people and that's what got him elected. They voted with their hearts, not their brains.

painfully honest
painfully honest 10/22/11 - 01:48 pm
Harley, you must have

Harley, you must have amnesia. None of the foolishness you stated got President Obama elected. First of all, President Bush was a complete embarrassment and failure to this country. He and his administration were about as corrupt and greedy as any administration in the history of the United States. In fact, he was so bad that the republican party basically went into hiding. There were people jumping off the sinking republican ship like crazy. There were "flip-floppers" everywhere. The second reason he was elected was because everyone knew that McCain/Palin was a joke. McCain was old and had "one foot in the grave" and Lord knows, we didn't want Palin doing the "Presidential thingy" if something was to happen to him while in office. ANY democratic presidential candidate would have won. President Obama just happend to be in the right place at the right time.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/22/11 - 02:17 pm
You cant get good people to

You cant get good people to run for president because thats not what people want. Plus, the people who would be best suited to run this country are too busy being normal.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/22/11 - 02:44 pm
KSL, maybe voting like people

KSL, maybe voting like people from decades ago is why we have the issues we have today. Lesser of two evils is still evil. You dont even know who my candidate is. O did nothing so far that Bush wouldnt have done. How well do you know the guy you voted for? I have Bob Barr's phone number and we talk on occasion, first name basis. He stuck his neck out for me by endorsing me for Senate when I ran. My oldest interviewed him for a school project. I have already personally met and spoke to two of our candidates this time around. Have fun picking your tallest midget, KSL.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/22/11 - 03:33 pm
Attacking Romney on that old

Attacking Romney on that old issue of Romney having the illegals working in his yard is more evidence that Perry doesn't quite have IT.

If we go with Romney, I'm fine with it, but I'd much rather have Cain. It's time we put up our most conservative, Barry Goldwater type, candidate and go for it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/22/11 - 03:39 pm
Techfan wrote: Obama's

Techfan wrote:

That's true, and that's also what's haunting Perry. Perry looks, acts, sounds, and governs Texas just like George Bush. Why should we want more of that?

This editorial is a good analysis of merely one of Perry's weaknesses.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/22/11 - 05:16 pm
Riverman, are you referring

Riverman, are you referring to fiscal or social conservativism? Harder to find a stronger fiscal conservative than Johnson or Paul. Cain isnt it.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/22/11 - 08:18 pm
No Perry for me, please,

No Perry for me, please, though, I just can't understand why anyone would want more Obama. What's working that I can't see? Why should I vote for him? What has he really contributed to make our economy better and our country a better place to live?

KSL
KSL 10/22/11 - 08:20 pm
Nothing.

Nothing.

KSL
KSL 10/22/11 - 08:22 pm
He's quite good at spending

He's quite good at spending taxpayer money for political gains and personal pleasure.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/22/11 - 08:48 pm
RM1, Cain is a lightweight, I

RM1, Cain is a lightweight, I am surprised you like him.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/22/11 - 08:54 pm
Cain doesn't work for me

Cain doesn't work for me either. I believe a national sales tax added on top of state sales taxes would be the final death of this economy.

southernguy08
southernguy08 10/22/11 - 08:59 pm
Brad, Cain had the stones to

Brad, Cain had the stones to look Bill Clinton in the eye and say, "Mister President, my company can't afford your health care program." Lightweight? Hardly. As for him never holding elected office, look at the "experienced" leader we have now in the WH and tell me you think he can't be beaten.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/22/11 - 09:43 pm
Brad, who is the Republican

Brad, who is the Republican heavyweight that RM is supposed to like?

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.