Occupy this

Job fairs offer positive opportunities that protests do not

Some people see the world as it is, and lay down and protest.

Others see the world as it could be, and line up for jobs.

While the supposed disenfranchised of the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations camp out and lash out – and get arrested and cause public disturbances and environmental cleanups – others, such as in Augusta, are attending job fairs and trying to better themselves.

Nearly 900 job-seekers waited patiently to fill out résumés and to audition for employers at a job fair Sept. 29 at the Evans government complex – including one woman who recalled doing the same thing in Atlanta earlier this year and never making it inside. On Oct. 4, some 2,000 attended a job fair at Fort Gordon’s Army Reserve Center – where one job seeker said of prospective employers, “They were happier to see me than I was to see them!”

Today, Congressman John Barrow’s office is holding yet another job fair where 31 companies will be looking to fill jobs: It will be at the Bernie Ward Community Center, 1941 Lumpkin Road, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Barrow’s office is also offering tips for landing the right job.

We applaud Congressman Barrow for being proactive and doing more than just issuing the same old political talking points we’ve all been hearing emanate from Washington – while the politicians argue and get very little done. Good for him.

We also appreciate people who, rather than point blame for their plight, simply want to be pointed toward a brighter future.

Comments (16)

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/15/11 - 05:55 am

Do I smell an endorsment

Do I smell an endorsment coming?

soldout
soldout 10/15/11 - 06:13 am

Best program I have ever seen

Best program I have ever seen for financial success is to cheerfully give 10 percent to the Lord and save 10 percent.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/15/11 - 07:31 am

soldout, althought I agree

soldout, althought I agree with you statement 100%, these people have to find jobs first before they can become cheerful givers.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 10/15/11 - 07:54 am

On what basis would you

On what basis would you assume that none of the protesters have gone to any job fairs? You may have heard a few months ago that even McDonald's had a job fair to fill about 50,000 positions nationwide, and received 1 million applications.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/11 - 08:00 am

Ok let's be fair here.. Years

Ok let's be fair here..
Years ago when we were looking for jobs we didn't have out-sourcing-illegals...big business leaving the country & setting up elsewhere..(anyway, not like today) not to mention robot machines doing jobs.
SOOOO it is different out there now---China & India have our jobs..
MANY want a decent job----imo they feel the USA could give a rats behind about the job loss in this country----they have a real gripe & it is NOT going away....you can turn your head & ignore them all you want but most on here are older-retired & living a decent life.....if you spent the last year looking for work & couldn't get a job you would be out there too.
We are having break-ins in the North Ga mountains secure neighborhoods....this is an oddity for these areas.... they have been known for their safe enviornment & very little crime ...people have lost hope & some have gotten desperate...if you THINK this won't come your way....ya better think again.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/15/11 - 08:20 am

Would you hire someone who

Would you hire someone who poops on police cars?

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/15/11 - 08:37 am

LECH WALESA, FORMER POLISH

LECH WALESA, FORMER POLISH PRESIDENT, TO VISIT NEW YORK IN SUPPORT OF OCCUPY WALL STREET

>Solidarity hero Lech Walesa is flying to New York to show his support for the Occupy Wall Street protesters.

"How could I not respond," Walesa told a Polish newspaper Wednesday. "The thousands of people gathered near Wall Street are worried about the fate of their future, the fate of their country. This is something I understand."

A former shipyard worker who led Poland's successful revolt against Soviet communism, Walesa said "capitalism is in crisis" and not just in America.

"This is a worldwide problem," he told the Lublin-based Dziennik Wschodni newspaper. "The Wall Street protesters have focused a magnifying glass on the problem."<

What was the Solidarity movement and who is this Lech Walesa guy?
Probably just another deadbeat looking for a handout.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/11 - 08:39 am

Let me ask this

Let me ask this question...

If someone offered you $1,000,000 to poop on a police car...would you do it??

He wouldn't be my first choice BUT I would have to find out what talents the man had...if I wanted a pr man-someone who could get millions of dollars of free publicity -make headlines around the world--daring dare devil.....well he might be my man! (If Riverman wasn't available) :)

allhans
21936
allhans 10/15/11 - 10:02 am

1998..."Poland's brash union

1998..."Poland's brash union organizer stood up to the Kremlin and dealt the Eastern bloc a fatal blow...."
Evidently the Lech is an organizer..That should make us all feel better ( and honored?) , huh.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 10/15/11 - 10:14 am

seenitB4 asked "Let me ask

seenitB4 asked "Let me ask this question...

"If someone offered you $1,000,000 to poop on a police car...would you do it??"

Not to get too personal here, but at my age a better question might be....

'If someone offered you $1,000,000 to poop on a police car...COULD you do it??"

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/15/11 - 10:21 am

harley...I did ask

harley...I did ask first...:)

Under certain circumstances I probably could....which would be verry out-of-the-norm for me ....since I can't do the deed on lonely country roads miles from town-----
Let's just use make believe circumstances
anyway this article isn't about pooping.....or is it??

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/15/11 - 10:30 am

Haha...you guys are crazy.

Haha...you guys are crazy. Fiber or is it fibre.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/15/11 - 10:42 am

Peaceful people don't form

Peaceful people don't form mobs, democrats do.

allhans
21936
allhans 10/15/11 - 10:45 am

you tube vido..L.A." Without

you tube vido..L.A." Without hesitation, this "Occupy Los Angeles" protester blames everything on Zionist Jewish bankers.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 10/15/11 - 11:10 am

Riverman asked, "Fiber or is

Riverman asked, "Fiber or is it fibre."

You'll find out soon enough.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 10/15/11 - 11:25 am

seenitB4 asked, "Let's just

seenitB4 asked, "Let's just use make believe circumstances
Say someone is holding your family hostage & would start killing them1 by 1 if you didn't do it....I would do it in a heartbeat---never say never..."

Okay, I can't say "never," but I can say that at my age all that added pressure would only make it even more unlikely.

allhans
21936
allhans 10/16/11 - 12:01 pm

.http://www.theblaze.com/stor

.http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-jews-control-wall-street-alleged-wall-st-protester-spews-anti-semitism/

This one is really something! Uhuh!

Pedestrian killed on Mike Padgett Highway

A pedestrian was struck and killed Thursday night on Mike Padgett Highway. The victim is the fifth pedestrian to be hit - and fourth to die - on Richmond County roads sinc April 10.