Debate’s losers? The media

Reporters skimped on substance in favor of ‘gotcha’ questions

Rule No. 1 when headed to a cannibal's party: Arrive well after dinner.

Rick Perry is looking like a genius now for arriving after dinner: The telegenic Texas governor waited until cannibalism broke out at the Republican presidential debate Thursday night before coming to the party. Now, stealing the thunder from today's Iowa straw poll, Perry plans to announce his candidacy for president today in South Carolina before making a grand entrance in Iowa Sunday.

The main thing that came out of the Thursday debate anyway was that the media - on Fox News, for anyone who thinks it hopelessly biased - will either tear up each of the Republican candidates (as they never did with Barack Obama) or encourage the candidates to do it to themselves and then stand back and watch.

He's not our favorite candidate, but we're with Newt Gingrich, who quite rightly bristled at the media's trivial personal attacks Thursday night when the economy is coming unglued and the whole word seems to be. What's more important? Gingrich's staffing, or whether 14 million Americans will ever find work again; whether Iran will become nuclear, and what that means; whether America is on the road to Greece; and what to do about borders that remain open and an immigration system that's broken?

Indeed, the only real losers at the debate seemed to be the media panel, which more than once was booed for its superfluous and inordinate lines of questioning. Byron York, of The (Washington) Examiner, had the effrontery to ask the unabashedly religious Michele Bachmann whether she would submit to her husband while as president, as she apparently had acknowledged previously doing regarding a big decision in her life. For Pete's sake, Byron. Do you really think there's some sort of sharia law in the Bachmann house?

To her great credit, Ms. Bachmann shook off being stunned and knocked York's low spitball out of the park, suggesting there's nothing wrong with each spouse respecting the other.

We were waiting for the first candidate to respond to the panel - as Fox's Chris Wallace once infamously asked of Bachmann - "Are you a flake?"

While the media probe the Republican field ever deeper for the nonexistent perfect human being, Americans are crying out for solutions to what ails America. It appeared at times Thursday night as if Gingrich were the only person on stage who wanted to talk about that.

Overall:

- Other than Perry, who was not there, the big winner was Mitt Romney. The former Massachusetts governor arrived in the frontrunner's car and exited in the same manner. He looked presidential - which is to say that he looked great on TV and was careful to keep his suit clean.

- Bachmann avoided gaffes and looked, dare we say, vice-presidential. In a one-on-one spitting contest with former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, she seemed to come out squarely on top.

- We can't figure out what's wrong with Pawlenty. Amiable and accomplished, with a demeanor we would absolutely love in the White House, he nonetheless just can't seem to get any traction, either in debates or polls. The "knock" on him - shame on the country for thinking it a fault - is that he may be too nice. Perhaps his organizational infrastructure will help him in the straw poll today, but someone appears to have told him to attack Romney and Bachmann, and he did; he just looked way out of character and small doing it.

Note to T-Paw: Be yourself and let the chips fall where they may.

- Herman Cain and Ron Paul, though entertaining and energizing, confirmed their status as last-tier candidates. In contrast, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman doesn't even have the pizzazz to be included in the last tier. As for Rick Santorum, unfortunately he's an extremely attractive and viable candidate who, for some reason, has been shown to the consolation couch.

- Anyone who had no prior knowledge of the candidates and their baggage might have concluded that Gingrich won the debate. He was commanding, both in his presence and his knowledge, and the most articulate in expressing solutions to our problems. To cheers, he suggested emptying the Homeland Security bureaucracy to put warm bodies on the border - and correctly noted that it's a scandal Americans have yet to be shown who was and was not bailed out after the 2008 economic collapse, while calling for an audit of the shadowy Federal Reserve.

At bottom, it's both a shame and a detriment to this great nation that presidential debates and elections don't turn on the strength of one's ideas, but rather one's appearance on camera and what perceived peccadilloes one might have in one's past. At least if one is a Republican.

A world on the edge of chaos might be horrified to know how potential leaders of the most powerful nation on Earth are appraised and judged. The process, unlike the usual winners, isn't pretty.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/12/11 - 10:15 pm
Newt's out to lunch. His

Newt's out to lunch. His staff quits, he appears with Nancy Pelosi talking about global warming. Bizarre.

The next president is going to be Romney or Perry.

Haki
Haki 08/13/11 - 12:04 am
^ Ha!

^
Ha!

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 08/13/11 - 12:58 am
Newt for Prez??? Hahaha...

Newt for Prez??? Hahaha... not gonna happen. Crazy lady Bachmann? Nope. Herman or Ron? No. Romney is the only Republican with the intelligence to handle the position. My vote will stay with the dems until there's a viable 3rd party candidate. As for FOX (fanactics on x) News.. of course they're not going to be hard on the republicants.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 08/13/11 - 03:48 am
Does anyone else remember the

Does anyone else remember the stark contrast between GHWB's popularity rating in August 1991 and his electoral vote total in 12/92?

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 08/13/11 - 05:33 am
I hope future debates will

I hope future debates will include Buddy Roemer, the first GOP candidate in memory to actually run on an anti-corporatist platform.

ldsmith1
ldsmith1 08/13/11 - 05:35 am
Given the way Bachmann took

Given the way Bachmann took it to her opponents on stage, it is hard for me to believe that meekly takes orders from anyone. Sometimes those closest to us see qualities in us that we do not see in ourselves and it behooves us to rethink our own perspective in light of theirs.

It is sad that TCSFS is so angry. The truth is that those who have a heart for God do not have to print anything on their foreheads, it is evident in how they live their lives. Being "religious" is the same as being "Godly" As I recall, that was why the Pilgrims boarded the Mayflower in the first place.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/13/11 - 06:18 am
smith, i think the puritans

smith, i think the puritans came over to be godly and religious too. is being religious a good thing? as far as the puritans of new england, i wouldn't wanna be on trial in their courthouse or a woman in their village.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/11 - 06:27 am
The Democrats have the

The Democrats have the "anti-corporatist platform" pretty well covered.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/13/11 - 06:54 am
really? not even

really? not even libertarians seem willing to go anti-corporatist anymore. i guess as far as campaigning in this country goes, that would be the same as being anti-money.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/13/11 - 07:11 am
I am glad I am here and don't

I am glad I am here and don't have to endure the next year and a half of this type of election noise.

Newt is probably the best qualified person to run the country, but everyone hates him.

Ron Paul would be the Republican Jimmy Carter, not because he would not have good ideas or be a good man, he just would not be able to get anywhere with the congress. His ideas would not be put in place.

Herman Cain has no original ideas really. sounds like every bad GOP commercial from the 1994 election

Bachmann seems to be bat guano crazy most of the time.

I want to see what Gov. Perry says

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/11 - 07:28 am
River is right....it will be

River is right....it will be between Perry & Romney....heee--hawww

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/13/11 - 07:45 am
I dont think you guys

I dont think you guys understand what corporatism is. Look it up, the wiki article is actually pretty good.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/13/11 - 07:48 am
governor perry oversaw a

governor perry oversaw a pretty heinous execution of an innocent man for arson and killing his wife and kids. after they killed him, a real fire expert (fire investigators are all over the place in terms of quality. i think augusta happens to have a good one who went to school on his dime and actually studied it) checked it out, we discover the guy wasn't lying. it wasn't arson.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/11 - 07:58 am
Brad you may not be here but

Brad you may not be here but you are a news junkie.....:) you will see just as much news as we do..
RA...we would like to compare grades with Obamas ...so why don't you just put them on here....Perry was a C & D student----what was President O????

ldsmith1
ldsmith1 08/13/11 - 08:02 am
BSNM- It is my opinion that

BSNM- It is my opinion that one can be "religious" about anything. Religion at the expense of a geniune Godliness is rather exhausting. I doubt I would have gotten along well with the Puritans, myself. Not all Pilgrims were Puritans, were they? It is unfortunate that a candidate cannot be confident in their faith without being branded as some sort of kooky zealot. Usually those doing to branding are liberals who claim to be all tolerant and such.

hounddog
hounddog 08/13/11 - 08:14 am
RA, ‘Are the people of Texas

RA, ‘Are the people of Texas really this dumb?’
They are smarter than the rest of the country that voted for the idiot in the white house.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/13/11 - 08:24 am
Anyone got a link so we can

Anyone got a link so we can watch it?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/13/11 - 08:31 am
Seenit, You're right, I am a

Seenit,

You're right, I am a news junkie, God bless the internet!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/11 - 08:42 am
Brad said, "Mitt seems like

Brad said, "Mitt seems like kindof a fake, maybe I am wrong, be he seems too stiff and not real. However, maybe he is just a serious "adult" in all this."

Brad, you probably missed it over there, but Romney had a defining moment at a campaign rally. A group of liberals tried to disrupt and heckle him and he shut them down beautifully. It was one of those moments that shows the wit and character of a candidate. He is definitely not a stuffed shirt. By the way, do you get CNN, Fox, etc. over there?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/11 - 08:56 am
I don't even trust the

I don't even trust the outbursts anymore....some are planted & planned for the candidates...see how jaded I am now...they all could be actors on stage.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/11 - 09:31 am
RA...YOU put the link to

RA...YOU put the link to Perrys grades..they must be important to you...I think some are running skeeered now...Perry must be a real threat to Obama....hee haw....bring em on Texas style......if Perry can stop some of the nonesense in DC he will get the office ...I kinda like his style myself.:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/11 - 09:35 am
RA...Is that the best link

RA...Is that the best link you can come up with?? You gotta be kidding me!! hahahha hoho ......lol

copperhead
copperhead 08/13/11 - 09:41 am
Has anyone asked hussein if

Has anyone asked hussein if his wife submits to him? As it states in sharia law?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/11 - 09:44 am

Just for you Retired Army....I know you like links.

harley_52
harley_52 08/13/11 - 09:45 am
Democrats will run this 2012

Democrats will run this 2012 campaign the same way they usually do. Personal destruction. With no successes and no policies to brag about, they'll send out their brigades of muck-rakers and dig up, or invent, as much filth and garbage as it takes to destroy their opposition.

It's the only campaign strategy they know and it has worked for them in the past. Their campaign is well under way with their recent attempts to destroy the Tea Party and they've already announced their intention to destroy Romney.

We'll see how it works in the 2012 election because if it works this time, it may be the last time it's necessary.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 08/13/11 - 09:58 am
huffington post???!!!!!!

huffington post???!!!!!! really? LOL!!

hounddog
hounddog 08/13/11 - 10:13 am
Retired Army, ‘Man, you just

Retired Army, ‘Man, you just can't make this stuff up.’
You correct, here some comments by and about the community organizer.

“I don't take a dime of their [lobbyist] money, and when I am president, they won't find a job in my White House.”

“I intend to close Guantanamo, and I will follow through on that.”

“I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother — a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.”
Barack Obama
I guess he could disown his white grandmother.
March 18, 2008.
“I’ve known Reverend Wright for almost twenty years. The person I saw yesterday was not the person that I met twenty years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate and I believe that they do not portray accurately the perspective of the black church. They certainly don’t portray accurately my values and beliefs and if Reverend Wright thinks that's political posturing, as he put it, then he doesn't know me very well and based on his remarks yesterday, well I may not know him as well as I thought either.”
Barack Obama
April 29, 2008.

‘Obama seems to have latched onto Wright as the father he never had. Barack Obama Sr. abandoned Obama, Jr. and his mother at age two. (According to Time magazine, Obama, Sr. impregnated four different women and abandoned all of them and the resulting children.)’

“Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it. Not smack [heroin] though.”
Barack Obama
Admitting taking cannabis and cocaine as a teenager, in 1995 memoir 'Dreams from My Father'.

‘This budget tells our veterans that if they want increased funding for the VA they'll have to pay for it themselves.’
Barack Obama

"Obama went to socialist conferences at Cooper Union and African cultural fairs in Brooklyn and started lecturing his relatives until they worried he'd become "one of those freaks you see on the streets around here."
"Obama’s socialist backing goes back at least to 1996, when he received the endorsement of the Chicago branch of the Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) for an Illinois state senate seat. Later, the Chicago DSA newsletter reported that Obama, as a state senator, showed up to eulogize Saul Mendelson, one of the “champions” of “Chicago’s democratic left” and a long-time socialist activist. Obama’s stint as a “community organizer” in Chicago has gotten some attention, but his relationship with the DSA socialists, who groomed and backed him, has been generally ignored."

“Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. I am an African , and remain "true to native land the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a constantly affirm trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.”

hounddog
hounddog 08/13/11 - 10:47 am
RA, ‘Smell test

RA, ‘Smell test anyone?’
Yep’, mmm, the community organizer stinks, he smells like a cigarette.

Jane18
Jane18 08/13/11 - 10:59 am
Huffington Post??? Why would

Huffington Post??? Why would anyone with any intelligence or even part of a brain go to that site? Please tell me RA, you DON'T believe everything they say---please say you don't................

allhans
allhans 08/13/11 - 11:44 am
My fingers refuse to click on

My fingers refuse to click on the link. I made every effort but that zite izz chuse awful, efen vurse than MSNBC.

Was Obama the first candidate to escape perusal of his school records? We knew all about past candidates, even those that weren't elected.

After Obama leaves office, and pray that is is 2012 and not 2016, then the records will be open for ALL and sundry to scrutinize.

"There is nothing hidden that won't be revealed", God