So we come to the fork

Keep feeding the voracious Washington beast? Or put it on a diet?

It's as if, after the iceberg, the captain of the Titanic was announcing a pool party.

While unemployment has remained around 9 percent at best and the national debt has ballooned by more than a third under this president, the White House has added seven employees and some $4 million more in salary since Mr. Obama took office.

"No recession for Obama's 454 White House aides: They'll make $37,121,463 this year," blared a Los Angeles Times blog after the annual release of the White House payroll last week.

More than 140 Obama aides make over $100,000, 11 more than under the Bush administration.

No wonder Mr. Obama is addicted to raising taxes: The mushrooming costs of just his White House are but one small part of a federal behemoth whose hunger knows no bounds and who will eat us all alive if unchecked.

Reports this past week also indicate that staff raises at the White House far outpace either inflation or raises elsewhere in the country.

Meanwhile, the White House Council of Economic Advisers claims the stimulus bill saved or created 2.4 million jobs at a cost of $666 billion -- or about $278,000 per job.

When the president says he wants to create jobs, take a pass. Others can do it much less expensively.

Yep. No recession at 1600 Pennsylvania. And these are the people we're depending on to cut the deficit by Aug. 2? Pass the lifeboats!

Much preferable, and much more sane, is the approach of those, such as South Carolina's Gov. Nikki Haley and Sen. Jim DeMint, who, with other conservative leaders around the country, have signed the "Cut, Cap, Balance" pledge.

The pledge -- put forth by a broad and growing group of grassroots organizations around the country -- would provide "significant spending cuts, a statutory spending cap and a balanced budget amendment to the U.S. Constitution as preconditions to raising the federal debt limit," Haley said.

The pledge would require any rise in the nation's debt limit to be tied to substantial spending cuts and congressional support for a balanced budget down the road.

Don't we, in fact, owe that to our descendants?

"Instead of taking the easy way out and raising the debt limit," Haley said in a statement, "it's time for politicians to make the same tough decisions we're making in South Carolina."

Amen.

Even better, though not likely to gain as much steam, is our own Rep. Paul Broun's bill to actually lower the debt ceiling instead of raising it. The Georgia congressman's logic is unassailable -- which means it won't go anywhere in Washington: A family with out-of-control debt would cut back, not seek even more credit.

Talk about a fork in the road: Some in Washington -- the president and congressional Democrats -- are yearning for more money. And in a recessionary economy! How counterproductive is that? Meanwhile, Republicans want spending cuts. That's the choice being made as the White House and Congress meet to hammer out an agreement to deal with the debt ceiling deadline.

Republicans come to the table with a mandate, delivered by voters last November, to get control of federal spending. Mr. Obama is banking on that mandate to ebb with time -- and on selling class warfare in order to raise taxes on couples earning more than $250,000. In the process, he's trying to convince voters that soaking the rich will solve our problems. It won't. You could confiscate all their wealth and still have a debt problem.

Especially when government operations continue to increase their spending.

robaroo
robaroo 07/10/11 - 01:46 pm
Politics is the art of

Politics is the art of compromise. When you really want something done, there is some give and take.

What I see is politicians claiming to want deficit reductions while really supporting the status quo. "No compromise" means they just want to score talking points. They don't really want to make any hard choices.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 02:18 pm
How much "give and take" was

How much "give and take" was involved in codifying Obamacare?

If the "debt limit" is not raised, will this Country necessarily default her debt obligations, or withhold Social Security payments for the elderly?

Insider Information
Insider Information 07/10/11 - 02:33 pm
Yankee, the proper analogy is

Yankee, the proper analogy is a bucket with a hole in it.

Democrats see the empty bucket and say the problem is that it doesn't have water.

Republicans see the empty bucket and say the problem is that the bucket has a hole.

We can continue pouring money into a broken system or we can fix the system.

A Total Mystery
A Total Mystery 07/10/11 - 02:38 pm
Boy yall love to throw around

Boy yall love to throw around words like "wealth envy" but the way I see it most of you seem to have "welfare envy" at the rate you watch people just to see how they are paying for things.

It’s like you all want to create India of the 1980s right here in America.

Sorry but I don’t want to live in a country where the poor, too sick to beg any more die in the streets.

You have to understand that the welfare system begins when we don’t properly educate our youth. Now they can’t get a job, or if they can it is so poorly paid and part time they decided to try and milk the system for all they can, as that way they don’t have to work and they make the same money. And it’s not all about laziness either. I used to work with a girl who got pregnant young thanks to her stupid parents. She is working as a receptionist making slightly better than minimum wage, and is trying to work through college so she can make something of herself. The state said they were going to pull her day care assistance because she was making ‘too much money!’ She would literally have been better off quitting her job, going on welfare, than working a 40 hour week.

Once we educate our youth, they can hold proper jobs and we can build our society. Your solution is to take the welfare recipients that the system has failed and take away their lifeline. Now they can either commit crime to make their money and end up in jail; far more expensive than giving them welfare. Or they can just die, which was your other lovely response to the issue.

I’m suggesting we need to take steps to stop them getting into that position in the first place, and if they are in that position help them out of it. Your suggestion is that in the richest nation on the planet we should just let people die off ‘naturally.’ Go visit a poor area of India, see how that looks in real life, and then get back to me if you still think that’s a great idea.

Also helps when we break the myth that someone can be on welfare indefinitely. Might want to consider adding that part to the article. Here’s an article about it below, and in trying to look it up to verify it, it looks like most are saying that 5 years is the max with other states being even shorter yet.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 03:14 pm
A Total Mystery .....It's not

A Total Mystery .....It's not difficult to imagine why things are such a total mystery to you. Anybody who makes the statement that you "I used to work with a girl who got pregnant young thanks to her stupid parents" is obviously pretty confused about a lot of things in life as the rest of your post proves quite convincingly.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/10/11 - 03:17 pm
Yankee, in all seriousness, I

Yankee, in all seriousness, I don't know where the money will come from to feed everyone who wants free food and give medical care to those who can't pay for it. Certainly, you don't think other people should have to pay for those who don't pay?

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 03:50 pm
Riverman1 says...."You can't

Riverman1 says...."You can't magically take it out of corporations because a corp is only people banded together investing to get the greatest return on their money they can. They pay taxes on any money made, PLUS the corp pays taxes. The money is taxed twice. Tax corps anymore and investors will take their money elsewhere and that will be disatrous for the economy."

Exactly. We have the second highest corporate income tax rate in the entire world. Only Japan is higher and they were about to lower theirs when the earthquakes/tsunami hit. Not only that, our current government loves to badmouth corporations (and investors) calling them "greedy," trying to force corporations to unionize, and purveying them all as the evil enemy to the poor and downtrodden.

If ever there was a recipe for discouraging investment and encouraging businesses to move offshore, the present Administration has perfected it.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/10/11 - 04:09 pm
YANKEE says "Wow, what I can

YANKEE says "Wow, what I can learn from Republicans..." What I can learn from whining Democrats that conveniently forget that their party is still in control of one half of congress AND the White House is simple..."More taxes on the rich and cut defense spending." Nobody thinks the rich will get tired of pushing the wagon and leave the country, taking their money, companies, and JOBS with them. And TOTALMYSTERY, if you think our public schools aren't educating our young properly, then get behind those of us who think vouchers should be an option for our children. Public schools will have no incentive to improve otherwise. And the cheating scandal in the Atlanta public school system, and elsewhere, will happen again and again.

A Total Mystery
A Total Mystery 07/10/11 - 04:18 pm
I hate to admit this here

I hate to admit this here with all of the HATRED you all seem to have for anyone who ever used welfare....I, too, once received benefits. I still worked (very low income) during that time. After about 3 years, I was able to find a good-paying UNION job that ended up being my career for the rest of my life. I paid taxes, and bought a home with that job. For most people, welfare is NOT a career-- it's a temporary means to survive while you are struggling to better yourself.

I NEVER saw anyone at the welfare office driving a Cadillac or indulging themselves. I saw people who needed help. You have to really need it to jump through all the hoops they make for you...it's not as if you can just go to the office and say, "I need help." You have to provide all sorts of documents, and wait, and go back, and wait and wait and wait...it's no walk in the park.

I wish that all of the people soooooo eager to share stories of welfare fraud were even one tenth as eager to listen to stories about how the GOP has enabled corporations to go tax free, outsource our jobs, and destroy the middle class. Everyone with a brain, heart, and/or a teeny bit of maturity knows that for every one person abusing the welfare system, there are hundreds more who would literally be DEAD without it. Stop worrying about what the less fortunate are doing if you are so lucky as to not have to worry about where your next meal/prescription/place to sleep is coming from, and just wallow in your own self righteousness.

Now what about the corporate welfare? Does Phillip-Morris really need taxpayer money to advertise overseas? Does Coke-a-Cola really need government money for the same reasons? Do the oil companies really need their tax exemption when they are making RECORD profits? What about the banks that got us into this mess? Both BofA and CitiCorp made record profits last year and did not pay any taxes. GE made record profits and not only did not pay taxes but got a tax refund in the millions! Yet, I, who made less than $25,000 last year had to pay taxes.

carcraft
carcraft 07/10/11 - 05:21 pm
Interesting- If Obama isn't

Interesting- If Obama isn't using wealth envy why did he mention the corporate tax break for corporate jest some eight times in his speach? If Obama wasn't using wealth envy why did he mention tax breaks for oil companies? With no budget for about 3 years and prolifigate spending what else do the Democrats have but wealth envy to sell to the American people?

socks99
socks99 07/10/11 - 06:41 pm
"Well, "serious

"Well, "serious repercussions" is the understatement of the century on this issue; try total collapse of the dollar on the world market and that would force a lot of industry to turn to other currencies like the Euro. Imagine if the USD were removed as the currency of oil tranactions? It would be if the dollar collapsed due to the USA defaulting on debt, which is what WILL happen if the debt ceiling is not raised."

Officially, the U.S. has not yet defaulted on either its domestic or external liabilities. Unofficially, those debts appear unsustainable. While it's true that political consensus can head-off a near term U.S. default, lenders are still going to demand more in exchange for their capital. The 'free money' era is about done no matter what Washington says or does.

eagle
eagle 07/10/11 - 06:40 pm
Obama has to make everything

Obama has to make everything a crisis and play the class envy. We don't need to raise the debt limit...the sky won't fall and the world won't end. It's past time for D.C. to cut programs and people (why does Mrs. O. need all those aides?) and take back the last 2 pay raises that Congress voted for themselves. That's just a start.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 06:52 pm
Personally, I think all these

Personally, I think all these warnings of impending doom and "total collapse" are nothing more than political hyperbole coming from an Administration that wants (yes, I said WANTS) to drive our economy into failure. There are those who want to see it fail to prove capitalism doesn't work AND to prove our form of government doesn't work either. They reckon the people aren't smart enough to have a hand in their government and that they (the enlightened ones) should be making all our decisions for us.

Amendment XIV, U.S. Constitution, section 4 is quite clear that our debts will be paid before anything else is paid. Pensions too. The President has no options to default and he knows it. It's a scare tactic.

As for the dollar losing its value and losing its place as the monetary standard around the world......you can pretty much count on it. The Obama Administration has been running up so much debt and printing so many dollars that the value of the dollar has no place to go but down.

I think it's all part of the same plan.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/10/11 - 07:13 pm
harley_52, It isn't the admin

harley_52,

It isn't the admin that is saying it, don't you all see what will happen if America defaults on its debts?

I mean do any of you REALLY understand what that would do?

I guess not if you support not raising it.

Brad

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 07:47 pm
Brad, Yes, it is the

Brad,

Yes, it is the Administration saying it.

There is no danger of America defaulting on her debts, at least not any time soon.

I'm not sure what you mean by "REALLY understand what it would do," but I suspect I've heard and read as many theories as the next guy.

I don't recall saying I "support not raising it." Maybe you're thinking of somebody else.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/10/11 - 07:57 pm
"Theories"? See? that is what

"Theories"?

See? that is what I mean.

It is all a bluff anyway, even the Grand Old Perverts cannot be that dumb.

faithson
faithson 07/10/11 - 08:30 pm
I am of a mind that a lot of

I am of a mind that a lot of 'nut cases' out there really believe that a 'fall' from grace is exactly what this nation needs to get its house in order. A fall that is based upon some religious moral relativism. Now there are some honest fiscal conservatives like Sen Colburn, OK who have our nations best interests at heart, but for the most part these Demint nut heads are the ones pushing us over the edge.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 08:34 pm
"Theories" indeed. Tell me

"Theories" indeed.

Tell me what happened the last time the United States defaulted on her debts. Can you? If not, you're bluffing and bragging that you know something you're only theorizing. Aren't you?

And I'd be careful about the "Grand Old Perverts" and the "dumb" name calling as well, if I were you. I've been blocked from these boards before for a whole lot less.

You see, Brad, I may be impressed you've read a Wikipedia discussion of the issue. Having read it, I suppose it might be natural for some folks to conclude they've become some sort of expert on the issue. Personally, I'm not that easily impressed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/10/11 - 08:41 pm
Faithson, I'm curious what

Faithson, I'm curious what you believe DeMint has said that makes you call him a nut head?

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/10/11 - 08:50 pm
Liberals are proof of the old

Liberals are proof of the old bible verse that says, "There is none so blind as he who will not see."

hounddog
hounddog 07/10/11 - 09:18 pm
A Total, ‘Here’s an article

A Total, ‘Here’s an article about it below, and in trying to look it up to verify it, it looks like most are saying that 5 years is the max with other states being even shorter yet.’
I don’t know what you are smoking or drinking but you need to cut back. I know many people that are able to work that have been on welfare for years and then their kids go on welfare. Generation after generation of parasites

hounddog
hounddog 07/10/11 - 09:26 pm
A Total, ‘Yet, I, who made

A Total, ‘Yet, I, who made less than $25,000 last year had to pay taxes.’
That is a lie if you made less that $25,000 you DID NOT pay federal or state income tax. The fact is you would have received an 'earned income tax credit', in others words wefare.
You need to peddle your nonsense some place else.

faithson
faithson 07/10/11 - 10:06 pm
@Riverman; I just don't like

@Riverman; I just don't like Senator Demint. He embodies a political philosophy I find abhorrent. (my way or the highway) I am sure the same can be said of many on these boards about their attitude of our President.

faithson
faithson 07/10/11 - 10:26 pm
over posted, sorry guys and

over posted, sorry guys and gals

faithson
faithson 07/10/11 - 10:25 pm
awesome rain storm

awesome rain storm

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/11 - 08:04 am
Faithson said, "@Riverman; I

Faithson said, "@Riverman; I just don't like Senator Demint."

Those subjective feelings hit us all, I suppose.