Who's fighting for women?

Inhumane treatment of women under Islam is beneath contempt

Perhaps the only downside to Osama bin Laden's killing was that it took the spotlight away from Lara Logan.

The same night as bin Laden's death, the CBS News correspondent went on the show 60 Minutes for her first and last interview on her violent sexual assault at the hands of a "jubilant" Egyptian mob celebrating the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak.

It's a shame, because the Logan story could've helped the world focus on the treatment of women under Islam -- although the mob was also fueled by anti-Semitism, and false claims that Logan was a Jew.

Not to worry -- stories of Muslim outrages toward women are sure to keep coming.

Take one of the latest, for example: It has now come out that, as one report says, Egyptian women at a March 9 protest were "beaten, given electric shocks, strip-searched, threatened with prostitution charges and forced to submit to virginity checks."

Adding outrage to insult is the Egyptian military's nonsensical reason for the virginity tests: An Egyptian military official explains that they didn't want the women to come back later and falsely claim they'd been sexually assaulted by the military.

So the women were sexually assaulted so they couldn't lie about having been sexually assaulted. Nice.

Even after the report broke, the Egyptian military official, unbelievably, defended the women's treatment by saying, "The girls who were detained were not like your daughter or mine." Why? Because they had the audacity to camp out for the protest with Egyptian males in the area.

"We wanted to prove that they weren't virgins in the first place," the official said.

Yes, and to prove that Egyptian troops didn't rape them. Apparently, in their eyes, it's not rape if the women have ever had sex before. But what else can you call coerced exams?

Examples of how inhumanely women are treated in many Islamic nations are legion -- and likely but the tip of a very, very ugly iceberg. We recommend reading Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, as well as other books exposing the hideous treatment of women under Islam.

A Saudi woman was jailed for nearly 10 days recently for the heinous crime of driving a car. She was released only after promising to end her involvement in the Women2Drive campaign she helped initiate.

How is the treatment of women under Islam in Africa, the Mideast and elsewhere any better, any more moral, than apartheid?

How many more women must be assaulted and wronged and treated like chattel before the world has had enough?

copperhead
copperhead 06/19/11 - 10:11 pm
islam is the most peaceful

islam is the most peaceful and tolerant religion on the planet! All they need is tolerance and understanding. Open your hearts and souls to their tolerance and peacefulness. Please try to understand them!

copperhead
copperhead 06/19/11 - 10:13 pm
islam is the most peaceful

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/11 - 11:16 pm
"If this kind of oppression

"If this kind of oppression were aimed at, say, blacks rather than women, the world would rise up in righteous indignation -- as it did against South Africa."

There's something troubling with that logic. It's kind of like saying it's wrong if you rose up against discrimination against blacks and are not rising up against discrimination against women. Given discrimination against women is wrong, but so was discrimination against blacks.

Correcting one wrong does not make people at blame for not correcting other wrongs. Not correcting the discrimination against women is wrong by itself and needs no reference to the wrongs against blacks being corrected. Were we wrong to stop black oppression if we don't now help Muslim women?

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 06/19/11 - 11:33 pm
Copperhead 1.5 billion

Copperhead 1.5 billion Muslims practice their faith everyday peacefully. Stop judging one group based on the actions of a few. Do you want people judging Christianity solely on the "merits" Fred Phelps brings it???

JM88
JM88 06/20/11 - 02:02 am
The way liberals reliably

The way liberals reliably come to the defense of Islam despite the religion's horrific treatment of women is one of the biggest contradictions I've ever seen.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/11 - 06:30 am
"Stop judging one group based

"Stop judging one group based on the actions of a few. Do you want people judging Christianity solely on the "merits" Fred Phelps brings it???"

Citibank, take your own advice. You do it every day on here.

Inhumane treatment of women or men, black or white, is wrong.

copperhead
copperhead 06/20/11 - 07:10 am
JesusSavesAtCitiBank, you

JesusSavesAtCitiBank, you seem to have misread my comment. I was saying that muslims are the most peaceful and most tolerant people on earth. None of them can do any wrong. I agree that anyone that opposes them should be enslaved or killed. I agree that women should have no rights and should be servants to men. muslims are great! JSACB,you would do well to heed your own advise. It is the young christians that are a threat. The muslims are our friends and love America. They want only what is best for us and will enforce their beliefs on us at gun point if need be. Convert today and avoid the rush!

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 06/20/11 - 07:32 am
LOL...INC...I was just

LOL...INC...I was just laughing about the same thing...talk about" pot calling the kettle black"...typical liberal.......

draksig
draksig 06/20/11 - 08:05 am
Someone must have a really

Someone must have a really twisted definition of peaceful and tolerant.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/11 - 09:37 am
Now let me see....women

Now let me see....women finally got the right to vote in 1920....they had to protest & fight to get it......yes we do have freedoms here that others don't have.....what we see on tv is the samething we went through 100 years ago.....I think we managed to sway the change slowly but surely...
We can't fight every battle for everybody in every country.....look at us now.......with the internet-tv-24 hour news everyday.....I think other countries will want the same freedoms & will strive for that with or w/o our help.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/11 - 09:41 am
Keep in mind....we did burn

Keep in mind....we did burn women to death in Salem.......I'm sure some would say that was barbaric.

Beck Tears
Beck Tears 06/20/11 - 09:51 am
Cooperhead: If people

Cooperhead: If people actually read the bible, and followed it's instructions- everyone would just be as violent. However people pick and choose what they want to follow- so the entire book and faith is irrelevant anyways. Same with the Muslims. None of these silly myths are immune from people acting inhuman- everyone does it.

One of my favorite things about Christians- when a Christian does something not Christ like, they are quick to point out that person really isn't a Christian. However when a Muslim does something, it is assumed that all Muslims are like that the small groups we see in the papers. No Christians comes to the defense of Islam and say "Well that person isn't a true Muslim by their behavior, so lets' not judge that religion based on a small group."

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/11 - 09:56 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/11 - 09:59 am
Amazing how we forget all the

Amazing how we forget all the crazy things we have done right here in the good ole USA.......

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/20/11 - 10:02 am
Beck Tears, You have no

Beck Tears, You have no understanding of Christians, Christianity, the Bible or God. I would elaborate, but it is a complete waste of time. Your comments are better suited to another topic.

Beck Tears
Beck Tears 06/20/11 - 10:10 am
Yeah, I have a zero

Yeah, I have a zero understanding of the Bible, because I've only read it a few times. And you're right- I'll never understand Christians, people who never act Christ like.

Beck Tears
Beck Tears 06/20/11 - 10:17 am
From the bible on Women's

From the bible on Women's inferiority.... All but the last one comes from the New Testament. The old version, which Jesus said is still in effect, is much more harsh.

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." -I Corinthians 11:3

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." -I Corinthians 11:8-9

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. -I Timothy 2:11-14

""Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." -Ephesians 5:22-24

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." -I Corinthians 14:34-35

"Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." -Genesis 3:16

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/11 - 10:26 am
Lordy-lordy miss

Lordy-lordy miss claudy......

Actually I can't live by those rules.......sorry.

Jane18
Jane18 06/20/11 - 10:28 am
Willow(and others) please

Willow(and others) please don't waste your time and explanations on people like Beck and Citibank. You know that from the Bible there are many that are in a "stupor". And guess what? It's for their own good---hopefully. Beck, you could read the Bible a thousand times, and I doubt you would "see" and "hear" what GOD is telling us. You lack the knowledge and wisdom of Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic.

Jane18
Jane18 06/20/11 - 10:31 am
Oh man! Beck just proved me

Oh man! Beck just proved me correct with his 10:17 comment..........

Beck Tears
Beck Tears 06/20/11 - 10:41 am
Fun fact Jane18- I do speak

Fun fact Jane18- I do speak Hebrew!! Are you one of those people who reads the English version only, and claims that things are not translated properly whenever there is something negative- like women's inferiority is promoted so much through these books? Since I do speak Hebrew, I can make a much longer list on the old testament- or Torah as I was forced to study.

Also- I'm pretty clear on what the authors of the book Christians worship wanted.... which was for women to be silent and submissive. You can re-read I Timothy 2:11-14 if you want too.

Point is- all of the religions are silly. What makes it even sillier is when people use direct quotes from your books, the answer is "Oh, you just don't understand what god wants, and you can't speak Aramaic or Greek, so you never will. So ignore the quotes from the book I worship." Of course I'm willing to bet no one here speaks Aramaic... and I bet no one speaks Arabic, or has read Islam's holy book- but of course we can all judge and look down on all Muslims since a few behave so horribly- and it's because of the book no one has read. Always remember, you can't "see" and "hear" what ALLAH is telling us.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/20/11 - 11:04 am
Hmmm, getting deep in here.

Hmmm, getting deep in here.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/20/11 - 11:14 am
Beck Tears and et

Beck Tears and et al,
Christians are not Christ, just people with a desire to accept Christ as their Savior and be changed. That change is a long, slow journey filled with failed relationships, difficult circumstances and pain which are the tools of the transformation process. Every Christian that you meet is at a different point of their own journey which can make the encounter more or less helpful and enjoyable. The same journey is happening to non believers, just without the transformation part. Encounters with non believers are not always "a day at the beach" either. God begins that work upon our acceptance of Jesus Christ as the Savior, but the perfection as a Christian is not complete until His second coming.

Not accepting Christ based on the failings and humanity of mankind is not even logical, in fact, it is blind insanity. You judge nothing else in life based on others, so why judge Jesus Christ? You do know, that He , not us, is ultimately the one you are judging, do you not?

You cite scripture out of context only to prove you have no understanding whatsoever of God, His Word or His people.
This makes as much sense as me choosing any book of your choice and selecting individual sentences out of the paragraph from a multitude of chapters, to make an argument against the text! How manipulative, cunning, and dishonest , huh?

What I am hearing loud and clear by your selection of scriptures is that you have not had very good relationships with men and that it has brought a lot of pain in your life. You also view God's Word as just a list of do's and don'ts that you can't live up to. How sad that you feel this way and have missed the heart of God, love, forgiveness and redemption.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/11 - 11:15 am
I cringe when I see some of

I cringe when I see some of the treatment women recieve in many countries.......beaten-raped-stoned----held back in every way......but at the same time I realize we can only do so much....can we free every woman-every country from these absurd treatments......which country do we choose to help??
Can the USA continue to be the police dog for all...I would say our problems here are crying out over & over.....no, we can't.
The money has to come from somewhere.....we are broke.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/11 - 11:19 am
Beck Tears, you can read or

Beck Tears, you can read or study the words in the Bible all day, every year but unless you have the gift of the Holy Spirit to help you understand what you are reading you will never get it. You may speak Hebrew which is what the Old Testament is written in but the New Testament is in Greek which Christians usually follow since we are covered by the New Covenant. Get out of the Old Testament and see what Jesus Christ has to say in the New Testament.

Religion is silly.....how about relationship? That's what is important. God is not saying women are inferior. He is saying that men should be the spiritual leader of the household, He is the head just as Christ is the head of the church, the body of believers. Go back and do some REAL research of what the scriptures mean instead of relying on your own understanding.

Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding"

Until you do this.....you'll never understand the Holy Scriptures.

Lemmywinks
Lemmywinks 06/20/11 - 11:56 am
ICL and Willow...always an

ICL and Willow...always an excuse. I grew up in a Christian family. I've read the Bible more than once. I went to church daily until I was old enough that my parents gave me my own choice in how I wanted to worship or not worship. So yes I do understand your religion...obviously better then you do since you all insist on judging and condemning any and everyone who won't conform to your beliefs.

Beck Tears
Beck Tears 06/20/11 - 12:06 pm
Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the

That's the problem. You used Proverbs- which is NOT from the New Testament, rather from the Old Testament. It's weird for someone to tell me to get out of the Old Testament, only to use a direct quote from it, to try and dismiss verses from the New Testament- which are not taken out of context by the way. It's very clear that the scriptures put women second to men. I purposely only used New Testament verses (Minus one, where it's a direct quote from your god in Genesis). And to be clear- I'm a man. Not sure where someone believes that I "have not had very good relationships with men and that it has brought a lot of pain in your life."

Those scriptures I used are quoted directly from the most commonly used bible in America. It doesn't vary much between different versions, and language. The status of women are the same- second to men. So let's not play the game of I don't understand what words mean, or I need a holy spirit to understand the verses I used earlier. Don't be like Bill Clinton and say "It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is."

I feel bad. Whenever you hear a story of a woman who stays with her man even though he abuses her, because she tells her friends and family "Oh, he hits me because he cares. He's really sweet, you just don't understand him." That's what I'm feeling like right now reading comments of people trying to justify scripture that states women are second class to men.

Lemmywinks
Lemmywinks 06/20/11 - 12:12 pm
DO you(ICL, Willow,

DO you(ICL, Willow, Copperhead, etc) really think you can't find "Christians" who murder and kill ? I said last night and I'll keep on saying it. 1.5 billion Muslims manage to practice their religion in peace Every. Single. Day.

Why here are some stories about murdering Christians:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-07-27-baby-killed_N.htm Good Christian woman kills and eats her baby.

http://www.charismamag.com/index.php/news/30369-christian-reportedly-kil... Christian kills a Hindu

More,
http://answeringchristians.blogspot.com/2010/04/christian-kills-cousin-o... Christian kills his cousin for wearing a "skimpy dress" Oh, that's almost what the OP is talking about!

http://getoutofdebt.org/1375/sunday-930-pm-christian-kills-wife-because-... This lovely Christian man killed his wife over some debts.

Honest question, do you have any idea how hypocritical you all sound ? I don't think you do. You may want to sit down and reflect on your attitude because I find it quite sad and something to be pitied, not admired. Honestly ask yourself WWJD , do you think the answer would be an anti-Muslim tirade and vilifying one group of BILLIONS of people based on the actions of a VERY FEW extremist groups???

According to the official FBI database, only 6% of terrorist attacks on U.S. soil from 1980 to 2005 can be attributed to Muslims.

Go to a site called "The Skeptics Annotated Bible" and search "violence" in the Bible. There's far more violence in the Holy Bible than in the Holy Koran.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/20/11 - 12:14 pm
Lemmywinks, I didn't ask

Lemmywinks, I didn't ask anyone to understand "my religion" as I don't promote religion nor practice it. I shared my own relationship with My God. What a tremendous difference! I am sorry that all you can hear is the voice of your past. There is good news, though, the voices of those old tapes playing in your head of self judgment and self condemnation produced through dysfunctional families and unhealthy relationships can be replaced with something healthier. Life really is good, no matter what others say or believe. You are a valuable and awesome creation, made for your fullest potential. Sorry for the misunderstanding regarding my beliefs, not my intention to cause you stress.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/11 - 12:16 pm
Lemmywinks, growing up in a

Lemmywinks, growing up in a Christian home does not make you knowledgeable of the Holy scriptures. Only a personal relationship with Christ. It is not my place to judge nor condemn anyone, and I surely can't force anyone to believe in Jesus Christ, only to speak His Word. If you disagree, that is your choice.

Fees would apply to show dogs

Performance and show animals won't be exempt from steep annual licensing fees for owners who chose not to spay or neuter pets under a requirement.