Are you better off now?

As 2012 nears, liabilities of the Obama administration keep piling up

At least one world body predicts China will replace America as the world's leading economy by 2016.

What are we doing to prevent that?

Consider:

We've got a president who is presiding over chronically high unemployment; a growing energy conundrum and stifling high fuel prices that threaten to destroy the already-muted economic recovery; a historic buildup of a national debt that could bring down the dollar if not the country; unprecedented government takeovers of the auto, finance and health care industries; and a foreign policy that looks intentionally incoherent.

In addition to all the above, home prices in most major cities are still falling.

"The Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller 20-city index shows price declines in 19 cities from January to February," said one news report. "The index fell for the seventh straight month."

The index indicates the housing market is "within a hair's breadth of a double dip" recession.

Quoting the S&P report, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel newspaper writes, "South Florida home prices fell 6.2 percent in February from a year ago and there remains 'very little, if any, good news about housing' ..."

And after being hailed as the first black president, what has he done for black America, other than lift its spirits?

"It's never easy to tell someone you like that he's a disappointment," writes African-American columnist DeWayne Wickham in a USA Today column headlined "Obama breaks vow with jobless blacks" -- noting that black unemployment is 15.5 percent, nearly double what it was before Obama's election.

Wickham writes that he doesn't blame Obama for the economy and the state of black America -- "But I do fault him for not doing more to fix this problem."

Indeed, since Mr. Obama has been in office, his priorities have been: government spending, which ultimately failed to turn the economy around; increasing government control over health care; ending the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy for gays in the military; and now immigration reform.

Has he been consciously or negligently avoiding the black issues Wickham writes about?

Considering his ineffectiveness in other areas, maybe it's a blessing in disguise if he has.

Mr. Obama's campaign manager said this week they will have to have to "scratch and claw" to get him re-elected. Well, certainly that would be preferable to running on his record.

When you look at the Obama record -- chronic unemployment, staggering debt, degradation of the dollar, unprecedented growth of government and more -- you wonder why we'd even think of signing up for this again.

Or why we did the first time.

Our question isn't whether this president was born in America.

Our question is: When will he start acting like it?

Techfan
Techfan 05/02/11 - 12:08 am
How about when he ordered the

How about when he ordered the attack that finally got Bin Laden?

ECDanes
ECDanes 05/02/11 - 12:37 am
Talk about an editorial they

Talk about an editorial they wish they could take back! Talk about bad timing! Anyway, to Obama's credit, he said during his campaign that he would not hesitate to go into Pakistan with or without their consent to get Osama Bin Laden... and he was criticized for that.. that such talk would be damaging to our relationship with or "ally" Pakistan. Well it looks like his strategy worked. I think it is pretty obvious that senior Pakastani officials were harboring him all along and leading us on all this time.

ECDanes
ECDanes 05/02/11 - 02:00 am
Not sure if I am better off

Not sure if I am better off now, but Osama Bin Laden is certainly a lot deader now!

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 05/02/11 - 04:58 am
Yes. Now that Obama has

Yes. Now that Obama has silenced the birthers, truthers, Donald Trump and Osama bin Laden in the same week, my life is a little better, thank you very much.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/02/11 - 05:06 am
Bill Clinton demanded to see

Bill Clinton demanded to see Obama's certification from the CIA that Bin Laden was in the compound before the attack.

Far as being better off, the words of the Obama supporter come to me again. "I won't have to pay for my house anymore, gas is going to be cheap and we're all going to have a car."

One of those is right anyway. Most Obama supporters quit paying for their houses.

fred1217
fred1217 05/02/11 - 05:40 am
I'd like to thank President

I'd like to thank President Obama and his administration for providing the great leadership in finally "smoking out" Osama Bin Laden. America is a safer place than it was four years ago when all we got was empty threats and rhetoric from a clueless administration. Riverman1, I saw many a for sale sign on those "McMansions" in Columbia County, so I'm sure some of the "Right Wingers" have stopped paying for their homes also. Maybe you and Donald Trump should consider some sort of partnership. You both seem to have a knack for "trumpeting" the irrelevant. God Bless America!

carcraft
carcraft 05/02/11 - 05:50 am
I would like to thank George

I would like to thank George Bush and his enhanced interrogation techniques (approved by congress) that posters on this site objected to that lead to the information about Obama's courier. I would like to thank the CIA and military intellignce that worked for years (even before Obama was President) to track the courier. I would like to thank the US military for the courage and professionalism they demonstrated in conducting this operation. Lastly I will thank Obama for ordering and allowing the military to do what it does best!

carcraft
carcraft 05/02/11 - 05:54 am
How is gas that is double the

How is gas that is double the price when Obama took office working for you? HOw is the increasing food prices from the increased gas prices going? How are the shovel ready jobs $800 billion paid for helping our stagnant employment? I am happy Ben Laden is dead but it won't put gas in my tank or pay for my meals, or get me a job..

Techfan
Techfan 05/02/11 - 06:51 am
Dang car, you don't have a

Dang car, you don't have a job? i thought there were plenty of jobs available for people that wanted to work.

comet2u
comet2u 05/02/11 - 07:00 am
Bin Laden gone = Re-election

Bin Laden gone = Re-election in 2012. As for gas prices, all this complaining by folks who drive 60k+ BMWs, Mercedes, oversized V8 pickups who don't blink at paying $5 for a 12 oz. Coffee. I hope prices for gas go to $6/gal so that there are less peolpe on the road around here who can't follow the rules of the road and don't practice what they spend all day on Sunday learning.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 05/02/11 - 07:21 am
Wow, someone is pointing out

Wow, someone is pointing out the high unemployment levels in black America and of course no one cares, yet, if a young man robs and steals they cry about the savageness of black culture. Nice Augusta way to show your true colors!

noaharkwright
noaharkwright 05/02/11 - 07:36 am
And the award for Most

And the award for Most Awkwardly Bad Timing in the Publication of a Newspaper Editorial goes to...

charliemanson
charliemanson 05/02/11 - 08:03 am
Wonder when Mike Ryan going

Wonder when Mike Ryan going to roll out of bed and write one of his Breaking Editorials???

mary.dits
mary.dits 05/02/11 - 08:22 am
i agree with charlis manson

i agree with charlis manson again!

constituent
constituent 05/02/11 - 08:31 am
carcraft, Pres. Obama did it

carcraft,

Pres. Obama did it again, a secretly mission that invaded Libya without Congress being inform and now a secretly operation that brought the demised of Osama Bin Laden,"our president at his best again".

"I think Bush is probably the worst president in the history of the United States."the cited the war in Iraq, calling it a "total disaster" and added later:Look,everything in Washington has been lie.Weapons of mass destruction- it was a total lie."

Lorraine
Lorraine 05/02/11 - 09:06 am
Without a doubt in my mind

Without a doubt in my mind that I am far better off today. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to respond to your question.

mary.dits
mary.dits 05/02/11 - 09:16 am
we'd be awesome right now

we'd be awesome right now with mccain/palin! everyone deep down knows that.

justthefacts
22083
justthefacts 05/02/11 - 09:27 am
mary, interesting. How would

mary, interesting. How would we be worse? Specifically.

carcraft
carcraft 05/02/11 - 09:32 am
Techfan-I have a job that

Techfan-I have a job that pays over $100K per year, (spell checker and gramerian for the Chronile..just kidding)there are a lot of people still looking..I do worry about them...

kmb413
kmb413 05/02/11 - 09:39 am
To be expected the libs and

To be expected the libs and dems are out in force taking credit for Obama carrying out Bush's policies.

noaharkwright
noaharkwright 05/02/11 - 09:42 am
I understand that the

I understand that the Chronicle editorials are written in advance, but it's quite clear that the employees pulled an all-nighter to publish an outstanding paper this morning with all of the lastest details about the killing of Osama Bin Laden. So, my question is, if they could spend four or five hours putting together the information, why couldn't they have spent twenty minutes writing an editorial that wasn't embarrassingly anachronistic?

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/02/11 - 10:06 am
I don't understand why

I don't understand why everyone is slamming the article. We got Bin Laden, an accomplishment, but it's not like we've stopped terrorism. It's still out there and so are unemployment, high gas prices, etc. This accomplishment does not solve our economic crisis. Does the death of Bin Laden create more jobs? Does it permanently lower our gas prices? Does it balance our budgets?

noaharkwright
noaharkwright 05/02/11 - 10:15 am
The issue, Mr. Fan, is that

The issue, Mr. Fan, is that the timing of this is incredibly awkward for the Chronicle.

mary.dits
mary.dits 05/02/11 - 10:25 am
justthefacts, i said better.

justthefacts, i said better. try reading.

justthefacts
22083
justthefacts 05/02/11 - 10:32 am
mary, sure. I understand.

mary, sure. I understand.

bdittle
bdittle 05/02/11 - 10:37 am
What is all the complaint

What is all the complaint about gas prices? Isn't this the free market that the republicans idolize at work?? Sure, the Feds could dip further into the oil reserves, but isn't that akin to a government bailout? Or we could permit more drilling because we know that is perfectly safe (right? ...my gulf coast peps). Energy policy is long-term vision and should involve getting off the oil juice to be a real solution. It the meantime, walk a little bit. It is good for you.

Jane18
Jane18 05/02/11 - 11:28 am
Obama HAD to go through with

Obama HAD to go through with the invasion and attack! President Bush had given that order years ago. The CIA had all the intelligence, and we(America) had the people that could do it. What could he, obama, do or say? It had to be yes! Anyone want to guess which side of the gulf bin Ladens' spirit and soul is on? Luke16:19-26. I'm not judging the man, but GOD does give us discernment to know right from wrong, and yes, to know people that do wrong or right.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/02/11 - 11:31 am
noaharkwright, no need to be

noaharkwright, no need to be so formal, please feel free to call me "emergency". :-) I think the timing is perfect. The title of the article is "Are you better off now?" Extremely appropriate now given what has just happened. Including Bin Laden's death, ARE we better off now? Sure, we're all riding a wave today, but all these other issues are still there churning under the surface.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/02/11 - 11:39 am
I don't see a thing wrong

I don't see a thing wrong with the timing of this editorial; I think it's perfect timing to encourage everyone to stay focused on fixing this country's own problems. Now the really awkward timing to me is the national news media interrupting Donald Trumps' "The Apprentice" program to tell us that Obama would be coming on soon, which turned out to be nearly an hour after the show would have been over. It might have been perfect timing for Obama's agenda, since "the Donald" was rumored to be announcing his candidacy at the end of his last show in the series. Was that supposed to be last night?

Techfan
Techfan 05/02/11 - 02:10 pm
Poor Donald, and the poor

Poor Donald, and the poor people that actually watch that tripe.