Nothing to sing about

Horrible rendition of national anthem obliterated its purpose

Somewhere, there's an 89-year-old American Legion member who couldn't carry a tune with an armored personnel carrier who nonetheless could've sung a more endearing Star Spangled Banner than pop singer Christina Aguilera did before the Super Bowl Sunday night.

Aguilera completely butchered the song -- repeating one line and dropping another all together, while doing her best to jazz it up and call attention to herself.

Well, she sure did that ! So much so that she felt compelled to issue a statement afterward indicating she "got so lost in the moment of the song that I lost my place."

More likely, she got lost in her own self-aggrandizement. When did pop singers decide that showing off is more important than honoring a song -- or, in this case, the country?

There's a word -- other than "narcissism" -- for the way singers today jump around the musical scale on each syllable just to blow their own horns: "melisma."

"Music of ancient cultures used melismatic techniques to induce a hypnotic trance in the listener, useful for early mystical initiation rites ... and religious worship," says website Wikipedia.

Well, in Western music, melisma is just a device to say, "Hey, don't pay any attention to the song -- just look at what I can do!" A word of caution: If you're going to take your vocal talents out for a spin, at least know how to drive; i.e., commit the song to memory.

"In recent years," adds Wikipedia, "there has been increased criticism of melisma being abused by singers, in part due to the popularity of shows such as American Idol and the trend of contestants imitating the artists who popularized the technique."

Amen.

We think the National Football League should get that American Legion member in the future. We don't care if he can sing. But we're pretty certain he won't try to make the national anthem about his singing anyway.

sjgraci
sjgraci 02/08/11 - 02:05 am
Give it a break chronicle.

Give it a break chronicle. The girl screwed up a song and you act like she committed treason. Typical that your priorities are all out of whack. But, I guess you conservatives need another Super Bowl Wardrobe Malfunction.

Haki
Haki 02/08/11 - 02:34 am
Totally agree ACES. It should

Totally agree ACES. It should always be honored, but even more when the world is watching. I'm sorry, was Wikipedia cited?

wildman
wildman 02/08/11 - 05:35 am
Bring back the marching

Bring back the marching bands, the national anthem is a song to be sang by all, not one!

Jack Padgett
Jack Padgett 02/08/11 - 05:38 am
Why do so many people get so

Why do so many people get so enraged when some idiot burns our flag in front of a relatively small audience, but don't see any problem when a famous pop star desecrates our national anthem in front of a t.v. audience of millions?

Techfan
Techfan 02/08/11 - 05:59 am
Another wonderful musical

Another wonderful musical performance, brought to you through the courtesy of Auto-Tune.

Chillen
Chillen 02/08/11 - 09:41 am
Yes, the woman messed up in

Yes, the woman messed up in several ways. 1. She forgot the words. 2. She absolutely totally and completely butchered the song - her rendition was hideous 3. She was pitchy & off tune in places

Whoever chose her should be fired. There were perhaps 1/2 million singers or groups who could have been chosen for this honor. They had to choose this greasy performer who can't sing live?!

WW1949
WW1949 02/08/11 - 09:47 am
I hate it when a singer sings

I hate it when a singer sings the song different than the way it was meant to be sung and drags out the words or screams the tune. Do not try to jazz it up or put an urban sound to it. It is the song of our country and deserves respect.

follower 02/08/11 - 10:38 am
God works in mysterious ways.

God works in mysterious ways. Seems a little dose of humility was in order.

Haki, glad we can agree on something.

SeeYa
SeeYa 02/08/11 - 11:01 am
All branches of our military

All branches of our military have choirs and bands. And, I'm quite sure any of them would sing/play the song as written. Wildman, you are right on about it being a song to be song by all!

Elanor
Elanor 02/08/11 - 11:07 am
It would be an incredible

It would be an incredible honor for a college or HS marching band too.

burninater
burninater 02/08/11 - 12:50 pm
Really? There was

Really? There was self-aggrandizement and unnecessary bombast at the Super Bowl?

The horror!

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 02/08/11 - 02:04 pm
Come on Sam. This has nothing

Come on Sam. This has nothing to do with conservatives or liberals. You served in the US military didn't you? Those of us who are true patriots, as I am sure that you are, do not like to hear the anthem of our country butchered. I want to have chills when I hear it played or sung properly. This made me want to puke.

Jane18
Jane18 02/08/11 - 02:39 pm
Ditto, Lori. I'm still

Ditto, Lori. I'm still gagging.......................

sjgraci
sjgraci 02/08/11 - 04:17 pm
Lori I have no doubts that

Lori I have no doubts that Roger would have done a better job only because he is a better singer. But, I also have no doubts that Ms. Aguilera sang the song with respect from her heart with no intent of malice. That the chronicle suggests that she did on its editorial page is indeed their desire to create another wardrobe malfunction. These are the same folks that decried Jimi Hendrix' playing of the Star Spangled Banner on guitar after all.

It plays to only one group of people, conservatives. So yes, to them, it certainly is about liberals and conservatives and those who they think are better Americans. Kind of like that 89-year-old-Legionnaire who would likely butcher the song even worse but that's OK because he's a true patriot.

A homogeneous playing of the song over and over again certainly does not inspire or bring chills. If you are going to have American artists perform the song, be prepared for art - good and bad. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That does not mean they are being disrespectful or any less American. I'd think you would understand that.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 02/08/11 - 04:37 pm
william ayers at Georgia

william ayers at Georgia Southern, christina who trouncing the National Anthem and people saying it's ONLY a song? What kind of a nation have we reared?

ken8375309
ken8375309 02/08/11 - 05:20 pm
She did a lousy job, although

She did a lousy job, although I seriously doubt it was intentional.. There is another video that has recently surfaced showing her performance at the rehearsal and she sounded great.. I wonder how many of you could perform in front of a massive live audience, and millions of TV viewers without getting the jitters.. Get over it. Shows how petty some of us really are..

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 02/08/11 - 05:16 pm
Sam I certainly see your

Sam
I certainly see your side, but we will just have to agree to disagree. Some things to me are sacred. This is one of those things. Kind of like removing your hats at the singing of the anthem and rising when the American flag passes. I still don't care for the Jimmy Hendrix version, but Roger loves it. He and I agree to disagree on that one. All a matter of opinion. See you around town.

ken8375309
ken8375309 02/08/11 - 09:22 pm
"What kind of a nation have

"What kind of a nation have we reared?"

I often ask myself the same question when I constantly read disturbing hateful comments coming from both sides... People that claim to be patriots, no less.

dani
dani 02/08/11 - 11:08 pm
Claims, Ken? Didn't you read

Claims, Ken? Didn't you read the comments before posting?

ken8375309
ken8375309 02/08/11 - 11:35 pm
Dani, I read the comments

Dani,
I read the comments every day, and have for years.. And yes, I did read every comment on this article.. Tell me again please, what is your question?

Taxpayers duck financial hit

Taxpayers dodged a financial punch when a judge ruled this month Augusta doesn't have to pay attorney fees to the company that successfully sued the city over its bidding process.