A world of difference

Even in a crowded, hectic world, one person can change everything

Time magazine seems to be the only entity in the world that doesn't view its Person, Place or Thing of the Year award as an honor. It wants the freedom to also reward abject villainy for "making a difference" in the world.

OMG, whatever!

Well, whether it be an honor or just a spotlight on impact-making, Time's choice of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg as Person of the Year for 2010 is inspired and absolutely spot on.

Time admits to having considered Wikileaks founder and accused sex offender Julian Assange (see villainy, above) and the Tea Party as well -- surprising, since the conservative movement to save the country financially hasn't exactly been the darling of the liberal media, of which Time is a card-carrying member.

But while the Tea Party, the largest and most effective grassroots movement in America since the Civil Rights era, is deserving for having changed this country this year, Zuckerberg and his Facebook phenomenon have changed the world -- forever.

It's not even close.

It's a little scary, since no one, not even Zuckerberg, can say what the longterm effect of Facebook will be on humanity. But for now, it seems to have made it better -- and to have accelerated the speed with which we barrel recklessly into the 21st century.

If you don't use Facebook, you may not know what you're missing. If you use Facebook, you're in big company: Some 550 million humans have a Facebook account -- equivalent to the third-largest country in the world. That amounts to one out of every 12 people on the orb -- astonishing, considering how many people exist miles away from the nearest computer.

Slightly more people eat bread than use Facebook. It's creeping up on water-users as well.

It's amazing, and wholly unprecedented in human history -- and all the more wondrous when you consider that Zuckerberg and most of his cohorts are under 30. Perhaps LeBron James, who left high school to be a professional basketball superstar, should have been sufficient to warn us about the Attack of the 20-Somethings.

Zuckerberg is the mastermind.

The reason is, his baby is a monster prodigy: With Facebook, you can get on your computer and go straight to a virtual room to trade views or mere salutations with only people you've invited into the room. They get out of line, you hide them -- like leaving a horrid conversation at a cocktail party, except they don't even know you're leaving.

Best of all, you keep in constant contact -- as much or as little as you want -- with people you care about. You may never think enough of Bob to actually pick up a phone or write an e-mail to him -- and you may not know his number or address, for that matter. But on Facebook, all you need to know is his name or face, and he yours -- and you can have a five-second conversation every few years.

Moreover, by a never-ending succession of introductions to friends of friends, Facebook puts the network in networking.

And that high school sweetheart? Facebook acts like a free private eye to find them. You can get in touch or keep in touch with as many old or new friends as you like.

In short, it's changing the nature of friendships and empowering individuals like few things before.

And, in the end, it's those individuals who will determine whether it's for good or ill, as Time likes to say.

Mark Zuckerberg has merely started the global conversation.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/22/10 - 12:21 am
An editorial on the merits

An editorial on the merits and future of Facebook? Are you kidding me? Is the Chronicle taking cues from Stacy Eidson? Nice potshot at Assange, btw. Since when is not wearing a condom and being good with the ladies considered a sexual offense?

Emerydan
Emerydan 12/22/10 - 01:48 am
I agree with omnomnom.. is

I agree with omnomnom.. is Stacey Eidson now penning the editorials at The Chronicle? Lord help us if that's the case.

not a sheep
not a sheep 12/22/10 - 04:39 am
Did the editorial really just

Did the editorial really just have "OMG, whatever!" in it?

peace4784
peace4784 12/22/10 - 06:28 am
Yes, Facebook is here. It

Yes, Facebook is here. It has become a psychological magnet and refuge for the narcisstic, the gossipers, the busybody, the serial friend collector, the male and female players, and whatever the human mind can imagine. It is slowly displacing the dog as man's best friend. It's an accomplice to the cheating spouse or domestic partner and a directory to those in the market for a booty call. It's a virtual fantasy island. It's a candy store to criminals who collect information from dummies who mindlessly divulge too much personal information. Ultimately, Facebook is just like a human prodigy with unlimited potential who possess both good and bad qualities.

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 12/22/10 - 07:31 am
If it has both good and bad

If it has both good and bad qualities, then why do you never mention any of the good ones?

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 12/22/10 - 07:33 am
x

x

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/22/10 - 07:45 am
LOL...peace it must be so sad

LOL...peace it must be so sad to be you.....I will pray for you. Merry Christmas!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/22/10 - 07:48 am
Facebook represents the whole

Facebook represents the whole new, life changing Internet social interaction movement. It's not only FB, it's the chatrooms, message boards, dating screening sites, health sites and every other interest we can imagine.

The person in Ludowici, Georgia with an interest in the art of Nepal, can discuss it with others all over the world at the push of a few keys. As we have learned right here, traditional newspapers are being reinvented with the online editions and new ways of gathering the news. The Pope will have a website before long, I'll bet. Maybe even God. OMG.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/22/10 - 07:50 am
By the way, I read one of the

By the way, I read one of the first things investigators of various types search is Facebook when they are trying to find out bad things about someone. Heh.

curly123053
curly123053 12/22/10 - 08:41 am
I got introduced to Facebook

I got introduced to Facebook in October 2008 when we took my brother to Houston for cancer treatments. A member of my church told me it was a good and easy way to keep in touch with my family and friends back home. I learned then that my church even had it's own page on Facebook, and I was able to send updates to church members. I was even able to chat with my Pastor on Facebook daily during my 7 months in Houston. Facebook has been a easy and secure way to keep in touch with extended family members in Tucson, NYC, Vegas, and Pennsylvania. And yes, Facebook has been secure so far. The only ones I see on my Facebook pages are the ones I want to see. I have never had a problem with it. As far as investigators being on there I have no problem with that as I have nothing to hide and I am not into anything illegal. Whatever is takes to keep it clean I am all for it.

soldout
soldout 12/22/10 - 09:41 am
For me email is a time saver

For me email is a time saver and a great tool while facebook is time consuming. If something is important I always seem to hear about it so I never go to facebook. If you like it fine, but I like the one on one of emails. Relationships are all we will carry to heaven but one on one is the best way to grow those for me.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs