Frantom comes alive

Do you feel like we do? Then choose Sean Frantom for District 10

Voters often must lament choosing between the lesser of two evils. In this case, they have the providential task of picking between the greater of two goods.

Either Sean Frantom or Grady Smith would make excellent Augusta commissioners for "super" District 10, succeeding the term-limited Don Grantham.

But no other local body has benefited as much from Augusta's burgeoning youth movement as the Augusta Commission. Sean Frantom would be a marvelous extension of that promising change.

We love the 31-year-old's energy, enthusiasm and forward-looking ideas. We think he's in it for the right reasons -- because he wants to serve Augusta and help it improve across the geographic and economic spectrum.

When asked his priorities, he talks first of beefing up security and fighting crime -- not just through the sheriff's department, but also by seeking more accountability throughout the community -- from government department heads to elected officials to ordinary citizens. His call on citizens to take better care of their property is mindful of the "broken window" theory of crime reduction, which holds that if you take care of the little things, the big things improve as well.

He supports giving the city administrator the power to hire and fire department heads, an authority which is sorely lacking: Currently, a department head must run afoul of six of the 10 commissioners to be fired, which gives renegade employees unwarranted political insulation.

Frantom is founding member and president of the Young Professionals of Augusta, a civic club that brings together up-and-coming leaders. It's a significant effort to grow a culture of positivity in the community and to get young leaders communicating with each other. The group has been exposed to a number of distinguished speakers on various topics, and has performed community service projects and hosted charitable events.

He's also a member of the First Saturday cleanup crew that has targeted areas of the city for beautification -- an effort he, and we, would like to see broadened to truly make this the "Garden City" Augusta likes to call itself.

A graduate of Georgia College and State University with a BBA in management, and an executive in the employee staffing business, Frantom's outgoing and upbeat demeanor are still badly needed on an Augusta Commission that has made great strides in recent elections but admittedly had a long way to go from the bad old days of walkouts, votes thwarted by abstentions, and racial division.

We're almost there. A vote for Sean Frantom for Super 10 -- which encompasses commission Districts 3, 6, 7 and 8 -- will be another huge step toward a more united and cohesive Augusta.

Please vote for Sean Frantom for District 10 Augusta commissioner in the Nov. 2 election.

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/14/10 - 01:36 am
**I retract my previous

**I retract my previous comments

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/13/10 - 03:27 am
WOW, this is a VERY awesome

WOW, this is a VERY awesome and welcome surprise! Supporting the new and young candidate against the machine? That is progress in Augusta.

Great choice Chronicle!

Go SEAN!

Brad

justputtin
justputtin 10/13/10 - 07:04 am
Sean is going to be (already

Sean is going to be (already is) great for Augusta. Vote for Sean and see a young, energized individual work for the betterment of this city. He is ethical, moral, and worthy of your trust. He is the puppet of no one. He is on his own and not being persuaded to run by an exiting commissioner to continue to fulfill that same commissioners agenda. Sean is the best thing that could happen to this city. Vote for progress, vote for Sean!

slippery 25
slippery 25 10/13/10 - 07:12 am
Sean has already proven that

Sean has already proven that he cares about all of the people of Augusta.

PositiveThinker
PositiveThinker 10/13/10 - 08:50 am
Great article!! I am proud

Great article!! I am proud of Sean, his entire team, and all that they've accomplished so far. As a personal friend of Sean's... I know that he has heart, common sense and gumption. I'm expecting big things from this young man.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 10/13/10 - 09:12 am
I have already voted for Sean

I have already voted for Sean and encouraging others t do likewise.We need the young bloods to move Augusta forward.

OJP
OJP 10/13/10 - 09:35 am
Go Sean! I'm glad the ACES

Go Sean! I'm glad the ACES recognizes his potential!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/13/10 - 09:56 am
I sent identical letters to

I sent identical letters to Frantom and Grady Smith asking their position on a particular issue that is important to me. I even enclosed stamped envelopes to facilitate their reply. Only Sean Frantom replied. I guess Grady Smith doesn't want to be bothered responding to his constituents by mail, even if the constituent is paying the postage.

I'm voting for Frantom.

richcopropertyowner
richcopropertyowner 10/13/10 - 11:10 am
To Little Lamb: You might

To Little Lamb: You might want to call Mr. Smith as opposed to sending a letter. He would probably rather speak to you personally. Just a thought. I'm sure it is not a point of "being bothered", he just doesn't get to drive around in a little truck all day.
And, to justputtin: Please let the voters of Richmond County know how anyone could be "ethical, moral and worthy of our trust" who is not a taxpayer in our county? Matter of public record Mr. Frantom owns property in Columbia County. Nor, do I know of any business he runs in Richmond County. Aren't there a lot of questions that need to be answered before we really go off the deep end?
My vote is, of course, for Grady Smith. He is a carbon copy of NO ONE, is up front , honest, ethical and, yes, trustworthy. You will get the truth whether you want it or not! The support he has entitled to this community is a compliment to us all.
Please do your homework and ask questions, that's all. Do not take anything at face value or we will really be in a mess.

countyman
20090
countyman 10/13/10 - 12:51 pm
I think I just fell out of my

I think I just fell out of my chair. I can't believe the chronicle isn't behind the good ole boy Grady Smith. If you watch the news, anytime there's something going on in Augusta. They have to interview Don Gratham who is another Grady Smith.

The Augusta Young Professionals are a awesome group under the leadership of Mr. Frantom...

Don Gratham, Jimmy Smith, JR Hatney, and Jerry Brigham all need to go.. The old leadership doesn't resemble the new Augusta.

richcopropertyowner
richcopropertyowner 10/13/10 - 12:03 pm
Could someone please explain

Could someone please explain (in detail) just what the "new Augusta" is.

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/13/10 - 12:15 pm
richcopropertyowner, not sure

richcopropertyowner, not sure what it is but I think its in the Target shopping center.

richcopropertyowner
richcopropertyowner 10/13/10 - 12:39 pm
omnomnom, would that be the

omnomnom, would that be the one in Columbia County?

richcopropertyowner
richcopropertyowner 10/13/10 - 01:12 pm
Failed to mention I am

Failed to mention I am surprised the AC staff is old enough to remember Peter Frampton. The take on his album/song lyrics is (someone help me come up with the right adjective).
And, countyman: Can't help but wonder how many subscribers AC's gonna lose since it's been us "good ole boys" supporting them for all these good ole years.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/13/10 - 01:14 pm
Richcopropertyowner

Richcopropertyowner wrote:

Little Lamb, you might want to call Mr. Smith as opposed to sending a letter. He would probably rather speak to you personally.

Each of us needs to beware of a candidate who will not answer serious letters. How responsive would we expect him to be after being elected if he won't respond in writing before the election?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/13/10 - 01:24 pm
In his criticism of local TV

In his criticism of local TV news media, Countyman makes no sense when he writes:

Well of course the TV news media interviews Don Grantham. Grantham is commissioner of a “super district” — District 10. As a super district commissioner, his opinions, ideas, and rationale for voting are newsworthy. Countyman should not criticise news media for interviewing commissioners.

Chillen
Chillen 10/13/10 - 01:29 pm
When I first saw the title of

When I first saw the title of this article at a glance I thought it said "Frampton comes alive" I thought Peter was staging a comeback tour ha-ha!

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/13/10 - 01:47 pm
LL.. the media interviews

LL.. the media interviews Grantham because they know he is the defacto mayor...not Deke.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/13/10 - 01:51 pm
Good observation,

Good observation, Emerydan.

On another subject, I am scratching my head trying to figure out what RichCoPropertyOwner meant by this:

[Grady Smith] just doesn't get to drive around in a little truck all day.

What does that have to do with his failure to reply to my letter?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/13/10 - 01:52 pm
richcopropertyowner, The 'new

richcopropertyowner,

The 'new Augusta' he is talking about is the one where progressive ideas and unity replace failed leadrship and division. He is talking about working for everyone instead of the few.

He is talking about moving forward with good focus as opposed to sects against each other based on race, money, or which side of town you come from.

He is talking about things that will make a difference. He istalking about hard work for the people instead of lazy inaction.

In other words, he is talking about leaving people like you where you really belong, in our old Augusta of the past. The old Augusta where the so-called 'leaders' keep the people divided so they can control us. Where the good ol boys like Don and his cabal make the choices without the sunlight on them and cut back room insider deals to enrich a few at the expense of the many.

New Augusta has a bright future with new dynamic leaders like Sean, old Augusta is chained to the past and stagnant with old ideas and tired leadership.

Does that help you understand what we mean by a New Augusta?

Probably not given your postings but just look how many supporters of Sean are on the 'internets' and you will see where his leadership would take us.

Hope that helps you understand us young whipper snappers,

Brad

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/14/10 - 01:38 am
I retract my previous comment

I retract my previous comment

Codeman
Codeman 10/13/10 - 01:59 pm
Well said

Well said Brad.

richcopropertyowner,

Who cares where he owns property? Sean has done more for this community in the past year then your boy Grady has in his life. Which says a lot about how much he has done for the city of Augusta. Sean may be the most active person in Augusta. It would be hard to top Helen, but he may actually be more active then her. I'll take that over the same BS we have has in the commission over the years.

Here's to actually getting things accomplished!

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/14/10 - 01:39 am
I retract my previous

I retract my previous comments

richcopropertyowner
richcopropertyowner 10/13/10 - 03:32 pm
Well, Brad, you certainly

Well, Brad, you certainly clarified the new Augusta. I had no idea it would be run from the internet.

I thought this post was basically for opinions, facts & respectful conversation. Could you tell me what you mean by "people like me"? I respectfully tell you that people like me are the ones that pay taxes, support the local economy and local businesses and have done so for many, many years. You have no right to tell anyone where they belong. You "young whipper snappers" don't have all the answers as you might think you do. And, furthermore, you should be very careful of making a statement like "cut back room insider deals to enrich a few at the expense of the many". Maybe Augusta would like that to be clarified.
According to your post, this guy seems too good to be true and will get all this turned around on his own. Really, now.

And, your disrespect toward a certain age group is not appealing at all.
You should be ashamed of yourself. You might could learn a thing or two from them. Therefore, no, I do not understand any of you at all.

And, sorry Little Lamb, maybe you haven't seen Mr. Frantom's little truck around town with a big sign in the bed at any given time during the day. Just wonder if that's all he has to do.
I do urge you to contact Mr. Smith and check to make sure he got your letter. That's all.

richcopropertyowner
richcopropertyowner 10/13/10 - 04:13 pm
codeman, I CARE. And, you

codeman, I CARE. And, you should, too.

Also, please back up what you said in reference to Sean doing more for this community in the past year than Grady has in his lifetime. Excuse me, but where have YOU been all you life????? Maybe you'd better do some research before you make a statement like that.

Do you people have your head in the sand or what?

You know, good ole boys have new ideas, too.

Ain't politics great....

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/13/10 - 04:32 pm
Propowner, Hey, I only READ

Propowner,

Hey, I only READ your posts and judged you based on what you said. I guess if you didn't mean it then you should not have typed it.

Tell me a new idea Grady has please.

Brad

P.S. I own property in RC, I pay taxes, and I supported local businesses for years too, does that mean we are equal?

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/13/10 - 04:53 pm
Richco, if you are trying to

Richco, if you are trying to gain support for your candidate, I'd suggest you do it in a positive manner. It seems to work better. Just a suggestion, I know you're new here.

richcopropertyowner
richcopropertyowner 10/13/10 - 05:01 pm
Brad, you did NOT comment

Brad, you did NOT comment based on what I wrote. You are the one that has been over the top, not me. Are you afraid of what you find if you actually did some research? That's my point, just back up what you say. And, you made some pretty snide comments.

You know, you should talk to Grady and then form your opinion. Looks like you've been brainwashed.

I was taught all men are created equal and there is only one God; however, a lot of you are trying to make this person look like a god.

I suppose you and I are equal on the Richmond County property owner position, but that's about it.

Does that make Sean Frantom equal in that aspect also?

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 10/13/10 - 05:43 pm
Way to go Sean! Maybe this

Way to go Sean! Maybe this means the AC might be leaning more towards the candidates who are perceived as less "establishment"I'm very interested in who they will endorse for Mayor. Anyone else?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/13/10 - 06:37 pm
Grady may be a great guy but

Grady may be a great guy but I don't know him, this is not about Grady being bad or Sean being great, it is about who I support and why.

I happen to agree with the newspaper here.

You made some snide little comments (amongst a large group of positove well wishers) and then didn't like it when you get shoved back a little.

Well I am sorry if I offended you but I guess I must have hit pretty close to home to get such a negative reply off of such a positive article for Sean here.

As a matter of fact, your negative attitude is a prime example of why we need people like Sean on the commission.

I like the idea of someone younger than me serving on the comission, why does it scare you so much?

We have plenty of wisdom on the board, now we need some youthful energy and action.

And you are correct, he is only one vote, but he will get on better than Good Ol' Don Grantham did or Don's handpicker choice (that's your guy) to replace him.

In my humble opinion,