Fueling public fears

Obama administration tried to hide truth from Americans about oil spill

The self-described most-transparent administration in history has again been caught in a rather significant lie.

Remember, this is a president who promised during the campaign to televise health care reform negotiations on C-SPAN, and then was happy enough to see them go behind closed doors -- even bypassing the normal House-Senate conference committee process. What we got, as opposed to a bill everyone had seen and heard, was a bill no one had read.

Now a report says the Obama administration cynically and shamefully hid the truth about flow estimates during the BP oil spill.

"Government scientists wanted to tell Americans early on how bad the BP oil spill could get, but the White House denied their request to make the worst-case models public," write Renee Schoof and Margaret Talev of McClatchy Newspapers, citing the National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling.

Consider that for a moment. This White House tried to hide the extent of the spill from the public -- notably from people along the coast whose livelihoods hung in the balance.

The Bush administration can be faulted for acting ploddingly after Hurricane Katrina, but this administration was just as inept if not more in the oil spill -- and, much worse, has now been found to have hidden the truth from its citizens about the flow of oil from the Deepwater Horizon well.

"The staff paper," writes McClatchy, "said that underestimating the flow rates 'undermined public confidence in the federal government's response' by creating the impression that the government was either incompetent or untrustworthy. The paper said that the loss of trust 'fuels public fears.'"

The administration's dishonesty also had an adverse impact on the government itself: According to the report, "the failure to have an accurate flow rate slowed the response and lulled Obama administration officials into a false belief that the spill would be controlled easily."

This story probably won't have legs, as they say, because it's a narrative that's destructive to a Democratic administration that the majority of the national media desperately want to protect. But if it were a Republican administration, you can bet the nightly news would be full of this story for days on end. It would be called a scandal.

We await word now on why it shouldn't be.

old49er
old49er 10/10/10 - 11:30 pm
The last paragraph says it

The last paragraph says it all...the supposedly "mainstream media" is completely in the tank for Obama, and wants no part of any story that has the potential to portray him or his administration in a bad light. The case of the Black Panthers, ACORN and others support your statement.

carcraft
carcraft 10/11/10 - 04:03 am
When the government stiffles

When the government stiffles the truth and lies it is a big deal. Bush lied soldiers died,OPPS sorry Bush awas a republican so they can say things like that about Bush bur OBAMA can lie his puny tail off and the press doesn't care. Have you heard about the terrorist recruitment place Obama was gonna close! Uh, what was that uh place, I haven't heard the press mention it it began with a uh Gee I Thought My Obesrvation and memory were better but not having heard about it in 18 months, I know it's GITMO! Remmeber the Hounduran President that Obama sided with who tried to violate the Honduran constitution what happened with that? Obama's list of obsfication and failure is very long indeed!

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 10/11/10 - 04:14 am
How's that GITMO closing that

How's that GITMO closing that he promised going? Another lie the liberals give him a pass on.

southernguy08
southernguy08 10/11/10 - 04:37 am
AC, did you really expect

AC, did you really expect this administration and this congress to keep their word? If you did, I have some oceanfront property in North Dakota I'll sell ya...cheap! But, cheer up, there will be some big "CHANGE" in November.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/11/10 - 04:40 am
The choreographed liberal

The choreographed liberal news system, our only choice of news source before October of '96, supports only the liberal political perspective.

Why did Anita Hill's testimony get turned 180degrees from what live television showed?
Why was Clinton's impeachment trial reported to be about sex?
Why was all relevant information about obama's life before his Illinois election hidden?
Why does every choreographed "news" broadcast use almost the exact same words in the same order ... every day?

If not for Rupert Murdoc and the internet, we'd still only have the well filtered and very liberal perspective as "news".
The fact that the obama's news releases aren't very truthful is no surprise.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 10/11/10 - 04:51 am
If I recall correctly ACES

If I recall correctly ACES complained bitterly when Obama put a moratorium on further deep water oil drilling until safety issues could be addressed.

KSL
KSL 10/11/10 - 05:00 am
One wonders why he's

One wonders why he's supporting off shore drilling when it's a foreign country doing it.

KSL
KSL 10/11/10 - 05:00 am
Literally supporting, I

Literally supporting, I should say.

Tigger__The_Tiger
Tigger__The_Tiger 10/11/10 - 05:25 am
I know that I complained when

I know that I complained when a judge struck down his moratorium, but in his arrogance, just issued it again.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 10/11/10 - 05:26 am
what a crock. The White

what a crock. The White House made sure BP was held accountable for this disaster and still sticking to their guns. You people are grasping at straws.

KSL
KSL 10/11/10 - 05:43 am
And who is the big winner in

And who is the big winner in that? Could it be Petrobas? No, of course not. Obama doesn't hand out favors. He's pure and forthright and honest and has the best interests of the American people at heart.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 10/11/10 - 05:46 am
Who cares about all

Who cares about all this?everything is fine since we have a black president.THAT is all that matters.

Techfan
Techfan 10/11/10 - 05:47 am
"On April 23, the Coast Guard

"On April 23, the Coast Guard and NOAA got an updated estimate of 64,000 to 110,000 barrels a day, but it's unclear whether that information was from BP or how it was derived, the report said. By early May, BP lowered its worst-case estimate to 60,000 barrels a day, the report said.
That figure was close to what government scientists later determined was the best estimate for the actual flow. Therefore, the government oil spill response team may have been basing its decision-making on a good estimate, the report noted." Notice the AC didn't provide a link to the article, they just cherry picked the parts they liked.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/11/10 - 06:13 am
"The oil spill that will

"The oil spill that will devastate the gulf coast for decades" seems to be cleared up by BP already.
I notice neither obama nor the AC mentioned this.

corgimom
corgimom 10/11/10 - 06:42 am
This is the biggest

This is the biggest NON-issue.

Must be a slow news day.

Of course, for the people who run around squawking "the sky is falling, the sky is falling", this will just give them more validation.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/11/10 - 06:47 am
A politician has told a lie?

A politician has told a lie? GASP!!! I am sobbing! Tearing my clothes, knashing my teeth, pulling my hair, and feeling rather upset about this massive abuse of public trust.

Get REAL!

This is one of those big "So What!?" moments.

No one REALLY cares about lies like this. I mean everyone tries to downplay bad things that happen to try and manage fear and prevent unrest.

ACES, was it a slow news weekend?

Tigger__The_Tiger
Tigger__The_Tiger 10/11/10 - 06:58 am
The question is Brad, why

The question is Brad, why does the left give Obama a pass when he lies?

southernguy08
southernguy08 10/11/10 - 07:01 am
I think the latest jobs

I think the latest jobs numbers will give the "sky is falling" crowd plenty of validation. Yep, looks like more "change" is coming, baby, but Big O won't like this kind.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 10/11/10 - 07:53 am
I'm not giving Obama a pass

I'm not giving Obama a pass for failing to close Guantanamo, for continuing Bush's policies of spying on Americans, for failing to end the U.S. war in Iraq, for escalating the U.S. war in Afghanistan, or for expanding the illegal practice of assassinating suspected militants in Pakistan with missiles fired from drone aircraft. However, if Obama had closed Guantanamo, withdrawn all troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, etc., the radical right would have accused him of appeasement, cutting and running, cowardice, and treason. They are doing it anyway.

I will consider voting for Green Party candidates if they have a chance of beating Republicans and Tea Party candidates. Otherwise I'm pulling the lever for every Democrat on the ballot because Establishment Democrats are the lesser of two evils when compared to Establishment Republicans.

Anybody who believes everything the U.S. government and corporate controlled media tell them is a fool. There were plenty of reliable sources that provided accurate information that the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico was worse than reported. You can read through the list of my various sources here:

and here:

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/11/10 - 07:47 am
TTT, Because most of the

TTT,

Because most of the press are politically liberal, at the very least left of center, and want to see the first African-American Democratic President succeed.

Also, there was such hatred for George W. Bush that everyone wanted to show that the minority of voters were right and that most Americans are just dumb animals when it come to voting.

I remember some African-American Congressman said that Obama operates "at such a level that most people can't understand him."

In other words, you 'just don't get it.'

Oh we get 'it' alright and 'it' is half of the four letter word that describes what they have been shoveling since Obama was sworn in.

I told you all he was a fake and that he would not be able to deliver on any of his campaign promises, and I was a democratic supporter at the time.

I had enough "nuances, shifts, changes, adjustments, and policy modifications" to last me a lifetime.

A lie is promise in the Obama camp, well, until he "nuances" it.

Brad

Tigger__The_Tiger
Tigger__The_Tiger 10/11/10 - 07:58 am
Well Cain..... At least you

Well Cain..... At least you don't give him the same pass a your liberal brethren. I can respect that.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/11/10 - 07:59 am
So, Cain, by your way of

So, Cain, by your way of looking at Obama, he is OK to NOT follow through on his big promises because the GOP would be critical of him if he did?

Spin allyou want, he lied to you and the anti-war nutjob fringe of the Dem Party and got your vote. he tricked you and now you are tap dancing trying to make excuses for him now that he left you out in the cold.

You get what you deserve/voted for.

I voted for McCain and I am damn proud of that vote. More now than I was when I cast it.

Brad

dani
dani 10/11/10 - 08:15 am
Is there any Bush program

Is there any Bush program that Obama has NOT continued.
Obama has added to - but taken away nothing that I know of.

follower 10/11/10 - 08:22 am
Assume for a moment, prior to

Assume for a moment, prior to election, that Obama's promise to close Gitmo, bring the troops home, be completely transparent, blah, blah, blah, was actually his intent. But when he was sworn in, the information he was now privy to became very sobering. I can only imagine the phrase "I had no idea", is one he has repeated quite a few times.

I don't care for his policies or ideology. But several of the idealistic promises made during the campaign had to be shelved lest the public become a terrified and panic stricken mass.

This President, as all before him, must rely on the information provided by people in certain positions as well as informants from other countries.

As we aren't privledged to much of that information, on these type of issues, I give him a pass.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/11/10 - 08:30 am
grouse**it was obama who said

grouse**it was obama who said that this is the moment[when he secured enough delegates to win the democratic nomination] that WE would look back and see that the seas would no longer rise and that people would begin to care and sacrfice for others.. it was his messiah speach that painted the unrealistic picture that all he would have to do was waive his magic wand.. 52 percenmt of the voters fell for this lie..now the chickens are coming home to roost..he just another lying politician who just happen to ba able to read a teleprompter..

usafvet
usafvet 10/11/10 - 08:38 am
The only successes dumbobama

The only successes dumbobama has had are the programs initiated by Bush. Everything that he has forced upon us is bad, has failed, and will be rectified as soon as we return some sanity to congress. A liberal media and a gullible, naive, and ill informed electorate are the reasons for the socialist agenda that now plagues us. The sooner the obamas make kenya their home, the better for this country. If I were a psychiatrist, I would not jeopardize my practice by attempting to treat someone so far along that they still support dumbobama and his cronies.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/11/10 - 08:38 am
Oh follower, you wish it

Oh follower, you wish it could be that easy. And it would be if I ignored the election FACTS and just gave Obama a pass on 'not knowing.'

Funny, I said he was not prepared to be president and eeeeveryone said, "He was a State Senator and US Senato! He IS ready!"

He was, and is, in over his head. Waaay over his head.

And the excuse that he was not in the loop is not correct either. He was a U.S. Senator and they can have classified information presented to them. Also, once you are the nominee, the CIA and all agencies provide you classified information to get you up to speed in case you win.

The fact is, he KNEW he could not get us out of Iraq in 60 days, close GITMO, or any of the other stupid campaign promises he made. Like that he would pull out of NAFTA and then he sent an aide to the Cnanadian consul in Chicago to say it was 'just campaign politics.'

Remember that? I do.

He is a fake and fooled all the fools who voted for him.

I for one and not surprised by any of this.

I called it correct out of the gate,

Brad

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/11/10 - 08:48 am
"I had no idea" is one he

"I had no idea" is one he repeated many times and "I still have no idea" is one he should use every time he speaks.

What a horrible mistake this diversity experiment was.

Tigger__The_Tiger
Tigger__The_Tiger 10/11/10 - 08:51 am
One question for Cain. Are

One question for Cain. Are you going to call Obama a war criminal, and always use his full name while doing so like you always did with Bush, or will there be a double standard?

follower 10/11/10 - 08:57 am
Brad, I agree with you 100%

Brad, I agree with you 100% that he is in no way qualified to be POTUS. But just as with all aspiring politicians, the idealistic words that are spouted in campaigns are just that. Idealistic. And yes, some are just outright lies.

I said only, "assume for a moment". You were no more correct than I about this man. And Cliff, yes, a horrible mistake. But I'm much more concerned with the direction of the country regarding the agenda of possibly irreversible policies that have taken hold than I am about BP, Gitmo, or what's happening in the Middle East.

Still, much of the intelligence information the POTUS sees every day would cause panic if every piece were made available to the public.