Enough to turn your stomach

Food comparison about 9-11 is a new low for filmmaker Michael Moore

Ultraliberal filmmaker Michael Moore is so intellectually bankrupt that he hardly warrants the credit of a return argument. But sometimes his blather is so disgusting and offensive, you can't resist.

Moore famously loves the Cuban model, which even Fidel Castro admits doesn't work, and hates American capitalism, throwing up a little in his mouth on every trip to the bank.

His latest fatuousness, though, may be his worst: a mindless contention, in support of a mosque at Ground Zero, that fast food kills more people than died there from terrorism.

In Internet parlance, OMG! Even if true, so what?

Does that seem a little bereft of elementary-level thinking to you?

For one thing, no one is being hijacked and flown into a burger joint; folks go there quite on their own. For another thing, it can be done in moderation, and at no significant risk -- whereas there is nothing moderate about flying planes into office buildings.

And if anyone really does die of complications from a poor diet, is anyone but the eater to blame?

Most importantly, it's a fairly straightforward proposition for someone to avoid a Big Mac. On the other hand, those folks working at desks in the World Trade Centers on Sept. 11, 2001, did absolutely nothing imprudent to bring on their nightmarish deaths. One second they were working, perhaps daydreaming about dinner or weekend plans; the next second they looked up and saw the horror of a commercial airliner's nose barreling right at them. Close your eyes and picture that.

If they didn't die immediately, and if they weren't quickly incinerated in the searing heat, they sought the temporary safety of ledges, maybe imagining for a fleeting moment they could be rescued so high up, so soon after impact. Soon, the heat became so intense, and the reality so stark, that they chose the less painful but no less agonizing way to die -- put in the heartbreaking position of having to voluntarily step off to their deaths.

Do you feel their wholly undeserved torment? Can you imagine the horror of those moments? The last thoughts of loved ones they couldn't even say goodbye to? Do you see how reprehensible Moore's line of "thinking" is? That a fast-food burger is worthy of more contempt than the murder of nearly 3,000 innocents?

Such thinking as his is beyond repulsive. It's grotesque and vile.

And it's much worse for you than any fast-food sandwich.

chascush
chascush 09/26/10 - 10:49 pm
‘His point seems to be that

‘His point seems to be that there's a moral equivalence between a McDonald's and the hijacking of crowded airliners and the purposeful flying of them into buildings to kill all those aboard and those in the way.’
Moore looks as if he is an expert on fast foods. The Muslims would not have anything to do with Moore because he is a fat pig.

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 09/27/10 - 01:06 am
Thank you Michael Moore. Your

Thank you Michael Moore. Your lazy, big mouthed stupidity has once again given conservatives the perfect opportunity to place their "liberal, America hating" stereotypes. I think most Americans want him to fade away into obscurity, but that would be awful for rags like the AC. How else are they going to get the opportunity to print multiple paragraph descriptions, like the one above, of the last moments of our American victims?

All the while, conservatives can sit around together, sing kumbaya, and wail against the absurdity of liberalism. Liberals can do the same in regards to Glenn Beck and the Augusta Chronicle. Most Americans will just realize that it pays no effort to pay attention to idiots and buffoons and ignore squawking.

Maybe I should learn their lesson and predict where an editorial like this is going to go to and save myself a couple of minutes by posting "Can I get a Big Mac with a side of jihad please?" *Cough, cough* I'm choking here.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/10 - 04:05 am
I think Moores 15 minutes are

I think Moores 15 minutes are up....step aside please...

Tigger__The_Tiger
Tigger__The_Tiger 09/27/10 - 04:37 am
Just wait,

Just wait, concord.........your liberal friends will be on here to defend him and confirm those stereotypes. I'm thankful that you are not one of them, but they WILL defend him.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/27/10 - 06:21 am
I ignore people like this as

I ignore people like this as they do not make me any wiser, or convey any useful information, or even know the truth themselves. I decline to let him pollute my mind.

Rhetor
Rhetor 09/27/10 - 07:10 am
OK, fine; I suppose you all

OK, fine; I suppose you all think that the CSRA is not a hotbed of obesity and heart disease. Enjoy your fantasies. It is true that eating fast food is a choice and no one forces you do to it. However, Moore's point--a quite accurate point which we ignore at our peril--is that it is very unhealthy to eat fast food. So, make fun of him as much as you wish, enjoy your supersized french fries, and be prepared for severe pain and unconsciousness followed by a bird's-eye tour of the CCU. Also, if you take this editorial seriously, at least be responsible enough to buy health insurance, even if doing so is opposed to your libertarian principles, because otherwise the hospital will have to stabilize you at its own expense and pass the (enormous) cost on to responsible people who do have insurance. Yikes!

Rhetor
Rhetor 09/27/10 - 07:21 am
PS, middle-aged eaters of

PS, middle-aged eaters of fast food would be well-advised to make sure that their wills are up to date. Heart attacks and strokes can come with very little warning.

Tigger__The_Tiger
Tigger__The_Tiger 09/27/10 - 07:22 am
See, concord...... Along

See, concord...... Along comes Rhetor to prove my point. They just can't help themselves.

Rhetor
Rhetor 09/27/10 - 07:23 am
"Golly, doctor, what am I

"Golly, doctor, what am I doing in the CCU? It's true that I eat french fries, but I do make fun of Michael Moore. Isn't that enough to compensate for my bad diet?"

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/27/10 - 07:30 am
I don't think the point of

I don't think the point of the editorial had anything to do with whether you should eat fast food or not.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/27/10 - 07:43 am
Rhetor, I am a devout

Rhetor, I am a devout libertarian, and have had insurance my whole life.

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/27/10 - 08:46 am
LOL....jtf.........think

LOL....jtf.........think rhetor got the point?... (whoosh)

GAterp
GAterp 09/27/10 - 09:11 am
I agree that this was a very

I agree that this was a very bad analogy, even though I like Moore's documentary films. But his point is true, no matter how disgusting the analogy is perceived. We are too fat! We are not #1 anymore either. China is kicking our buttinskis, and they just have to swing a let to do it because the buttinskis are very large. China has modern airports, modern roadways, modern cities, high speed rail, and a growing economy. And what we have just did not start in 2008 either.

GAterp
GAterp 09/27/10 - 09:12 am
That's leg and not let.

That's leg and not let. small typo.

Mr.L.A.Kegbrat
Mr.L.A.Kegbrat 09/27/10 - 09:15 am
What a bunch of hysterical

What a bunch of hysterical phony outrage.

Note that the editorial writer couldn't even logically debate the point.

It is a fact--overconsumption of fast food kills far more Americans than the terrorist attacks of 9-11 did.

Why do facts always rile up conservatives so much?

dani
dani 09/27/10 - 09:19 am
Maybe we can replace "Beck"

Maybe we can replace "Beck" with "Moore" for a few weeks. That should work.

Tigger__The_Tiger
Tigger__The_Tiger 09/27/10 - 09:34 am
Keep on proving me correct,

Keep on proving me correct, guys.

dani
dani 09/27/10 - 09:35 am
Post a photo of Moore on your

Post a photo of Moore on your wall and I promise you, you will lose weight.

3g
3g 09/27/10 - 09:57 am
ACES - nice try on spinning a

ACES - nice try on spinning a truly global problem ( processed , genetically modified , artificial food ) into an attack on an innocent film maker trying to express his opinion . It is undoubtedly true that fast / processed / modified foods are the cause of obesity , disease and eventually , death .
And for you to shift the blame away from corporations onto the individual shows your irresponsibility in protecting the uninformed citizen , as well as your being under control of these same corporations .
The issue about fast food which you have not addressed is how the food corporations spend millions to make their foods as addictive as possible by adding 10 types of sugars and MSG and deriving it all from corn ( gov't subsidized crop ) which means that what you eat from these establishments has half the nutritional value of the same sandwich made from farm raised ingredients .

Chillen
Chillen 09/27/10 - 10:04 am
It's really hard to take this

It's really hard to take this communist, jabba the hut, seriously. I think he needs to push away from the fast food table.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 09/27/10 - 10:17 am
"Why do facts always rile up

"Why do facts always rile up conservatives so much?"
===========================================
Because the facts were never in dispute.

Greasy hamburgers = Bad for your health! .......DUH!

Once again liberals have refused to see the obvious, as they know far better than we do what is good for us. They know very well that portrayals such as this are meant to do only one thing....scare the heck out of us as, to them, we are just to dumb to understand any other way so they feel the need to draw us a picture. Tactics like these belong back in the '50's, when we were terrified of Russia, and dropped and covered when the sirens went off.

How about this....instead of showing the McDonalds arches, we instead substitute a picture of congress, and show some of the fat butts there, and how they spend way too much time trying to bilk even more of our money, and bloat the government to unprecedented levels of obesity, and sadly died because they were too busy to exercise? Maybe the dead guy on the table should be dressed like uncle sam? A big SEIU button would also be a nice touch I think.

Same theme. Same result. Yes indeed....I think we are on to something here, but I left out one small point. We need to make sure that the party affiliation, Democrat, is prominently displayed for all the world to see, as they are the ones who are always busy trying to institute the food, environment and green police. I wonder how we made it this long without their faux heroic meddling efforts to protect us from our own stupidity!

Boy, are you as tired as I am of being called dumb by the left? Are you as fed up as I am about the Democrats insisting that we don't know what is going on in Congress? Are you as absolutely irritated as I am about this POTUS telling us that he knows what is good for us far more than we do? Yet these are the same people that never read any of the monstrous pieces of terribly flawed legislation that they voted on in the last two years, because they knew better?

Let's all remember this on November 2nd, so we can send the POTUS and his liberal minions a very clear message, and let him know how little we think of his mind boggling and legendary (in his own mind) intellectual superiority!

chascush
chascush 09/27/10 - 10:17 am
GAterp, ‘I agree that this

GAterp, ‘I agree that this was a very bad analogy, even though I like Moore's documentary films.’
What a big surprise! Perhaps you also agree with him on what a great country Castro made Cuba into.

chascush
chascush 09/27/10 - 10:30 am
dani, ‘Post a photo of Moore

dani, ‘Post a photo of Moore on your wall and I promise you, you will lose weight.
Put Moore’s picture along side Hussein's and it might make you throw-up.
That might work but one could take-up smoking that usually keeps the weight off. It is working for Hussein even though every time they show him eating something it is usually a hotdog, hamburger or ice cream, a real good example for the kids. I’m sure Air Force One smells like an ash tray. It will have to be fumigated after the 2012 election.
It’s not working so will for Michele. Her behind looks like it has grown a few inches each time she is on the tube.

GAterp
GAterp 09/27/10 - 11:24 am
Hey Chas, I know a lot of

Hey Chas, I know a lot of antique car buffs who just cannot wait for Cuba to open up. And you don't see a lot of fat Cubans, do you? Or fat Chinese for that matter either. And Fed, I thought fearmongering was in the conservative domain. Telling some country they are too fat and their health care costs are going up because of it sounds pretty factual to me. But then I'm old enough to remember when smoking was in vogue too. Things change; but people still want their country back!

GAterp
GAterp 09/27/10 - 11:26 am
Nice going Chas! Bulimia &

Nice going Chas! Bulimia & anorexia can solve our problems? No wonder the Pledge is just chock full of specific information!

dani
dani 09/27/10 - 11:33 am
Well, it it obvious that

Well, it it obvious that Moore does not practice what he preaches. My own opinion of him is that he is a creep.

sjgraci
sjgraci 09/27/10 - 12:19 pm
Wow chronicle Michael Moore

Wow chronicle Michael Moore wrote that nearly three weeks ago and you are now just getting around to it!

For those of you whining who have not read it, here it is in it's entirety: http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/if-mosque-isnt-built...

Too bad for those of you and the chronicle who are not bright enough to get the analogy he was making and the absurdity of the whole controversy.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 09/27/10 - 12:45 pm
Film maker Michael Moore's

Film maker Michael Moore's most successful film to date was “Fahrenheit 9/11,” which critiques the Bush administration’s handling of the war in Iraq and earned over $200 million worldwide. Moore reportedly was paid $21 million by Disney for producing, directing and creating the film. His latest film, “Capitalism: A Love Story” opens in theaters October 2nd. Michael Moore is intelligent, provocative and entertaining. And he's sure to be around for awhile.

randytoad
randytoad 09/27/10 - 01:03 pm
I didn't see the movie, but

I didn't see the movie, but if Moore is trying to set up some sort of moral equivalency between the 9/11 terrorists and companies like McDonalds and Burger King, then he's simply nuts. Though I'm not a terribly big fan of Moore, I doubt seriously that he IS making such an equivalency. If, on the other hand, he is making the point that if you want to make a list of things to worry about, then eating too much high fat, high calorie food should be far higher on the list of things that will kill you than an islamic terrorist attack, and that the huge amounts of time, money and anguish spent trying to protect ourselves from the miniscule chance that we might be killed by suicide bomber, might be more profitably spent trying to protect ourselves from REAL threats to our lives and health.

dani
dani 09/27/10 - 01:59 pm
I heard Moore say just a few

I heard Moore say just a few days ago that he wants to work at the White House. He said he will work for free, anything, just let him have access.
I reckon he feels he can do a better job, some on here like gaspring seem to agree.