Daring to be different

More voters seem to be abandoning slick candidates for -- well, real people

To borrow a line from comedian Bill Murray, we're in a weird area here.

Americans are fed up with career politicians, and rightly so. The ruling class has ramped up both spending and regulations on ordinary Americans, while living the high life themselves and acting as if our seats in Congress are their birthrights.

In the process, they've nearly run this country into the ground. Both parties.

Yet, as ordinary Americans rise up to replace some of these squatters at every level of government, perhaps running for office for the first time, the media and opponents try to squash them immediately for being inexperienced or inartful, looking for any misstep or hint of a skeleton.

Note to self: Don't look for fresh blood and then blame it for being fresh.

They're doing the same thing to the Tea Party -- expecting slick, polished party operatives instead of ordinary, everyday Americans who are exercising their right and obligation to become involved in the political process, in many cases as never before.

When you trade out careerists for the kind of citizen-legislators the country's founders envisioned, at all levels of government, you're going to have to do without some amount of polish.

Americans want their candidates to be different than ever. We need to give them the room to be.

As coverage of the fall elections increases post-Labor Day, keep in mind that we've tried slick already.

May be time to try real.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/11/10 - 10:00 pm
Absolutely. The media start

Absolutely. The media start eating them alive if they can't give a polished speech or have a stellar showing in a debate. I don't care. Do they have one iota of common sense is the question. They don't have to spit it out in 2 seconds on TV. Given a problem can they come up with a reasonable action to try if given an hour or two to think about it and make a few calls. Obama looks pretty polished and the BS just flows from his mouth but look the socialist agenda his "polish" was covering up. What we have been electing has not worked out so well so I am all for electing a few candidates who cannot stand up in front of a TV camera and lie so fluently.

GAterp
GAterp 09/11/10 - 10:19 pm
The tea party has some real

The tea party has some real candidates. Really nutty ones!

GGpap
GGpap 09/12/10 - 01:18 am
I guess the AC Editorial

I guess the AC Editorial Staff is referring to Senatorial Candidate Alvin Green from SC. I wonder if we can cite them as an "Endorsement" of Mr. Green?

GGpap

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/12/10 - 04:11 am
No, GGpap, this editorial

No, GGpap, this editorial isn't referring to Alvin Green. He represents the ignorance of the easily led part of the Dem party that votes for skin color and name recognition ... if they're told to by the choreographed media.
...,but I think you know that.

GGpap
GGpap 09/12/10 - 04:19 am
Sorrt, JC, but there is no

Sorrt, JC, but there is no way that you can spin this one. Either Mr. Green is one of the "different ones" that the AC editorial staff writes about or they are hypocrits.

GGpap

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/12/10 - 05:00 am
Good article, I wonder if

Good article, I wonder if this is an early perp for the endorsement of Lori Davis for Mayor?

Lori is different and she is the type of person we need, a leader.

Brad

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/12/10 - 06:12 am
No spin, GGpap. Simple

No spin, GGpap. Simple knowledge of history and awareness of the current facts. ..., but I think you know that.

Rhetor
Rhetor 09/12/10 - 06:24 am
People who vote for skin

dashiel
dashiel 09/12/10 - 07:45 am
Deke is a quiet leader who

Deke is a quiet leader who had rather show than tell. Look around you, now that some of the cranes no longer obstruct your view.

chascush
chascush 09/12/10 - 08:01 am
GGpap, 'I guess the AC

GGpap, 'I guess the AC Editorial Staff is referring to Senatorial Candidate Alvin Green from SC.'
NO, old Alvin is just a typical DUMocrat. He's better than Clyburn.

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/12/10 - 08:10 am
rhetor...The skin color along

rhetor...The skin color along with good looks. Must be good-looking - and don't forget sexy...All these thing are important. If we have to hear a lot of b.s. daily, then at least we want the b.s.er to look good.
And don't forget gutsy,,no whiners allowed. I don't care how people talk about them, be a man. (Or woman).

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 09/12/10 - 08:59 am
"People who vote for skin

"People who vote for skin color? Surely you're not accusing conservative Southern whites of routinely voting for white candidates, are you? Tell me it isn't so!"
=========================================

Rhetor, you really need to get out more.

Try this. Republican candidates Nikki Haley and Tim Scott in SC.

Both non-white. Both leading in the polls.

dashiel
dashiel 09/12/10 - 09:09 am
Hit dogs holler. You go

Hit dogs holler. You go Rhetor! OWRs hate it when you call a spade a spade. They prefer "entrenching implement" the same way they call taxes "revenue enhancers." Changing nomenclature is the only change Republicans can believe in.

TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL 09/12/10 - 09:47 am
Greetings All, Nice to see

Greetings All,

Nice to see some support at the Augusta Chronicle for the concept of Citizen Politician. Georgian's have a unique opportunity this election cycle to implement our founding father's vision of a political class that does not treat politics as a career field by electing Libertarians to every statewide office in Georgia. There is only one political party operational in Georgia that fields candidates that are not slick, polished political pros and we Libertarians are proud to have citizens like Chuck Donovan, John Monds, Dan Barber, David Chastain, Kira Willis, Kevin Cherry, Will Costa, Shane Bruce, Don Smart, Jim Sendelbach and Augusta's own Taylor Bryant carrying the banner of Liberty this fall.

The democrats and republicans have had their time do to the public's bidding and have failed. It is time to try something different, it's time to try Libertarians. Google these candidates and discover for yourself if their views mirror your own. Then get off the couch and get involved. Vote for maximum freedom and minimum government, Vote Libertarian!

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 09/12/10 - 10:09 am
Same goes for you dashiel.

Same goes for you dashiel. Please, instead of continually sniping, with cute lines of liberal drivel, how about actually presenting some facts to back them up? Just a thought.

So crates
So crates 09/12/10 - 10:11 am
Who's the copy editor?

Who's the copy editor?

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/12/10 - 10:56 am
Yeah Dashiel.. The Watermark

Yeah Dashiel.. The Watermark Condos are now blocking my view of the marina. I can't wait to go do some shopping today at The Villages Rrwatch, especially that new fancy bass Pro they got out there. After that I was thinking of going down and picking out my granite countertops for my new condo in The White's Building

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/12/10 - 10:57 am
After that I was thinking of

After that I was thinking of taking the kids to Fort Discovery and then maybe a stroll through the Golf and gardens.

Emerydan
Emerydan 09/12/10 - 11:01 am
Brad.. interesting take on

Brad.. interesting take on this editorial. That was also my reaction also. We need to elect people to office (inlcuding local office) who understand what "public service" means. We need to elect people who are not trying to make a career out of politics, but rather have fresh ideas and have a real agenda for change... people who want to get in there do some good and then make room for new people.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/12/10 - 11:19 am
This editorial brings up some

This editorial brings up some great points. As a "fresh blood" myself, I am trying to bring new ideas to the table.

The problem I see is that people that are new to the game have no idea on how to get elected, but would be great leaders IF elected. I have been told that I "haven't paid my dues" and people don't know enough about me to see the advantages of my election. It takes voters having to sort through the propaganda to get to the facts, and I'd say your average voter will not put in the work to make an educated decision.

Elections require money. Plain and simple. It shouldn't have to, but it does. People already in power or people that will do anything for a buck, including sell out, will get more money than a new candidate.

As for my campaign, we are doing great. We have raised enough money to get the ball rolling, and roll we will.

Ask yourself if what we have is working, and research other ways. Donate or volunteer if you can, and VOTE YOUR PRINCIPLES.

www.bryantforaugusta.com

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 09/12/10 - 11:32 am
Rhetor, I'm a white christian

Rhetor, I'm a white christian conservative and I'd vote for a J.C Watts or a Herman Cain any day of the week before I'd vote for a Barack Obama. Why? Policies, not skin color. It's obvious that Dems are the ones fixated on skin color not most conservatives. At least not the ones I know.

chascush
chascush 09/12/10 - 02:30 pm
Rhetor, I'm a white

Rhetor, I'm a white conservative and I'd vote for J.C Watts, Herman Cain, Tim Scott in SC or Condoleezza Rice and many other GOOD black candidates.. At one time I was a BIG supporter of Colin Powell. I thought he was by far the best of Bush’s staff. But he lost all of my respect when he supported the idiot we have in the WH. I am a big admirer of Justice Clarence Thomas who is black. It is strange but a lot of blacks refer to him as being “White”.

harrisburgwillrise
harrisburgwillrise 09/12/10 - 04:11 pm
I'm with Taylor Bryant. Lori

I'm with Taylor Bryant. Lori Davis has been told over and over that she has not paid her dues nor made a point to meet the right people. "You must meet the right people, they say." Maybe it is these people who are causing the problems. Does one need to run a gauntlet to get crime out of a neighborhood? I think not. Lori Davis will go into office not owing one favor to anyone. Surely there are more voters that feel this way than not. Elect Lori Davis.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 09/13/10 - 06:43 pm
Great letter ACS and

Great letter ACS and hopefully, you will continue to bring this type of awareness as the elections approach. Americans should be fed up with the status quo and ready to try something different. Career politicians need the boot and we need to take back our country from the White House to the Courthouse!