Can we talk about race?

Radio show host's entanglement with 'N' word shows difficulty of honest debate

Bigfoot. The Loch Ness Monster. The Honest Dialogue About Race.

Radio talk show host Laura Schlessinger plans to give up her radio show at the end of the year.  FILE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
FILE/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Don't waste your time looking for any of them anytime soon.

This country periodically scours the land for that mythical beast no one has yet described, the Honest Dialogue About Race. It's usually lip service, though, normally coming after someone has lost a job or committed professional suicide.

Enter Dr. Laura, who appears to have done the latter.

Now, if we ever do bag that legendary Honest Dialogue About Race, we certainly don't want the likes of Laura Schlessinger leading it. She tends to cross the line from harsh to abusive. Her knee jerks so quickly you can hear the rush of wind against the microphone. Not what you need, leading a discussion on such a delicate topic.

But her odd and abrupt announcement Tuesday night that she's quitting her nationally syndicated advice show on radio -- over the reaction to her using the "N" word with a caller -- was another one of those "Gee, if only we could have an honest dialogue about race" moments.

Schlessinger -- who earned the title "Dr." with a degree in physiology, not mental health -- used the "N" word to illustrate how often it's used in the black media. The problem is twofold: One, she said it over and over and over, which even she acknowledges was a mistake; two, she's white -- and the conventional wisdom today is that white people should never use the word.

The irony, of course, is that she's absolutely right: The word is ubiquitous in black culture, including music and comedy and, in many instances, everyday conversation. So yes, there is a double standard.

On some level, that double standard is actually quite understandable: The word was used as a contemptible, dispiriting cudgel for so long; the feeling among some is that those who created and wielded the word as a weapon have lost the right to use it. In truth, most of us believe no one should use the word.

But the effect of that perceived double standard is an uneven playing field upon which it's difficult to see eye to eye.

It's imperative we don't give up. Here's hoping we get that honest dialogue someday. A good start would be to listen to each other more than we speak.

Schlessinger claims she's quitting her radio show at the end of the year to "regain my First Amendment rights.

"I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry or some special-interest group deciding this is a time to silence a voice of dissent," she said on CNN's Larry King Live .

Schlessinger has a nationally syndicated show. She's hardly the poster child for regaining free-speech rights. But her awkward situation does accentuate the fact that it's awfully difficult to have an honest dialogue when you can get your head bitten off for saying the wrong thing -- without even trying.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 08/20/10 - 04:15 pm
Ok Ron, I bow to your logic,

Ok Ron, I bow to your logic, and retract the word never. However the main point I feel is still valid. You do not change hearts by bickering and pointing fingers. I think we are still a long way from truly changing hearts, but I am certain that it will happen someday, and I pray it is sooner than later.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 08/20/10 - 04:20 pm
Fedeal ... we are complete

Fedeal ... we are complete agreement on this ...

You do not change hearts by bickering and pointing fingers.

However, you start to change hearts by changing this type actions to actions of working together to resolve the issues. And yes I also believe :

it will happen someday, and I pray it is sooner than later.

apex24
apex24 08/20/10 - 05:00 pm
It will always be a double

It will always be a double standard as long as the "white guilt" stays prevalent and the likes of Jackson, Sharpton and Farrakhan keep stirring the pot. You know, there's good money in keeping racial tensions high. Ask them!!!!!!

follower 08/20/10 - 05:03 pm
Ron, I like the way you

Ron, I like the way you think, truly. Asking questions always makes others think.

The change you talk about should definately have been made, but it was made because someone or several people had a change of heart. They realized segregation was wrong. So someones heart was changed, the laws changed, then those opposed to change realized that the world would not come to an end when black and white kids went to school together, and accepted change. They realized [some anyway] that we all bleed red, we all laugh, cry, love, feel pain, and have a desire to be accepted. In other words, the only difference between us, is color. Hey granddad, I thought you said they were........fill in the blank.

We could argue semantics, and that is not my purpose. Change in many things is necessary, but the impetus to that happening comes initially from the change of someones heart.

Thanks for the reply.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 08/20/10 - 06:20 pm
Dr. Laura was just coming out

Dr. Laura was just coming out of the closet. Her comments had nothing to do with the question at hand. She quit because her sponsors could not afford such publicity. It was only a matter of time before they caught flack for sponsoring this person. She has ruined her reputation, what little she had.This outburst will read in her obituary, not to mention the millions of dollars she no doubt has forfeited.Then bimbo Sarah Palin told her and her followers to reload, not retreat. Why would a person who is endorsing candidates and supposedly is going to seek the highest office in the land even touch this? She has once again demonstrated that she lacks proper judgement and qualifications to even be considered as a serious candidate for the office of the presidency.Now, if I was Vincent Sheheen I would run her tweets in advertisements. Let Nikki Haley and those she endorsed answer the meaning of this tweet.Sarah Palin is the biggest joke on the political scene, just ahead of the Tea Party.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 08/20/10 - 06:25 pm
Apex if you substitute Rush

Apex if you substitute Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or any conservative commentator and your post would be even more correct.Besides, when was the last time we heard from Jesse or Al.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 08/20/10 - 06:28 pm
Limbaugh, Hannity, and most

Limbaugh, Hannity, and most conservative commentators don't specialize in race baiting like Jesse and Al do.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 08/20/10 - 08:20 pm
Tigger, please.Rush couldn't

Tigger, please.Rush couldn't even announce a football game without attacking Donovan McNabb.Rush a is racist demagogue.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 08/20/10 - 08:42 pm
What has Jesse and Al done

What has Jesse and Al done that wasn't motivated by race....and if he said something about NcNabb, what makes you think it was racially motivated? Oh I'm sorry....criticizing a minority is ALWAYS racially motivated....right?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 08/20/10 - 08:33 pm
Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do NOTHING but live off of racism.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 08/20/10 - 09:08 pm
Ok RCR, Let's say, just for

Ok RCR, Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that the hateful rhetoric you use towards Rush is all true. How does that make you any different than he is? He is also an entertainer, not a politician running for office. He will never be able to vote on legislation that will ever have any effect on your life. Your venom may just as well be directed towards Neil Boortz, or any conservative pundit, or do you reserve some special hatred just for Rush? Finally, what point are you trying to make, because lately everyone is getting real good at branding everyone that takes a stand, and exercises their right of free speech, with the brush of racism, and it's really getting tiresome.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 08/20/10 - 09:28 pm
Jesse and Jesse should be

Jesse and Jesse should be billionaire because America is loaded with racist.Rush was fired, because he said," the media wanted McNabb to succeed." Everybody knows he inferred the quarterback is a white guy's job.McNabb was a three Pro Bowler at the time.Federalist, you Rush fans are living in past times.Take your head out of the sand man.Read the First Amendment, it starts out saying Congress shall make no laws that restrict free speech. I'm not a congressman and I am can comment on Rush's racebaiting show. Most of you are under an illusion that you operate on a blank slate. Most folks judge Southerners by their past and current sins. That's why you find racist attached to so much of your commentary. You always seem to side with those perceived as racist.For example, Arizona took years to make MLK birthday a holiday. Now their immigration stance is viewed as racist.There is no blank slate.

apex24
apex24 08/20/10 - 09:32 pm
RCR, give it up. You'll never

RCR, give it up. You'll never get over the "victim" mentality. How many times do you have be told that. You want the white man to give you and your bros whatever it is white people are suppose to give you. You want 40 acres and a mule but Farrakhan equates that to $250k per black person. Guess what, that ain't going to happen. Sooo, I guess your stuck with being giving most of the jobs, money for college and all the things that go with "you owe me" syndrome. There's only one problem, you have a serious problem with the bros wanting to take each other out.

apex24
apex24 08/20/10 - 09:47 pm
I hope one day some of these

I hope one day some of these commentators decide to stand up to you CRY BABIES tell you to take a kiss of the ole skister. Cry, cry, cry, he/she said something that offened me. Call Jessie, call Jessie. Call Al, call Al somebody make them stop. They offended me. We ought to make a hip-hop rap song out of that, the only thing we need to put a few MF's and a few N words in there.

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 08/20/10 - 10:04 pm
Apex24 I don't think I could

Apex24 I don't think I could have said it any better. A couple of years ago
all of the colored groups got together to bury the "N" word with coffin and all, The Black leaders forgot....so much for the funeral of the N word seems like the blacks forgot..thus Grave Robbing ..There will always be rasium as long as Folgers make Coffee. thats the way it is and thats the way it will always be.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 08/20/10 - 10:06 pm
So....RCR confirms my

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 08/20/10 - 10:15 pm
COFFEE ANYONE?

COFFEE ANYONE?

chascush
chascush 08/21/10 - 09:26 am
The DUMocrats nor do many of

The DUMocrats nor do many of the black leaders want racial harmony. The DUMocrats want to keep black people thinking that most white people and all republicans are racist. They know that as long as they do over 90% of blacks will push the D bottom in the voting booth. The DUMocrats care about the blacks as long as they follow like sheep. The DUMocrats use the entitlement programs to keep poor blacks and poor whites enslaved to the guvamint. They have destroyed the families. Over 70% of black babies are born to single mothers.
Many of the black leaders are betraying the black people for money and power.
I hope black people wakeup and realize that they can think for themselves and not be lead around like sheep.

chascush
chascush 08/20/10 - 10:30 pm
Tiger, ‘So....RCR confirms my

Tiger, ‘So....RCR confirms my suspicion that criticizing ANY minority MUST be racially motivated......he has no evidence what so ever....just makes the assumption. What a racist he is.’
Be careful with RCR he gets upset pretty easily. He believes everything is about race but he has been brain washed by black leaders and the DUMocrats.

chascush
chascush 08/20/10 - 10:34 pm
RCR1, ‘You always seem to

RCR1, ‘You always seem to side with those perceived as racist.’
That is BECAUSE YOU SEE EVERYONE that does not agree with you as racist.

thyroxin
thyroxin 08/21/10 - 07:00 am
Why do people want to talk

Why do people want to talk race anymore...sientifically speaking ..there could only be one race established.....the HUMAN race ...there is genetically nooo difference in what people percieve as soo called races ...they tried to establish a difference ...but genetically speaking there is none ....now perhaps the race baiters and haters on both sides get the news...and find another horse to beat to death...your chances of getting a matching kidney as a white person are a 1000 times greater in a remote village in africa than in your own comunity ...thats how little we are related to what we think we are related to.....AGAIN only one race THE HUMAN RACE

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/19/10 - 03:45 pm
I wrote my experience about

I wrote my experience about this down, but what's the point? So I deleted it, copied it for my own record, and I'll leave it at that. I've said it all before.

Partnerships needed in cyber sectors, NSA director says

Adm. Michael Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, said the nation's security rests on breaking down bariers between private and government sectors specializing in cyber defense. ...