Get smart, and get to the polls

Use your vote today to help usher in agents of change

Barely a day has passed where we haven't fielded calls from ordinary voters and political campaigns alike, wondering whether we would endorse candidates in today's election. One eager campaign for a statewide office called us at least twice.

Typically we don't endorse in primaries, but we've told those callers -- and we're repeating it now -- that the importance of your vote in today's election shouldn't be underestimated.

People are worried. They're scared. Folks are unsure which direction our reeling economy will take them, as government appears more willing than ever simply to spend more. So consumers are cautious about how they spend, and business owners are equally skittish about hiring and re-investing in themselves.

That's why interest in this election is growing. Citizens don't want to keep living like this, walking on economic eggshells. They should be eager to cast votes today for candidates who can give measured guidance in a new direction.

Political coverage by The Chronicle and its news partners have gone a long way to help educate voters on where each candidate stands in local, state and national races. If you haven't been keeping close tabs over the pats few months, take a crash course by looking at our Sunday paper, or scouring our website, chronicle.augusta.com.

Political tea leaves can shift at a moment's notice. Take the Georgia governor's race. Republicans Karen Handel and Nathan Deal won recent endorsements, respectively, from Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich. When that sunk in with voters, the race turned John Oxendine's lead into a lead for Handel, and a close three-way foot race for second place.

So get smart. The best voter is an educated voter.

The motivation is there among voters. It's glaring. Citizens are facing uncertainty, and are looking for the right people to help lean us toward fiscal sanity in government, and away from a more dismal economic future that's jeopardizing our jobs and our finances.

This could be one of the most important ballots you cast.

Chillen
Chillen 07/19/10 - 10:37 pm
Vote for Eric Johnson. In

Vote for Eric Johnson. In the questions the AC posed to the candidates his answers were the most realistic & fiscally conservative.

willie7
willie7 07/19/10 - 11:14 pm
Sarah Palin is a joker but

Sarah Palin is a joker but making money off of the uninformed.I am embarrased with her and Alvin Greene.

grouse
grouse 07/19/10 - 11:33 pm
Don't vote for people who

Don't vote for people who endorse going back to the Republican ways which got us into this mess in the first place.

hollyjensen
hollyjensen 07/19/10 - 11:55 pm
Brian Westlake for State

Brian Westlake for State School Superintendent!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/20/10 - 04:38 am
I love elections. Let's get

I love elections. Let's get ready to ruuuuuuuummmmmble!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/20/10 - 04:56 am
Hey, don't be mentioning

Hey, don't be mentioning Republican Sarah Palin in the same post as the shining example of the Democrats, Alvin Greene. They are as far apart as two people can get if we stay in the Milky Way Galaxy.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/20/10 - 06:41 am
GROUSE, unless I'm mistaken,

GROUSE, unless I'm mistaken, congress has been ruled by Dems since 2006, which is about the time the (blank) hit the fan for our economy.

Junket831
Junket831 07/20/10 - 07:48 am
I recommend that the

I recommend that the Chronicle start endorsing in the primaries. While there is plenty of information regarding the governors races, there is very little information regarding other races. Even if readers don't agree with the Chronicle at least the editors would be identifying the more capable candidates. This might avoid the situation in SC with the senate nominee for the dems.

dichotomy
32001
dichotomy 07/20/10 - 08:50 am
I just looked at the "Sample

I just looked at the "Sample Ballot" on this site. I have not heard anything about most of these people running for the offices other than U.S. Senator, U.S. Congressman, and Governor. Maybe I missed it but I have not seen much, if any, coverage of the candidates for the "little" offices. I come to this site and watch one of the local news programs everyday but I have not seen any profiles, interviews, or other coverage of the "other" races. Our local media are doing us a real disservice. Do you see how many people are running for Insurance Commissioner? I know nothing about any of them but I guess I will close my eyes and pin the tail on one of them. How about the Public Service Commission? Same thing....know nothing. Guess I will have nobody to blame but me for making a bad guess when all of our rates go up.

grouse
grouse 07/20/10 - 10:14 am
Junket: you are mistaken

Junket: you are mistaken about when the financial problems began. Remember Bush did the first bail out, so obviously it happened during his administration.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/20/10 - 10:35 am
grouse - the bailout you

grouse - the bailout you reference, TARP, like all other legislation was drafted and approved in Congress.

Lou Stewall
Lou Stewall 07/20/10 - 12:41 pm
How are we to know whom to

How are we to know whom to support with your lousy "coverage"? We got not one iota of information about down ballot candidates. Your Sunday page on the gubanatorial candidates was so vapid it was a joke. No wonder Alvin Green won! You are too lazy to interview any candidates beyond those running for governor and too lazy to even publish a bare bio on them. Let's see if the puss hound Brush gets on the PSC and that will be almost as ludicrous as Mr. Green in the U.S. senate race! You could have at least posted all their web sites!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/20/10 - 07:28 pm
If Friendly Scott Dean™ and

If Friendly Scott Dean™ and Joey (1 of 5) Brush are both elected, I'm going to find some Southern Baptist holy water and pour it in the river near the drinking water intake by Stevens Creek Dam.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 07/20/10 - 07:38 pm
Baron....how dare you use

Baron....how dare you use facts to distract from blaming everything on Bush! How did Obama vote on TARP? I wonder?

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 07/21/10 - 03:15 pm
Riverman1 - You threatened to

Riverman1 - You threatened to pour Southern Baptist holy water it in the drinking water intake near Stevens Creek Dam if Scott Dean and Joey Brush got elected.

Please be aware the EPA and the Clean Water Act will be after you for pouring snake oil in the county's drinking water.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/21/10 - 03:19 pm
GaSpringWater, heh. Did you

GaSpringWater, heh. Did you have the same preacher I had growing up?

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/21/10 - 03:20 pm
The EPA? Heck Homeland

The EPA? Heck Homeland Security and the FBI would be all over him for committing a blatant terroristic act.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/21/10 - 04:18 pm
Baron..haha....Joey (1 of 5)

Baron..haha....Joey (1 of 5) Brush came in last for the state public service so I can hold off on putting holy water in the river above the drinking water intake. I'm hoping the natural flow of the river will wash away Scott Dean's sewage he is leaving in the county.