He's not all by himself

Did Times Square bomber act alone? Define 'alone'

News outlets continue to try to create the impression that the Times Square bomber was "acting alone." For some reason, this is an important, perhaps comforting, notion to some reporters.

"The Pakistani-American accused of the failed Times Square car bombing is believed to have been working alone," the Associated Press insisted as recently as Wednesday.

Never mind that authorities were even then investigating whether Muslim Taliban radicals in Pakistan were involved, perhaps in training the chief suspect.

But let's just say for argument's sake that Faisal Shahzad technically worked alone. Does that mean he harbored unique resentments -- maybe, oh, because his Connecticut house was foreclosed on? CNN personality Jim Acosta, in a bizarre bit of empathy for an accused attempted bomber of innocent civilians, noted recently that, "One would have to imagine that (foreclosure) brought a lot of pressure and a lot of heartache on that family."

Over at CBS, reporter Bob Orr, oddly proposing that Shahzad's motive is "unclear," nonetheless speculated that it might be because, even after a year of citizenship, Shahzad "has not realized any American dream."

Think about what that man just said. That CBS reporter said, in essence, that America may have let Shahzad down .

So he just snapped. And obviously, as any one of us would have done, he tried to bomb Times Square.

What planet have these people been reporting on?

The truth is, if Faisal Shahzad is the Times Square bomber, he's not a depressed former homeowner. How many foreclosure victims leave a smoldering, bomb-filled SUV to explode in a busy tourist spot on a Saturday night?

It's most likely he had technical support along the way. But if nothing else, he had the moral support of fellow radicals who have gone before him and will most surely follow him. They may not be co-conspirators, per se, but they're ideological accomplices. They share a kindred spirit, a belief system that says Americans and other Westerners are evil and either need to be converted or exterminated.

Reporters delusional enough to try to sell us fairy-tale nonsense that this bomber, or any other Muslim radical, honed their craft in a lonely vacuum are not only world-class naive, but are hazardous to this nation's security because they're peddling a fiction designed to lower our guard and try to make us feel better. The underlying message of their chronic "lone wolf" fable is that the danger has passed; it wasn't connected to anyone else, after all. Of course, that's just demonstrably untrue.

Meanwhile, you have to wonder if the Obama administration has its guard up sufficiently. Of course, they are loath to use the word "terrorism" to begin with -- and neither Mr. Obama nor press secretary Robert Gibbs could bring themselves to call the Times Square incident "terrorism" at first. Mr. Obama also had implored us not to "jump to conclusions" after Nidal Hasan shouted "God is great!" and killed his comrades at Fort Hood. In the Times Square and Detroit "underwear bomber" cases, the suspects were foiled only through the vigilance of citizens around them. "Luck," to the layman.

And while searching for Shahzad, the government decided not to call airlines and alert them about his addition to the no-fly list. They barely stopped his plane from leaving for Dubai.

Most troubling, after four Muslim attacks on U.S. soil in his first year-plus in office, you've got to wonder if President Obama's entreaties to the Muslim world are making us any safer -- or if we're just less girded for attack.

KSL
KSL 05/10/10 - 09:32 am
"Why are still fighting there

"Why are still fighting there 9 years after the Taliban were overthrown and Al Qaeda camps dismantled?" Good question for Obama. Perhaps he knows something you don't, Cain.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/10/10 - 10:00 am
Or maybe, President Obama, is

Or maybe, President Obama, is "mesmerized", as Cornel West puts it, by all the "smart" national security hawks advising him. Gen. Jesus Petreaeus claimed last week the surge worked in Iraq because of "big ideas". Today at least 67 Iraqis were killed and 225 injured. Violence and instability continue in Iraq. The surge did not work in Iraq nor will it work in Afghanistan. Everybody in Kandahar is Taliban. Look at U.S. and NATO fatalities so far this month in Afghanistan. Expanding the war into Pakistan is folly upon folly. 9 years of U.S. war in Afghanistan has made matters far worse not better. Petraeus and McChrystal cannot save Afghanistan or Pakistan. The U.S. mission in Afghanistan is doomed just as the Soviet occupation of that country was doomed. The "brilliant" Petraeus does not have all the answers or any workable answer for that matter except slogging ahead deeper into the mire.

Obama's decision to escalate the U.S. war in Afghanistan and expand the U.S. air war in Paksitan has driven the Pakistan Taliban to form alliances with Al Qaeda and other groups including criminal gangs. This is the definition of counterproductive. Al Qaeda was severely weakened before the U.S. drone war drove the Pakistani Taliban into their arms and rejuvenated Al Qaeda's clout. United States is in the business of growing terrorists. Current U.S. policy both creates terrorists and promotes terrorism. Call that "job security" for American militarists. Someone should have driven a stake through the heart of the neocon vampires when they had a chance. Now the blood sucking neocon vampires are back in business pushing American world military domination as part of their Zionist inspired agenda.

"Pakistani Taliban Are Said to Expand Alliances" by By CARLOTTA GALL and SABRINA TAVERNISE | The New York Times | Published: May 6, 2010

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/10/10 - 10:26 am
You don't know me, Whyisit01,

You don't know me, Whyisit01, or do you? If you did, you should remember that my cancer is incurable. God has answered most of my prayers, and I'm eternally grateful. What I posted, is what Cain told me, so you can take it, or leave it. He lies, I don't!

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 05/10/10 - 10:39 am
The word "terrorism" is just

The word "terrorism" is just propaganda and many people in the world are shying away from using it. But it's a favorite with Republicans and that says a lot about their tactics.

KSL
KSL 05/10/10 - 10:40 am
Whyisit that you have sunk to

Whyisit that you have sunk to a new low? Who would have thought that possible?

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/10/10 - 10:42 am
Sargebaby, Why don't you try

Sargebaby, Why don't you try to write about the subject at hand? I never mentioned your name before you attacked me 10:45 am. You say I have no military experience. I had a college deferment which you resent. Many, many, many chickenhawks did not serve in Vietnam but were and still are all too willing to send young Americans off to die in foreign lands, and when they do, they claim these unfortunates "died fighting for our freedom". Hogwash! I include among those chickenhawks with no military experience Dick Cheney, Dick Army, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama.

Gen. David Petraeus is now a 4 star general. Guess what? He does not walk on water. His theories and tactics are not above question or reproach. I cited how Petraeus said last week that "big ideas" made the surge "successful" in Iraq. They did not! The surge only succeeded in kicking the can down the road to the next U.S. administration. Elections were held in Iraq on March 7. No government has yet been formed, and violence today (at least 67 killed & 225 wounded) is the worst in more than two weeks. The number of successful counterinsurgency wars can be counted on one hand, and those took on average more than 10 years to "win". The surge did not succeed in pacifying Iraq. 9 years of U.S. war in Afghanistan have not succeeded. When does enough become enough? I can cite plenty of statistics on U.S. dead and wounded and the astronomical fiscal costs of these wars of choice. They are not about our freedom or about protecting us from terrorists. They are about placing those countries and those regions under U.S. military control, and they are about the oil and natural gas resources.

Try to write something topical and salient, Sargebaby. Your military career ended long ago, but you are still possess a military mindset, a military identity, and military group think. You defend every move made by the military. You excuse the fact that the U.S. military kills civilians in Afghanistan, and that is a major reason that Afghans are angry at us, angry at the corrupt govt we support, and all too often willing to side with the Taliban and their system of justice. Your attitude toward Islam is patronizing at best, and down right offensive at worse. You wear your Christianity on your sleeve and use the same justification for war as the Christian Zionists. Don't be surprised at the blow back from the arrogant U.S. military policy you back.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 05/10/10 - 10:45 am
Well said Cain. It harkens

Well said Cain. It harkens the old words of "keep doing the same things over and over but expecting different results." U.S. foreign policy has been ill-conceived ever since the Russians spooked America with a different ideaology. Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan have all been horrible failures and a waste of monetary and human capital. The meddling of previous administrations in many Middle East countries since the 1970s is coming home to roost. America is invading foreign countries and using drones and steal bombers to inflict damage onto others yet has refused to secure thousands of miles of our sovreign borders. American foreign policy is a rudder-less failure.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/10/10 - 10:48 am
Truth is painful, isn't it,

Truth is painful, isn't it, John? I remember about your deferment, John, but I remember most, your comment about being ready to high-tail it to Canada. Then of course, some of your assumptions that were much less than honest!

BCG
BCG 05/10/10 - 10:48 am
Whyisit... Pultizer are not

Whyisit... Pultizer are not the end all be all ... truth in news is more important

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/10/10 - 10:53 am
Cain, I have no need to

Cain, I have no need to submit to your requests. I believe if you will take notice, the majority of people on this forum, as well as those on the old forum, disagree with your comments and assumptions. Thank God for those in the majority.

Tell me John, do you still post to yourself on your own forum? That has got to be a lot of fun!

Kapa18
Kapa18 05/10/10 - 11:10 am
Pay What U Owe, you took the

Pay What U Owe, you took the words right out of my mouth.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/10/10 - 11:32 am
Sargebaby, what does it

Sargebaby, what does it matter whether or not the majority of people posting on the AC Forum or here in Reader Comments agrees with me or not? Does that make them right and me wrong? Or does it suggest that you may be susceptible to group think?

I post on my bulletin board because it is more convenient than trying to write everything down in a notebook. Did it every cross your mind that there may be many other reasons why people keep a journal or post on an electronic bulletin board besides the chat you like to engage in. Take Reader Comments for example. After a couple of days this editorial and these comments are buried. Nobody much goes back after two or three days to update their comments with subsequent developments. A bulletin board like The AC Forum is much different because one topic can be followed for as long as necessary. I don't blame ACES for using this format instead of a bulletin board. If I wrote the abysmal editorials that ACES does I'd want my work buried and forgotten ASAP.

For those interested here is the link to The Augusta Chronicle bulletin board:

And here is the link to my bulletin board The Augusta Alternative:

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/10/10 - 12:10 pm
What have you written

What have you written substantively on the topic at hand that the majority of folks agree with you, Sargebaby?

I understand Faisal Shahzad's likely motives although I detest his actions just as I understand Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab motives but detest his actions. I expect we will become painfully aware there are more people who feel as they do. I tie their frustrations and detestable actions to a misguided, destructive, counterproductive U.S. foreign policy.

When Iraqi civilians, Afghan civilians, and Pakistani civilians fall victim to U.S. actions the majority of Americans barely bat an eye if they become aware of the events at all. When U.S. civilians become victims Americans are outraged and offended. Many think these attacks are unprovoked, but only those ignorant or oblivious to U.S. foreign policy could believe that these terror incidents happen in a vacuum. They are almost always tied to prior events that precipitate revenge attacks. We are doing our part to feed the cycle of violence.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/10/10 - 12:09 pm
Anyone that would use a man's

Anyone that would use a man's illness as a way to demean someone (whyisit01), or to make fun of a man's military career as a way of poking fun (JRHC), is located at the bottom of the barrel. Sarge, whether you earthly body is healed on while you reside here on earth or not, it will be an honor to meet you when we join together in our heavenly home. Thank you for your service (no matter how many years you've been retired), once a soldier, always a solider.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/10/10 - 12:18 pm
I did not "make fun" of

I did not "make fun" of Sargebaby's military career. I pointed out that despite being long retired he still possesses a military mindset, uses his military identity as a screen name and icon/photo, and may be subject to group think. It is important to him that the majority of posters agrees with him. He says he is an original thinker, but I have not seen a single instance of him actually addressing today's editorial and making pertinent comments. Sargebaby began today by attacking me and never made any comments about the failed terror attack in Times Square, possible motives, possible sympathizers, co-conspirators, the role of the press, or anything else of substance.

Rhetor
Rhetor 05/10/10 - 12:37 pm
Sargebaby, I don't agree with

Sargebaby, I don't agree with all of your politics, but thank you for serving our country. I'm sure that all right-thinking readers will keep you in their thoughts and prayers in your time of illness. I do hope that all personal attacks on this site come to an end.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/10/10 - 01:03 pm
Keep in mind, Rhetor, that

Keep in mind, Rhetor, that Sargebaby started the personal attacks at 10:45 am. Nobody had mentioned anything about him up until that point.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 05/10/10 - 01:15 pm
WOW my posts were removed

WOW my posts were removed LOL, for what? I said nothing out of the way per the chronicle standards.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 05/10/10 - 01:27 pm
When I click on forums I get

When I click on forums I get this error....Content Encoding Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

* Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 05/10/10 - 01:47 pm
It amazes me that people get

It amazes me that people get upset [and call it meddling], because the U.S. protects its interest abroad, especially oil, because our Country would grind to a halt without oil and the Middle East (Muslims) know that. The Middle Eastern leaders welcomed the U.S. when we started buying oil from them because they became very wealthy. And although the U.S. will never withdraw completely from the Middle East until we are no longer dependent on Foreign Oil, the Muslims would attack us with terrorism not because of our mere presence in the Middle East, but because of the newly enraged fundamental Muslim terrorism against the Western infidels. The only good American is a dead American, right?
And blaming our Military or our Generals is the stupidest thing I've ever heard when it is the Commander in Chief who makes the ultimate decision after [I hope], listening to his advisors. And to refer to a Military General as Jesus, and to attack and belittle Military Servicemen, is not only rude and commonplace, but disrespectful toward the very men and women who protect you and your family. Especially those who were going to run off to Canada to avoid serving in the Military, know as Draft Dodgers [ A nice term for Cowards].

mable8
mable8 05/10/10 - 01:54 pm
I have news for you, ACES,

I have news for you, ACES, that "Reporters delusional enough to try to sell us fairy-tale nonsense that this bomber, or any other Muslim radical, honed their craft in a lonely vacuum are not only world-class naive, but are hazardous to this nation's security because they're peddling a fiction designed to lower our guard and try to make us feel better" can also be said of the entire White House staff and the current "President". The American public is not so stupid as to believe that this man "acted alone" or "somehow snapped" because he is "depressed." America did not "let this man down," but he certainly let America down--he was given an opportunity to improve himself, yet he chose to use any method to murder countless numbers of innocent people. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you, this man is a piece of work. Too bad he won't qualify for the death penalty!

flipa
flipa 05/10/10 - 02:02 pm
What many may not know is

What many may not know is this Islamic trained terrorist spent all his house payment money on 13 trips to Terror training camps in Pakistan AFTER he Q-U-I-T his J-O-B!
NEWSFLASH... Quiting your job & 13 Flights to Packistan would bust ANYBODYS budget.

mable8
mable8 05/10/10 - 02:09 pm
JRCH: Your Freudian Slip is

JRCH: Your Freudian Slip is showing; since Obama ben Laden is in the Middle East, I reckon we have Barak Hussein Osama in the White House. You seem rather gleeful that the US is a target for the zealots of the Middle East and hopeful that even more devastating attacks will occur on American soil in the future. The US has no desire to "dominate" the world, but I'll bet your sweet cookies the zealots of the Middle East are very eager to fulfill that goal. If that is your niche, then so be it--so why haven't you returned to your mother country. Judging from your posts, you do not behave as a PATRIOT.

carcraft
carcraft 05/10/10 - 02:20 pm
Whyisit-Here is why nobody

Whyisit-Here is why nobody should care if a News Paper wins the Pulitzer (BS) Award-www.infoukes.com/history/famine/ The New York Times got one for falsifying the truth about the Soviets killing millions in the Ukraine in the 1930's! Just another leftest group supporting Uncle Joe and his murdering of about 26 million people!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/10/10 - 03:21 pm
I have said this before, just

I have said this before, just how stupid do you have to be not to realize that as long as you have a Muslim loving Muslim president there will never be words spoken like Terrorist Muslin. Even if they were to bomb us, it would only be an isolated incident.

This will never change until he is sent back to his native culture and birth place.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/10/10 - 03:35 pm
Veterans, was there any doubt

Veterans, was there any doubt in your mind that this wasn't coming:

Outrage: Obama Administration Targets Military for Pay Reductions
Sunday, 09 May 2010 11:27 PM Article Font Size
By: Newsmax Wires

President Barack Obama — who came to power with the help of government employee unions across the nation and has lavished on them hundreds of billions in stimulus funds to keep them on federal, state and local payrolls with no strings attached — is moving to cut spending on salaries for military personnel.

This weekend The Washington Post headlined story, "Pentagon Asking Congress to Hold Back on Generous Increases in Troop Pay,” disclosed that the Obama administration is “pleading” with Congress to give military personnel a much smaller increase in pay than lawmakers have proposed.

The Pentagon contends that Congress simply has been too generous with troops during the past decade.

In fact, lawmakers have lavished so much money on troops, according to the Post, that service members are now better compensated than workers in the private sector with similar experience and education levels.

For example, the military brass claims that an average sergeant in the Army with four years of service and one dependent would receive $52,589 in annual compensation, according to the paper. This figure includes basic pay, housing, and subsistence allowances, as well as tax benefits.

Meanwhile, a U.S. postal letter carrier, with no supervisory or hazardous duty, makes approximately $80,000 a year when all benefits are factored in.

Critics of the Obama administration’s efforts to cut soldier’s pay say America’s security has been strengthened by higher pay rates, as qualified veterans are re-enlisting at record rates, reversing the problem the military witnessed just a few years ago.

"Any attempt to link rising military personnel costs with shrinking military readiness is total nonsense," said Thomas J. Tradewell Sr., who leads the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the largest and oldest major combat veterans organization.

"If the Defense Department needs a larger budget for personnel programs, then let the VFW carry that message to Congress. Just don't pin the budget blame on service members and military retirees."

Tradewell's ire was targeted this past week at Clifford L. Stanley, the Defense undersecretary of personnel and readiness, who said during recent testimony before the personnel subcommittee of the Senate Armed Services Committee: "Rising personnel costs could dramatically affect the readiness of the department."

"What's hurtful," said Tradewell, a combat-wounded Vietnam veteran from Sussex, Wis., "is a continuing perception that DoD is more concerned about the budget than they are about recruiting and retaining a professional volunteer force that's been at war now for more than eight years."

According to Stanley, last year was the military's most successful recruiting year since the establishment of the all-volunteer force in 1973.

Although advocates for military families argue that the decade-long spending spree reverses severe cuts that the military suffered in the 1990s, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and other military brass fear that the spending will threaten security in the years to come. That will mean less money to buy weapons and maintain aging equipment.

On Saturday, Gates told reporters that massive deficits can impact how the president and policy makers confront emerging threats like Iran.

Lawmakers consistently have overruled the Pentagon and mandated more-generous pay raises than requested by both the Bush and Obama administrations. Congress has also rejected attempts by the Pentagon to slow soaring healthcare costs, which Gates told reporters are "eating us alive," by raising co-pays or premiums.

The military admits the improving compensation for troops is helping retention.

For example, improvements in pay and benefits have made it more likely that sailors will stick around longer, Vice Adm. Mark E. Ferguson III, the chief of naval personnel, told the Post.

A Navy survey last year found that about 60 percent of spouses wanted their sailors to make a career of Navy life, meaning a stint of at least 20 years. In 2005, only about 20 percent of spouses felt the same way.

"I think pay was previously a concern, but it's started to change," Ferguson said. Congress had been "extremely generous" but rising personnel costs were already influencing what the Navy spends to operate, maintain and modernize its fleet, he added.

The Pentagon wants a pay raise of 1.4 percent for service members next year, an increase based on the Employment Cost Index, which the Labor Department uses to measure private-sector salary increases.

Congress, as it has for the past several years, has indicated it favors a slightly bigger bump, of 1.9 percent.

Although that extra half of a percent may not seem like much, one expert told the Post that it would accrue annually and cost about $3.5 billion over the next decade.

But congressional supporters of the men and women in the Armed Services are questioning why they are being singled out for future pay cutbacks when other government agencies and unions are not.

The U.S. Postal Service, for example, is slated to give letter carriers an increase of 1.9 percent this coming year.

And postal employees are considered to be grossly overpaid compared with their private counterparts. A postal supervisor, for example, can make $70,000 or year or more, plus significant benefits.

Last year, Congress had to help fill a $3.8 billion deficit at the federally backed agency, but there has been no discussion of salary cuts for postal employees. Instead, postal officials have focused on reducing service, including Saturday delivery.

Chillen
Chillen 05/10/10 - 03:48 pm
This man and this

This man and this administration have nothing but contempt for everyone except those in "need" of wealth redistribution or those who fit into his category of people worthy of voting (women...some, not all; latinos; african americans and young people).

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/10/10 - 04:16 pm

Thank you Nat, InChristLove and Rhetor, I sincerely appreciate your understanding. It might appear that I have hate for Cain, but I assure you, that is not the case. I pray for him nightly, just about every night. I don’t like his politics, his exaggerations, his lies (he lies by assumption), or his attitude toward our Military, and our government. I would suggest to Cain after reading where he wants me to make “salient” comments, that he does the same with the thousands of cut and pasted articles in the old AC Furum. He is such an easy target for ridicule, that most of the time I just let his posts go with no comment.

Finally, as for me “starting” our conflict, he tends to forget who truly started it, way back when he posted his first insults to me! However, it doesn’t matter one hoot who started what, I know who I can trust and depend on to post honestly, without the personal attacks. I’ll rely on those posters for decent discussions.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 05/10/10 - 04:21 pm
Interesting to note, George,

Interesting to note, George, how we manage to keep up with Military affairs! Some posters think because we've been retired and "put of touch," that we don't know what's happening in our world. Thanks for the update, CG! I received a couple yesterday that I'll send to you shortly.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 05/10/10 - 05:33 pm
What is Whyisit's obsession

What is Whyisit's obsession with the Pulitzer prize?