We've had 'enough' -- of this

Obama wants to shake you awake from the American dream

"Don't tell me words don't matter."

-- Barack Obama

No, Mr. President, we won't. We agree with you.

Two years after candidate Barack Obama sculpted a passionate campaign speech around the importance of words, he has uttered a number of red-flag phrases that have given many Americans great pause.

He said he wanted to "spread the wealth around" -- as if that's the government's job in a free country. He said small-town Americans "get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." More recently, he said, "Whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower."

Whether we like it or not? We're No. 1, and we're not going to take it anymore?

Just words?

Recently, Mr. Obama appears to have revealed his innermost thoughts again when he said this: "I do think at a certain point, you've made enough money."

Really?

Well, if words matter -- and you can't tell this president that "words don't matter" -- then that last statement says quite a lot. And it raises a ton of questions -- questions that go to the very heart of the American way, the American dream and the American system of governance.

First, it betrays a socialist bent more suited to a Latin American-style government.

It also reveals this man's thoughts as meandering miles afield from his constitutional duties. What possible business is it of the president of the United States how much money you legally and rightfully earn?

And please, Mr. President, let's be more specific:

- At what level does one reach that magical "certain point you've made enough money"? Does it differ for individuals, or is there a universal tipping point at which everyone has too much?

- Who decides what that level is? The government? At some point, will the IRS send you a letter giving you the rest of the year off?

- What should happen to someone who earns more than "enough"? Should the government take the "excess money" and "spread the wealth around"? Or should we just heap shame on someone so productive, so smart, so talented that he or she earns "too much"?

- The free market Mr. Obama claims to support establishes fairly well -- better and more honestly than any other system ever devised by mankind -- the worth of a man's skill and sweat. Was the market -- consisting of free people with the liberty of parting with their dollars in any way they see fit -- wrong in setting Bill Gates' worth? Was it wrong in determining Michael Jordan's value? Or Steven Spielberg's?

Just a few days before, Mr. Obama was touting the American dream. How dare he -- when he believes there ought to be a cap on it?

The American dream isn't, "I'd like a good job, house, family and an income where I make enough money, after which I hope the government will just take the rest." More than any other people in history, Americans feel it is their birthright to start companies and put their minds, hearts and souls into becoming all they can be. In the United States of America, the sky -- not some arbitrary government or societal cap -- used to be the limit. Not in Mr. Obama's world.

What would be the effect of saying "enough"? What would that do to human striving and creativity?

Local author Tripp Bowden quoted his old boss and mentor at Augusta National, caddy master Freddie Bennett, as saying, in golf lingo: Never let anyone tell you to lay up on a dream.

Sadly, the president of the United States just did.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 05/01/10 - 10:34 pm
They [His fellow-comrades],

They [His fellow-comrades], should never let this man speak without his wondrous Telepromter that promises everyone, everything! Because without his "prepared, calculating words," President Obama becomes transparent [gee, that sounds familiar], and reveals his true identity--a "spread-the-wealth socailist" hell-bent on destroying our Country, sector by sector, including our Military superiority that is our only defensive mechanism for fighting terrorism [I forgot, it's not terrorism, it's called something else now since the [False] Messiah Obama has come to Earth].

I saw the piece that the ACES is referring to on television when President Obama stated that at some point you have made enough money. Of course I was shocked, but even his own supporters seated directly behind him looked puzzled by the remark, and Obama spent the rest of the time trying to back track in order to minimize the damaging effect of what he had subliminally, [or better described as overtly blurting out], revealed about his ideological Marxist charactor.

Remember when your Mother told you that you could be anything you wanted to be when you grew up, even the President of the United States if you just stayed in school and worked hard. The sky was the limit, and I believed my Mother, and I believe my Mother was right when she told me I could be anything I wanted to be.
But one man, it appears, can take that all away....I used to think that was either God or Satan. And I know it's not God.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/01/10 - 10:00 pm
I think it's important to let

I think it's important to let him keep spouting his own true thoughts. If there was any doubt before Nov 2008, there should be none remaining.

chel
chel 05/01/10 - 10:02 pm
Ironic how he makes this

Ironic how he makes this statement knowing his biggest supporter is one of the richest people in the world, Oprah Winfrey. Does that pertain to her?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/01/10 - 10:09 pm
It's all about "social

It's all about "social justice." Biden said it even plainer. He said income redistribution was the right thing to do. Never mind property rights, just split it all up and give it to everyone whether they work to pay for it or not.

Like Roy in Tin Cup, the guy who tries to hit over the water hazard instead of laying up deserves the million dollars on the other side if he makes it.

GAterp
GAterp 05/01/10 - 10:22 pm
I think that when you make

I think that when you make millions in a year where you don't produce anything except derivative paper, then you have made too much money for doing nothing. The landscaper who plant flowers does more than these hedge fund managers.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 05/01/10 - 10:29 pm
The Georgia Terrapin is right

The Georgia Terrapin is right about illegal gains on Wall Street. Where derivatives are harmful to investors [the little guy like me] and the Wall Street Banks and Investment Houses are making money illegally with sub-prime Mortgages, I say shut them down. But not the honest guy enjoying this Country's opportunities through capitolism.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/01/10 - 10:36 pm
Stop guaranteeing the

Stop guaranteeing the govenment will make good bad loans of ANY KIND and the problem is solved. In every case where we have gotten in trouble... from the S and L crisis to the subprime meltdown, it has been because of government guarantees.

Taylor B
Taylor B 05/01/10 - 10:56 pm
Obama isn't a socialist, he's

Obama isn't a socialist, he's a corporatist, and Bush was one too. There is a difference. A corporatist is a socialist that knows the constitution, not to apply it, but to dodge it. Mandates unfunded by the federal government, are the undoing of our country. That and the Federal Reserve.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 05/01/10 - 11:09 pm
I agree Taylor-River, The

I agree Taylor-River, The constitution has been misinterpreted to give the Federal Government too much power...power that was reserved to the States. The Feds are mandating to the States what the States must do and not funding these so-called Federal projects, or deciding that the State's citizens should be taxed to pay for Federally mandated programs. The Feds will even threaten to cut off funds for existing programs if the States refuse to do what the Feds want them to do, meaning you and me of course. That's Blackmail!
And their latest scam--throw in the Federally backed Student Loan Program with the Health Care Law---that the States, meaning the States' citizens have to pay for even though it is unconstitutional.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 05/02/10 - 01:03 am
hussein worshippers should

hussein worshippers should keep in mind that this earning cap will be for YOU too.How much do think is enough-$14,000 a year?hussein will decide how much you need and take the rest for redistribution.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 05/02/10 - 01:49 am
this is cloward-piven

this is cloward-piven strategy to the letter.

sjgraci
sjgraci 05/02/10 - 03:08 am
How dare the chronicle take

How dare the chronicle take my friends Freddie Bennett and Tripp Bowden out of context. Both of them were and are well aware of how the haves can opress the have nots and keep the have nots from their dreams. Freddie, Tripp and I worked for Billy. We are well aware how his type can keep good men down with their power.

Give us a break chronicle. You haves have made out more than any time since the Great Depression. You have nots are never going to get anywhere close to where the haves are. Dream on, that's what they want while in the mean time they gain power over you and keep all of us further and further away from our dreams.

Learn what power is. The chronicle and Billy have it. You don't.

And chronicle, I knew Freddie, your no Freddie.

carcraft
carcraft 05/02/10 - 03:18 am
Obama supporters include

Obama supporters include George Soros, Winfrey, Robert L Johnson, (BET fame) Warren Buffet ,and a whole whole host of rich wall street fat cats. I own mutual funds and read several books and talked to a multitude of people to learn about them. Buffet never got into derivaties! Buffet said if I can't understand it I won't buy it! Buyer beware is a GREAT AMERICAN education and paid for at the school of hard knocks. It is not the governments job to keep people from their foolishness. If it was then crack would have been off the street a long time ago and the famous last words of rednecks "hay bubba watch this" never would have been uttered..NOw who protects me from the PONZI scheme called social security that I am forced into by the federal government?

carcraft
carcraft 05/02/10 - 03:47 am
sjgracie-The founders of Home

sjgracie-The founders of Home Depot have said that due to government regulation and legal actions they could not start home depot again-Who is keeping who from their dreams? www.legalreforminthenews.com/.../IBD%20Bernie%20Marcus%20Interview%201-3... Obumbler hog ties businesses and favors certain business over other's (Obumbler and congress are going to prosecute Goldman Sachs for maybe breaking the law I doubt it because good Old Goldman Sachs gave over a million to Obumbler (www.washingtonexaminer.com/.../Is-Goldman-Obamas-Enron-No-its-worse-9161... - ))!

sjgraci
sjgraci 05/02/10 - 03:48 am
Taylor B you are on to

Taylor B you are on to something but I believe you have to justify to what degree Bush and Obama are Corporatists. Socialists, both? If you really believe that, I'll agree but for opposite reasons I'm sure. Bush is at the far right of that Corporatist sphere, at times I think Obama is not far behind - afterall, he did guarantee 32 million new customers to the private health care and insurance industies and expand offshoar drilling - but let's be fair, in reality he is to the left of Bush. A Socialist? No. Anyone who suggests he is is either ignorant to political philosophies or worse, a liar. Truth is, President Obama is a Capitalist who believes in regulation of the powerful whether they be corporations or individuals. He believes in market freedom but not one that is a lawless Wild West. I believe the current Wild West needs a tough sheriff and judge.

The irony is, the bigger the businesses get, the bigger the government has to get to regulate them from being the oppressors. President Obama understands this and I agree with him 100%. The area where he and I disagree is to the degree the powerful should be regulated to keep them from oppressing those underneath them. I and many Liberals feel he has not gone far enough towards the Center. Let's be honest again, the economic freedom of this country is pretty far to the right currently. Real Socialists - they are alive and well in this country - feel he is nowhere close to center and is no different than Bush.

I don't care who you are or what you believe. Watch and listen to this speech. Barack Obama is a brilliant politician, historian, and scholar:

carcraft
carcraft 05/02/10 - 04:07 am
sjgraci-brilliant? No, he

sjgraci-brilliant? No, he reads a telepromter well, with out the teleprompter he stamers and stutters like a schoolboy talking to his first crush! (look up you tube and Obumbler stammering and stuttering). Obaumbler is a communist-he was mentored by a communist (Frank Marshall Davis), hung out with communist and socialist in college according to Dreams (probably written by William Ayers a radical), attend Wright's church that is based on communist inspired liberation theology, and has appointed communist and radicals such as Van Jones in his administration..he is not a capitalist, Bush was a soft socialist, Obama is at least a hard core socialist if not communist! here is a good analysis of Obumbler online.wsj.com/.../SB10001424052748704094304575029110104772360.html

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 05/02/10 - 05:00 am
At least he CAN read a

At least he CAN read a teleprompter, unlike the last resident of the White House. I have no problem with him making sure he says everything he wants to say in a speech.

NewHere
NewHere 05/02/10 - 05:14 am
Another waste of ink by the

Another waste of ink by the ac editorial staff, I am glad I read you for free online, I would never buy a paper from you.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/02/10 - 05:24 am
NewHere - You can take

NewHere - You can take comfort in knowing that your online clicks and page views probably do more to increase their revenue than subscribing to the print edition. Thank you for your support and have a blissful Sabbath!

justus4
justus4 05/02/10 - 05:47 am
The so-called "American

The so-called "American Dream" has always been a deception for most americans and speaking the Truth to the nation can only benefit this president. Now, those who CHOOSE to dream can continue their past time, but serious steps must be taken to right the ship. Of course those dreamers don't even know the ship is sinking and changing course, so stop quoting every single syllable the president utters cause some folks will begin to believe that U are not only dreaming, but also in fanasty land.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 05/02/10 - 05:51 am
I wonder how much of his $5.5

I wonder how much of his $5.5 million he is going to redistribute amoung the masses.surely,all the hussein worshippers are willing to take a 50% pay cut so the government can redistribute it amoung the have-nots,will-nots,and can-nots.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 05/02/10 - 05:54 am
Funny the chronicle had to

Funny the chronicle had to file bankruptcy so *DUH*

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/02/10 - 05:54 am
justus4 - I gotz minez!!!

justus4 - I gotz minez!!!

KSL
KSL 05/02/10 - 06:08 am
New, that begs the question:

New, that begs the question: Why do you read this paper on line? Wouldn't your time be spent better reading a paper you agree with, at least for the editorials?

KSL
KSL 05/02/10 - 06:10 am
Funny I've seen no difference

Funny I've seen no difference here since they did, sit. Duh!

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 05/02/10 - 06:12 am
The obamassiah likes playing

The obamassiah likes playing the race card every chance he gets, but not as much as he enjoys pushing the wealth envy button. He plays the government educated (and uneducated) fools like Charlie Daniels plays the fiddle. If you encounter an obama worshiper, you encounter a CNN parrot. Stand by for more marching orders from "maestro obama and the news". You'd think the worshipers don't know we can see them. Of course, as more wake up, their numbers are shrinking, but it's still easy to spot the obama-foolish when they post.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 05/02/10 - 06:15 am
justus,you should heed your

justus,you should heed your own advice-stop listening to hussein.

Rhetor
Rhetor 05/02/10 - 06:25 am
As usual, the Chronicle

As usual, the Chronicle quotes the President out of context so as to twist his meaning. A moment earlier, Obama said clearly that he did not begrudge the making of large amounts of money if fairly earned. He ended the quote--the end of the very same sentence, which the conservative media cut off--by saying, "you know, part of the American way is, you can just keep on making it if you're providing a good product," but the lying conservative media cut off that part of the quote, didn't they? Obviously the President must be doing a good job; otherwise, the conservative media would not feel this compulsion to squirm. ACES, even on the opinion pages, you have at least a minimal obligation to be accurate.

KSL
KSL 05/02/10 - 06:28 am
Justus, I normally don't

Justus, I normally don't address you inane posts, but I couldn't let this one go. You say: The so-called "American Dream" has always been a deception for most americans and speaking the Truth to the nation can only benefit this president. How exactly do you square up that statement with the fact that roughly 53% of Americans are supporting 47% sitting on their Be-Hinds?

KSL
KSL 05/02/10 - 06:33 am
Well, that's a great

Well, that's a great explanation, Rhetor. Takes him off the hook since he has made a huge amount of money off someone else's writings for, what did you say? A good product?

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.